Gase/Douglas and Darnold

Smashmouth

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

giphy.gif

Notice how the offense took off when Darnold marched into Gases office and told him half his plays and play calling sucked and he only wanted to run certain plays?

Gase is a fine coach, as long as the QB tells him what to do.

And you know this how? Half his plays suck

And of course taking suggestions from your QB and implementing those changes isn’t the sign of a good HC in your world

Or has anything to do with playcalling and any of 100s of other things a HC does.

i can’t imagine finding And posting negatives in every aspect of a team, 24/7 over the course of 20+ years on the internet whether they win or lose.  Do you ever just enjoy the game.  

3 game winning streak starting at 1-7 does not erase 40 yrs of being a Jet fan.

We are all curious. We have all seen the Jets lose games they "should not."

To be wary w/ this team until in instills confidence in the fan base is rather logical.

There are articles criticizing the Begal HC for putting in Finley. Hes way worse that Dalton.

One thing I will say is that I feel sure that Gase will drill it into this team that they can in no way ASSUME

they will win...they were VERY RECENTLY 1-7 and must bust-ass for every win.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

giphy.gif

Notice how the offense took off when Darnold marched into Gases office and told him half his plays and play calling sucked and he only wanted to run certain plays?

Gase is a fine coach, as long as the QB tells him what to do.

Sam: Adam we need run only the good plays.

Adam: But the bad plays I like, I made them myself.

Sam: Not going to say it again, only the good plays.

Adam: Okay, if you insist.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Sam: Adam we need run only the good plays.

Adam: But the bad plays I like, I made them myself.

Sam: Not going to say it again, only the good plays.

Adam: Okay, if you insist.

Cleaned it up a bit in the Twitter version:

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

3 game winning streak starting at 1-7 does not erase 40 yrs of being a Jet fan.

We are all curious. We have all seen the Jets lose games they "should not."

To be wary w/ this team until in instills confidence in the fan base is rather logical.

There are articles criticizing the Begal HC for putting in Finley. Hes way worse that Dalton.

One thing I will say is that I feel sure that Gase will drill it into this team that they can in no way ASSUME

they will win...they were VERY RECENTLY 1-7 and must bust-ass for every win.

Why would you ever expect a handful of games to erase whatever demons you swirling around your head. 

13 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

We are watching Gase and Darnold get comfortable with one another. As much crap they talked early in the year about how wonderful they were together they knew deep down this was going to take time especially since Darnold got sick. You don't just learn a new offense your second year in the NFL during training camp and it took time to weed out the dead wood on the O-line. Now that that's all done you are starting to see results. Anyone who expected this earlier was kidding themselves since the entire process involved when you change the entire structure of the team takes time. Also our Defense right now is playing at an elite level with back -ups at LB and CB and that surely makes you feel good about the depth on the defense moving forward. 

Lets hope Gase and Douglas can pull a Kyle Shanahan (who's first 2 seasons as 49ers HC stunk) and rebuild this team and keep the same system and philosophy here for years to come. They have already begun tearing this team down and the new starters seem to be playing pretty damn good football the past 3 weeks that's very promising and hopefully leads to a competent Draft and free agent period that we have not seen here since the first years of Mangini/Tanny and Parcells prior to that.

ok i get you and even agree to an extent, but it was not outrageous to want/expect earlier progress in the sense of passes past the line of scrimmage etc...its great to see some results now and get some wins. but the big problem was that earlier in the season the team was not prepared and didn't have any game plan to even try to get first downs let alone wins. Two things can be true - all the above but also Gase did a terrible job and even still doesn't take advantage of  Bell as RB, adjust in game or to opponent etc...

I love what we are seeing,  its tremendous... 

Man a good draft next year its hard to believe but should happen, but damn if Im not starting to buy in again...LETS GO JETS!!

13 hours ago, freestater said:

Let's not forget that its Gase who had Kalil and Winters starting despite (modestly) better replacements lingering on the depth chart. Despite the depth guys looking better in preseason. Despite his franchise QB getting murdered and seeing ghosts. It took them heading to IR to get their replacements in. That's a huge red flag to me. Gives me flashbacks to Bowles ridiculously clinging to underperforming vets. 

Gase had to evaluate that in live game situations and after he did he made the moves and sat a 9 mil center and Trumaine was taken out of the game. Can't think for a second Bowles would have had the balls to do that.

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

ok i get you and even agree to an extent, but it was not outrageous to want/expect earlier progress in the sense of passes past the line of scrimmage etc...its great to see some results now and get some wins. but the big problem was that earlier in the season the team was not prepared and didn't have any game plan to even try to get first downs let alone wins. Two things can be true - all the above but also Gase did a terrible job and even still doesn't take advantage of  Bell as RB, adjust in game or to opponent etc...

I love what we are seeing,  its tremendous... 

Man a good draft next year its hard to believe but should happen, but damn if Im not starting to buy in again...LETS GO JETS!!

Did the team look unprepared or were the people playing not executing ?Not too hard to tell since now Darnold is throwing the ball down field with the proper protection. We had to resort to short passes earlier so as not to get the QB killed Osemele Winters and Kalil were downright terrible, they were given the chance to improve and they did not. Remember Bowles playing a center with a broken hand and expecting him to snap the football ? Long got such a bum deal here It was like total madness. Gase made the tough calls and this team is improving due to those calls we were never as bad as the product on the field we just had guys going through the motions and running with the Money Kalil and Osemele .

