Robert Steven Anderson is worth what!?

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are definately keeping him.  He is one of our better players.  The hate for this guy is really strange.  He is a really good player for us.

Some Jet fans are so used to the draft being the only good part of the season that they see a good player who isn't the best at his position (and it has to be a position of importance) and all they can think about is how much draft capital they would be worth.  It's almost like the post-season wasn't really important.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

In the last 16 games with Sam Darnold as QB, Robby has 911 yards and 8 TDs. I'm on board with keeping him, I think he'll definitely cost more than Enunwa though.

Robby is the third or 4th best WR in upcoming free agency he’s gonna get paid big time

If the jets lock him up to a $50 million deal that will be our next debacle contract 

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Robby is the third or 4th best WR in upcoming free agency he’s gonna get paid big time

If the jets lock him up to a $50 million deal that will be our next debacle contract 

He’s probably THE best WR set to hit FA.

What’s his competition? Tajae Sharpe and Demarcus Robinson?

Guys like Cooper, Green and Sanders are almost guaranteed to re-sign with their current teams.

It’s going to take $11-12 million a year to keep Robby.

If he performed like yesterday on at least a semi-consistent basis, I’d have no problem giving it to him.

But it’s a bit of a hard sell for me right now.

• Upvote 2

He should be paid like a number 1 receiver for sure, but not an elite number one.  He is more than a one trick pony.  He can run the shallow stuff too.  His best attribute, I think is the eyes he has in the back of his head.  Uncanny adjustment to the ball.  The fun factor is there too.  I was at the game and fans were having a ball when he jumped into the crowd.  He's a natural Jet.  Also remember that he is durable.   He's not a Julio Jones level guy, but he's not fools gold.  He's a very nice player.  If Douglas does not make a strong effort to keep Anderson and Jamal Adams, I will be disappointed.  You don't want to collect players, you want to build a team... 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He’s probably THE best WR set to hit FA.

Guys like Cooper, Green and Sanders are almost guaranteed to re-sign with their current teams.

It’s going to take $11-12 million a year to keep Robby.

If he performed like yesterday on at least a semi-consistent basis, I’d have no problem giving it to him.

But it’s a bit of a hard sell for me right now.

I think there’s something to the fact that Robbies a long strider- a downfield route runner- so when Darnold has to get rid of the ball quickly, Robbie’s not going to be featured in the passing game. I’m days like yesterday when the OL gives Sam some time, he finds Robbie downfield. 

there was decent interest in Robbie before the trade deadline, and the FA WR market will be bare. Given we have Crowder and nothing else under contract in 2020 I think we have to bring him back.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

You brought it up. I don’t even know who you are or what you’re talking about.

I mean, he's been here a little over 1 year, compared with your roughly 10...

That said, his one year as a #RealFan > your 10 years as a #FakeFan, so I'm giving him the nod in Who Had The Darth Vader Avatar Longer.

It is decided, I will hear no arguments to the contrary.  Good day.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’d look to sign Robby at WR3 value, bring back Demaryius on the cheap, then hope a good WR falls to us in the 2nd/3rd round.

Side note: I hated the DT singing his first 2 games and now he's shown why they brought him in. I feel pretty good about our passing offense right now--as long as our offensive line holds up. Guys get open, Sam gets them the ball accurately, and they are making plays.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

45 minutes ago, Drums said:

Side note: I hated the DT singing his first 2 games and now he's shown why they brought him in. I feel pretty good about our passing offense right now--as long as our offensive line holds up. Guys get open, Sam gets them the ball accurately, and they are making plays.

Well we gave up a 2021 6th rounder for him, so it wasn't a typical "signing".  I think he's proven to be well worth that pick.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Some Jet fans are so used to the draft being the only good part of the season that they see a good player who isn't the best at his position (and it has to be a position of importance) and all they can think about is how much draft capital they would be worth.  It's almost like the post-season wasn't really important.  

