Gase/Douglas and Darnold

Smashmouth

recall shanny/lynch duo was 10-22 1st 2 years.

cinci competed the last 2 weeks barely losing both...both games...thye were deep in enemy territory late in the game w/ a chance to tie v oak `5 mins, and to go ahead v pitts....`9 mins

boyd the wr is good

team better play hard and well..  rook qb 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

There’s a lot of football left before we’ll know if Gase is the answer. I’ll gladly admit I was completely wrong on Gase (and throw it in the face of every Fin fan I know) and he’s a good coach like SARS and other posters were preaching but it’s way to soon. Rex look like the real deal and failed as well as Mangini and all the other hires. 
Here’s to hoping I was wrong. 

I’ll admit that I was ready to bail on Gase, but only because I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, and that was it appeared that he was making absolutely no adjustments to protect Darnold, having him drop straight back into a pocket that was never there, and allowing Darnold to get wrecked and “see Ghosts” (while Winters and Khalil were most unfortunately on the field, there really has been a huge change for the better with them gone).

The stories of Gase being a master with X’s and O’s appeared to be pure lies, but when thinking deeper that couldn’t be true, the guy must have lots of talent thinking tactically because a guy who never played football at higher than a high school level and then got one of those “only 32 coaching jobs in world” has to have some kind of talent...has to.

Now that Gase has scripted 5 consecutive scoring Opening Drives (should have been 5 TDs, don’t know what Darnold was on yesterdays drive, but the previous 4 he was 25-26 with the 4 TDs (that’s sick) ) I think that is enough evidence that not only are he and Darnold really learning each other and getting on the same page but it’s more proof that Gase has talent to scheme NFL D’s.....something not seen on the Offensive side of Jet football in I don’t know, Decades?

Darnold has played 8 games this year and is 4-4, should be 5-3 (the game he played with mono, and got a 16 zip lead late should have been won), in 4 of those games he has put up the 30+ points I guaranteed would be the “new normal” for Jet football only because Sam Darnold is the NY Jet QB.  Gase gets some credit for that too.

If Douglas is able to upgrade the talent around Darnold, he and Gase are going to be illegal in what they do to the NFL in years to come.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

There’s a lot of football left before we’ll know if Gase is the answer. I’ll gladly admit I was completely wrong on Gase (and throw it in the face of every Fin fan I know) and he’s a good coach like SARS and other posters were preaching but it’s way to soon. Rex look like the real deal and failed as well as Mangini and all the other hires. 

Thank you

We argued a lot over Gase.

Funny, just a short 4 weeks ago I heard one poster after another claiming Gase was going to ruin our sick QB.  Now after looking at his performance on the field, it's obvious our QB mastered the Gase offense to the point where he can dominate games and teams defenses. 

Nothing makes me as happy as when I go to games and don't worry about our QB and how he will play.  Hasn't happened often, Vinny, early Chad, Now this Sam.  

• Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The difference, imo, and why I think it’s the best coaching job since Parcells, is that when Rex and Mangini faced in-season adversity, they never recovered and theIr teams burst into flames. This year’s squad had literally every reason to quit and they didn’t even fracture a little bit—not one guy (other than Trumaine Johnson) let go of the rope. That’s pretty damn impressive when you consider Gase’s reputation as a morale-killing hardo.

His play calling has improved and they’re handling the nightmare of injuries. 

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Let's not forget that its Gase who had Kalil and Winters starting despite (modestly) better replacements lingering on the depth chart. Despite the depth guys looking better in preseason. Despite his franchise QB getting murdered and seeing ghosts. It took them heading to IR to get their replacements in. That's a huge red flag to me. Gives me flashbacks to Bowles ridiculously clinging to underperforming vets. 

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

We are watching Gase and Darnold get comfortable with one another. As much crap they talked early in the year about how wonderful they were together they knew deep down this was going to take time especially since Darnold got sick. You don't just learn a new offense your second year in the NFL during training camp and it took time to weed out the dead wood on the O-line. Now that that's all done you are starting to see results. Anyone who expected this earlier was kidding themselves since the entire process involved when you change the entire structure of the team takes time. Also our Defense right now is playing at an elite level with back -ups at LB and CB and that surely makes you feel good about the depth on the defense moving forward. 

