New York Jets - Sack Artists

BettyBoop

10 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Adams is a game changer.  That is a player you keep and build around.  Forget the nonsense about only QB and offensive skill positions "win games".  

CB's don't win games for you ???  Revis, Prime Time

LB's don't win games for you ??? LT, Ray Lewis

Safeties don't win games for you ??? Ed Reed. Jamal Adams

Special players win games for you at any position...

Greg Williams has done a masterful job with what he has to work with.  Both tactically and keeping the players focused and on track.

Image result for smart man gifs
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

If so, it's another $3.5mm cap savings by cutting McClenndon.

nope. he resigned earlier this year and is good for the young guys. (way more so than mcclown was for sam, cos he can actually play the position well.)

On March 14, 2019, McClendon re-signed with the Jets.[4] He signed a one-year contract extension on October 12, 2019 through the 2020 season.[5]

42 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

you've joined separate universes.

reed got the ball.

reed had 21 int in his 1st 3 years.

jamowf has 2. TWO!!!

Who else was on that Ravens defense ??? Who's on the Jets defense ???

What role did Ed Reed play in that defense ??? What role does Adams play ???  Who was the FS and who was the SS ??? Where do you have a chance to freelance and grab ints ??? How many sacks did Ed have in his first two years ??? How many tackles ???

I'd venture to say that you are complicating the obvious and trivializing the momentous... 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

The Jets defense has recorded 12 sacks in the last two games while getting only 13 in their previous eight.  What is the reason for the jump?  

• The opponents were the Giants and the Redskins... playing rookie QB's who hold the ball too long in lost seasons

better

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

The Jets defense has recorded 12 sacks in the last two games while getting only 13 in their previous eight.  What is the reason for the jump?  Well two things.

• In the last two games Bless Austin and Arthur Maulet played outside CB while Trumaine, Roberts, Hairston and others manned those spots.  Bless and Maulet have been a revelation back there allowing more time for the front seven to attack the QB.
  • The opponents were the Giants and the Redskins, not exactly juggernauts.  However, in the Giants other eight games the G-Men allowed 3.8 sacks/game and the Redskins allowed 3.25 sacks/game.  So the Jets were doing something right.

I think this tells us a few things.

•  If Douglas can find two capable CB next year, the defense will improve drastically.
  • Perhaps Bless can be the #2 CB if he stays on the field and Maulet may be a key reserve.  Two huge gets for next season.
  • Perhaps Sheppard, Fotokasi and Phillips can be the core (with Q) of a solid DL rotation.  If so, it's another $3.5mm cap savings by cutting McClenndon.

Will be awesome if it continues.

The most laughable thing is the pure irony.  After what seems like decades of wasting draft capital and huge amounts of salary cap on the D-Line while virtually TOTALLY neglecting the Offensive side of the ball which of course resulted in a lopsided, strangely configured team, which actually wasn't all that great on defense, outside of a couple of years, and the unit most invested in, the D-Line really never got all that much pressure on QB's.

Now, suddenly, with a D-Line put together from what appears to be almost "loose change found on a sidewalk", the current Jet D-Line is performing better than most coming before it over the last 2 decades.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

The Jets defense has recorded 12 sacks in the last two games while getting only 13 in their previous eight.  What is the reason for the jump?  Well two things.

• In the last two games Bless Austin and Arthur Maulet played outside CB while Trumaine, Roberts, Hairston and others manned those spots.  Bless and Maulet have been a revelation back there allowing more time for the front seven to attack the QB.
  • The opponents were the Giants and the Redskins, not exactly juggernauts.  However, in the Giants other eight games the G-Men allowed 3.8 sacks/game and the Redskins allowed 3.25 sacks/game.  So the Jets were doing something right.

I think this tells us a few things.

•  If Douglas can find two capable CB next year, the defense will improve drastically.
  • Perhaps Bless can be the #2 CB if he stays on the field and Maulet may be a key reserve.  Two huge gets for next season.
  • Perhaps Sheppard, Fotokasi and Phillips can be the core (with Q) of a solid DL rotation.  If so, it's another $3.5mm cap savings by cutting McClenndon.

austin and maulet have been a big help.  for what it's worth esny had a video of what the jets were doing and to me it looks like the corners and safeties are playing the coverage schemes right.  the jets are disguising their coverages and secondary are making the right reads so they cover the right player and don't get jumbled up.  in many games this season they looked confused and just covering the wrong guys.

but this speaks to a couple of things.  the first is overall physical talent is nice but doesn't necessarily mean a good player if he's out of position or can't recognize the offensive set or play and so on.  the jets may have found a couple of guys in maulet and austin who have the good attributes.

