2020 Draft Will Douglas End the Madness

Rob123

My first draft as a Jets fan was 1995, the year they took Kyle Brady.  I then listened to the explanation where Kotite said “there were no good pass rushers after Mamula”, (yet they took Douglas at 16) and how he planned to employ a two tight end set.  For the younger fans  a two tight end set had not been employed since the 1960s and this was ridiculed at the time.  In the 1995 draft the Jets had 2 first round picks and managed to pass on 4 future HOFers in Sapp, Brooks, Law and Martin. At  the time I thought, “the Jet organization will learn from this draft”- boy was I wrong. 

Can anyone glean anything about Douglas that gives an indication about how he will conduct a draft?  I want to know this- will Joe Douglas actually draft players based on their ability to play in the NFL at major areas of need for the Jets?  For years the Jets have taken an “out of the box” approach that has been an unmitigated disaster.  Dave Gettleman is actually right when  he says picks 1 through 3 should be  gold jacket guys.

I started with Kotite to bring up the ridiculous justification he gave for taking Brady at the time.  Since that time we have gotten so many more and Joe Douglas needs to end it.  When one looks at  the  ugly draft  history it is crystal clear it is the result of out of the box thinking.  Ownership has  constantly hired executives who want to reinvent the wheel. Will Joe Douglas be the guy to end the ridiculous excuses given for down right bad picks?

Remember these examples of Jet GM’s doing everything but drafting the best players at positions of need but instead thinking outside the box:

Calvin Prior, “we want a swiss army knife for the defense” this makes little sense and not how you employ a first round pick.  It gets lost just how dumb  of a pick this was.  They had no QB and they passed on Garappolo, Carr and Bridgewater.  They also passed on Jarvis Landry.  This pick represents how skewed the Jet philosophy has been in that they don’t draft the  best players for positions of need. Anyone longing for Bowles remember this pick. It still boggles my mind they came  out and said they were  not drafting the best  player available at  a position of need.  What was worse taking Prior or the belief that  Bowles was such a genius he could actually take him and make  him into some defensive force the likes which nobody has  ever seen before.

Hackenberg, Polite,  and many others fell into “this player has a great deal of potential”.  Two wasted picks that could have been avoided had Maccagnan just picked players to help the team win and build and not potential only he saw.  His attitude was driven by ego- he wanted to find a guy where he could say only he saw his potential and in the end it hurt the Jets and cost him his job.  The Jets must stop evaluating players based on how they would perform in a perfect world where everything breaks the right way for them. 

Vernon Gholston-“he wowed us at the combine” which to me really says “even though nobody said he was one of the best players in the nation, watching his tape shows he isn’t one of the best players in the nation, we as an organization really can’t decide who to take so we will take this guy because he is impressive in the weight room”. 

You also had a great deal of “over drafting”.  Sanchez, Milliner and others were not terrible players, the Jets just graded them much higher than anyone else. It is almost if they thought drafting a player higher would make him better. I am hoping Douglas came in and said draft prep would consist  of the exact opposite of what  it had been the  past 10 years.

Even when their "gambles" supposedly work out they do not.  Look at Chris Herndon.  The Jets took Herndon for the same reason they took Polite.  They thought they were getting a first round talent that had fallen as a result of injury and other issues.  I think they were correct and when healthy he is a first round talent.  Unfortunately, he has always had an injury history going back to college.  He missed virtually all of this year and contributed nothing.  Look at it this way- the Jets just gave up their future to draft Darnold.  They knew the line was weak and they knew they didn't have a number 1 receiver.  They knew they traded away picks they would not have  in the future.  Under those circumstances they should have been drafting to protect their investment in Darnold and give him the weapons he needed.

The Jets need to just draft the best players at  positions of need with no out of the box gambles.

I have read a number of interesting articles that went deeper into Jet draft failures.  One very interesting one talked about how the past 10 years the Jets place  a premium on interior defensive linemen and how this is an awful approach.  The numbers indicate quality players can be found  in the 4th  round on and someone should inform the Jets front  office about this.  

Another article asked the question “why do the Jets draft so many tight ends”?  This was interesting because it pointed out McCagnan drafted Wesco in the 4th round and this was much higher than any other teams graded him.  It also pointed out the main reason was Wesco was a blocking  tight end and the Jets line was weak and that this flawed thinking is what harms them.  When a team has a weak line you draft the best players  to strengthen the line- you don’t spend a 4th round pick on a blocking tight end.  What makes it worse is they took Herndon in the year before and a player of Wesco’s skill could be had as an undrafted free agent.  The article pointed out that  tight end is a luxury position but for some reason- going back to Brady in 1995 the Jets constantly over value tight ends and draft them from positions no other teams would.

