Leveon averaging 3.2 yards per carry....

Sarge4Tide

23 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Honestly I’m surprised it’s that high. 

Exactly. 

It's arguably the toughest 3.2 yards per carry of any RB. 

The conversation surrounding Darnold is the same surrounding Bell...but even more so. 

Both positions depend heavily upon the Oline, but with a RB if the Oline arent creating lanes where is he supposed to run? This is one of the reasons why I had a problem with signing him knowing that there was no real effort going into the Oline. Bell's ability is his patience and vision, but neither are useful if he has no offensive line. 

The Jets literally putting the cart before the horse. 

ja.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

What I have found interesting about this season is how the coaching staff can be excused for poor performance because of the state of the roster but said individuals who’s job literally depends on other to execute effectively to be successful can’t use the same excuse ie; Bell, Darnold, Adams, etc. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

What I have found interesting about this season is how the coaching staff can be excused for poor performance because of the state of the roster but said individuals who’s job literally depends on other to execute effectively to be successful can’t use the same excuse ie; Bell, Darnold, Adams, etc. 

The blame falls on Mike Maccagnan for valuing non-impactful positions like RB, ILB and S so high while ignoring the parts of the roster we actually need, like OL, pass rush and CB, and failing to build around a potential franchise QB once he stumbled into one.  

Gase sucks but Macc was arguably the worst GM of all time.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

33 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

If he ends the season averaging 3.2 yards per carry it will be the lowest ypc for any player that lead the Jets in rushing in Franchise history.  Curtis Martin led the team in rushing in 2005 with only a 3.3. ypc average, the current lowest total

3.3??? Curtis Martin was horrible!!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Unfortunately, that's not who he is.

It's like telling Lamar Jackson to stay in the pocket all the time.  Bell likes to survey, setup blocks (typically in a man-blocking scheme) then cut and go.  The Jets continue to execute a mostly zone blocking scheme and guys like Powell immediately head to where the play is designed to go.

There is absolutely ZERO explosion coming from Bell, put his running style aside, he looks like he's running in mud, either he is finished or he is injured....neither good.

I read Pittsburgh recently offered a trade for him, but the red flag is that when Pittsburgh lets a guy walk or sends a guy off in a trade, his best days are usually far behind him.

The Jets best use of Bell at this point I think is actually to utilize him a lot in the passing game.  Watching him get hit by 3 or 4 guys before he even gets to the LOS is painful and its virtually every time he runs the ball, (raises Glass to the Jet OL, again haha)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The blame falls on Mike Maccagnan for valuing non-impactful positions like RB, ILB and S so high while ignoring the parts of the roster we actually need, like OL, pass rush and CB.  

RB is an impactful position, especially given Bells skillset to catch the ball from the backfield as well. 

The problem seems to be that GM's are treating the game of football like Basketball. You get that "one guy" and things are gonna change.  No, all that will happen is that you're going to get Luck killed an he'll retire 10 years premature.

In this sport, more often than not for you to see the potential of a superstar, you'll need to have adequate support around him to help him reach his potential. 

This false notion that every position not QB is non-impact crumbles the moment you put a Franchise QB behind revolving doors. 

Every position is impactful to the next. A WR depends on the Oline to give the QB enough time, as well as the QB being able to see the field and to make accurate timely throws. The QB needs an Oline to provide protection in order for the WR to run their route, but also run it in a way that can get them separation in order for the QB to have a target. 

Macc's problem was not having a clue what it takes to build a football team. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

RB is an impactful position, especially given Bells skillset to catch the ball from the backfield as well. 

The median salary of a starting RB in the NFL is $4M.  The median salary of a starting Right Guard is $5.7M.  

Meanwhile, the median salary of a starting Kicker is $3M.  

When you follow the money, it's pretty pathetic to consider how much we paid Le'Veon compared to the resources invested in the Offensive Line.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fun.  It must be nice to ignore evidence on a message board and blindly post your opinions.  

It is. Money isnt evidence of talent or a lack thereof, especially when many GM's have no idea what they're doing. 

How many people were thrilled when Macc paid Fitz?

How many people were against signing Cousins to a record contract? 

Kudos to Cousins for having a pretty solid season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

It is. Money isnt evidence of talent or a lack thereof, especially when many GM's have no idea what they're doing. 

When it's considered on a large scale, yes, it is relevant.

It's also relevant to point out how few elite RB's have won Super Bowls (or even been to one) versus the many middle-of-the-pack RB's that have had postseason success.  

Following the money is always relevant.

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When it's considered on a large scale, yes, it is relevant.

So relevant that spending money but having no talent around what you spend money on shows that money isnt relevant to the overall talent that I mentioned in my initial comment, as highlighted below

55 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Exactly. 

It's arguably the toughest 3.2 yards per carry of any RB. 

The conversation surrounding Darnold is the same surrounding Bell...but even more so. 

Both positions depend heavily upon the Oline, but with a RB if the Oline arent creating lanes where is he supposed to run? This is one of the reasons why I had a problem with signing him knowing that there was no real effort going into the Oline. Bell's ability is his patience and vision, but neither are useful if he has no offensive line. 

The Jets literally putting the cart before the horse. 

ja.jpg

It's not that Bell isnt worth whatever money you give him (or any player for that matter) when at the end of the day what determines success is the collective talent and the coaching that knows what to do with that talent. 

