Jump to content
Greenbloodblitz

Robert Steven Anderson is worth what!?

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I like having a guy on the team who can blow the top off of a defense with ease and also threaten a cop to nut in his wife’s eye.

I also think another WR, an improved line, and possibly the emergence of Griffin/Herndon combo, and he could have a Desean Jackson-like impact.

A big bodied (6'3"- 6'4") WR that can outmuscle a DB at the point of contention would be my preference. Now, those guys don't just drop off trees.

For me, this may be more important for Darnold as he does not seem to have the accurate deep ball on a receiver that has beaten coverage deep. Darnold's deep pass may have to rely on back shoulder and jump balls.

My fear is that a signed Anderson WILL be just like a Desean Jackson--Spending more time on the sidelines hurt than in the line-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hard to say. If they never attempted to trade him, or got no interest at all, I'd say that's likely as well. But turning down a 4th round pick for another half season of Robby Anderson with the team looking all but mathematically eliminated? Now I'm not so sure. 

Would have been interesting to see how Douglas would have handled Darron Lee. Personally I still think it was stupid despite the cheers, and keeping him may very well have prevented Williamson landing on IR in August, which in turn may have prevented Mosely's injury (under the idea that, within reason, everything changes everything and these guys wouldn't have been in those positions that got them injured). Plus it was just a stupid thing to do even before one practice - an announcement that nobody gets a clean slate with him, in effect - in light of how little Gase got in return and how we were 50 weeks away from even seeing whom we'd get for that low pick.

Part of me does agree with you, though. That if Douglas was intent on extending Robby, why would he wait? The only leverage he has over Anderson is a franchise or transition tag he's not going to use, plus the remaining games in which Anderson could suffer a serious injury before getting paid. With each passing week that injury risk declines by a significant amount. 

Mostly agree except for D Lee. You can drive yourself nuts playing the "should've/could've" game, but when based off the actual outcome, we ended up winning that trade by a lot. He has virtually dissapeared on KC. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darnold works well with a big bodied WR that can make tough catches. You look at his success his freshman year at USC he had JuJu and Darreous Rogers to work on the outside and a reliable slot guy with Deontay. He's most successful working on short and intermediate routes and he likes to spread the ball around so it's an absolute must to get his a #1 that is aggressive and make tough catches. Robbie is good at what he does with his speed and the deep ball but with Darnold I feel like he's replaceable if his contract demands doesn't make sense.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

yeah thos 2 rz TDs on crossing routes these last 2 weeks were NOT THAT EFFECTIVE

The TD against the Redskins was his sole catch of the day.

The week before that against the Giants...1 catch for 11 yards.

Aside from yesterday, he’s done basically dick since the Dallas game.

If you think his production warrants being paid $12 million a year, well, suit yourself.

I’d rather invest heavily in the OL with the available cap space and grab one of the top receivers in Round 1.

 

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

A big bodied (6'3"- 6'4") WR that can outmuscle a DB at the point of contention would be my preference. Now, those guys don't just drop off trees.

For me, this may be more important for Darnold as he does not seem to have the accurate deep ball on a receiver that has beaten coverage deep. Darnold's deep pass may have to rely on back shoulder and jump balls.

My fear is that a signed Anderson WILL be just like a Desean Jackson--Spending more time on the sidelines hurt than in the line-up.

In fairness, Anderson has not missed time thus far, if I remember correctly.

Obviously I’d like the TO mold of WR, and we should target that in the draft, but that doesn’t preclude us from keeping Anderson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jgb said:

All of this handwringing about overpaying is very funny. Jets actually have a homegrown talent for once and we are worried he wants to be paid.

How many years in a row have we been seriously under the cap?

Well, the "homegrown" Quincy Enunwa re-signing was a disaster.  As was Brian Winters.  

Just because you have a few decent homegrown players doesn't mean you HAVE to re-sign them all.  Would it have been smart to re-sign Leonard Williams to a big contract?

We know this roster needs a ton of turnover regardless.  The WR class this year is deep.  I'd rather invest in cheap young talent via the draft than bring back players who haven't moved the needle on a bad team, and use the money we'd be paying the likes of Robby on O-Line.  But if Robby is willing to sign for low-end WR2 money, I'm down to bring him back.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Well, the "homegrown" Quincy Enunwa re-signing was a disaster.  As was Brian Winters.  

Just because you have a few decent homegrown players doesn't mean you HAVE to re-sign them all.  Would it have been smart to re-sign Leonard Williams to a big contract?

Key word being “talent.”

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jgb said:

Key word being “talent.”