I  believe the Jets are at  a critical point. The Jets gave up a great deal for Darnold.  He is a very talented QB but he needs a line and a legitimate number 1 receiver.  If he does not have that next year I think they might as well draft another quarterback.  There is more riding  on this draft because of this and the last thing the Jets need is a gm that wants to get cute.  Polite, Hackenberg, and even Wesco are examples of MacCagnon trying to show everyone how smart he was.  

The Jets have clear areas of need and this draft is incredibly deep in those areas.  The Jets have the ability to build a stellar o-line and get a number 1 receiver in this draft- all before the fourth  round.  The Jets can literally take 3 offensive linemen with their first 3 picks, then take a receiver with the extra third rounder and give Darnold what he needs.  They can then use rounds 4 through 7 for quality defensive players that will be available.

This was a long way of asking if Douglas will be different than his predecessors based on anything anyone knows or heard about in his past.  Is he the type to employ the out of the box thinking that has led to a stagnant Jets team not making the playoffs in a decade? Or is he the type that will say "for 20 years people have been trying to reinvent the wheel and I won't do that".

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

5 minutes ago, Rob123 said:

This was a long way of asking if Douglas will be different than his predecessors based on anything anyone knows or heard about in his past. 

No one really knows.  But the difference between Macc and Douglas is vast when you look at pedigree.  Mike Maccagnan was about to get fired by the Texans.  Douglas is a highly-renowned scout from 2 highly thought of organizations, whose owner reluctantly had to let him take this job.  

It's no fun assuming he'll suck at drafting.  If he does, we're screwed for a very long time, because the Johnson's will be directly hiring the next GM after Douglas (unlike this time around, where Gase played a major role in bringing Douglas in).  I prefer to assume he'll be good at it, and thus advocate we get him as many picks as possible.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 tight end sets were not unheard of in 1995.  The Jets were trotting Barkum and Shuler out there plenty.  Rocky Klever too. 

Douglas is supposed to be a production over metrics guy.  Not my preference, but that is what they say.  There is no smoking gun that will indicate a guy is a good drafter or a bad drafter, but they supposed key with Douglas is that he is very good at understanding and explaining what he is looking for and describing what he sees between coaches and scouts.  That is the key because plenty of times a guy will fall in love, but if he can't put it into words it gets lost. 

It's going to be interesting.  I don't think the Jets drafting has been as bad as most.  They made plenty of mistakes sure, but so does every other team.  The key to me is the loser psychology of here we go again.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think the Jets drafting has been as bad as most.  They made plenty of mistakes sure, but so does every other team.  

The key stat is the % of players since 2015 that were taken by the Jets but are out of the league entirely, which from 2015-18 was the highest % in the league by far.  That both shows Macc couldn't identify talent, worse than any other GM in that span, AND you can't pin his failures on Bowles or Gase.  

The latest example of this is about to be Jachai Polite.  Cut by the Douglas/Gase Jets, then bounced to the Seahawks and now the Rams Practice Squad.  A 2019 3rd round pick who hasn't played a single snap in the league and isn't even currently on an active roster.  That's damning, and the same sh*t we saw out of Macc drafts every year, and more often than any other team had it occur. 

Parry Nickerson was the next most recent example:  He Hasn't played since 2018, he's spent time on the Seahawks and then Jaguars PS in 2019.  ArDarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, Jordan Leggett, Dylan Donohue, Jeremy Clark, Derrick Jones, Christian Hackenberg, Lorenzo Mauldin, Bryce Petty, Jarvis Harrison, Deon Simon......all out of the league.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Top 50 Available Free Agents List http://bit.ly/2xg0DQ3  #NFL

EJ7Tm7hWoA8Yu_I.jpg

Yes, I'm sure we'll get a lot of those to want to come here without overpaying.  

And lol that this list has Antonio Brown as the # 1 free agent.  I'm sure people will be banging down the doors to sign him to a mega-contract.