You're trying to navigate this fact into something that IS irrelevant to the actual problem. That's not ignoring evidence, that's showing that what you're presenting isnt evidence at all. 

If Bell was making the vet minimum He'd still be averaging 3.2 yards per carry because the GM didnt know how to build a team. The fact that he ignored the Oline during his entire time here is "evidence" of that. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Y3k said:

That’s pretty impressive considering that his longest carry is like 7 yards 

Shows consistency. I didnt expect the type of performance he was producing in Pitt given all of the surrounding elite talent, but I did expect consistency based on whatever he did do. 

Bell is most definitely not the problem. An offense cannot do much of anything without an offensive line. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

So relevant that spending money but having no talent around what you spend money one shows that money isnt relevant to the overall talent that I mentioned in my initial comment, as highlighted below

It's not that Bell isnt worth whatever money you give him (or any player for that matter) when at the end of the day what determines success is the collective talent and the coaching that knows what to do with that talent. 

You're trying to navigate this fact into something that IS irrelevant to the actual problem. That's not ignoring evidence, that's showing that what you're presenting isnt evidence at all. 

If Bell was making the vet minimum He'd still be averaging 3.2 yards per carry because the GM didnt know how to build a team. The fact that he ignored the Oline during his entire time here is "evidence" of that. 

You're ignoring the concept that no intelligent GM's spend big money on RB's.  The Steelers let Le'Veon walk.  The Rams are having buyer's remorse for paying Gurley.  

Good OL or bad OL, it's pretty much never worth it to spend elite money on a RB, no matter how good he is.  

We agree fully that Macc had no ability to build a team.  Worst GM of all time.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

You're ignoring the fact that no intelligent GM's spend big money on RB's.  The Steelers let Le'Veon walk.  The Rams are having buyer's remorse for paying Gurley.  

Good OL or bad OL, it's pretty much never worth it to spend elite money on a RB, no matter how good he is.  

The Steelers didnt let Le'Veon walk. Le'Veon held out for a year and then signed a contract that was less than the franchise tag the Steelers was offering. 

What the Steelers wanted to do was run Le'Veon into the ground and then kick him to the curb. Bell realized that, along with how the organization was being ran and how Roethelisberger had no respect and decided to pick up his ball and go somewhere else. 

Also, Ezekiel Elliot just signed a 6 year 90 million dollar extension, which breaks down to 15 million per. Ironically, Jerry Jones made that decision over extending Dak. 

Jones knows that he has one of the best Olines over the past few years, and still decided to inject 100 million into his RB. 

Like I said, it's not about where the money goes, it's the collective talent. 

If Zeke was a Jet he'd be averaging 3.2 yards a carry, no matter his contract. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Unfortunately, that's not who he is.

It's like telling Lamar Jackson to stay in the pocket all the time.  Bell likes to survey, setup blocks (typically in a man-blocking scheme) then cut and go.  The Jets continue to execute a mostly zone blocking scheme and guys like Powell immediately head to where the play is designed to go.

Agree... Hes not a hit the hole guy.  Hes a wait until something breaks down and push through.  Still cant believe with signing him that they wouldnt have concentrated more on the quality of the OL.  That is the problem, bottom line.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You're ignoring the concept that no intelligent GM's spend big money on RB's.  The Steelers let Le'Veon walk.  The Rams are having buyer's remorse for paying Gurley.  

We agree fully that Macc had no ability to build a team.  Worst GM of all time.  

Absolutely.

RB is the most replaceable position on the field  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The blame falls on Mike Maccagnan for valuing non-impactful positions like RB, ILB and S so high while ignoring the parts of the roster we actually need, like OL, pass rush and CB, and failing to build around a potential franchise QB once he stumbled into one.  

You don’t say?  This is the first time I’ve ever heard someone take this angle on his tenure. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JiF said:

He averaged 4.0 ypc his last year in Pittsburgh. This is why you don’t give running backs third contract. They’re washed. If you want to blame Gase for anything, blame him for not trying to convert him into a Keith Byars-type H-back

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

It made him look pretty bad how well Powell (and even Adams) ran on limited carries. 

He's playing behind a dogsh*t line, but he has to adjust and hit the holes faster. 

exactly sometimes Bell is a little too patient. Sometimes you need to bounce it outside or hit the hole like a truck. I was hoping we would utilize Bell more in the passing game than in the running game.  He never was a great runner IMHO. We need to see more of Powell and Montgomery and TBH I'm very surprised how little we see Montgomery since he is an explosive player

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wait did you just say RB was non impactful ? Thats Hilarious. Even in the case of Safety you're going to tell me Adams is Non impactful ?? Was Ed Reed Not impactful ? Polumalu ? Lott ? Harris ? Chancellor ? Lynch ? and so many more I'm not going to bother to mention. Macc Sucked there's no Doubt but when a game changing RB becomes available you pounce especially when hes 26/27 and only on his second contract. Remember the Impact Marshall Faulk had with the Rams ? If you don't want to spend on a RB in FA Im fine with that but don't say the position is non impactful that's just ridiculous.

When the next Walter Payton comes around **** it dont waste the pick ? lol

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1