Lets hope Gase and Douglas can pull a Kyle Shanahan (who's first 2 seasons as 49ers HC stunk) and rebuild this team and keep the same system and philosophy here for years to come. They have already begun tearing this team down and the new starters seem to be playing pretty damn good football the past 3 weeks that's very promising and hopefully leads to a competent Draft and free agent period that we have not seen here since the first years of Mangini/Tanny and Parcells prior to that.

Competent Draft. That would be cool Smash. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

I’d be happy with one HOFer, 2 pro bowlers and 4 starters. Is that too much to ask? 

I would like our first rounder to show up and make an impact. Our second rounder play at a serviceable level his rookie season. Third round and beyond? “ Just make the damn team baby.” We can go from there. 

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

We are watching Gase and Darnold get comfortable with one another. As much crap they talked early in the year about how wonderful they were together they knew deep down this was going to take time especially since Darnold got sick. You don't just learn a new offense your second year in the NFL during training camp and it took time to weed out the dead wood on the O-line. Now that that's all done you are starting to see results. Anyone who expected this earlier was kidding themselves since the entire process involved when you change the entire structure of the team takes time. Also our Defense right now is playing at an elite level with back -ups at LB and CB and that surely makes you feel good about the depth on the defense moving forward. 

Lets hope Gase and Douglas can pull a Kyle Shanahan (who's first 2 seasons as 49ers HC stunk) and rebuild this team and keep the same system and philosophy here for years to come. They have already begun tearing this team down and the new starters seem to be playing pretty damn good football the past 3 weeks that's very promising and hopefully leads to a competent Draft and free agent period that we have not seen here since the first years of Mangini/Tanny and Parcells prior to that.

the whole team is coming together.  they still don't have a lot of really good players but as a team they're doing well.  imo the first 8 games was more a case of gase getting used to the team and darnold.  darnold being out didn't help any and neither did all of the oline issues.  but it seems to be getting cleaned up.  the key now is to see who to keep for next season and get lulled into thinking that what they have is good enough.  at this point only a handful of players can be assured a job next season and can be counted on.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I would like our first rounder to show up and make an impact. Our second rounder play at a serviceable level his rookie season. Third round and beyond? “ Just make the damn team baby.” We can go from there. 

At this point, a 3rd rounder who's still in the league by week 3 would be an improvement 

• Upvote 2

Gase has gone a long way to silence many of his critics, myself being one of them, but let's not anoint him the greatest coach of all time just yet.  I like what I've been seeing over the last few weeks and the team seems to be hitting on all cylinders now, which to me is a product of good coaching, but let's see this continue for the rest of the season before we get super comfortable with Gase as the HC of this team. 

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Disgusted by those who bailed on Gase a mere eight weeks into a total rebuild. These men are not real fans and should be cast out of polite society, imo. @dbatesman @Beerfish

giphy.gif

Notice how the offense took off when Darnold marched into Gases office and told him half his plays and play calling sucked and he only wanted to run certain plays?

Gase is a fine coach, as long as the QB tells him what to do.

• Post of the Week 1

I wish you fellas didn't feel compelled to be so absolute all the time... "Either he sucks or he's amazing! Dammit i need a ruling!

I see Douglas's name thrown around and laugh. Guy hasn't even had a chance to cycle through FA and draft yet. 

The only thing i know, and have known for a while is that Darnold has the mustard to go the distance. Lot of variables at play beyond that. 

49 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

giphy.gif

Notice how the offense took off when Darnold marched into Gases office and told him half his plays and play calling sucked and he only wanted to run certain plays?

I actually heard a rumor that it was more extreme. It implied that Sam wasn’t really the super-nice cushy stoner Cali-Bro that he pretends to be but, in fact, he’s a Crip, and the confrontation with Gase actually went something like this: 

im the captain now GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I actually heard a rumor that it was more extreme. It implied that Sam wasn’t actually the super-nice cushy stoner Cali-Bro that he pretends to be but, in fact, he’s actually a Crip, and the confrontation with Gase actually went something like this: 

im the captain now GIF

Sure as hell feels that way the last few weeks. 

58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

giphy.gif

Oh sh*t.  We are going to be one of those "Peyton's... (ergh erase)  Sam's so good he diesnt even need input from the head coach" teams now.  So like the Colts with Dungy or the Packers  when it became obvious they went going to win anothef title with McCarthy.