29 minutes ago, Rob123 said:

My first draft as a Jets fan was 1995, the year they took Kyle Brady.  I then listened to the explanation where Kotite said “there were no good pass rushers after Mamula”, (yet they took Douglas at 16) and how he planned to employ a two tight end set.  For the younger fans  a two tight end set had not been employed since the 1960s and this was ridiculed at the time.  In the 1995 draft the Jets had 2 first round picks and managed to pass on 4 future HOFers in Sapp, Brooks, Law and Martin. At  the time I thought, “the Jet organization will learn from this draft”- boy was I wrong. 

Can anyone glean anything about Douglas that gives an indication about how he will conduct a draft?  I want to know this- will Joe Douglas actually draft players based on their ability to play in the NFL at major areas of need for the Jets?  For years the Jets have taken an “out of the box” approach that has been an unmitigated disaster.  Dave Gettleman is actually right when  he says picks 1 through 3 should be  gold jacket guys.

I started with Kotite to bring up the ridiculous justification he gave for taking Brady at the time.  Since that time we have gotten so many more and Joe Douglas needs to end it.  When one looks at  the  ugly draft  history it is crystal clear it is the result of out of the box thinking.  Ownership has  constantly hired executives who want to reinvent the wheel. Will Joe Douglas be the guy to end the ridiculous excuses given for down right bad picks?

Remember these examples of Jet GM’s doing everything but drafting the best players at positions of need but instead thinking outside the box:

Calvin Prior, “we want a swiss army knife for the defense” this makes little sense and not how you employ a first round pick.  It gets lost just how dumb  of a pick this was.  They had no QB and they passed on Garappolo, Carr and Bridgewater.  They also passed on Jarvis Landry.  This pick represents how skewed the Jet philosophy has been in that they don’t draft the  best players for positions of need. Anyone longing for Bowles remember this pick. It still boggles my mind they came  out and said they were  not drafting the best  player available at  a position of need.  What was worse taking Prior or the belief that  Bowles was such a genius he could actually take him and make  him into some defensive force the likes which nobody has  ever seen before.

Hackenberg, Polite,  and many others fell into “this player has a great deal of potential”.  Two wasted picks that could have been avoided had Maccagnan just picked players to help the team win and build and not potential only he saw.  His attitude was driven by ego- he wanted to find a guy where he could say only he saw his potential and in the end it hurt the Jets and cost him his job.  The Jets must stop evaluating players based on how they would perform in a perfect world where everything breaks the right way for them. 

Vernon Gholston-“he wowed us at the combine” which to me really says “even though nobody said he was one of the best players in the nation, watching his tape shows he isn’t one of the best players in the nation, we as an organization really can’t decide who to take so we will take this guy because he is impressive in the weight room”. 

You also had a great deal of “over drafting”.  Sanchez, Milliner and others were not terrible players, the Jets just graded them much higher than anyone else. It is almost if they thought drafting a player higher would make him better. I am hoping Douglas came in and said draft prep would consist  of the exact opposite of what  it had been the  past 10 years.

Even when their "gambles" supposedly work out they do not.  Look at Chris Herndon.  The Jets took Herndon for the same reason they took Polite.  They thought they were getting a first round talent that had fallen as a result of injury and other issues.  I think they were correct and when healthy he is a first round talent.  Unfortunately, he has always had an injury history going back to college.  He missed virtually all of this year and contributed nothing.  Look at it this way- the Jets just gave up their future to draft Darnold.  They knew the line was weak and they knew they didn't have a number 1 receiver.  They knew they traded away picks they would not have  in the future.  Under those circumstances they should have been drafting to protect their investment in Darnold and give him the weapons he needed.

The Jets need to just draft the best players at  positions of need with no out of the box gambles.

I have read a number of interesting articles that went deeper into Jet draft failures.  One very interesting one talked about how the past 10 years the Jets place  a premium on interior defensive linemen and how this is an awful approach.  The numbers indicate quality players can be found  in the 4th  round on and someone should inform the Jets front  office about this.  

Another article asked the question “why do the Jets draft so many tight ends”?  This was interesting because it pointed out McCagnan drafted Wesco in the 4th round and this was much higher than any other teams graded him.  It also pointed out the main reason was Wesco was a blocking  tight end and the Jets line was weak and that this flawed thinking is what harms them.  When a team has a weak line you draft the best players  to strengthen the line- you don’t spend a 4th round pick on a blocking tight end.  What makes it worse is they took Herndon in the year before and a player of Wesco’s skill could be had as an undrafted free agent.  The article pointed out that  tight end is a luxury position but for some reason- going back to Brady in 1995 the Jets constantly over value tight ends and draft them from positions no other teams would.