It's not just the draft opportunities.  It's the opportunity cost of paying Robby somewhere in the neighborhood of $10M per year instead of paying someone else that money.  Some people want us to pay Jamal $15M per.  We need at least 4 new starting OL, a CB1 and EDGE.  That money adds up over time.  

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Robby is an enigma!  Plain and simple. One week he looks like a wr1 or wr2.. the next week he disappears? He makes great plays and jumps into the stands.. then he hardly tries to catch contested balls over the middle?  Then he makes circus catches.. will The Real Slim Shady please stand up!?  He can speak eloquently  certain interviews, then acts like a complete dope and makes boneheaded plays on the field for costly penalties?

Is he a 1, 2  ,or  3 !!??  should we give him 8 million, 12 million, 16 million? I honestly just don't know.  I'm asking you my brethren for your honest and serious opinion. I'm sure if he leaves he'll get more than we will offer him. So how much is he actually worth?

I admit I have warmed up to this guy and I'm wishing him well and I'd like to keep Robby, I just need to see more stability. However his body of work thus far says what???

Pass

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

I'd rather have D-Rob for half the price playing Z - who is more effective on anything not post/9/corner route .... Robbie's agent is going to be after 15/yr - and he's not a complete X. 

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well we gave up a 2021 6th rounder for him, so it wasn't a typical "signing".  I think he's proven to be well worth that pick.  

Yeah, and the bastards that we gave it to made it worse at the time, but now I don't care so much--as long as that pick doesn't turn into TB's replacement haha.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'd rather have D-Rob for half the price playing Z - who is more effective on anything not post/9/corner route .... Robbie's agent is going to be after 15/yr - and he's not a complete X. 

I probably would too

Robby disappears far too often and unless he’s running simple go-routes, he’s not that effective regardless.

It’s a shame that FA takes place before the draft.

If we win another 2+ games, a guy like Jeudy will probably be out of the mix for us. But if we’re picking in that 10-14 range, I think that’s going to be prime position for a guy like CeeDee Lamb. And I’d much rather bring back DT at $6 million a year and have a trio of Lamb/Thomas/Crowder over paying Robby big money.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

All of this handwringing about overpaying is very funny. Jets actually have a homegrown talent for once and we are worried he wants to be paid.

How many years in a row have we been seriously under the cap?

My concern isn’t how much to pay Anderson, +/- 3M is irrelevant.  It’s whether you trust him to perform as a multimillionaire the same as he did as an UDFA.  My gut says he still plays, but I’m not around him every day.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He's the kind of player that requires the QB to have some time to be effective, but if you give the QB time he's as big a threat as just about anyone in the league.

I like having a guy on the team who can blow the top off of a defense with ease and also threaten a cop to nut in his wife’s eye.

I also think another WR, an improved line, and possibly the emergence of Griffin/Herndon combo, and he could have a Desean Jackson-like impact.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Based off this list Robby belongs squarely at 9,400,000/Year 

It'll be more than that. The list is comprised of contracts with factors that won't pertain to Robby Anderson in March of 2020. Namely:

1. He is a 2020 FA, not a 2016-2018 FA. Inflation is significant, particularly among UFAs.

2. Others in that bracket were extensions not pure UFA contracts, where players getting the benefit of bidding wars Robby is in line to get. That's how teams can get an under-market deal (they start paying out earlier and get a bit of a discount for absorbing the risk; player gets paid earlier without gambling it all on no injuries to himself or to his team's FQB). 

3. Some in this group are past their playing prime; Robby turns 27 next year, so he should be squarely in his prime for the duration of any/all guaranteed seasons. 

Look at the contracts of true UFAs testing the market. You're likely to see someone like Funchess get $10MM for this year coming off a 549-yard season in Carolina (which I might add is his 2nd-best total to his one-time high of 840 yds, a solid 100 lower than RA's best, with McCown/Petty tossing it). 