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

austin and maulet have been a big help.  for what it's worth esny had a video of what the jets were doing and to me it looks like the corners and safeties are playing the coverage schemes right.  the jets are disguising their coverages and secondary are making the right reads so they cover the right player and don't get jumbled up.  in many games this season they looked confused and just covering the wrong guys.

but this speaks to a couple of things.  the first is overall physical talent is nice but doesn't necessarily mean a good player if he's out of position or can't recognize the offensive set or play and so on.  the jets may have found a couple of guys in maulet and austin who have the good attributes.

Agreed.

IF Bless and Maulet can be relied upon as capable #2 and #3 CB next year, that's a huge bonus for Douglas.  Instead of having to find three new CB, he "only" will need to find one.  HUGE.  Bless may ultimately turn out to be a legit #1, but it would be foolish to assume that going into 2020.

Under these circumstances that would leave only one more spot to be filled on the defense; a OLB/pass rusher and there are several decent options available in free agency.  Imagine having the "anti-Mac" draft of virtually all OL!

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

All good points. I’d add that Jamal Adams has been wreaking havoc. When he comes full speed from the outside, both OT’s and RB’s are going to have trouble even slowing him down. 

Looking at the matchup/prediction on ESPN... raiders insider says... 

"Bold prediction: The Raiders will not allow a sack by Jets safety Jamal Adams, who is coming off a three-sack game and has six on the season. "If you don't account for that guy," Raiders quarterback Derek Carr said, "he can ruin a football game." -- Paul Gutierrez"

what would you place the odds at , as a betting prop??  Curious.

16 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Safeties don't win games for you ??? Ed Reed. Jamal Adams

Ed Reed started more playoff games in his career (15) than Jamal Adams'-led Jets have won (12) in the regular season over 2.5 years.  

Ed Reed also averaged over 6 INT per season (including playoffs) over his career.  Jamal averages less than 1 per season.  

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is who we are.  I was very disappointed that against the better teams, we have gone conservative on d.  Rushing 4 against the pats 2 straight games was pathetic.

Keep the pressure on greg.  We might get beat deep a few times but thats ok.  We are dictating what we do.  Not the other way around.

Actually we are mostly rushing 4 now, but we are using all different combinations of players to be the 4 and it is proving hard to diagnose and defend and the outside CBs are also huge upgrades the last couple days. This week is a hige barometer for us on what we really are.

16 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Looking at the matchup/prediction on ESPN... raiders insider says... 

"Bold prediction: The Raiders will not allow a sack by Jets safety Jamal Adams, who is coming off a three-sack game and has six on the season. "If you don't account for that guy," Raiders quarterback Derek Carr said, "he can ruin a football game." -- Paul Gutierrez"

what would you place the odds at , as a betting prop??  Curious.

If he doesn't get a sack then the Raiders are overly focused on him and I think others on the Jets we eat some lunch....maybe Jenkins, Anderson, perhaps QW.

What's being done right now by Gregg Williams with an exceptionally talented, multi-dimensional defender like Adams on an otherwise bad defense is incredible.  I know the Hyperbole Police come out when someone tries to compare Adams to Ed Reed or cites that Jamal has more sacks than Khalil Mack, but so what.  I'll take it a step further....Jamal is being moved around and used in so many different ways that it reminds me of what Belichick was doing with Lawrence Taylor in the early 80's before opponents caught on.  LT was such a dynamic, unstoppable force as a blitzing LB that offenses, particularly Bill Walsh's 49ers, had to innovate and change blocking schemes, leave tailbacks in to block, turn tailbacks into pass-catchers to force the OLB to hesitate on a pass rush, etc.  No, Jamal Adams isn't LT, but there is no place on the field that Jamal Adams doesn't come from....the deep Safety spot creeping up, lining up at the LOS outside and sliding over to blitz up the middle on Dak's 2-point conversion attempt, jumping over the offensive line to grab Daniel Jones from behind, and of course outside blitzes.  This has been fun to watch and I'm really curious as to whether Oakland stays base against him or truly gameplans to try to neutralize him.

One last thought on the Raiders O vs the Jets D - I think the game comes down to the following 4 people.  How successful are TE Darren Waller and RB Josh Jacobs in comparison to S Jamal Adams and DT Quinnen Williams?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

e are using all different combinations of players to be the 4 and it is proving hard to diagnose and defend

by teams with marginal upside rookie QBs on really really bad teams....

i've already said that i wouldnt bet this game...  some traditional thjings are going against raiders,

cross country early game, classic look past opponent game...    but WHO WE REALLY ARE...

i fear no QB pressure returns...  while we hang with them mostly when its our D vs their O

and our OL gets gradually dominated and pehaps turnovers return for Sam. hope i am wrong man.

