Greenbloodblitz

Robert Steven Anderson is worth what!?

27 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Based off this list Robby belongs squarely at 9,400,000/Year 

It'll be more than that. The list is comprised of contracts with factors that won't pertain to Robby Anderson in March of 2020. Namely:

1. He is a 2020 FA, not a 2016-2018 FA. Inflation is significant, particularly among UFAs.

2. Others in that bracket were extensions not pure UFA contracts, where players getting the benefit of bidding wars Robby is in line to get. That's how teams can get an under-market deal (they start paying out earlier and get a bit of a discount for absorbing the risk; player gets paid earlier without gambling it all on no injuries to himself or to his team's FQB). 

3. Some in this group are past their playing prime; Robby turns 27 next year, so he should be squarely in his prime for the duration of any/all guaranteed seasons. 

Look at the contracts of true UFAs testing the market. You're likely to see someone like Funchess get $10MM for this year coming off a 549-yard season in Carolina (which I might add is his 2nd-best total to his one-time high of 840 yds, a solid 100 lower than RA's best, with McCown/Petty tossing it). 

I'd be surprised if he signs anywhere for under $11MM, and there's a good chance some WR-needy team will bet the Jets held back his numbers to pay him even more. If he's healthy I think that's his floor as a UFA. The time to lock him up for Enunwa money - possibly even a little less - has passed. 

• Like 1

I feel it is necessary at this time to say Robby Anderson is not a great/#1 WR.

It needed to be said, for the first time on this website, as it is very important to note whenever his name comes up.

Also, Go Routes and stuff.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, JTJet said:

I agree with you, I'm just being simplistic about it and saying his actual value compared to the wrs on that list is 9.4

From what we know of Joe Douglas so far, he ain't overpaying anyone for "average" production.. With that being said, my money is on Robby getting overpaid by another team and  JD politely walking away from him. 

Hard to say. If they never attempted to trade him, or got no interest at all, I'd say that's likely as well. But turning down a 4th round pick for another half season of Robby Anderson with the team looking all but mathematically eliminated? Now I'm not so sure. 

Would have been interesting to see how Douglas would have handled Darron Lee. Personally I still think it was stupid despite the cheers, and keeping him may very well have prevented Williamson landing on IR in August, which in turn may have prevented Mosely's injury (under the idea that, within reason, everything changes everything and these guys wouldn't have been in those positions that got them injured). Plus it was just a stupid thing to do even before one practice - an announcement that nobody gets a clean slate with him, in effect - in light of how little Gase got in return and how we were 50 weeks away from even seeing whom we'd get for that low pick.

Part of me does agree with you, though. That if Douglas was intent on extending Robby, why would he wait? The only leverage he has over Anderson is a franchise or transition tag he's not going to use, plus the remaining games in which Anderson could suffer a serious injury before getting paid. With each passing week that injury risk declines by a significant amount. 

23 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Mostly agree except for D Lee. You can drive yourself nuts playing the "should've/could've" game, but when based off the actual outcome, we ended up winning that trade by a lot. He has virtually dissapeared on KC. 

We didn't win on that trade. His value was more than that if the Jets - Gase - didn't act like he was damaged goods they wanted no part of. Plus they could have waited for someone else to sustain an ILB injury of their own. How he's played on KC is hindsight that was not available. 

I was never a big Darron Lee fan - starting with our far greater needs when he was drafted - but the day he was traded he was a fast, young player with a recent 1st round pedigree, 3 years starting experience, and a very cheap contract. His $1.8MM remaining on his rookie deal was cheap even for a veteran backup player with little to no upside. May 15th - before the coach even coached him for one hit on the field - was a silly time to take a bargain deal. We weren't desperate for his roster spot at that time, nor were we desperate for his <$2MM in cap room. The domino effect of that move - the injuries to Williamson & Mosely - only make it sting more.

It was a waist-down move, not a neck-up move.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well, the "homegrown" Quincy Enunwa re-signing was a disaster.  As was Brian Winters.  

Just because you have a few decent homegrown players doesn't mean you HAVE to re-sign them all.  Would it have been smart to re-sign Leonard Williams to a big contract?