Yes.  And Robby Anderson is a little above replacement level talent.  It's silly to overrate him and pay him "just because".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Mostly agree except for D Lee. You can drive yourself nuts playing the "should've/could've" game, but when based off the actual outcome, we ended up winning that trade by a lot. He has virtually dissapeared on KC. 

We didn't win on that trade. His value was more than that if the Jets - Gase - didn't act like he was damaged goods they wanted no part of. Plus they could have waited for someone else to sustain an ILB injury of their own. How he's played on KC is hindsight that was not available. 

I was never a big Darron Lee fan - starting with our far greater needs when he was drafted - but the day he was traded he was a fast, young player with a recent 1st round pedigree, 3 years starting experience, and a very cheap contract. His $1.8MM remaining on his rookie deal was cheap even for a veteran backup player with little to no upside. May 15th - before the coach even coached him for one hit on the field - was a silly time to take a bargain deal. We weren't desperate for his roster spot at that time, nor were we desperate for his <$2MM in cap room. The domino effect of that move - the injuries to Williamson & Mosely - only make it sting more.

It was a waist-down move, not a neck-up move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

 well that was my original point jgb. Is this the best Robbie is ever going to get? If this is his ceiling so to speak and he's maxed out what is he actually worth? I'm not trying to say nickel-and-dime him but he's definitely not worth 15 or 20 million a year by any means.

He won’t get 15-20 million. That “concern” exists only in Jets fans’ minds.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

We didn't win on that trade. His value was more than that if the Jets - Gase - didn't act like he was damaged goods they wanted no part of. Plus they could have waited for someone else to sustain an ILB injury of their own. How he's played on KC is hindsight that was not available. 

I was never a big Darron Lee fan - starting with our far greater needs when he was drafted - but the day he was traded he was a fast, young player with a recent 1st round pedigree, 3 years starting experience, and a very cheap contract. His $1.8MM remaining on his rookie deal was cheap even for a veteran backup player with little to no upside. May 15th - before the coach even coached him for one hit on the field - was a silly time to take a bargain deal. We weren't desperate for his roster spot at that time, nor were we desperate for his <$2MM in cap room. The domino effect of that move - the injuries to Williamson & Mosely - only make it sting more.

It was a waist-down move, not a neck-up move.

 

Macc spent time in the offseason trying to move Lee and seemingly got offered no better than a 5th.  What kinds of injuries would it have taken for Lee to gain value?  We suffered a ton of LB injuries and seemingly did just fine in-house cobbling together practice squad-level talent to do the job.  

Sure, we could have waited.  But he clearly wasn't in Gregg Williams' plans, thus stunting any ability to "showcase" him.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jgb said:

He won’t get 15-20 million. That “concern” exists only in Jets fans’ minds.

Agreed with that.  I think $10-12M per is about the range his agent will be willing to entertain.  Tyler Boyd is the perfect contract to compare Robby's worth to, even if Boyd is more of a slot guy.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well, the "homegrown" Quincy Enunwa re-signing was a disaster.  As was Brian Winters.  

Just because you have a few decent homegrown players doesn't mean you HAVE to re-sign them all.  Would it have been smart to re-sign Leonard Williams to a big contract?

We know this roster needs a ton of turnover regardless.  The WR class this year is deep.  I'd rather invest in cheap young talent via the draft than bring back players who haven't moved the needle on a bad team, and use the money we'd be paying the likes of Robby on O-Line.  But if Robby is willing to sign for low-end WR2 money, I'm down to bring him back.  

But Q isn't really guaranteed more than 1 season, remember? 

Except now his $6MM salary for 2020 is probably going to get guaranteed due to the injury. If his playing days really are over, Enunwa has no incentive to take an injury settlement for a dollar less than that. Only incentive is maybe if he can still play, the team can threaten to IR him again so he can't prove he can still play, making it 3 of the last 4 years of missing the whole season (and an IR-ending season on the one in between). 

I don't know which way to look at it. Either $12MM isn't that much for him because the team is otherwise just going to piss it away anyway? Or the opposite: the team's definitely going to piss away tens of millions this year so they can ill-afford to risk pissing away another guaranteed $20MM on Robby Anderson, lol. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Macc spent time in the offseason trying to move Lee and seemingly got offered no better than a 5th.  What kinds of injuries would it have taken for Lee to gain value?  We suffered a ton of LB injuries and seemingly did just fine in-house cobbling together practice squad-level talent to do the job.  

Sure, we could have waited.  But he clearly wasn't in Gregg Williams' plans, thus stunting any ability to "showcase" him.  

Then you keep him. Or you trade him for a 5th rounder before the draft so you can use that pick in the current season. Once the draft came and went it seemed stupid. And if Williams took that stance before coaching him as well, well it just highlights why coordinators are not GMs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

If you think his production warrants being paid $12 million a year, well, suit yourself.

