Griffin Extended. Who’s Next?

32EBoozer

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I sign Offense:

Anderson, Thomas, Montgomery, Lachlan, Fickens (cheap) 

Defense:

Copeland, Hewitt, Burgess, Poole and Jenkins. 

Multiple years for Anderson, Lachlan, Jenkins, Copeland and Burgess. 

Pretty much on point in my opinion. 

Personally, I'd like to keep Robbie here. A knucklehead at times but he plays hard and has developed. A solid weapon.

Burgess was impressive but I don't know if I want to rely on him too much. Seems to be a solid rotation guy.

13 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I sign Offense:

Defense:

Got to sign Jamal long term 

15 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I sign Offense:

Defense:

Agreed on all of that except I am not sold on Fickens yet but he will probably come cheap so we can still have some competition at camp. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

This may be different unpopular, but I would look to extend Beachem.   The Jets will win enough games that they won't be in line to draft the top tackle in the draft and there are no great tackle FAs.  Beachum is respectable, a captain and might not break the bank.   You then draft a guy to play behind Beachum and take over in a year or two.

Beachum has always been a mid level LT and despite the unwarranted criticism far from the biggest problem on the line.  I think Gase is a big fan and suspect he'll be getting re-signed. 

Shore up the guard and CB situations, get a #1 WR, and it will be another playoff roster next year.  Hopefully in 2020 we can avoid the rash of injuries and bad luck that ruined this season.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Dinamite said:

This may be different unpopular, but I would look to extend Beachem.   The Jets will win enough games that they won't be in line to draft the top tackle in the draft and there are no great tackle FAs.  Beachum is respectable, a captain and might not break the bank.   You then draft a guy to play behind Beachum and take over in a year or two.

I have been thinking about this for awhile.   The Jets have been playing themselves out of drafting a starting LT.  I think that is mostly good.  

3 hours ago, Dinamite said:

Beachum is fine at LT.  Even if we draft Thomas he could simply start at RT for a year before moving to LT

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Dinamite said:

I've come around to Beachum over the last few weeks. I agree, we should sign him. There's no guarantee we'll be in position to draft a ready to go starter and Beachum is likely as good as any FA that's going to be available at LT. 

I'm still on the fence on Robby. I like him as a player, but just feel like he's not a good fit for Gase's offense and for Darnold's skillset. I think Robby is Douglas' toughest decision. Shell is probably another tough decision (I'd let him go as well).

Agree on signing Jenkins, Poole, Beachum, Thomas, Copeland, Maulet and Hewitt before the end of the season. 

15 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I'm still on the fence on Robby. I like him as a player, but just feel like he's not a good fit for Gase's offense and for Darnold's skillset. I think Robby is Douglas' toughest decision. Shell is probably another tough decision (I'd let him go as well).

Agree on signing Jenkins, Poole, Beachum, Thomas, Copeland, Maulet and Hewitt before the end of the season. 

I'd still like to see Robby with a revamped/healthy O-line but you're right..  he's been somewhat of a disappointment this year. 

I doubt JD will break the bank but he'll probably make a good offer and I think Robby will take it.  He clearly didn't want to be traded even with the struggles the team has had this year.

6 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Got to sign Jamal long term 

BS.  Adams is here with a team option thru 2021.  Next season/offseason is Jamal re-signing time...unless he'll take a not top-of-the-line deal right now when he's cost controlled for another two seasons.

Poole and DT should be re-signed for acceptable money if they're amenable.  DT is just the guy you want here during the rebuild, if he will take less than WR 1/2 money.  Even if he ain't in the top three, he's a great asset as an older player that can step in when needed.  Poole's been great, but overpaying for slot CB would be another mistake.

Beachum ideally would be a year to year deal...as a starter or a backup piece.  If he gets a multiyear deal elsewhere, hope he has a great life.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I've come around to Beachum over the last few weeks. I agree, we should sign him. There's no guarantee we'll be in position to draft a ready to go starter and Beachum is likely as good as any FA that's going to be available at LT. 

Even if we draft Andrew Thomas the smart thing would be to start him at RT and Beachum at LT next year

In 2006 we had no choice but to start Brick at LT immediately

• Upvote 1

Anderson Lachlan Hewitt Poole and Jenkins.. Beacham and Harrison if you're not stupid. And a long-term deal for Marcus Maye right now which would give us options with Jamal Adams in the future... hell I'd even sign Bilal Powell for 1 more year. My crazy plan is to get rid of CJ Mosley and Le'Veon Bell in the offseason for draft picks. Ridiculous contracts for guys that are easily replaced and we don't need. We have Avery Williamson Neville Hewitt and Blake Cashman. If bless Austin stays healthy boyeeeeee..umma go crazy.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Since we’d lose Anderson as a UFA, gotta at least try to bring him back at WR3 money. He’s a low-end WR2 and those aren’t always easy to find on the cheap or in the draft.