We know this roster needs a ton of turnover regardless.  The WR class this year is deep.  I'd rather invest in cheap young talent via the draft than bring back players who haven't moved the needle on a bad team, and use the money we'd be paying the likes of Robby on O-Line.  But if Robby is willing to sign for low-end WR2 money, I'm down to bring him back.  

But Q isn't really guaranteed more than 1 season, remember? 

Except now his $6MM salary for 2020 is probably going to get guaranteed due to the injury. If his playing days really are over, Enunwa has no incentive to take an injury settlement for a dollar less than that. Only incentive is maybe if he can still play, the team can threaten to IR him again so he can't prove he can still play, making it 3 of the last 4 years of missing the whole season (and an IR-ending season on the one in between). 

I don't know which way to look at it. Either $12MM isn't that much for him because the team is otherwise just going to piss it away anyway? Or the opposite: the team's definitely going to piss away tens of millions this year so they can ill-afford to risk pissing away another guaranteed $20MM on Robby Anderson, lol. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc spent time in the offseason trying to move Lee and seemingly got offered no better than a 5th.  What kinds of injuries would it have taken for Lee to gain value?  We suffered a ton of LB injuries and seemingly did just fine in-house cobbling together practice squad-level talent to do the job.  

Sure, we could have waited.  But he clearly wasn't in Gregg Williams' plans, thus stunting any ability to "showcase" him.  

Then you keep him. Or you trade him for a 5th rounder before the draft so you can use that pick in the current season. Once the draft came and went it seemed stupid. And if Williams took that stance before coaching him as well, well it just highlights why coordinators are not GMs. 

6 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Darron Lee was a complete waste and Gase made a statement to the team by trading him for a lower pick than Macc held out for, I think Gase would have cut him if he couldn't get even a 7th round pick. Getting rid of Macc's garbage as soon as possible sets the tone for the remainder of Macc's picks - produce or you'll hit the road.

That was the goal. It was dumb to do with a player he hasn’t coached yet. What was the rush?  It just looked like it was the planned dump it was rather than the “statement” that comes from benching or cutting a player who’s doing poorly on the field or is acting like a distraction off it. As it turns out there’s every likelihood keeping him as a cheap backup may have prevented the injuries to two other starting ILBs in Aug and Sept. 

2 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Gase did coach against Lee twice a year and had some idea of his level of talent. I don't miss Lee at all, watching him get pushed around like a high school player.

Come on. He wasn't cut for his talent level. He was starting for 3 years and was just coming off his strongest year, including the glorious PFF ranking that had him top 20 for most or all of the year (top 5-10 in Sept). Before the Jets signed Mosely, there were hardly any Jets fans - who'd seen Lee play more than Gase had - calling for the team to get him off the roster no matter what. Let alone while the preseason roster was sitting comfortably at 90 for another 100+ days (including all of training camp). They kept camp fodder UDFAs over him, for a 2020 (expected) late 6th rounder, which carries the current-season value of a late 7th rounder -- essentially a rounding error in trades. 

It's ridiculous to suggest that each sub-practice-squad type they're bringing into camp is presumed superior to Lee. That's simply absurd and is trying to make the end fit the means in hindsight because we want to believe the best about Jets we're tied to for a good while longer (namely Gase). Never mind Gase doesn't even coach the defense in the first place. This was a "message" move, and sending a message before you've coached him is a message for which no teammate will feel the sting while they're not even with the team in May.

If, of all things Gase wanted, it was to send a "you're not cutting it" message? Then make an example of Lee by cutting him while everyone on the roster is watching closely: after he has a weak practice (or a weak week of practices or a weak preseason game, or something visibly for cause). THEN let them see that the new coaches just want to get rid of him even if we don't get anything of significance in return. Lee's value wasn't going to get any lower than the compensation received - the trade value of a Chiefs 7th round pick in 2019 - unless he got seriously injured, and honestly his value could have easily gotten higher with reports of having a great camp but we're so crowded at the position we just don't need him more than a mid-round pick a season later. Never mind waiting until his value goes up after a starting ILB gets injured over the summer. 

It was foolishness done by a person who, whatever his other strengths might be, has no business being a front office negotiator. What was the rush to move him before Douglas was hired? Worries over getting less than a late 6th round pick 49 weeks later? Come on.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company