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, rangerous said:

the whole team is coming together.  they still don't have a lot of really good players but as a team they're doing well.  imo the first 8 games was more a case of gase getting used to the team and darnold.  darnold being out didn't help any and neither did all of the oline issues.  but it seems to be getting cleaned up.  the key now is to see who to keep for next season and get lulled into thinking that what they have is good enough.  at this point only a handful of players can be assured a job next season and can be counted on.

I said this when we first hired Gase .... Its going to take 8 weeks to get this playbook going and I hoped we could squeak out a few wins early on. We really did not and now the team that should be on the field IS ON THE FIELD. It takes time for a new coaching staff to evaluate and respond and so far Gase has done a fantastic job doing just that.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, New York Mick said:

His play calling has improved and they’re handling the nightmare of injuries. 

Play calling always looks better when successful...like when the QB has more than 2 seconds to do something.  All of a sudden the HC is a genius and the QB doesn't suck.

You can call the best game in the world, but if the QB doesn't have a bit of time to execute, it don't matter.

I'm always amazed at football fans that seemingly can pinpoint the exact problem an offense may be having...as if every item, such as the play call, and QB decision making under duress, can be isolated in a black and white manner so fault can be assigned.

Keep a QB upright and not in fear for his life, and everyone looks a world better.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Not falling for a few good weeks. Gase is a bad head coach with a 27-32 W-L record.

WOW.

Ya Know, if it was a few 'good weeks' at the start fo the season, I MIGHT understand this.

But for Gase to put together a 'few good weeks' in his first season here AFTER that disastrous 1-7 start means a LOT to me as a NYJ fan.

At 1-7 and the way things were going, this team had every reason to mail it in...but they're not....by a long shot.

At a lot of positions, you have 2nd or 3rd stringers performing.  If I had posted what our starting lineup last week consisted of at week 12, in preseason, and said we'd be on a 3 game winning streak,  no one would have believed it.

Yet Gase is a bad HC.  Sorry, not seeing that right now.

14 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Play calling always looks better when successful...like when the QB has more than 2 seconds to do something.  All of a sudden the HC is a genius and the QB doesn't suck.

You can call the best game in the world, but if the QB doesn't have a bit of time to execute, it don't matter.

I'm always amazed at football fans that seemingly can pinpoint the exact problem an offense may be having...as if every item, such as the play call, and QB decision making under duress, can be isolated in a black and white manner so fault can be assigned.

Keep a QB upright and not in fear for his life, and everyone looks a world better.

No sh*t

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Losmeister said:

also, who knows they may go back to dalton...  this is a classic nyj soj loss potential

We somehow need to will ourselves through this game to show at one point in our lives we are going in the right direction. They have to forget the record and just go out and dominate enough for 60 minutes to get this win.

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I said this when we first hired Gase .... Its going to take 8 weeks to get this playbook going and I hoped we could squeak out a few wins early on. We really did not and now the team that should be on the field IS ON THE FIELD. It takes time for a new coaching staff to evaluate and respond and so far Gase has done a fantastic job doing just that.

i will say i am hopeful that a lot of this will carry over to next season.  the main issue is how many changes this team will have.  i know it's a business and it's foolish to stand pat except at a few key positions.  they have a really group right now and it looks like they have some good on field leadership with darnold and adams.  and there are other players who have behaved extremely well during the losing streak like bell.  this is so much like 77 when they were rebuilding from the decline of the early 70's and may have been losing games but were playing smart football.

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Gase had to evaluate that in live game situations and after he did he made the moves and sat a 9 mil center and Trumaine was taken out of the game. Can't think for a second Bowles would have had the balls to do that.

I opted to leave Tru out of that comment because I really do believe that it was GW's call to bench him. As far as Kalil & Winters, didnt the change get forced on Gase from injuries? Was there any indication he was going to bench Winters before his shoulder got hurt?

16 minutes ago, freestater said:

I opted to leave Tru out of that comment because I really do believe that it was GW's call to bench him. As far as Kalil & Winters, didnt the change get forced on Gase from injuries? Was there any indication he was going to bench Winters before his shoulder got hurt?

Probably was forced on him but Im not sure how severe those injuries were and Im still not TBH

52 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Probably was forced on him but Im not sure how severe those injuries were and Im still not TBH

And that's the source of my skepticism. Sticking with underperforming vets rather than younger developmental players (who performed well in preseason). Gives me flashbacks to Bowles. 

angry bobs burgers GIF

Jenkins is right!  This also applies to Jets decision makers i.e. current GM, coaches, and primarily front end personnel.

"A lot of people always try to bring up the past, like, 'Oh, in the past, this happened. In the past, that happened,'" linebacker Jordan Jenkins said after Sunday's 34-3 domination of the Oakland Raiders. "You know what? In the past, half this team wasn't here. Everyone likes to make us pay for the sins of the past. We had nothing to do with it. It's a totally different team, a totally different mentality. We have guys who have bought into doing things the right way."

On 11/25/2019 at 11:05 PM, greenwave81 said:

WOW.

Ya Know, if it was a few 'good weeks' at the start fo the season, I MIGHT understand this.

But for Gase to put together a 'few good weeks' in his first season here AFTER that disastrous 1-7 start means a LOT to me as a NYJ fan.

At 1-7 and the way things were going, this team had every reason to mail it in...but they're not....by a long shot.

At a lot of positions, you have 2nd or 3rd stringers performing.  If I had posted what our starting lineup last week consisted of at week 12, in preseason, and said we'd be on a 3 game winning streak,  no one would have believed it.

Yet Gase is a bad HC.  Sorry, not seeing that right now.

You seeing it now?