Trading him at the deadline would have been optimal but we can’t go back in time.

Hard to say, really. If they don't want him back, but he continues to look decent for the rest of the year, someone will see more value in him than we're expecting. They'll see an undrafted player who was on 1000-yard pace with old Josh McCown, who underthrew his speedy receiver at times that cost him still more yards/TDs, until suffering through Bryce Petty for the team's last 120 pass plays. Since then it's been breaking in the youngest-ever QB's rookie season with hyper-conservative HC/OC, and mono-plagued Darnold's shaky 2nd season start sprinkled in with a trio of Luke Falk games. 

It wouldn't be hard for a team in need of a secondary burner WR to rationalize that Robby could be a 1000-1200 yard receiver for them, with a team presuming its own superior coaching and veteran-in-prime QB play. If Quincy Enunwa - amazingly, while on IR yet again - could pry a $9MM/year deal from the Jets, a healthy Anderson should get a good amount more. He may not get a bundle fully guaranteed, but if he can manage 300 yards over these last 4 weeks, on an annual basis don't be surprised to see him get at least one offer at/above $12MM/yr. Or anyway, it depends on what the FA class looks like when those last extensions are locked up. 

In that case I don't know if we're in 3rd or 4th round comp pick territory, but we wouldn't see that until 2021 (assuming the Jets lose more qualifying UFAs than they gain, with cancelation matchups factoring as well). A 4th rounder in 2020 is worth more than a comp 3rd rounder in 2021. But if Robby being on the field has helped open up other things, and in turn help Darnold finish his 2nd season strong, it may have been worth it. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hard to say, really. If they don't want him back, but he continues to look decent for the rest of the year, someone will see more value in him than we're expecting. They'll see an undrafted player who was on 1000-yard pace with old Josh McCown, who underthrew his speedy receiver at times that cost him still more yards/TDs, until suffering through Bryce Petty for the team's last 120 pass plays. Since then it's been breaking in the youngest-ever QB's rookie season with hyper-conservative HC/OC, and mono-plagued Darnold's shaky 2nd season start sprinkled in with a trio of Luke Falk games. 

It wouldn't be hard for a team in need of a secondary burner WR to rationalize that Robby could be a 1000-1200 yard receiver for them, with a team presuming its own superior coaching and veteran-in-prime QB play. If Quincy Enunwa - amazingly, while on IR yet again - could pry a $9MM/year deal from the Jets, a healthy Anderson should get a good amount more. He may not get a bundle fully guaranteed, but if he can manage 300 yards over these last 4 weeks, on an annual basis don't be surprised to see him get at least one offer at/above $12MM/yr. Or anyway, it depends on what the FA class looks like when those last extensions are locked up. 

In that case I don't know if we're in 3rd or 4th round comp pick territory, but we wouldn't see that until 2021 (assuming the Jets lose more qualifying UFAs than they gain, with cancelation matchups factoring as well). A 4th rounder in 2020 is worth more than a comp 3rd rounder in 2021. But if Robby being on the field has helped open up other things, and in turn help Darnold finish his 2nd season strong, it may have been worth it. 

I think we need to try to lock Robby up ahead of time at hometown discount prices rather than wait and see what the open market looks like.  He wants to be here so maybe Douglas can convince him he's not going to get Tyler Boyd money with such a deep WR draft class coming up.  

I would love to resign both Alex Lewis and Compton. It’s not a reflection of their just their play but having decent, veteran depth on the Oline is huge - as we saw this year. JD also needs to figure out how to replace Shell if he is in line for a $7/8 million per deal  

Of course I want to upgrade positions if possible but if we aren’t paying an elite LT I’d rather see the money spread around so that we can withstand injuries.  

Guys like Jenkins and Robby are going to be $8-10 million per year players, that’s just the way the NFL is and that can eat up cap space quickly.  

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think we need to try to lock Robby up ahead of time at hometown discount prices rather than wait and see what the open market looks like.  He wants to be here so maybe Douglas can convince him he's not going to get Tyler Boyd money with such a deep WR draft class coming up.  

There won't be a hometown discount. The time for that was before the season. At this point any discount will only be in proportion to his own perceived injury risk for the remaining games. Especially for an undrafted player who's made as little as possible and has always been on year-to-year contracts (actually not even that, until the end of the summer when he made the opening day roster each season). He's going to want to cash out as much as possible while he can, and he'd be foolish to do otherwise. 

Even with a deep WR class, he's a ready-now starter. He'll get the typical 1-2 guaranteed seasons, after which a 2020 draftee can slip into the #1 or #2 role in that team's starting lineup. Teams that need-need-need a starting WR right now don't just rely upon the upcoming draft (and de facto bet the following season's offense on landing not just a prospect you want, but that this prospect is a dangerous/ready weapon right away).