I’d rather invest heavily in the OL with the available cap space and grab one of the top receivers in Round 1.

1 catch 1 TD is high production. Cant throw himself the ball.

You wanting to go with a rook and use the $ for sound OL...   that strategy has merit.  

Someone else posted...   16 gamed w/ Sam 8TD, 9XX yds...   

The top Wrs may be gone, depending on where we draft and such....

fwiw, Chrebet had 18 TD in his first 4 yrs, Robby has 18 TD so far...

Robby TD/catch % is %10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then you keep him. Or you trade him for a 5th rounder before the draft so you can use that pick in the current season. Once the draft came and went it seemed stupid. And if Williams took that stance before coaching him as well, well it just highlights why coordinators are not GMs. 

I do think Gase should have waited until Douglas showed up.  But this is a guy who uses smelling salts on the sidelines and our owner probably has an IQ below 90 and was too busy snorting coke off of Russian hookers to care what happened, so the trade happened.  

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

1 catch 1 TD is high production. Cant throw himself the ball.

You wanting to go with a rook and use the $ for sound OL...   that strategy has merit.  

Someone else posted...   16 gamed w/ Sam 8TD, 9XX yds...   

The top Wrs may be gone, depending on where we draft and such....

fwiw, Chrebet had 18 TD in his first 4 yrs, Robby has 18 TD so far...

Robby TD/catch % is %10

 

Robby's value is tied directly to whether we can significantly improve the Offensive Line this offseason.  No time to throw = little production for Anderson.  

That's not a guy you spend $12M on when you need at least 4 new starting OL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Robby's value is tied directly to whether we can significantly improve the Offensive Line this offseason.  No time to throw = little production for Anderson.  

That's not a guy you spend $12M on when you need at least 4 new starting OL.  

like i said, i see merit in that strategy...  but it is not w/o risk...   we dont have alot of explosiveness in this offense....

so far...  if the OL can play at the level it has been for the last several weeks, 
we will have more data with which to make that decision...   i very much understand the
"dont pay him cos his doesnt suck and hes a jet" angle....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

1 catch 1 TD is high production. Cant throw himself the ball.

You wanting to go with a rook and use the $ for sound OL...   that strategy has merit.  

Someone else posted...   16 gamed w/ Sam 8TD, 9XX yds...   

The top Wrs may be gone, depending on where we draft and such....

fwiw, Chrebet had 18 TD in his first 4 yrs, Robby has 18 TD so far...

Robby TD/catch % is %10

Chrebet was also 5’9 and primarily a slot receiver at a time when 3+ WR formations were a helluva lot less prevalent than they are now.

Robby is 6’3 and has been a starting outside receiver on this team for the majority of the last 3 years.

This WR class is even better than the 2014 class.

Even if we’re out of position for Jeudy or Lamb, there are still guys like Tee Higgins, Henry Ruggs, and Laviska Shenault who are all 1st round worthy.

I’d personally re-sign guys like Beachum and Jenkins and then use the bulk of what’s left over to make a hard push for guys like Brandon Scherff and Joe Thuney. Even if you just stick with Harrison at center, that’s a vast improvement to the interior OL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Chrebet was also 5’9 and primarily a slot receiver at a time when 3+ WR formations were a helluva lot less prevalent than they are now.

Robby is 6’3 and has been a starting outside receiver on this team for the majority of the last 3 years.

This WR class is even better than the 2014 class.

Even if we’re out of position for Jeudy or Lamb, there are still guys like Tee Higgins, Henry Ruggs, and Laviska Shenault who are all 1st round worthy.

I’d personally re-sign guys like Beachum and Jenkins and then use the bulk of what’s left over to make a hard push for guys like Brandon Scherff and Joe Thuney. Even if you just stick with Harrison at center, that’s a vast improvement to the interior OL.

I get it. And I know that #80 is a different animal...   FD possession type. But getting TDs is huge. We need TDs.

anyway...  I have said it several times now, I get your perspective, I am not entirely against it...

it's actually one of the more gray area decisions. ejecting, D Lee and Leo were no brainers.

RA is a an UDFA, not like we're looking at paying Leo Williams who was picked #6 overall..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

like i said, i see merit in that strategy...  but it is not w/o risk...   we dont have alot of explosiveness in this offense....

so far...  if the OL can play at the level it has been for the last several weeks, 
we will have more data with which to make that decision...   i very much understand the
"dont pay him cos his doesnt suck and hes a jet" angle....

