Call Me Crazy, But Sam Darnold Reminds Me of...

In 8 games in 2019, Sam Darnold's Jets are 4-4, beating Dallas (6-5), the Giants (2-9), the Redskins (2-9), and the Raiders (6-5).

He is 168-263 (63.9%), an improvement over his rookie campaign, and good enough to be rated 20th in the NFL.

His On-Target % of 64.9% ranks him 31st in the NFL. 

His receivers drop % of 3.2% is 6th best in the NFL.

He has thrown for 1,915 Yards, or 239.4 Yards Per Game, good enough to be rated 20th in the NFL.

He has thrown 13 Passing TD's vs. 11 INT's.  His rate of INT rates him 33rd in the NFL.

As always, all reference performance statistics courtesy of the various pages of Pro Football Reference. 

21 minutes ago, Joe Willie said:

Oh, really? All those picks he's thrown constitute a great QB ... the Jets' savior? I don't think so. Don't be so desperate to anoint him, just yet. 

I'm curious what the great qb's did in their 1st 2 yrs in the nfl?

Sam has made a ton of mistakes and will make a bunch more but I'm confident based on his body of work so far that with protection he will be our guy

1 hour ago, joewilly said:

I'm curious what the great qb's did in their 1st 2 yrs in the nfl?

Sam has made a ton of mistakes and will make a bunch more but I'm confident based on his body of work so far that with protection he will be our guy

Exactly! Right now, he's not an elite QB, regardless of his record. He's shown signs of sparkle, but he's not there yet and he'll continue to make mistakes. Give him time, but don't count yer chickens.

• Upvote 1

Rodgers is incredible in the pocket which is the aspect of Darnolds game that needs some work. Also Sams downfield accuracy is nowhere close to Rodgers. 

This is not a knock on Sam as Rodgers is one of the five best to ever do it. Even if Sam ends up becoming a poor mans Rodgers that’s a terrific QB. 

1 hour ago, RonaldJet said:

Rodgers is incredible in the pocket which is the aspect of Darnolds game that needs some work. Also Sams downfield accuracy is nowhere close to Rodgers. 

This is not a knock on Sam as Rodgers is one of the five best to ever do it. Even if Sam ends up becoming a poor mans Rodgers that’s a terrific QB. 

Remember that one guy was all disappointed saying the Darnold will have a Phillip Rivers-like career?

I cant say if he looks like this or that other Quarterback but other than a few picks on desperation passes that he has to learn not to throw I have been very happy with  everything I have seen from Sam, on and off the field.

What was especially important yesterday was to see the kid from Southern Cal play great in the slop. Reminds me of when it was raining on his pro-day and they were expecting the workout to be moved inside and Sam said he wanted to keep it out in the rain!

I am amazed that nobody seems to agree? 

The version of Darnold we saw yesterday looked like Elway.

Only difference is Sam never seems to wanna run for a first down like Elway did.  I wish he would more often.   Sam is ALWAYS looking to throw, no matter how much room in front of him.