KRL

Game Observations (OAK)

People want to make it complicated. What the difference is:

• No Kalil
  • No Winters

The rest is just camouflage. The new OL have strength AND the center can actually snap and block and not be dominated physically. Now Darnold can mostly relax and know that DL won't be running full speed up the middle from the snap of the ball anymore. He is getting very reasonable amount of time to throw. And that's making the Jets WRs look way better than they have been.

Now, eventually, you'd like to upgrade either guard spot and the LT spot. But at least it looks like an actual NFL offensive line.

I was most impressed with how Darnold threw the ball away when the play wasn't there. But it has to help that he knows he'll probably get another chance, given how well the offense and defense is playing right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

I honestly think either Gase is reading some of our posts or he has an assistant reading them. We all wanted more misdirection with the offense. We all wanted more rollouts and to use Sams legs a little more with a designed run here and there. Some of us even recommended that the Jets run 1 flea flicker every game - like the Patriots - and they have. It all seems to be working as we are keeping defenses off balance and our O Line play has improved tremendously also. It all looks real good right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Post of the Week 1

46 minutes ago, KRL said:

Special Teams 

-Shout out to the kick off coverage unit as they never allowed OAK to get any field
position

Quietly an impressive part of the game today. ST gunners/players were on guys like glue and fast. Great pursuit and tackling. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

I honestly think either Gase is reading some of our posts or he has an assistant reading them. We all wanted more misdirection with the offense. We all wanted more rollouts and to use Sams legs a little more with a designed run here and there. Some of us even recommended that the Jets run 1 flea flicker every game - like the Patriots - and they have. It all seems to be working as we are keeping defenses off balance and our O Line play has improved tremendously also. It all looks real good right now.

I suggested the flea flicker and @Scott Dierking  made a mockery of it. Just saying. 

Good post. 

20 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Quietly an impressive part of the game today. ST gunners/players were on guys like glue and fast. Great pursuit and tackling. 

I’ve always believed that STs are one of the most underrated aspects of the pats dynasty. This year our STs (aside from the Ficken misses) have been extremely solid. Not many explosive plays, but no real mistakes and they always get the job done. 

Was watching LSU yesterday and loved the way the gunners raced to the end zone no matter what - even if it the kick ended up being a fair catch or touchback.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

There was not a single Darnold troll post in the game thread. Hard to say Darnold sucks when not only was he extremely efficient, but completed passed to nine 9!! receivers, but he has clearly learned to throw the ball away as well.

Good point.

It wasn't too long ago when it was 18 passes to Crowder and 4 to everyone else. I really liked how they got Bell the ball in the passing game early.

It is as if he's catching up to the hype...

Wait, is it possible that Kalil and Winters had mono too?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I know that the 6-4 record coming in was likely very VERY generous to the Raiders but it was still six wins in the NFL.  We beat a team that will be in playoff conversations the rest of the way even if they go on a losing run.

Honestly this game has convinced me that we are clearly better than the group of bottom bottom feeders in the NFL.  A club that I thought we were in once again this year.

The offense is showing what it can do with just a teeny little bit of protection for Sam and I am excited to think what a more stable and better talented OL group will do for him next year. once the GM has had an off season to start doing his job.

Plenty of other positives today but KRL nailed them as usual.  The passing game can be effective without any clear number 1's out there.  We will have to pay Anderson and we should think about trying to get that done sooner rather than later.  We might even save a few shekels.

Enjoy the win everyone. Well everyone except for RaidersFan that is.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Not sure where to ask this but did we ever get an official explanation on the OPI called on the review ?

pretty sure the Raiders didn’t challenge and no penalty called on the field ?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Not sure where to ask this but did we ever get an official explanation on the OPI called on the review ?

pretty sure the Raiders didn’t challenge and no penalty called on the field ?

Booth review on scoring play 

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

I firmly believe that Sam Darnold has rescued Adam Gase. Not only that, I believe that it will not be very long until Sam is calling his own plays and controlling the offense himself. The difference in what we are seeing pre and post meeting with Gase is remarkable and shows Sam's football IQ is really high.

Getting re-excited for the future. It took a while maybe for them to find the right player combinations and to learn the new systems. F**k draft position, winning is much more fun. Today was awesome, not to have to worry for one second. Priceless LOL.  

Completely agree on draft position meaning anything after you have your QB, which they seem to have. Any win is more enjoyable, minus an end season win knocking you out of a top spot for a Qb 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I suggested the flea flicker and @Scott Dierking  made a mockery of it. Just saying. 

Good post. 

I wanted them to score more points and win. And tra da!!

Do you know why the flea flicker had a chance today? Because the o-line was holding up, and the running game was working. Not things we had back in early dark ages.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Good post. 

True story: Scott has never watched an actual football game

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

By far the best performance of the season. Every group outplayed the opposition.

The story of our season is fast becoming the depth guys. Stepping up where the season starters failed miserably. It's still early for some to fully judge but at at Linebacker and Corner we're seeing incredible play from guys most hadn't heard of before camp. Williams is getting the best out of them and it doesn't look too far from a top group right now - Which is great given everyone knows the investment required on offence.

