Should Frank Pollack be on the hot seat?

Jetster

You hire an Oline coach for 1 thing, teach them your blocking schemes & put the best 5 guys on the field. This guys decisions have been wrong a lot & injuries have forced his hand & the 5 players last week have done the best job. Where was the help by the TEs on the edge? The communication needs to be a lot better between Pollack, Gase & Darnold to figure out some schemes to at least get the running game going a bit. Ridiculous amount of tackles for loss. 

KO, Kalil & even Winters were disasters. I know this guy doesn't have a lot to work with but guys like Scarnechia get it done in New England year after year with constant changes. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

The OL blows.  With that being said, I dont know if he should be gone or not.  The line was abysmal early but has taken a turn for the better over the past few weeks (not great by any means), but turning around.  The other thing I have heard is that Frank Pollack is well respected by everyone in the league as a great coach.  I would prefer to just have Pollack and Gase stand on a line and see who can piss farther.  If Gase beats him, hes gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

You hire an Oline coach for 1 thing, teach them your blocking schemes & put the best 5 guys on the field. This guys decisions have been wrong a lot & injuries have forced his hand & the 5 players last week have done the best job. Where was the help by the TEs on the edge? The communication needs to be a lot better between Pollack, Gase & Darnold to figure out some schemes to at least get the running game going a bit. Ridiculous amount of tackles for loss. 

KO, Kalil & even Winters were disasters. I know this guy doesn't have a lot to work with but guys like Scarnechia get it done in New England year after year with constant changes. 

the jets have had quite a few top coaches go through their doors.  they had callahan and they had another guy (i can't remember his name) who went to tampa some time ago.  now they have pollack who is supposed to be very good.  the thing is the guy an't coach if he doesn't have players who are good enough.  scarnecchia seems to works magic each year with the patsies but that more an indication of the players he's working with.  not superstars but very good and solid players.  plus having a qb whp knows how to get rid of the ball and is decisive in passing helps.  brady is well below 2.5 seconds in deciding who to throw for.

the bottom line is pollack deserves some flak if he hasn't told gase and douglas which oline players are worth keeping and which ones should be launched.  i'm sure this is already well known and will be addressed in the draft and free agency.

45 minutes ago, jgb said:

Everyone should be on the hot seat however why should Pollack be a scapegoat while Gase gets a pass due to "lack of talent?"

Darnold looks good when he has time to throw. Gase will be graded on that.

The oline can't run block at all. The talent is terrible. But Pollard is getting fired.

You don't go through a season like this and change nothing the next year. You're already told geis is coming back, Williams is coming back unless he gets a head coaching job so there has to be some change this is the most logical choice.

10 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Darnold looks good when he has time to throw. Gase will be graded on that.

The oline can't run block at all. The talent is terrible. But Pollard is getting fired.

You don't go through a season like this and change nothing the next year. You're already told geis is coming back, Williams is coming back unless he gets a head coaching job so there has to be some change this is the most logical choice.

It is probably what will happen. I'm just burned out of the head man getting a pass for years while churning underlings but getting the same results.

The OL blows.  With that being said, I dont know if he should be gone or not.  The line was abysmal early but has taken a turn for the better over the past few weeks (not great by any means), but turning around.  The other thing I have heard is that Frank Pollack is well respected by everyone in the league as a great coach.  I would prefer to just have Pollack and Gase stand on a line and see who can piss farther.  If Gase beats him, hes gone.

The ‘ol pissing contest. I like it

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Not necessarily Pollaks fault.  

Simple answer is.. Mac really put this team in the worst possible situation.  People iwll criticize macs drafting, and yes he had a poor draft record, but his biggest crime was never picking up players or drafting players that played and fit in the scheme that the coach he had was running. 

No different here now.  Gase: an inside zone style offensive coach .  Frank Pollak: inside outside zone oriented coach.  Pieces fit, we're all good.  What does mac do?  trade for KO, a famously bad zone offensive lineman, much better in a gap scheme.  pick up 0 other lineman with zone blocking experience (save edoga)

So what are we left with on the line?  The entire interior of the line is probably better suited for an Gap scheme rather than inside or outside zone, BUT both tackles are much better in a zone scheme.  

Frank may not have done the best job, but he's trying to build a puzzle with pieces from other sets. Give it time.  It remains to be seen if JD is a good drafter and scout, but what I am very confident in is that he will go after and pick up players that fit the schemes of the coaches we have on this team.  He's already shown to be pretty good at doing that with the additions he's made.  (aside from Kahlil but obviously the guy should have stayed retired, i dont knock JD for taking the chance)

• Upvote 1

I know this guy doesn't have a lot to work with but guys like Scarnechia get it done in New England year after year with constant changes. 
Isnt that a big part if it though? Same system, same coaches on OL and elsewhere for the most part (promotions from within ge really when someone leaves), you plug one or two new guys in with 3 or 4 guys who have been in the system. Even there it takes some games to gel, but you're not teaching the whole O a new system with new guys every few years, and you're not replacing 4 or 5 OL every other year.

3 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

A lot of people back in the day gave Phil Spector a horrible time for the work he did producing The Beatles' final album "Let It Be",  I mean, he was vilified and totally dogged out for his work on that album.  I myself didn't really care for the album when it came out and don't think I ever bought it

A few years later John Lennon was interviewed and they asked him what he thought of Spector's work on "Let It Be" and Lennon replied something like: "I think he did a great job. We gave him the sh*ttiest pile of sh*t to work with and he made something out of it"

That's how I feel about Frank Pollack

I used to have a reel to reel copy of the "Get Back" album before Phil Spector got to it and it was renamed "Let It Be."  It was awesome!!  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jetster said:

He absolutely should be fired.

Maccagnan ignored the line so he was hired to be a guy that gets more out of less.  Part of his job involved knowing he didn't have 3 all pros to work with.

His best argument is he had players forced on him who could no longer play.  KO and Kalil's performances were not the result of poor coaching.  IMO you can find players more talented at this point in their careers  on the Pats and other teams practice squads.  Pollack couldn't sign the most  talented  players available and instead was told to use two guys whose NFL careers were for all intents and purposes over.  The 12 years  took its toll on Kalil and KO is 31 and long removed from his prime.  That is why he only cost a 7th round pick.  I am surprised he was not told they were bringing back Jumbo Elliot.

A friend with  football background once said the potential coaching  pool is always filled, if one guy  can't get a job done chances are  you can find someone talented who can.

19 hours ago, isired said:

Isnt that a big part if it though? Same system, same coaches on OL and elsewhere for the most part (promotions from within ge really when someone leaves), you plug one or two new guys in with 3 or 4 guys who have been in the system. Even there it takes some games to gel, but you're not teaching the whole O a new system with new guys every few years, and you're not replacing 4 or 5 OL every other year.

I agree. That's why I'm not a fire Gase guy. Let him put in his base system & alter it to work for what Sam does best & that will take some time. When Sam is really comfortable & confident he'll have more say in its implementation. Happens everywhere where you have a franchise QB. That's why Mike McCarthy is out in Green Bay. Aaron Rogers runs the show. 

Rex had an Oline coach that went to New England in 2015 I believe (Googs), he ruined that Pats line & they had 1 of the worst Olines that had in 20 years. Belichick didn't f*ck around, he fired him after that 1 year & talked Scarnechia out of retirement & boom they were back on track the next year.