Jamal Adams Extension Negotiations

ZachEY

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Also, keep in mind: 

Adams has the numbers he has because 1. We have no edge players of any talent whatsoever and B. We're not playing Mosely at LB, we're playing our 43rd string LB'ers at this point.

In a properly built team, your Strong Safety is not your #1 pass rusher.  Your Edges are, then your stud LB'ers are.

The defense they’re running is good against the run and horrible against the pass and obviously that’s not sustainable in the NFL in the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen. You can’t have one of your four defensive backs playing down in the box full-time and expect to compete against even marginal passing attacks on a week to week basis. Eventually, Gregg Williams is either going to have to move Adams back off the LOS or he’s going to have to give up on pretending that Adams is a defensive back in any sense of the term and just count him as a linebacker once and for all. He’s essentially playing the role that was intended for Darron Lee, except Darron Lee produced three INTs from that position in twelve games last year. 

As good as PFF says Adams is against the pass, the calculus seems to be you can either play Adams at safety *or* you can field a good defense against the pass. He’s a player whose talents aren’t suited to the modern NFL game, and guys like him and Landon Collins are remnants of an era gone by, valued only by GMs who don’t own a calendar

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

The defense they’re running is good against the run and horrible against the pass and obviously that’s not sustainable in the NFL in the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen. You can’t have one of your four defensive backs playing down in the box full-time and expect to compete against even marginal passing attacks on a week to week basis. Eventually, Gregg Williams is either going to have to move Adams back off the LOS or he’s going to have to give up on pretending that Adams is a defensive back in any sense of the term and just count him as a linebacker once and for all. He’s essentially playing the role that was intended for Darron Lee, except Darron Lee produced three INTs from that position in twelve games last year. 

As good as PFF says Adams is against the pass, the calculus seems to be you can either play Adams at safety *or* you can field a good defense against the pass. He’s a player whose talents aren’t suited to the modern NFL game, and guys like him and Landon Collins are remnants of an era gone by, valued only by GMs who don’t own a calendar

The only way they can pull this defense off is if they have two stud CBs and an good coverage FS. They don’t have any of them so they clearly need to make changes this off season. 

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

The only way they can pull this defense off is if they have two stud CBs and an good coverage FS. They don’t have any of them so they clearly need to make changes this off season. 

Word. What makes this so hard to pull off is that a *good* free agent CB costs you $14-$15 million per year on the open market, and drafting one outside of the top two rounds is almost impossible. The people advocating for paying Jamal Adams don’t take into account how much money will need to be spent on defense just to get the defense to a level where it can compete on a weekly basis. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, GreenFish said:

We traded Revis the offseason after he tore his MCL. We didn’t trade him for his full value. Had it not been for the injury, we would have gotten at least two first. 

Revis with a torn MCL is still way more valuable than Adams

I got a bad feeling JD overrates Adams and botches our chance to fix this OL

11 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm on board, I bought a Jamal jersey this off-season. Haven't worn it since the trade deadline. Jamal has one foot out the door, I'll take the draft picks.

The Knicks 2 years ago were offered Jaylon Brown and multiple firsts for Porzinigis — Dolan vetoed the trade after the media mocked Phil for even listening for offers

The time to trade overrated divas is when their value is at an all time high

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

So would an all pro Guard who is already locked up on a long term deal like Zack Martin 

Zack Martin is an all-pro guard. Jamal Adams is the “best strong safety in the league” with two full years left on a rookie contract. The fact is that the Cowboys would absolutely hang up on you if you offered them a straight-up Adams for Martin trade, and that’s all you need to know about what team think of strong safeties.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

herschelwalkervikingstradeap.jpg

If we get all those draft picks and just as important, all those players with expiring contracts, I'd jump on it.  

Problem is that wont happen, we'd get two or three picks.  If it were from Dallas none would be all that high. 

So, I'd still keep the sure thing, cant see risking trading away a Pro Bowl player and hoping to get one back through the draft.  

But thats just me.  I get the appeal of the unknown with the dream of getting two back.....hopefully

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

So dropping Adams in coverage will hurt the pass defense or sacking the QB or pressure on the QB hurts the defense?

The Pats run the cover 0 all the time while building one of the leagues top Ds.  Nothing says a D is outdated, ever

Also, keep in mind: 

Adams has the numbers he has because 1. We have no edge players of any talent whatsoever and B. We're not playing Mosely at LB, we're playing our 43rd string LB'ers at this point.

In a properly built team, your Strong Safety is not your #1 pass rusher.  Your Edges are, then your stud LB'ers are.

He has numbers because hes talented and can get them.

Hate the thinking that any S or player can do what hes been doing if just given a D scheme.  

Reading the QB sneak or a run to Elliot and stopping them short of the first down wasnt because Adams is talented and can make the play?  Its the D scheme?  Williams would run that same scheme with anyone?  

And some team is so clueless, cant come to that conclusion on their own, will offer us a 1, 2 and another pick why?

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

If we get all those draft picks and just as important, all those players with expiring contracts, I'd jump on it.  

Problem is that wont happen, we'd get two or three picks.  If it were from Dallas none would be all that high. 

So, I'd still keep the sure thing, cant see risking trading away a Pro Bowl player and hoping to get one back through the draft.  

But thats just me.  I get the appeal of the unknown with the dream of getting two back.....hopefully

We’ll see. What will be will be. I value a #1 and #2, reasonable trade value for Adams today, more than I value Adams. If the GM doesn’t suck. Something we don’t know yet...

• Upvote 1

More than one thing can be true at the same time.

He is talented. He is also being used in a role filling in for other, not talented, positions.

Problem is the haters, not you, want to make him out to be a talentless player who effects no part of games