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I know the Hyperbole Police come out when someone tries to compare Adams to Ed Reed or cites that Jamal has more sacks than Khalil Mack, but so what.  I'll take it a step further

No, Jamal Adams isn't LT, but there is no place on the field that Jamal Adams doesn't come from....

One last thought on the Raiders O vs the Jets D - I think the game comes down to the following 4 people.  How successful are TE Darren Waller and RB Josh Jacobs in comparison to S Jamal Adams and DT Quinnen Williams?

good post. i dont really agree much, but so WHAT?! For me, I have seen plenny blitzes by ADAMS where he doesnt get home and we give up huge chunks. I fear he gets stonewalled by their blocking FB/TE..and then we got one of our slow LBs getting scorched upfield. 

I get a sneaky suspicion that he wont blitz Adams much...  try to use him as a "decoy" blitzer. 

The last bit I quoted is most interesting to me.

Also, we're bad on 3rd down.. and Renfrow has been surging.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Losmeister said:

you've joined separate universes.

reed got the ball.

reed had 21 int in his 1st 3 years.

jamowf has 2. TWO!!!

Yes and Ed Reed had all of 6 sacks HIS ENTIRE 12 year  CAREER!!

Jamal has 11.5 sacks in 3 years, LOL!!! 

and more to come....

Seriously but the comparison thing with 2 players on 2 teams with different roles -  Reed being a FS, that's not a fair comparison.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

good post. i dont really agree much, but so WHAT?! For me, I have seen plenny blitzes by ADAMS where he doesnt get home and we give up huge chunks. I fear he gets stonewalled by their blocking FB/TE..and then we got one of our slow LBs getting scorched upfield. 

I get a sneaky suspicion that he wont blitz Adams much...  try to use him as a "decoy" blitzer. 

The last bit I quoted is most interesting to me.

Also, we're bad on 3rd down.. and Renfrow has been surging.

Yup, quite honestly if there's one guy who could kill the Jets it might be Renfrow more than any of those others!

3 minutes ago, Bomberjet said:

Yes and Ed Reed had all of 6 sacks HIS ENTIRE 12 year  CAREER!!

Jamal has 11.5 sacks in 3 years, LOL!!! 

and more to come....

It's been fun watching the mental gymnastics that some people around here play trying to prove a falsehood that Jamal Adams isn't an excellent, game changing defender.  I can just imagine some people watching on TV as Jamal Adams strips the football and runs into the end zone for a TD.....As everyone in the living room is cheering they slowly standup and walk to the bathroom muttering, "well...it wasn't an interception you know."

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It's been fun watching the mental gymnastics that some people around here play trying to prove a falsehood that Jamal Adams isn't an excellent, game changing defender.  I can just imagine some people watching on TV as Jamal Adams strips the football and runs into the end zone for a TD.....As everyone in the living room is cheering they slowly standup and walk to the bathroom muttering, "well...it wasn't an interception you know."

Maybe if it happened more often, and perhaps against a good team, we'd give him more credit.  As is stands its real hard to get excited about Jamal being a "game changer" for a 3-7 team while Deshaun Watson is an MVP candidate.  

He has 11.5 career sacks, 6 FF's, 4 FR's, 2 INT and 2 career TD's.  You make it seem like he does amazing stuff every week.  Even if you take all those "impact numbers", that's about once every other game where he's doing something impactful....but you fanboys forget there's a tradeoff:  He's constantly a step slow in coverage, and his free-lancing at the LOS puts the pass D at risk overall (hence why we're well below average in pass coverage as a unit).  

He's not a transcendent talent.  He's a good linebacker who sometimes covers people.  The mental gymnastics are coming from you guys on this one.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe if it happened more often, and perhaps against a good team, we'd give him more credit.  As is stands its real hard to get excited about Jamal being a "game changer" for a 3-7 team while Deshaun Watson is an MVP candidate.  

There will always be a guy "who should have been taken" before any player.  Is it hard to get excited about Sam Darnold because Quenton Nelson is a Pro Bowler?  Do you dislike Jordan Jenkins because Tyreek Hill was taken a round later?  This whole idea of being critical of our Pro Bowl defender because Mike Maccagnan couldn't assess how good Deshaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes would be is asinine quite frankly.

It's hard to get excited about a bad 3-7 team that has an atrocious OLine and no cornerbacks, but Jamal Adams is probably the ONLY thing we've had to be excited about this year.  If only Jamal could play Left Tackle or get more than the 3.3 yards per rush Bell has gotten....maybe we'd be .500.

• Post of the Week 1