Jets enraged by Raiders fans boos in MetLife takeover

joewilly12

Jets enraged by Raiders fans’ boos in MetLife takeover

November 24, 2019 | 6:21pm

With the weather raw and rainy and the home team sporting a 3-7 record, it was a late-arriving Jets crowd into MetLife Stadium for Sunday’s game against the Raiders.

There was however, a hearty contingent of Raiders fans — decked out in their black and silver, masks, makeup and all — who turned up early and formed their own pregame Black Hole of sorts, taking over the front several rows of the north end zone.

Raiders players trotted onto the field first for warm-ups and the Oakland fans cheered loudly.

Moments later, as the Jets players ran onto the field, loud boos were audible, and they didn’t fall on deaf ears.

It infuriated the Jets, who were so livid some indicated after the game that it ignited their fast start en route to a 34-3 rout of the Raiders.

The reception the Jets received was the topic of conversation when the players returned to the locker room before the game. Some, including safety and team leader Jamal Adams, spoke up, firing up the rest of the team.

“We felt disrespected,’’ Jets left tackle Kelvin Beachum told The Post. “We were very unhappy. You never want to get booed in your own stadium, and we came out for pregame warm-ups and were getting booed. I’ve never had that happen in my career in a game at home.

Enlarge Imag

“There were a lot of guys that were very upset about it. This is a home game for us and we’re coming out of the tunnel to boos. That’s not something you anticipate or expect.

“Everybody was talking about it in the locker room’’ before the game, Beachum said. “I think it provided a little jolt to us at the start of the game.”

“I’m not going to lie to you: When we came out onto the field, we felt disrespected,’’ Adams said. “We got booed in our home stadium by Oakland fans. We came back into this locker room and it was a hell of a talk. It was something that needed to be said. I’m not going to get into what was said, but … I came in here and sparked it off.

“We felt disrespected and went out there and put up or shut up. I don’t want to sound arrogant and cocky, but I think [the Raiders] came in a little too happy, let’s put it like that. They thought it was going to be an easy game. Put it like that.’’

Listening to some of the Oakland players speak after the game seemed to back up Adams’ assertion that the Raiders, who entered the day on a three-game winning streak, might have taken the Jets lightly.

“We just didn’t show up today,’’ Raiders defensive tackle Jonathan Hankins said.

“We didn’t show up … didn’t bring enough energy,’’ Raiders defensive end Maxx Crosby said.

Asked if the game was a “learning experience’’ for his team, Crosby said, “Yeah, you can’t take anyone lightly.’’

Raiders quarterback Derek Carr said, “Give praise to the Jets; they showed up better than we did,’’ added, “Hopefully, this is an eye-opener.’’

image.gif

Jamal Adams: Jets Felt 'Disrespected' by Pregame Boos from Home Crowd

ROB GOLDBERGNOVEMBER 24, 201924

New York Jets' Jamal Adams (33) during the second half of an NFL football game against the Oakland Raiders Sunday, Nov. 24, 2019, in East Rutherford, N.J. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)
Seth Wenig/Associated Press

The New York Jets likely weren't expecting boos when they took the field for warm-ups at home in MetLife Stadium, but that's what happened Sunday in a crowd filled with Oakland Raiders fans.

"I'm not going to lie to you, when we came onto the field, we felt disrespected," Adams said, per Rich Cimini of ESPN. "We got booed in our own home stadium by the Oakland fans. We came back into this locker room. It was a hell of a talk. It was something that needed to be said."

It seemed to fuel the Jets, who shocked Oakland with a 34-3 blowout victory

The Raiders were favored coming into the game after three straight wins put them in playoff contention at 6-4. The fanbase—which is known to travel well—expected another win heading into next week's important battle with the Kansas City Chiefs.

"I don't want to sound arrogant or cocky, but [the Oakland fans] came in a little too happy, let's put it like that," Adams said. "They thought it would be easy, put it like that."

