Shell Games; Gase has Decision to Make at Right Tackle

JetNation

IMG_4228.jpg

With his team hoping to win their third consecutive contest, head coach Adam Gase has a decision to make at right tackle where rookie Chuma Edoga has been starting over Brandon Shell of late, but Shell outplayed Edoga by a wide margin last week against the Redskins.

Early on in the contest, edge rusher Ryan Kerrigan was steamrolling Edoga on his way to a couple of early sacks and was likely licking his chops at what the rest of the day had in store.  An injury to Edoga’s ankle put him on the shelf and Shell came in and pitched a shutout against Kerrigan.  No sacks allowed, no quarterback hits, and zero pressures according to pro football focus.

Gase knows as well as anybody that keeping quarteback Sam Darnold is of the utmost importance.  Now he has to decide how he’ll go about doing it.

Click here to log on to our forums and tell us who you think should get the starting nod.

The post Shell Games; Gase has Decision to Make at Right Tackle appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
2rA28lmoxHA

Click here to read the full story...

Edoga is one of the worst football players I’ve ever seen, and for sure the worst lineman. He’s worse than JP Machado, Vlad Ducasse, and that right tackle who replaced Damien Woody. They need to put Edoga on ice, let him put on forty pounds of muscle, and let him tryout next year for a backup guard spot. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Edoga is one of the worst football players I’ve ever seen, and for sure the worst lineman. He’s worse than JP Machado, Vlad Ducasse, and that right tackle who replaced Damien Woody. They need to put Edoga on ice, let him put on forty pounds of muscle, and let him tryout next year for a backup guard spot. 

Adrian Clarke man. Never forget.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

Woo was that guy that we grabbed off a practice squad and stuck him in against the Ravens to replace Mangold that time? That guy had a really tough day and I think his career was ruined. Edoga has him by a mile

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Vlad DuCasse,Erik Flowers keep them in mind when judging Chuma Edoga so fast. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

There's no decision here, Shell is the better player and should start. Edoga isn't an NFL-caliber player at this point.

Agreed. Hes still Raw and weak. He has tons of potential and the playing time most likely did him good. Let him sit and take a breath.

Then he can hit the weights and study. He is a good guy to have developing in the background.

48 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I actually think Shell’s time on the bench did him some good. There’s nothing like a little competition at such an important spot. These guys like Shell, Winters and even KO don’t seem to play as hard when the job is just handed to them. Let shell think his job is in jeopardy, Which it is, so he can give that extra effort that is needed to protect Sam.

Shell will make a fine backup next season

isn't this shell's contract year?  he needs to play well for his future contracts.  the article title is pretty meaning less.  apparently egoga is injured and shell is playing better.  why is this decision so hard?

We have had some really terrible centers to go along with some of our great ones.

I still think Spencer Long was the worst.  Young rookie franchise Qb and we have a guy that cannot snap the ball and got our Qb killed numerous times last year, not even counting all the times Darnold heroically bailed him out by making miraculous catches of snaps at his toes or over his head.

That whole scenario really cemented just how terrible of a head coach Todd Bowels was.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We have had some really terrible centers to go along with some of our great ones.

I still think Spencer Long was the worst.  Young rookie franchise Qb and we have a guy that cannot snap the ball and got our Qb killed numerous times last year, not even counting all the times Darnold heroically bailed him out by making miraculous catches of snaps at his toes or over his head.

That whole scenario really cemented just how terrible of a head coach Todd Bowels was.

I was thnking the same thing.  Schmidt, Fields, Sweeney, Mawae, Mangold.  And then a bunch of guys who struggle to rise to the level of jag.  Hopefully we can find a guy who can man the position for the next decade in the draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He’s worse than JP Machado, Vlad Ducasse, and that right tackle who replaced Damien Woody. 

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Adrian Clarke man. Never forget.

Um I think he was talking about Wayne Hunter. How could anybody forget someone that bad, let alone that big ass grin on his face every time he gave up a sack.  I remember he was responsible for 22 sacks in a season.  @T0mShane loses all credibility for thinking Edoga is the worst Olineman ever. 

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Edoga played well his first two games at RT then got beat like a rag doll at left tackle. Maybe he was shell shocked or something because his return to RT was putrid. How quickly we forget the upgrade over Shell that Edoga was when he first got in.

He sucked at RT early oh, too. Iirc, he gave up 5 pressures and two sacks in those two starts 

• Upvote 1

isn't this shell's contract year?  he needs to play well for his future contracts.  the article title is pretty meaning less.  apparently egoga is injured and shell is playing better.  why is this decision so hard?

I think it’s because the injury isn’t one that would bench him absolutely. Something like that. Losing the starting job would not look good for his contract negotiations.

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I think it’s because the injury isn’t one that would bench him absolutely. Something like that. Losing the starting job would not look good for his contract negotiations. emoji3.png

maybe.  at the same time why would anyone want to risk the qb's health during a meaningless season?  i'm all for getting the younger players game day experience but edoga has looked like a turnstile so far and i don't see him getting that much better before season's end.  as for shell, there's enough of a book on him to evaluate his ability for contract purposes.

maybe.  at the same time why would anyone want to risk the qb's health during a meaningless season?  i'm all for getting the younger players game day experience but edoga has looked like a turnstile so far and i don't see him getting that much better before season's end.  as for shell, there's enough of a book on him to evaluate his ability for contract purposes.