 

Just depends on cost for me.  Eventually we're going to have to pay Darnold.  Every dollar will count leading up to that point.  Haggling over a "few million" might not seem like much when we're way under the cap.  But if Douglas is worth his salt the cap will become an issue over time.  Bad contracts are how teams get into trouble.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

I get it. And I know that #80 is a different animal...   FD possession type. But getting TDs is huge. We need TDs.

anyway...  I have said it several times now, I get your perspective, I am not entirely against it...

it's actually one of the more gray area decisions. ejecting, D Lee and Leo were no brainers.

RA is a an UDFA, not like we're looking at paying Leo Williams who was picked #6 overall..

 

Robby being an UDFA has zero bearing on what he’ll be asking for on his 2nd contract.

Again, Tyrell Williams (another UDFA) and the Raiders set the benchmark last offseason on what Robby is going to be seeking. Between $11-12 million a year.

I’m not saying that I’m deadset against giving it to him. But it certainly isn’t cut and dry. Especially when we have holes all over the OL and at EDGE, CB, etc with a finite amount of money to work with.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Robby being an UDFA has zero bearing on what he’ll be asking for on his 2nd contract.

Again, Tyrell Williams (another UDFA) and the Raiders set the benchmark last offseason on what Robby is going to be seeking. Between $11-12 million a year.

I’m not saying that I’m deadset against giving it to him. But it certainly isn’t cut and dry. Especially when we have holes all over the OL and at EDGE, CB, etc with a finite amount of money to work with.

Reasonable. I get it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Untouchable said:

He’s probably THE best WR set to hit FA.

What’s his competition? Tajae Sharpe and Demarcus Robinson?

Guys like Cooper, Green and Sanders are almost guaranteed to re-sign with their current teams.

It’s going to take $11-12 million a year to keep Robby.

If he performed like yesterday on at least a semi-consistent basis, I’d have no problem giving it to him.

But it’s a bit of a hard sell for me right now.

Fitz, Emmanuel Sanders and Amari Cooper will all be UFA

 

Robby is not worth $10 mil per.  I’d rather draft a WR and resign Thomas to a one year deal

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robbie read my thread last week and show up to pour the fire out.

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Fitz, Emmanuel Sanders and Amari Cooper will all be UFA

 

Robby is not worth $10 mil per.  I’d rather draft a WR and resign Thomas to a one year deal

There's no guarantee any of those guys actually hit free agency come March. Meanwhile they have Robby in the building all winter, that's a factor. 

There's also no guarantee they draft a top WR in the first or second rounds, we've got an o-line to build, etc, etc. 

Re-upping a young contributing WR with some kind of continuity with SD before delving into the unknown seems like the right move. The going rate for that is gonna be a little north of 10 million, sorry.

And honestly re-signing Anderson shouldn't stop the Jets from doing anything else. Assuming he takes away 10 million they'll have well over 50 million left to work with. This is the kind of move you do when you have a young QB on a cheap deal in need of any kind of aid he can get.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4th WR?  Love him or hate him, he's much better than a 4th WR.  He's at worst a very high end(absolute tip top) 3rd wide out.  At best he's a servicable 2nd WR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not about being a 1,2,3 it’s about filling a role. Robby is a top echelon deep threat, he is an X factor, helps keep the defense honest. You seeing the eagles offense without djax?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you guys are vastly overrating who you are going to find in the draft.  Most are saying we draft a WR in the 3rd or later after picking Oline, but acting like we are going to upgrade from Anderson with a true #1.  Even in the first you are more likely looking at a John Ross or John Brown, rather than A.J. Green or Julio Jones.  That is if you are lucky enough not to end up with Breshad Perriman or Kevin White.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 6:26 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

4th WR?  Love him or hate him, he's much better than a 4th WR.  He's at worst a very high end(absolute tip top) 3rd wide out.  At best he's a servicable 2nd WR.

been calling him a wr2/wr3 hybrid for a while now...

you could be paying a 5'10" 185 lb brandin cooks 16.8 million next year ...who ......

29/434 and 1td so far this year...

\

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 9:16 PM, Tony MaC said:

There's no guarantee any of those guys actually hit free agency come March. Meanwhile they have Robby in the building all winter, that's a factor. 

There's also no guarantee they draft a top WR in the first or second rounds, we've got an o-line to build, etc, etc. 

Re-upping a young contributing WR with some kind of continuity with SD before delving into the unknown seems like the right move. The going rate for that is gonna be a little north of 10 million, sorry.

And honestly re-signing Anderson shouldn't stop the Jets from doing anything else. Assuming he takes away 10 million they'll have well over 50 million left to work with. This is the kind of move you do when you have a young QB on a cheap deal in need of any kind of aid he can get.

I agree and I have changed my mind.

 

The free agent market is so friggin bad at WR we have no choice but to lock up Robby long term 

 

 

Does Robby deserve $50 mil?  Hell no but we have no better options 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...