James Burgess, Arthur Maulet, Bless Austin, Tarell Bashem.....

jetstream23

Just now, jetstream23 said:

I think the Cornerback play has become something really noteworthy.  Think about where we were with Trumaine Johnson and Daryl Roberts as the 1 and 2.  The Jets were getting torched as they rotated guys around.

Bless Austin is looking like a real find and Maulet has earned a spot on the field.  Amazing what those two guys are doing to keep the Jets respectable back there in the secondary, allowing Adams to come up more, etc.

Agree 110% great post. 

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I think the Cornerback play has become something really noteworthy.  Think about where we were with Trumaine Johnson and Daryl Roberts as the 1 and 2.  The Jets were getting torched as they rotated guys around.

Bless Austin is looking like a real find and Maulet has earned a spot on the field.  Amazing what those two guys are doing to keep the Jets respectable back there in the secondary, allowing Adams to come up more, etc.

The corner play, Oline play is much better, these are the keys to our resent success.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

My only hope is Austin can stay healthy because he looks like a #1 CB in this league. He's good in coverage, tough as hell, and he has good play recognition. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Sad that third overall section is a rotation DT, and outplayed but Shepard and Fatukasi.

He's being outplayed by EVERYONE on our defense regardless of position. I didn't like the pick but never thought he would be an outright bust and unfortunately it's starting too look that way. Some call him Leo v.2 but he's even worse.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

These are the types of guys that Gregg Williams has to work with.  Good, hardworking players....but nobody on the planet thinks they should be starters in the NFL.  They're starting for the Jets these days.

Doesn't matter.  We have a wizard at work, a leader of men, a guy who is putting schemes and plans together that are winning games and holding John Gruden, Derek Carr and the 6-4 Raiders to 3 points.

Let's hear it for Gregg Williams!

usatsi_13369732.jpg.356d3066ef5076d7f95a9fe9e9e17dfd.jpg

I agree with praising  Williams, but saying that Maulet and Bless shouldnt be starters is not really a fair statement. After these guys started MANNING ( as in man to man) the outside corners our defense has just completely changed. They played exceptional today. And Burgess and Basham have been terrific too. It's not all scheme it is young players making the most of their opportunity.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

The hit Austin put in Renfroe was a real tone setter. 

Maybe the hardest completely CLEAN hit I have seen in the NFL this year. There wasn't even a hint of unnecessary roughness heads to head contact or lateness. His instincts and awareness are exceptional. When the PFF ratings come out this week I expect Bless and Maulet to both get very very high grades.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Thai Jet said:

He's a rookie. Just give him time, he'll excel.

How many of them never get it? Did you even watch or notice him today? This is the third overall pick we're talking about not some late rounder or an udfa. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

These are the types of guys that Gregg Williams has to work with.  Good, hardworking players....but nobody on the planet thinks they should be starters in the NFL.  They're starting for the Jets these days.

Doesn't matter.  We have a wizard at work, a leader of men, a guy who is putting schemes and plans together that are winning games and holding John Gruden, Derek Carr and the 6-4 Raiders to 3 points.

absolutely, he has our defense playing physical football.  the raidahs were not wanting any part of it.  Feel for that rookie renfro wr, he had quite a few welcome to the nfl moments today.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Well, I think those players are at least decent depth. I hope JD signs those players beyond this season with a promise they can COMPETE for the starting job?

Williams has been lights out. The Dee hasnt played this well in a loooong time.
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I agree with praising  Williams, but saying that Maulet and Bless shouldnt be starters is not really a fair statement. After these guys started MANNING ( as in man to man) the outside corners our defense has just completely changed. They played exceptional today. And Burgess and Basham have been terrific too. It's not all scheme it is young players making the most of their opportunity.

Let me clarify.  Nobody on the planet thought these guys (Austin, Maulet) would be starters.  That's what I was trying to say.  They've certainly earned it and both are looking very good.  But they were like the 5th, 7th, 9th(?) guys on the list as we headed into the season.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Let me clarify.  Nobody on the planet thought these guys (Austin, Maulet) would be starters.  That's what I was trying to say.  They've certainly earned it and both are looking very good.  But they were like the 5th, 7th, 9th(?) guys on the list as we headed into the season.

That is true but some people thought Bless had 1st round talent. Maulet is a nice surprise but to your point I think we need to start considering the fact that it seems like the entire defensive coaching staff might be really good at teaching and developing players as well.

• Upvote 1