The offence is starting to look like the group that I was excited to see before the season. After weeks of literal hell it seems they've turned it around. Gase deserves credit because it was looking as dire as it could get at one point. He's got Darnold playing and our best 3 game offensive streak for what? 10 years? Encouraging. The mad man might just yet make it.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

True story: Scott has never watched an actual football game

I didn't have the privilege of watching from the bench as a senior, as you did. And I bear witness to what you gleaned from that vantage point.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

I firmly believe that Sam Darnold has rescued Adam Gase. Not only that, I believe that it will not be very long until Sam is calling his own plays and controlling the offense himself. The difference in what we are seeing pre and post meeting with Gase is remarkable and shows Sam's football IQ is really high.

Getting re-excited for the future. It took a while maybe for them to find the right player combinations and to learn the new systems. F**k draft position, winning is much more fun. Today was awesome, not to have to worry for one second. Priceless LOL.  

Yeah...Darnold is going to single handedly save Gase.  The way I’ve been thinking for awhile now is that I could personally coach the Jets and keep my job as good as Darnold is going to be/already is.

The biggest worry though was that this scenario played out with Darnold saving Maccagnan.  Gase is ok with me, but Maccagnan a big no.  I really thought Maccagnan would leech onto Darnold and the story would have been written.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Some notes:

Gase is finally coaching Sam Darnold to be Sam Darnold and not Peyton. Sure the "talk" will get a lot of press, but we are seeing a coach and QB come together and that is exciting.

It is amazing how positive the subtraction of Winters and Kalil has been. The Jets still need to upgrade the OL across the board, but they are playing as a group at least at an average level for a NFL 

Maulet may need to work on tackling but lets face it, Maulet and Austin have been nothing short of a revelation. The second Austin got into the game 3 weeks ago the defense has been completely changed and effective. Maulet and Bless are holding up on the outside in man, and the Jets are not blitzing much and there is just no one to throw to.

We can officially say that the Jets DL is actually BETTER without Leo. Many us, myself included thought there will be little dropoff but not sure anyone expected his departure and replacement by additional snaps for Shepherd, Basham. Futakasi and Phillips to make them even more effective.

If the Jets defense keeps it up, we may lose Williams to a HC gig. He did well in Cleveland last year, and while still not the biggest fan, and think it is largely the Blessaun effect, you cant deny our defense is completely different than we started and really effective.

There was not a single Darnold troll post in the game thread. Hard to say Darnold sucks when not only was he extremely efficient, but completed passed to nine 9!! receivers, but he has clearly learned to throw the ball away as well.

Kudos to Gase for keeping the locker room alive to see a 3 game winning streak.

Why weren't these guys replaced before they got injured? This OLine was the worst in the league and many here were crying for these guys to be benched. I have no confidence in this coach whatsoever. The biggest change in this team is because Darnold pleaded with him to change to offense and the OLine injuries to 2 horrible "starters" in Kalil and Winters. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Booth review on scoring play 

Yes but they essentially enforced a penalty that wasn’t called by the refs   Is that a new pass interference rule?

because you could call holding on half the rushing touchdowns looking at it in slo mo

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Yes but they essentially enforced a penalty that wasn’t called by the refs   Is that a new pass interference rule?

because you could call holding on half the rushing touchdowns looking at it in slo mo

I think the same thing happened on the Griffin TD in the Bills game that got called back. 

I think Sam gave Gase his old USC play book and they made a new offense with it... 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Drums said:

I think the same thing happened on the Griffin TD in the Bills game that got called back. 

Eh I missed that one 

its getting to the point that you can’t celebrate a touchdown 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

It was a brutal call 

brutal 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Larz said:

Eh I missed that one 

its getting to the point that you can’t celebrate a touchdown 

IIRC, it was called a TD but it ended up being called back for an illegal man down field. The play stood out to me because Griffin was all alone in the end zone and after he caught it, he watched and waited for the ref to put his hands up, then he spiked the ball like Gronk. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

By far the best performance of the season. Every group outplayed the opposition.

The story of our season is fast becoming the depth guys. Stepping up where the season starters failed miserably. It's still early for some to fully judge but at at Linebacker and Corner we're seeing incredible play from guys most hadn't heard of before camp. Williams is getting the best out of them and it doesn't look too far from a top group right now - Which is great given everyone knows the investment required on offence.

The offence is starting to look like the group that I was excited to see before the season. After weeks of literal hell it seems they've turned it around. Gase deserves credit because it was looking as dire as it could get at one point. He's got Darnold playing and our best 3 game offensive streak for what? 10 years? Encouraging. The mad man might just yet make it.

Darnold will have made lots of coaches look great even all is said and done.   But these coaches as a whole are waaay better than what the Jets had a sideline over the last 4 years.  Especially Gregg Williams.

The wildest thing is how strong the D Line looks  that was picked up at the Dollar Store, much better than all the high priced “wastes” that have populated it over the last 10 years.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I think we should give Adam Gase credit.

i like him. He’s held a 1-7 team together. He’s honest, smart and a hard worker. He’s in charge but cedes Control to Guys who are good; Greg Williams and Sam Darnold. He’s not perfect but I like the vibe he has with Sam.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, ljr said:

Loved the pass to Lev down the right sideline to start the f*cking show!!!!!!

Lev in the passing game ... finally !!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yes. This is the thing. We are excited to add the o line from the draft this year to protect Sam, but man, Lev Bell with a quality oline...you could build a team around him alone on his own. 

With rising Sam and some more weapons...it's really promising. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1