Most Pleasant Player Surprises so Far?

Sarge4Tide

Pleasant Surprises?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following players has "significantly exceeded" your expectations with their play this season? (check all that apply)

• Sam Darnold QB
    • Ryan Griffin TE
    • Robby Anderson WR
    • Jamison Crowder WR
    • Demaryius Thomas WR
    • Chuma Edoga OL
    • Nathan Shepherd DL
    • Kyle Phillips DL
    • Foley Fatukasi DL
    • Tarell Basham LB
    • Blake Cashman LB
    • Blessaun Austin CB
    • Arthur Maulet CB
    • Marcus Maye S
    • Sam Ficken PK
    • Someone Else

Beachum: did not realize what a stabilizing force a barely league-average LT can make. Makes you excited for what a good offensive line will do to this team

Griffen: does his job, has solid hands, reliable blocker

Austin: has all the physical tools and technique to be a solid starting CB

Hewitt: reliable ILB. Can either play alongside Mosely next year if Williamson doesn't return healthy, or a solid backup.

Sam: I gotta say, he had a stretch of games where even when he played well, he just made some absolutely inane decisions that made you think he would never overcome that. I'm the first to admit the defenses we've played since Miami have been horrendous, but it's been night and day his decision making for the most part. He's thrown the ball away when there were no open receivers, dirted the ball on busted plays. I'll keep saying it, but his decision to throw the ball away on third down after our first TD was overturned was eye-opening. Early season Sam tries to force that ball in somewhere and "get that touchdown back."

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

I think you should have Ty Montgomery on here, for those who thought he wasn't going to make an impact, he far exceeded those expectations. 

Makes plays and is versatile, could become more of a threat with time, think he’s still learning

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, redlichtie said:

I’m not sure anyone got this....either that or I really didn’t get this ?

it was an awkward jab, yes haha. 

Guy has been an after thought. You would have thought was going to be put the offense on his back on JN back in august. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Beachum: stabilizing force

Griffen: does his job, has solid hands, reliable blocker

Austin: has all the physical tools and technique to be a solid starting CB

Hewitt: reliable ILB. 

Sam: I gotta say, he had a stretch of games where even when he played well, he just made some absolutely inane decisions that made you think he would never overcome that. I'm the first to admit the defenses we've played since Miami have been horrendous, but it's been night and day his decision making for the most part. 

great post, imo.

Sam has done EXACTLY what is needed to justify expectations. First step is as you described. next step is to repeat above while increasing the % of risk/reward plays that end up in the reward column. some really nice, NICE throws... add a few more pull it down and run and/or throw away to avoid sacks. 

encouraging stretch by ALL standards. 

7 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Bless Austin - looks like a legit, starting quality CB. A true draft steal.

Ryan Griffin - a cast-off, who was signed very late in pre-season as depth.  What a quality signing he has proven to be.

Nathan Shepherd - we were all writing him off, due to his age and suspension. We were all wrong - he can play.

I'm beginning to think that Sam brings out the best in Ryan.  We might actually have a QB who elevates the players around him for once.   

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

There are quite a few, but Bless Austin has to be at the top of the list.

I thought that was a total throwaway pick by Maccagnan. Doubted if he would ever even suit up for the Jets.

But the kid looks like a legit starting corner.

If he can stay healthy, we should have a quality starting CB making peanuts for the next 3 years.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

There are quite a few, but Bless Austin has to be at the top of the list.

I thought that was a total throwaway pick by Maccagnan. Doubted if he would ever even suit up for the Jets.

But the kid looks like a legit starting corner.

If he can stay healthy, we should have a quality starting CB making peanuts for the next 3 years.

Honestly the Bless Austin thing is so out of the ordinary for the Jets  it almost makes one believe that possibly maybe on the outside chance things might maybe almost be changing for  the best or better but almost kinda certainly for the most part not too worse. 

• Upvote 2

Berrios is going to be a player. As far as Sam and Marcus Maye those guys didn't exceed my expectations they've met them as well as Crowder if anything I thought Crowder would be more impactful. Quietly he's having a good season but he doesn't score a lot of touchdowns. Griffin is a nice surprise because he's like a goofy Gronk lite. Who did exceed my expectations is Jamal Adams...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Honestly the Bless Austin thing is so out of the ordinary for the Jets  it almost makes one believe that possibly maybe on the outside chance things might maybe almost be changing for  the best or better but almost kinda certainly for the most part not too worse. 

It’s about time the Jets found one of these guys.

Outside of Robby, I can’t think of a late round pick or UDFA this team has landed over the last 5+ years that has made an impact.

Unless you count guys like Lac Edwards and Kyle Phillips. But that’s a punter and a rotational DL.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Untouchable said:

Outside of Robby, I can’t think of a late round pick or UDFA this team has landed over the last 5+ years that has made an impact.

Unless you count guys like Lac Edwards and Kyle Phillips. But that’s a punter and a rotational DL.

All that and the “ against all odds” thing/ 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Mlike Devito?

• Upvote 1

On 11/25/2019 at 11:04 AM, Saul Goodman said:

Gotta be Bless Austin. Not being from the NY/NJ area I had no idea who he was, and zero expectations. He looks to be a legit starting-caliber CB. Great build, and fundamentals look sound. What a huge get for the team. 

Hopefully the Jets see this- he is a solution at corner and most  people thought he would not be able to play.

Voted for a couple of guys but the main one for me is Ryan Griffin....never thought of him as someone who can make the type of contributions in the passing game he’s made so  far this year. He’s done the best he can in replacing Herndon’s production. We should have some good 2 TE sets next year with those 2...