Rhg1084

Is Gregg Williams going to leave us?

What’s his contract situation? He’s been phenomenal this year wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a head coaching opportunity 

• Upvote 1

He didn’t get a HC job even after turning around the Browns. I think he’s not considered head coaching material anymore. 

• Upvote 3

There's a few teams I bet who would easily let him try.. Bengals might.  I'm also wondering what his contract status is.  He's done a great job.

I've been thinking about this most of the Season myself and if he leaves that would really suck. It has been noted that I liked Williams as well as Adam as our head coach when both of them were first free and I really think we lucked out.

I hope they're smart enough to keep this together. We are just starting to really see what real football men can achieve for this team for the first time in god-knows-how-long.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, docdhc said:

He didn’t get a HC job even after turning around the Browns. I think he’s not considered head coaching material anymore. 

Exactly. 

Not to mention most teams these days are more interested in young Offensive minded HCs and not old school, defensive minded HCs. Of all the hires this offseason, we saw 8 new HCs, 6 were Offensive minded and 2 were defensive. I think that trend continues. 

And if there is a team looking for a defensive minded head coach I am sure the Saleh dude from SF is going to be on the top of everyone's list. 

So I am pretty sure Gregg Williams is "stuck" with us for a while. 

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

What’s his contract situation? He’s been phenomenal this year wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a head coaching opportunity 

Gregg will only leave for a HC job. I don't see it happening. I think he will be back.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Gregg will only leave for a HC job. I don't see it happening. I think he will be back.

Agreed.  He will be here for a few yesrs.  Its a great feeling.

18 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Unless the rumors are true that he and Gase don't get along.

Gregg has averaged 2-2.5 seasons at each stop since 2001. He seems to “leave” for a variety of reasons, lol.  

I think he’ll be back next year too but he’s highly unlikely to be a long term guy anywhere he goes.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Gregg has averaged 2-2.5 seasons at each stop since 2001. He seems to “leave” for a variety of reasons, lol. 

I think he’ll be back next year too but he’s highly unlikely to be a long term guy anywhere he goes.

Hope he is a back. He has earned a HC shot with his performance last year in Cleveland. He had some baggage that cost him the HC job but he is doing amazing job this year with our squad and I hope they talk him into staying a few more seasons

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

yeah I don't see him here in 4 years but I definitely think he'll be back next year.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Exactly, he's been fired from his HC jobs a couple of times.  Those guys don't get third or fourth tries. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DJF71 said:

Winning eases a lot of bad feelings.

And, I don't think Gregg got along with Kitchens particularly well either.

• Upvote 1

He’s not getting another HC opportunity. I think even GW has come to grips with that at this point.

He’ll be a DC until the days he decides to retire. And the Jets should keep him around in that capacity for as long as possible.

Williams has a 3 year deal. Highly likely he is here next year.

I remember at one of his press conferences during training camp he mentioned he got a bunch of interviews for HC gig that he turned down this past offseason. I think it would have to be the perfect situation to have him leave, I think he’ll be here at least the next year or two. 

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Winning eases a lot of bad feelings.

And, I don't think Gregg got along with Kitchens particularly well either.

That’s the hope. Gase and Williams are both volatile guys. No surprise they may have some friction. But if they’re each getting the job done now and the wins continue, no reason they can’t work together. 

As has been said, Williams can only leave for a head coaching job. Otherwise, the only way he’s gone is if the Jets fire him. There’d have to be some terrible behind-the-scenes stuff happening for that to go down. 

8 hours ago, DJF71 said:

If we finish the season strongly they will be fine.,  if not? Then worry . Winning cures all ills. He has that defense playing damn good ball with the cards he was dealt. Pretty impressive.,

9 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

His ship has sailed as a head coach. He is going to be our defensive coordinator for the foreseeable future. 

Probably will if we ever go far in the playoffs or win.a championship.  But he's got two things against him now.

1.)  The fallout from Bounty Gate

2.) He's a blowhard who pisses off certain people around the league.

But Williams can dial in a good defense and he's proven it around the league.  Be happy we got him at a tramsirionary period of his career. 

2 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Snyder will probably make a run for him. 

Doubt it.  I think he goes after an offensive coach to help Haskins

Just now, pdxgreen said:

Probably will if we ever win a championship.  But he's got two things against him now.

1.)  The fallout from Bounty Gate

2.) He's a blowhard who pisses off certain people around the league.

But GregWilliam's can dial in a good defense and he's proven it around the league.  Be happy we got him at a tramsirionary period of his career. 

Williams has never been a good political guy he’s kind of similar to Rex in that he rubs a lot of people the wrong way that’s part of why he got forced out in Cleveland after doing a really good job

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He’s been searching for the right home. Maybe he found it. Winning has a way to keep people. Hope the Jets can turn it around

7 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

He’s been searching for the right home. Maybe he found it. Winning has a way to keep people. Hope the Jets can turn it around

Or, he wears out his welcome everywhere he goes.