Darnold this year...

Y3k

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'd rather not remove that game. 

It takes away from how far Darnold has come. Also, if every QB takes away their worst games of the season, many of them will also look special. 

Darnold didnt let that game ruin him. That's what makes him special. 

Sure whatever, I am just illustrating how good his numbers look over the 7 game sample size. The NE game was a total team failure... it hides how good Darnold has been essentially the whole year

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

It takes away from how far Darnold has come. Also, if every QB takes away their worst games of the season, many of them will also look special. 

He’s also done really well to overcome the ‘seeing ghosts’ game and all the mockery that came with it. That kind of thing can ruin a QB (like the buttfumble came to define Sanchez, rightly or wrongly).

The bounce back is helping to eradicate that as an even remotely relevant ongoing issue, he’ll need to enact full redemption next time he plays a tough D and possibly next time he gets a go at the Pats but not letting such things define and, as you say, ruin him is a big positive sign going forward 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Anyone who doubts Darnold again deserves a bakers dozen of e-kicks square to the scrotum.

I relish the thought of Douglas overhauling this OL and seeing what this kid is capable of.

Many of us questioned him based on ugly performances and decisions, I think he has silenced us all and i'm happier than hell. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Many of us questioned him based on ugly performances and decisions, I think he has silenced us all and i'm happier than hell. 

You and others over reacted massively to one horrible game under excruciating circumstances. It’s the point I’m trying to make here. I’m not just taking out his worst game- I am taking our a game that is so obviously a statistical outlier that leaving it in paints a completely inaccurate picture of what the player has done this year...

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Y3k said:

You and others over reacted massively to one horrible game under excruciating circumstances. It’s the point I’m trying to make here. I’m not just taking out his worst game- I am taking our a game that is so obviously a statistical outlier that leaving it in paints a completely inaccurate picture of what the player has done this year...

We reacted based on his actions we did not over react to anything. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We reacted based on his actions we did not over react to anything. 

Yeah he was playing legitimately bad football for a few games there, the concern was valid.

However he's made huge strides, and I couldn't be happier. The Pats game really set him back, and the 2 weeks after it looked like the damage may have been permanent, but he's staged a complete turnaround and looks back to the level he was at from the end of last year up until week 7 (possibly even better).

• Upvote 1

I never doubted for a minute that Sam was special, I did, however, wonder if this CS would ruin him which obviously has been quenched lately. It is almost as if Sam has rescued Gase and Loggains.

Can't even say they played $hit teams, the Raiders were rolling coming in here...Today was really impressive.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Y3k said:

That's not how stats work my friend. 

Sam has bounced back. Why isnt that fact enough? Taking away games is only meant to present stats that arent true. He had a crazy bad game against the Patriots, took one on the chin, got up and continued fighting. That's a better scenario than not knowing if your QB has a glass jaw or not because he's never taken a hit. 

Sam is showing that he's built for this. Thats more important. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Sam has bounced back. Why isnt that fact enough? Taking away games is only meant to present stats that arent true. He had a crazy bad game against the Patriots, took one on the chin, got up and continued fighting. That's a better scenario than not knowing if your QB has a glass jaw or not because he's never taken a hit. 

It’s actually exactly how statistics works... it’s why the term outlier exists. Every HOF QB in nfl history has had a comparable “outlier” performance... in the grand scheme of trying to evaluate that player they are meaningless. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Y3k said:

It’s actually exactly how statistics works... it’s why the term outlier exists. Every HOF QB in nfl history has had a comparable “outlier” performance... in the grand scheme of trying to evaluate that player they are meaningless. 

Whatever you got to say to convince yourself. 

The fact that you even said "while battling mono" proves my point. Remove a bad game while embellishing an illness he clearly sat out and didnt play with until he fully recovered. 

but okay. 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Whatever you got to say to convince yourself. 

The fact that you even said "while battling mono" proves my point. Remove a bad game while embellishing an illness he clearly sat out and didnt play with until he fully recovered. 

but okay. 

He played with mono week 1... that is a fact. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

those numbers aren't special, they are below average. 

• Thumb Down 6

Let’s be honest this is the first game where Sam got consistent protection.  I’m not saying Darnold hasn’t made mental errors but he has had terrible protection since he has been here. However I gotta give credit to the OL today.  They let Sam have time and he was terrific

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Y3k said:

Minus the NE aberration

1,829 yards, 260/gm

101 passer rating

15TDs (2 rushing) 6 INTs 

with objectively the worst OL in football

without a #1 receiver 

while battling mono 

this kid is special 

999-E4-DE7-C82-F-48-FE-BDA7-CA354-C8-CF5

Ready to destroy the Death Star.

SAR I

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

It's def. reasonable to look at this...It's not just a "bad" game.

This was BB with two weeks to prepare - against a guy with less than 15 starts ---- BB has made much more experiences QB's look silly...

I'm not saying the numbers in that game shouldn't count but i also thinks it's fair to take the situation into consideration - and look at how well Sam has been playing..

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yeah but ghost and shit oh my. 

Had another TD stolen from him today and would have had another good opportunity had the line held up on that hold.

The difference has been the adequate play from the line. I say adequate because there's still too many cases of guys instantly losing, namely Compton which is forcing Sam out of the pocket. But it's holding up enough, even offering glimpses of a running game at times. 

It is genuinely embarrassing how many were looking hang Sam out to dry given just what the f*ck was going on around him. Hopefully something we can look back on for years and laugh. He needs to keep stacking up these performances though and turn those two INT fests into aberrations. He finished strongly last season and if he repeats that we'll feel a lot f*cking better about where we are. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Y3k said:

Minus the NE aberration

1,829 yards, 260/gm

101 passer rating

15TDs (2 rushing) 6 INTs 

with objectively the worst OL in football

without a #1 receiver 

while battling mono 

this kid is special 

Yeah that's great but the problem is you can't remove the NE game. The NFL is about an entire season of work.

Darnold absolutely has all the talent to be a successful NFL QB and it's starting to show. But he still has some things he needs to brush up on. Particularly the turnovers, which have really improved since the Jacksonville game. He's not forcing as many passes as he was when he first came back. He's learning to throw the ball away more while still keeping the aggressiveness he has.