It was anything but easy for the AFC West squad, which scored first with a field goal before the Jets responded with 34 unanswered points.

Derek Carr produced a season-low 52.6 quarterback rating before being benched at the end of the third quarter down more than four touchdowns.

Meanwhile, the Jets suddenly have momentum with three straight wins following the disappointing loss to the Miami Dolphins. Jamal Adamscontinued to make an impact all over the field with seven tackles and a half-sack, giving him 6.5 sacks over the last four games.

New York will go on the road next game against the Cincinnati Bengals, but the squad will hope enough of their own fans can fill the stadium in Week 14 against the Miami Dolphins.

New York Raiders fans only are assured a game in the area once every 6 years, they paid good money for the tickets, they're coming.

New York Jets fans have already attended 6-8 home games and can take a rainy/cold/miserable day off heading into Thanksgiving.

Add it up, lots of Raiders fans, not a lot of Jets fans.  It's cool though-  I quite enjoy getting the last laugh in front of a bunch of quiet frontrunners.  Cowboys and Raiders, please.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, isired said:

All teams that 'travel well's (Raiders, Cowboys, Steelers) and teams in or within spitting distance of the northeast are going to take over the stadium unless the Jets are competitive. That's what the PSL and $300 game day ticket prices guarantee. Can't blame a guy who sunk $20-$40k in PSLs and $4000-12,000 a season in tickets for grabbing some money back when it's an option.

Agreed, but there were more empty seats than there were Raiders fans in the building.

If the weather were better and the season ticket holders or Stubhub Jets fans showed up, this wouldn't have been a big deal. 

SAR I

9 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

How about the Jets consistently produce a good product on the field. Only then can they complain about lack of respect. 

Did you hear the Cowboys fans in Gillette Stadium today?  As many were up there as were down here, FYI.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

Jets enraged by Raiders fans’ boos in MetLife takeover

November 24, 2019 | 6:21pm

With the weather raw and rainy and the home team sporting a 3-7 record, it was a late-arriving Jets crowd into MetLife Stadium for Sunday’s game against the Raiders.

There was however, a hearty contingent of Raiders fans — decked out in their black and silver, masks, makeup and all — who turned up early and formed their own pregame Black Hole of sorts, taking over the front several rows of the north end zone.

Raiders players trotted onto the field first for warm-ups and the Oakland fans cheered loudly.

Moments later, as the Jets players ran onto the field, loud boos were audible, and they didn’t fall on deaf ears.

It infuriated the Jets, who were so livid some indicated after the game that it ignited their fast start en route to a 34-3 rout of the Raiders.

The reception the Jets received was the topic of conversation when the players returned to the locker room before the game. Some, including safety and team leader Jamal Adams, spoke up, firing up the rest of the team.

“We felt disrespected,’’ Jets left tackle Kelvin Beachum told The Post. “We were very unhappy. You never want to get booed in your own stadium, and we came out for pregame warm-ups and were getting booed. I’ve never had that happen in my career in a game at home.

Enlarge Imag

“There were a lot of guys that were very upset about it. This is a home game for us and we’re coming out of the tunnel to boos. That’s not something you anticipate or expect.

“Everybody was talking about it in the locker room’’ before the game, Beachum said. “I think it provided a little jolt to us at the start of the game.”

“I’m not going to lie to you: When we came out onto the field, we felt disrespected,’’ Adams said. “We got booed in our home stadium by Oakland fans. We came back into this locker room and it was a hell of a talk. It was something that needed to be said. I’m not going to get into what was said, but … I came in here and sparked it off.

“We felt disrespected and went out there and put up or shut up. I don’t want to sound arrogant and cocky, but I think [the Raiders] came in a little too happy, let’s put it like that. They thought it was going to be an easy game. Put it like that.’’

Listening to some of the Oakland players speak after the game seemed to back up Adams’ assertion that the Raiders, who entered the day on a three-game winning streak, might have taken the Jets lightly.