I'd be surprised if he signs anywhere for under $11MM, and there's a good chance some WR-needy team will bet the Jets held back his numbers to pay him even more. If he's healthy I think that's his floor as a UFA. The time to lock him up for Enunwa money - possibly even a little less - has passed. 

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Robby is a good player, but he is not a #1. He isn't a very good route runner. He is just a HR threat. Which is great, if you also have a #1 playing alongside him. 

I think he’s improved running routes..not just a hr threat...clutch catches in the red zone as well...but I think he would be a solid number 2 receiver...

39 minutes ago, jgb said:

All of this handwringing about overpaying is very funny. Jets actually have a homegrown talent for once and we are worried he wants to be paid.

How many years in a row have we been seriously under the cap?

well that was my original point jgb. Is this the best Robbie is ever going to get? If this is his ceiling so to speak and he's maxed out what is he actually worth? I'm not trying to say nickel-and-dime him but he's definitely not worth 15 or 20 million a year by any means.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It'll be more than that. The list is comprised of contracts with factors that won't pertain to Robby Anderson in March of 2020. Namely:

1. He is a 2020 FA, not a 2016-2018 FA. Inflation is significant, particularly among UFAs.

2. Others in that bracket were extensions not pure UFA contracts, where players getting the benefit of bidding wars Robby is in line to get. That's how teams can get an under-market deal (they start paying out earlier and get a bit of a discount for absorbing the risk; player gets paid earlier without gambling it all on no injuries to himself or to his team's FQB). 

3. Some in this group are past their playing prime; Robby turns 27 next year, so he should be squarely in his prime for the duration of any/all guaranteed seasons. 

Look at the contracts of true UFAs testing the market. You're likely to see someone like Funchess get $10MM for this year coming off a 549-yard season in Carolina (which I might add is his 2nd-best total to his one-time high of 840 yds, a solid 100 lower than RA's best, with McCown/Petty tossing it). 

I'd be surprised if he signs anywhere for under $11MM, and there's a good chance some WR-needy team will bet the Jets held back his numbers to pay him even more. If he's healthy I think that's his floor as a UFA. The time to lock him up for Enunwa money - possibly even a little less - has passed. 

I agree with you, I'm just being simplistic about it and saying his actual value compared to the wrs on that list is 9.4

From what we know of Joe Douglas so far, he ain't overpaying anyone for "average" production.. With that being said, my money is on Robby getting overpaid by another team and  JD politely walking away from him. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

So have I my my friend.. on ALL of the Jets fan sites. And I wouldn't consider this silly thing a fight. However I've already shown you respect and you don't seem to get it so just let it go and enjoy yourself

I always hear your posts in Spock's voice....interesting Captain...

• Haha 1

Just now, JTJet said:

I agree with you, I'm just being simplistic about it and saying his actual value compared to the wrs on that list is 9.4

From what we know of Joe Douglas so far, he ain't overpaying anyone for "average" production.. With that being said, my money is on Robby getting overpaid by another team and  JD politely walking away from him. 

Hard to say. If they never attempted to trade him, or got no interest at all, I'd say that's likely as well. But turning down a 4th round pick for another half season of Robby Anderson with the team looking all but mathematically eliminated? Now I'm not so sure. 

Would have been interesting to see how Douglas would have handled Darron Lee. Personally I still think it was stupid despite the cheers, and keeping him may very well have prevented Williamson landing on IR in August, which in turn may have prevented Mosely's injury (under the idea that, within reason, everything changes everything and these guys wouldn't have been in those positions that got them injured). Plus it was just a stupid thing to do even before one practice - an announcement that nobody gets a clean slate with him, in effect - in light of how little Gase got in return and how we were 50 weeks away from even seeing whom we'd get for that low pick.

Part of me does agree with you, though. That if Douglas was intent on extending Robby, why would he wait? The only leverage he has over Anderson is a franchise or transition tag he's not going to use, plus the remaining games in which Anderson could suffer a serious injury before getting paid. With each passing week that injury risk declines by a significant amount.