I  believe the Jets are at  a critical point. The Jets gave up a great deal for Darnold.  He is a very talented QB but he needs a line and a legitimate number 1 receiver.  If he does not have that next year I think they might as well draft another quarterback.  There is more riding  on this draft because of this and the last thing the Jets need is a gm that wants to get cute.  Polite, Hackenberg, and even Wesco are examples of MacCagnon trying to show everyone how smart he was.  

The Jets have clear areas of need and this draft is incredibly deep in those areas.  The Jets have the ability to build a stellar o-line and get a number 1 receiver in this draft- all before the fourth  round.  The Jets can literally take 3 offensive linemen with their first 3 picks, then take a receiver with the extra third rounder and give Darnold what he needs.  They can then use rounds 4 through 7 for quality defensive players that will be available.

This was a long way of asking if Douglas will be different than his predecessors based on anything anyone knows or heard about in his past.  Is he the type to employ the out of the box thinking that has led to a stagnant Jets team not making the playoffs in a decade? Or is he the type that will say "for 20 years people have been trying to reinvent the wheel and I won't do that".

I’ll believe it when I see it. Until then my expectations aren’t very high. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Douglas is supposed to be a production over metrics guy.  Not my preference, but that is what they say.

Why is that not your preference?

I don't think the Jets drafting has been as bad as most.

Really? :blink:

The key to me is the loser psychology of here we go again.

So it's not the Jets bad drafting......it's fan's bad attitude about our drafting that is the real problem?

:-k

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Shouldn’t this be in the NFL transaction thread?

2020 Will Douglas End The Madness is this thread, it correlates with this as these guys will probably still be available. 

NFL Transacation,Injuries.News 

In my opinion it belongs here. 

Thanks though I do value your opinion. 

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one really knows.  But the difference between Macc and Douglas is vast when you look at pedigree.  Mike Maccagnan was about to get fired by the Texans.  Douglas is a highly-renowned scout from 2 highly thought of organizations, whose owner reluctantly had to let him take this job.  

It's no fun assuming he'll suck at drafting.  If he does, we're screwed for a very long time, because the Johnson's will be directly hiring the next GM after Douglas (unlike this time around, where Gase played a major role in bringing Douglas in).  I prefer to assume he'll be good at it, and thus advocate we get him as many picks as possible.  

I’m confident of one thing and it’s the most pertinent to the Jets situation today.  The Jets LUCKED into a Franchise QB who at least one analyst, maybe more, feels as though he has a chance to be the best QB in the entire NFL.  The Jets have not had a QB since Joe Namath where that would have been said even by 1 person.

That being said, it is of the utmost importance that the potential Franchise QB be given every tool imaginable in order to succeed and that begins with protecting him.  Douglas not only knows this, he knows OL very well having played it.  I’m very confident that Darnold will be getting way more time in his 3rd year throwing from something called a “pocket”, the Jets can’t create that, haven’t been able to for Darnold’s entire short career, and he’ll be able to go through MANY Reads....and he’s going to create lots of havoc for the NFL, whether he’s inside or outside that pocket, same way I predicted Mahomes would.

Douglas is going to do it right, from the inside out.  He’s going to build the OL and then the skill positions.

Drafting a player for need at the top of the draft will get you into just as much trouble as drafting  the best available player, over-all. 

Look at the players they drafted for need in the 1st round :

Blair Thomas, Mike Haight, Roger Vick ( yes a dam Fullback for cripes sakes) , Quinton Coples, ( a real reach) ,  Kyle Wilson, Dave Cadigan.... it goes on - you can argue that Cadigan was a top rated sure thing at that position but a guard at #8?

There's no formula or guarantee to say a pick of need is going to be a good one to fill a position for 5-7 years. It's still a crap shoot.

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The key stat is the % of players since 2015 that were taken by the Jets but are out of the league entirely, which from 2015-18 was the highest % in the league by far.

NOt contradicting, but...  is there a source for this stat? A link. On initail reading it FEELS correct, that's for sure.

Darron Lee will either continue as a ST player or be outta the NFL soon.

7 minutes ago, Bomberjet said:

Drafting a player for need at the top of the draft will get you into just as much trouble as drafting  the best available player, over-all. 

