More Cowbell

Since there are a lot of OL in the first round...

Would the Jets be better off trading out of the first pick they have if Thomas is available to get more picks or just get the cornerstone?

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Would the Jets be better off trading out of the first pick they have if Thomas is available to get more picks or just get the cornerstone?

Depends if they are able to lock up any studs in FA. If they can get 1-2 stud OL in FA (better guards than tackles projected to be available)...Id say stay put and draft the cornerstone. If it's a complete whiff in FA. Then id say maybe trade back to middle first round and still get a solid OT/OG and have extra picks to spend elsewhere (CB/EDGE/WR). 

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Given where our roster is at, I think Douglas would need to listen to any offers.  That said, if there is a guy on the board like Thomas, and if JD thinks Thomas can be a Pro-Bowl caliber OT who can protect Sam's blindside for the next decade, then just take him.  Don't get cute, look for more picks and end up with the next Ereck Flowers instead.  Exception would be if someone is really willing to overpay to move to the Jets spot -- if Thomas is on the board and someone offers up two 1s and a 2, or a package like that to move back a few slots you have to consider it.  Likely a moot point though, as I don't think we will be picking high enough for Thomas.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

If they could trade down get an extra second this year and a first next year that would be awesome. But every win the team has pushes them farther away. 

You go with Thomas for sure. Seems to be head and shoulders above the pack and the guy most likely to play at a high level right away. Would give us some depth too at the position and the options to move guys around. When the top need guy is also the BAP you don't pass that up.

No idea where the Jets will be picking....5, 7, 9?  BUT if Andrew Thomas is there I think you absolutely make that pick.  He's the best LT prospect, it's a premium position, and it's a deep need for the Jets.  If he's gone I'd look to trade back and accumulate picks.  I'm on record as saying I'd even consider trading back twice.  Maybe from 8 to 12 and then 12 to 15, trying to get additional 2nd round picks.  I'd love to have 4 picks in the first two Rounds.  The Jets could get a starting Center, starting WR, a quality (even if not elite) OT, and a CB or Edge guy.  THAT kicks off a great Draft before we even get to the two picks we have in the 3rd round to go after OG and more WR prospects.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

No, trade Adams in the offseason and have multiple first round picks

On 11/21/2019 at 9:50 PM, Irish Jet said:

You go with Thomas for sure. Seems to be head and shoulders above the pack and the guy most likely to play at a high level right away. Would give us some depth too at the position and the options to move guys around. When the top need guy is also the BAP you don't pass that up.

I don't agree.  Two OTs from Iowa in Jackson and Wirfs and you have Tre Adams from Washington and Niang from TCU.  

1 hour ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I don't agree.  Two OTs from Iowa in Jackson and Wirfs and you have Tre Adams from Washington and Niang from TCU.  

Not arguing, only going by some reports and stuff I’ve read which seem to he indicating as much. Don’t watch a lot of CFB.

23 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Not arguing, only going by some reports and stuff I’ve read which seem to he indicating as much. Don’t watch a lot of CFB.

I am not gung ho on him as some on this board. Don't get me wrong he is a top tackle but when I watch him he is a better run blocker than a pass blocker. At the University of Georgia they play more of a Bill Parcells running the backs and beating down on that defensive line. Unlike LSU that pass the ball and Alabama which mixes the run game and pass game you see a better pass blocker since they run more plays in that format.   

• Upvote 1

On 12/3/2019 at 6:30 PM, Tony The Wiz said:

This is the perfect year to draft a tackle in the first round, the jets will be able to get one, make the non sexy pick and move on.