“We just didn’t show up today,’’ Raiders defensive tackle Jonathan Hankins said.

“We didn’t show up … didn’t bring enough energy,’’ Raiders defensive end Maxx Crosby said.

Asked if the game was a “learning experience’’ for his team, Crosby said, “Yeah, you can’t take anyone lightly.’’

Raiders quarterback Derek Carr said, “Give praise to the Jets; they showed up better than we did,’’ added, “Hopefully, this is an eye-opener.’’

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

New York Raiders fans only are assured a game in the area once every 6 years, they paid good money for the tickets, they're coming.

New York Jets fans have already attended 6-8 home games and can take a rainy/cold/miserable day off heading into Thanksgiving.

Add it up, lots of Raiders fans, not a lot of Jets fans.  It's cool though-  I quite enjoy getting the last laugh in front of a bunch of quiet frontrunners.  Cowboys and Raiders, please.

SAR I

Paid good money for the tickets??? Tickets were going your pennies on the dollar

12 minutes ago, JETSY14 said:

Paid good money for the tickets??? Tickets were going your pennies on the dollar

Raiders fans bought their tickets months ago, at the start of the season.  They don’t come East that often.  Those fans traveling have to make air and hotel arrangements.

‘Pennies on the dollar‘ are for Jets fans who live here and choose not to go.

SAR I

Raiders fans bought their tickets months ago, at the start of the season.  They don’t come East that often.  Those fans traveling have to make air and hotel arrangements.

SAR I
Come east? A lot of them live here. There are so many Raiders bars in Manhattan alone you can find 'top ten Raiders bars' lists with differing opinions. Ditto Cowboys and Steelers.
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You don't know have to buy Jet tickets months in advance...Tickets can be received in seconds, no more waiting for the mailman to come deliver them.  People know to wait and they will get a deeply discounted ticket. Wait for the psl holders to get desperate because their tickets can't sell for face and pick them up on the cheap. PSL GOLD

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, JETSY14 said:

You don't know have to buy Jet tickets months in advance...Tickets can be received in seconds, no more waiting for the mailman to come deliver them.  People know to wait and they will get a deeply discounted ticket.

I travel the country going to Jets games. Do you?

Mailman?  If I’m spending $1000 on flights and $500 on hotel rooms booked months in advance I am going to spend money to buy tickets well in advance.  And pay more If necessary. I’m not going to wait to the last minute and wait for leftover  tickets that might compromise the experience.

Furthermore, when I have sold my seats at MetLife Stadium there are certain fans who buy tickets months in advance and there are those who wait until the last minute.  Raiders fans are in that advance group.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I travel the country going to Jets games. Do you?

Mailman?  If I’m spending $1000 on flights and $500 on hotel rooms booked months in advance I am going to spend money to buy tickets well in advance.  And pay more If necessary. I’m not going to wait to the last minute and wait for leftover  tickets that might compromise the experience.

Furthermore, when I have sold my seats at MetLife Stadium there are certain fans who buy tickets months in advance and there are those who wait until the last minute.  Raiders fans are in that advance group.

SAR I

No I don't travel to see the Jets because the product the Johnson's put on the field hasn't been relevant since 2010. 

You DON'T have to wait for the mailman. Everything is done in seconds.

Just keep paying Mr. Johnson a premium, he loves you.

• WTF? 1

If the Jets want to do something about it they should offer a season ticket plan at a discount. But you can't sell the tickets. You go and pay less (get rewarded) for going all the time.

This is electronic world, this can happen but it won't.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Good. I love him too. Great owner. Look at how far we have come under his direction. 

SAR I

In 18 years he owned the team we had 9 winning seasons... If we don't have a winning season this year that will drop us below .500...great direction

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, PCP63 said:

How about the Jets consistently produce a good product on the field. Only then can they complain about lack of respect. 

I’m 100% ok with this as long as they don’t lay it at the fans feet, and look in the mirror for the reason why they got booed. You know being 3-7, and all.