Look at the players they drafted for need in the 1st round :

Blair Thomas, Mike Haight, Roger Vick ( yes a dam Fullback for cripes sakes) , Quinton Coples, ( a real reach) ,  Kyle Wilson, Dave Cadigan.... it goes on - you can argue that Cadigan was a top rated sure thing at that position but a guard at #8?

There's no formula or guarantee to say a pick of need is going to be a good one to fill a position for 5-7 years. It's still a crap shoot.

well, look what BPA has done for the Jets as of recently.  a safety and bunch of mediocre d-linemen

• Upvote 2

If I'm Douglas I draft offensive line with the first 3 picks. OT, C, G all from top end schools so that they are battle tested. Next I draft the best CB available. After that I get an OLB/Pass rusher. Next best WR available, and last but not least, one last G/T for depth. Lol if drafted this way from good schools.... Jets 10-6 in 2020.

31 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

2020 Will Douglas End The Madness is this thread, it correlates with this as these guys will probably still be available. 

NFL Transacation,Injuries.News 

In my opinion it belongs here. 

Thanks though I do value your opinion. 

My god, is there any joke you don't take seriously?

11 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

NOt contradicting, but...  is there a source for this stat? A link. On initail reading it FEELS correct, that's for sure.

Darron Lee will either continue as a ST player or be outta the NFL soon.

There was a whole thread on it many months ago. I believe it was started by @Sperm Edwards

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Rob123 said:

TDDR

Too depressing, didn't read.  ? 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, I'm sure we'll get a lot of those to want to come here without overpaying.  

Anonymous FA Offensive Lineman:  "Yeah, the Jets are interested in me so I went and spoke to some current players like Jamal Adams and Quincy Enunwa, and contacted some former players like Jordan Leggett and Kelechi Osemele to get a sense for what it's like there.  Long story, short.....I'm flying to visit the Bengals tomorrow."

• Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I’m confident of one thing and it’s the most pertinent to the Jets situation today.  The Jets LUCKED into a Franchise QB who at least one analyst, maybe more, feels as though he has a chance to be the best QB in the entire NFL.  The Jets have not had a QB since Joe Namath where that would have been said even by 1 person.

Okay...let's take a deep breath now.  I absolutely love Darnold on this team and think he can definitely achieve top-5 status in a year or two.  But as long as Patrick Mahomes is standing upright and playing for Andy Reid, he's the guy.  Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson are having themselves incredible seasons right now, but what Mahomes has done the past year and half is beyond belief.  He is the best QB on the planet.  And this comes from a guy who was very skeptical of him leading up to the draft that year.  

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Bomberjet said:

To me, the idea should be to draft the player that imrpoves your team the most.  This is not always the best player.  Last year, IMO, Josh Allen would have imrpoved the roster most, and he was the guy I wanted to see us pick. 

Alas, Macc never asked my opinion and now we have QW instead.

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Okay...let's take a deep breath now.  I absolutely love Darnold on this team and think he can definitely achieve top-5 status in a year or two.  But as long as Patrick Mahomes is standing upright and playing for Andy Reid, he's the guy.  Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson are having themselves incredible seasons right now, but what Mahomes has done the past year and half is beyond belief.  He is the best QB on the planet.  And this comes from a guy who was very skeptical of him leading up to the draft that year.  

I agree Mahomes will always be the #1 and I not only wanted the Jets to draft him at 6 but thought he’d do a Dan Marino on the league in his first starting action.  That being said I should have provided more clarity in the post.  The facts are that many analysts think the Jets have a very valuable asset right now in their young QB, I agree, it would make just pure common sense to protect him and give him the tools to succeed.......I’m pretty sure Douglas will and Gase will want the same because that’s actually in THEIR OWN best interests to make it happen.

The irony I just realized from this article that the player most often bemoaned as not being selected with the Kyle Brady pick is Warren Sapp.  An IDL!  But he really made a difference.   If Quinnen ends up like Sapp or Donald he would be worth that pick, but I don't think he will.

Brooks and Law were both products of their teams as well.   

Everything we know leads to optimism on Douglas.  We shall see.  

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

If I'm Douglas, I draft nothing, but safeties and interior defensive lineman (who are runs stuffers, but not pass rushers) to watch the city burn

The vast majority of the fans on this board will love him for it and tell me how stupid I am as it taking the run stopping DT was his only real choice.  It's the pick he had to make - after all he was the best player available, maybe the best player in the whole draft.

And then I'll be told that the offensive lineman taken at 10 - which would be our 10 year LT, would have been too much of a reach. 

Absurd...really is.