Edoga came in and looked pretty good for a min there. He actually looked like he may be an improvement over Shell. Then the rest of the games happened and he struggled. It didnt help that they had him at RT, LT and RT again. That’s a lot for a rookie project. Especially when we had Falk behind him. Not exactly a supportive scenario to maximize his potential.

And I don’t disagree that shell has enough of a resume to evaluate him but it is still his first year with this group of coaches.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Edoga came in and looked pretty good for a min there. He actually looked like he may be an improvement over Shell. Then the rest of the games happened and he struggled. It didnt help that they had him at RT, LT and RT again. That’s a lot for a rookie project. Especially when we had Falk behind him. Not exactly a supportive scenario to maximize his potential.

And I don’t disagree that shell has enough of a resume to evaluate him but it is still his first year with this group of coaches.

we'll see.  i think a lot of fans like to give up on players after one season.  edoga came in and played like a rookie.  so what.  he is a rookie.  we'll see how he learns his position for next season.  hopefully he'll be able to be a good rt back up or even a starting guard.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I actually think Shell’s time on the bench did him some good. There’s nothing like a little competition at such an important spot. These guys like Shell, Winters and even KO don’t seem to play as hard when the job is just handed to them. Let shell think his job is in jeopardy, Which it is, so he can give that extra effort that is needed to protect Sam.

Shell will make a fine backup next season

Or starter. I'm not sold that Shell is a problem. I think the main and fatal flaw in the Jets OL was inside OG-C-OG and all of those starters are gone. The OL actually looks like something professional now.

Edoga is not terrible. I hear all his detractors but, damn, the guy has played less than 10 NFL games. He's is very likely to be better than he's shown so far. His inexperience shows.

If I were drafting OL for the Jets, I'd be looking for an OG first and foremost, which means I don't actually have to draft him in the first round. I am looking to add to the physical presence up the middle, which is where I think the Jets are most feeble. I could easily see drafting a great LT with the first round pick if one I really liked presented himself or if other positions of need players don't grade out as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

we'll see.  i think a lot of fans like to give up on players after one season.  edoga came in and played like a rookie.  so what.  he is a rookie.  we'll see how he learns his position for next season.  hopefully he'll be able to be a good rt back up or even a starting guard.

Exactly. 1/2 season and he’s a bum. Haha.

Or starter. I'm not sold that Shell is a problem. I think the main and fatal flaw in the Jets OL was inside OG-C-OG and all of those starters are gone. The OL actually looks like something professional now.
Edoga is not terrible. I hear all his detractors but, damn, the guy has played less than 10 NFL games. He's is very likely to be better than he's shown so far. His inexperience shows.
If I were drafting OL for the Jets, I'd be looking for an OG first and foremost, which means I don't actually have to draft him in the first round. I am looking to add to the physical presence up the middle, which is where I think the Jets are most feeble. I could easily see drafting a great LT with the first round pick if one I really liked presented himself or if other positions of need players don't grade out as well.

I’m not the biggest Shell detractor either but don’t love him. He’s ok. I’m tired of settling for OK. That’s what shell is on his best day. Average. I want the jets to
Grab a dominant franchise LT in TD one and a G/C in rd two and another in td 3. Or a WR in 2 and the G/C combo in rd 3. Then sign Sherff. Shell might be able to hang around for a season with that group but then its RT for me in 2021.

I crave dominance at the OL. I and exhausted of this BS with mediocre linemen. When we had that dominant OL and WR’s our QB was 2 clicks from a scrub. We have the QB. Sam
Has shown all we need to see. Give the guy a dominant OL and some WR’s like McLaurin who out fought Maye for that jump ball last week and he will be everything we ever wanted.

Oh and we will instantly have a running game too.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I’m not the biggest Shell detractor either but don’t love him. He’s ok. I’m tired of settling for OK. That’s what shell is on his best day. Average. I want the jets to
Grab a dominant franchise LT in TD one and a G/C in rd two and another in td 3. Or a WR in 2 and the G/C combo in rd 3. Then sign Sherff. Shell might be able to hang around for a season with that group but then its RT for me in 2021.

I crave dominance at the OL. I and exhausted of this BS with mediocre linemen. When we had that dominant OL and WR’s our QB was 2 clicks from a scrub. We have the QB. Sam
Has shown all we need to see. Give the guy a dominant OL and some WR’s like McLaurin who out fought Maye for that jump ball last week and he will be everything we ever wanted.

Oh and we will instantly have a running game too. emoji3.png

I see nothing wrong with your stance. I just think that Shell is far from the worst and that, IMO, he's a little better than Edoga right now. I've said in other posts that I think the main weakness in the Jets OL is inside. But I also understand that the LT position is manned by JAG who will be a free agent, so a need there as well.

So, if I'm the Jets GM--and, let's face, it why NOT me?--with draft and free agency upcoming, I focus first on LT then OG/C.  RT is probably the strongest position on the OL, if you consider depth.

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Wayne Hunter @Irish Jet

Adrian Clarke was the horrible guard.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

No he's an undersized rookie probably best suited for guard. Edoga > Winters.