Greenbloodblitz

Robert Steven Anderson is worth what!?

In the last 16 games with Sam Darnold as QB, Robby has 911 yards and 8 TDs. I'm on board with keeping him, I think he'll definitely cost more than Enunwa though.

If he asks for more than Q got, no chance I’d bring him back.
  • Upvote 2

I can certainly see why people wouldn't want to pay him but he will definitely ask for more since Enunwa got $9m and Crowder got $9.5m. different GM I know but he wouldn't be out of line to ask for that.

Perhaps, but I don’t think he has much leverage. This is supposed to be a talent-rich WR group coming out in the 2020 draft.    

Even if he’s considered possibly the best free agent WR2 (competing with the likes of Randall Cobb and Manny Sanders), I dont think the open market would be too kind to him. He doesn’t have the pedigree of being a former high pick, and he hasn’t exactly had a tremendous season in a contract year.

We don’t yet know how shrewd a negotiatior Douglas is, but we do know there are few who were ever worse than Macc.

• Like 1

Yea I don't know too much about the WRs outside of the first round. I just expect us to focus on OL in the draft, at least early on. I'd 100% be on board for Lamb, Jackson, or the kid from Liberty. I'm not the biggest Jeudy fan.

I’d look to sign Robby at WR3 value, bring back Demaryius on the cheap, then hope a good WR falls to us in the 2nd/3rd round.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Drums said:

Side note: I hated the DT singing his first 2 games and now he's shown why they brought him in. I feel pretty good about our passing offense right now--as long as our offensive line holds up. Guys get open, Sam gets them the ball accurately, and they are making plays.

Well we gave up a 2021 6th rounder for him, so it wasn't a typical "signing".  I think he's proven to be well worth that pick.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Some Jet fans are so used to the draft being the only good part of the season that they see a good player who isn't the best at his position (and it has to be a position of importance) and all they can think about is how much draft capital they would be worth.  It's almost like the post-season wasn't really important.  

It's not just the draft opportunities.  It's the opportunity cost of paying Robby somewhere in the neighborhood of $10M per year instead of paying someone else that money.  Some people want us to pay Jamal $15M per.  We need at least 4 new starting OL, a CB1 and EDGE.  That money adds up over time.  

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Jet Life said:

The bad part is he’s way better than Q. Robby is an actual player who’d contribute on a good offense unlike Q. Thanks for that contract Macc!

Yep.  Macc paid the wrong guy.  That was pretty clear the moment pen went to paper.  

1 hour ago, jgb said:

All of this handwringing about overpaying is very funny. Jets actually have a homegrown talent for once and we are worried he wants to be paid.

How many years in a row have we been seriously under the cap?

Well, the "homegrown" Quincy Enunwa re-signing was a disaster.  As was Brian Winters.  

Just because you have a few decent homegrown players doesn't mean you HAVE to re-sign them all.  Would it have been smart to re-sign Leonard Williams to a big contract?

We know this roster needs a ton of turnover regardless.  The WR class this year is deep.  I'd rather invest in cheap young talent via the draft than bring back players who haven't moved the needle on a bad team, and use the money we'd be paying the likes of Robby on O-Line.  But if Robby is willing to sign for low-end WR2 money, I'm down to bring him back.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Key word being “talent.”

Yes.  And Robby Anderson is a little above replacement level talent.  It's silly to overrate him and pay him "just because".  

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

We didn't win on that trade. His value was more than that if the Jets - Gase - didn't act like he was damaged goods they wanted no part of. Plus they could have waited for someone else to sustain an ILB injury of their own. How he's played on KC is hindsight that was not available. 

I was never a big Darron Lee fan - starting with our far greater needs when he was drafted - but the day he was traded he was a fast, young player with a recent 1st round pedigree, 3 years starting experience, and a very cheap contract. His $1.8MM remaining on his rookie deal was cheap even for a veteran backup player with little to no upside. May 15th - before the coach even coached him for one hit on the field - was a silly time to take a bargain deal. We weren't desperate for his roster spot at that time, nor were we desperate for his <$2MM in cap room. The domino effect of that move - the injuries to Williamson & Mosely - only make it sting more.

It was a waist-down move, not a neck-up move.

Macc spent time in the offseason trying to move Lee and seemingly got offered no better than a 5th.  What kinds of injuries would it have taken for Lee to gain value?  We suffered a ton of LB injuries and seemingly did just fine in-house cobbling together practice squad-level talent to do the job.  

Sure, we could have waited.  But he clearly wasn't in Gregg Williams' plans, thus stunting any ability to "showcase" him.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

He won’t get 15-20 million. That “concern” exists only in Jets fans’ minds.

Agreed with that.  I think $10-12M per is about the range his agent will be willing to entertain.  Tyler Boyd is the perfect contract to compare Robby's worth to, even if Boyd is more of a slot guy.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then you keep him. Or you trade him for a 5th rounder before the draft so you can use that pick in the current season. Once the draft came and went it seemed stupid. And if Williams took that stance before coaching him as well, well it just highlights why coordinators are not GMs. 

I do think Gase should have waited until Douglas showed up.  But this is a guy who uses smelling salts on the sidelines and our owner probably has an IQ below 90 and was too busy snorting coke off of Russian hookers to care what happened, so the trade happened.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

1 catch 1 TD is high production. Cant throw himself the ball.

You wanting to go with a rook and use the $ for sound OL...   that strategy has merit.  

Someone else posted...   16 gamed w/ Sam 8TD, 9XX yds...   

The top Wrs may be gone, depending on where we draft and such....

fwiw, Chrebet had 18 TD in his first 4 yrs, Robby has 18 TD so far...

Robby TD/catch % is %10

Robby's value is tied directly to whether we can significantly improve the Offensive Line this offseason.  No time to throw = little production for Anderson.  

That's not a guy you spend $12M on when you need at least 4 new starting OL.  

9 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

like i said, i see merit in that strategy...  but it is not w/o risk...   we dont have alot of explosiveness in this offense....

so far...  if the OL can play at the level it has been for the last several weeks, 
we will have more data with which to make that decision...   i very much understand the
"dont pay him cos his doesnt suck and hes a jet" angle....

Just depends on cost for me.  Eventually we're going to have to pay Darnold.  Every dollar will count leading up to that point.  Haggling over a "few million" might not seem like much when we're way under the cap.  But if Douglas is worth his salt the cap will become an issue over time.  Bad contracts are how teams get into trouble.  

15 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Robby Anderson is our best young wide receiver. 

Does that make him worth $10M per season?  Or is that more of a reflection of our lack of investment (aside from an ill-advised contract to Enunwa) in the WR position over the last several seasons?

25 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Looks like RA has his own ideas...

Um just tryna take it da Top I know where I belong I ain’t gone stop grindin till I’m past there

🙏🏽
5:08 AM · Dec 2, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

I fail to see how Robby's tweet has anything to do with what I stated.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Losmeister said:

You are guessing/wondering what the Jets may or may not pay him. At least that's what I got outta that.

I infer from his tweet that he's looking past the Jets already...making "what will the Jets be willing to pay RA" moot.

Seems like its more like it will be other NFL teams estimating his worth and offering him a contract.

Fine by me.  Let him test the market and see what's out there.  If he gets a big deal maybe Douglas can play the Compensatory Pick game and cobble together a roster without signing UFA's.  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company