What to think about recent success?

WowOhWow

The Jets have a legit chance to get to 6-7, and be on a 5-game winning streak heading to Baltimore.  If you look at the NFL schedule the next two weeks it's not unreasonable to think the Jets could actually be in the hunt for a playoff spot (highly unlikely but a real possibility) if they can get to 9 wins.  Many of the teams ahead of them play each other or play really good teams.

Gotta give great credit to Gase.  Kudos.  The team has really looked good.

But considering the competition we've faced I'm finding it hard to make a judgement on the state of our team.  We're playing better and look like a professional football team.  That in itself is an improvement.

Sam looks great.  The OLine is playing well (and doing a very professional job in lieu of injuries).  The defense is solid.

But is all this a mirage because we're playing crappy teams?

It's not crazy to see a team go from being a laughingstock to getting on a run and having some success and going into the following year with momentum, confidence, etc.  Is that the path we're on?

This team...I can't figure it out.  Would appreciate some viewpoints on this.

Raiders aren't a crappy team.  I don't think they are as good as some "experts" were saying but they aren't a bad team.  Lets be honest we have had a ton bigtime injuries to important players that I know played a role in our early struggles.  Not saying we awere a playoff team but I think we are headed in a brighter directio

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

their success has come from being not constantly behind in D&DST on offense and eliminating penalties.  When they can do that offensively, they can move the ball.  The offensive line is doing a better job communicating which i think is a result of having some continuity for the past few weeks. 

Same can be said for the defense, there have been far fewer moving parts the last few weeks which has allowed for some chemistry finally.  Also playing teams that we can manhandle upfront with 4 guys in the run game has allowed us to have the confidence to play more zone defense.  Right now with the current personnel, Zone fits this secondary way better than man.  The confidence to not have to commit extra defenders to the box to stop the run has allowed Greg to drop more men into coverage filling holes in the zone and limiting big play opportunities for the opposing offense.

Im encouraged by the growth of a lot of these younger players. hopefully we can sign some long term and have excellent experienced depth once we get actual starters back and sign/draft some front line players.   

My expectations are tempered however simply because they havent really been tested lately by a team that can run the ball extremely well.  However the only real test they have remaining on their schedule will be the Ravens who have maybe the best running attack in football.  Thats a game that has the ability to get out of hands for the jets since i dont believe they will be able to stop the ravens rushing attack with simply 4-5 guys committed to the box. they will have to bring extra defenders in, necessitating man coverage, and the ravens have a sneaky good stable of WRs and TE's.  

I think Gase has done a good job of keeping this team focused.  Didnt play favorites like he did in Miami.  Didnt call anyone out any players in the locker room.  (In that respect the "no cameras" locker room speech may have worked.)  I'm not sure this roster is constructed the way he wants bit that will probably change in the offseason.  Yet it's obvious at least for the time being, that players are buying in.

• Upvote 1

Was going to give this its own thread, but instead....

Is it a coincidence or not that:

The Jets pass defense has improved markedly after the departure of Trumaine Johnson, Roberts, and the playing of Bless Austin and Maulet?

Run stopping and pass rush has improved after the departure of the "best player" in the 2015 draft?

The Jets offensive line has improved markedly after the departures of Kalil, Osemele, and Winters?

I think the results are partially this, and partially, playing bad opponents, this good play MUST continue or it is just fools gold. One thing of note, the team could have quit at 1-7 and gone home for the winter. They did not. That speaks a lot about Gase and the CS, as well as the players themselves.

In other news LOL, it looks to me like Sam Darnold is saving Adam Gases fanny. Darnold has played nearly perfect football over the last 3 weeks, and yesterday, may have played his best game as a pro thus far against a pretty good defense. His improvement is tied to improved OL play of course, but I see a marked improvement in his decision making and lack of mistakes, especially after the meeting with Gase. 

Here's to hoping this continues for the rest of the way

• Upvote 1

Gase and this team showed they can handle adversity. Things can’t get too much worse than being 1-7 with a boatload of injuries and Gase taking all the blame since Mac was already canned. The team stuck together and Gase did not have a mental breakdown on live TV. Him and the team have turned things around. This will be a good building block and learning experience for the future, especially if they continue to play well. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

The Jets have a legit chance to get to 6-7, and be on a 5-game winning streak heading to Baltimore.  If you look at the NFL schedule the next two weeks it's not unreasonable to think the Jets could actually be in the hunt for a playoff spot (highly unlikely but a real possibility) if they can get to 9 wins

It’s absolutely unreasonable to think they could be in the playoff hunt.  Even if they win out, and they’re not beating Baltimore, they likely won’t make it.

TEN vs IND puts one of those teams at 7 wins to our 5.  Additionally, the Browns still get the Bengals 2x and the Cardinals.  Bills, even if they lose this week, sit at 8.  9-7 isn’t going to be good enough.  The bills and one other will find 10.

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

It’s absolutely unreasonable to think they could be in the playoff hunt.  Even if they win out, and they’re not beating Baltimore, they likely won’t make it.

TEN vs IND puts one of those teams at 7 wins to our 5.  Additionally, the Browns still get the Bengals 2x and the Cardinals.  Bills, even if they lose this week, sit at 8.  9-7 isn’t going to be good enough.  The bills and one other will find 10.

Sign me up for 7-8 and a chance to knock the Bills out of the playoffs. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

I plugged into the playoff machine default to win for highest win percentage, broke all ties, then set jets to win out. We were out. I changed the Raiders to lose to the Chargers and we were in.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine/_/factor/wins/results/401128058~2~401128063~2~401127997~2~401128020~2~401127933~1~401127946~2~401127973~2~401127896~1

It's unlikely we beat the Ravens but I think we're a bad a matchup for them given our run defense.

note: one of the ties I broke was Titans over Colts. If I go the other way on that we're out again.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

Shhhh.... don't tell anyone facts lol

Truth is it's the facts on Gase that are of the greatest concern.  He doesn't have a great track record to draw on.  The facts on him are bad.

He is every bit of 4-7.  He's not 4-1.  

That said, things are trending better...and hoping it's the beginning of long term success.  Not just beating up on the little sisters of the poor.

I think the offensive line and Sam are the big differences in the past few weeks.  Getting Kalil and Winters out of there, and getting Beachum back, have been huge.  Edoga at LT was a disaster.  It's not perfect now but Sam either has time or is able to scramble out of trouble for the most part.

Also Sam taking more ownership of the offense, telling Gase what he wants to run has also been big.

Defensively, getting Bless Austin in there has brought stability to the CB position, and he's been terrific.  The return of Neville Hewitt has also been big.  Maulet seems to be getting more comfortable too.  Trumaine and Hairston were flat out bad.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

They have to win the next two weeks and keep this good feeling going. 

Losing to the Bengals or getting swept by the Dolphins will be devastating. 

Imagine the good feeling going into the Baltimore game on a five game winning streak?

It'll be a lot of fun....

That really would be so much fun. Not a terrible matchup for the Jets. Not saying they would win but I like the matchup against a team like that better than I like facing KC or the Patriots.

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

Was going to give this its own thread, but instead....

Is it a coincidence or not that:

The Jets pass defense has improved markedly after the departure of Trumaine Johnson, Roberts, and the playing of Bless Austin and Maulet?

Run stopping and pass rush has improved after the departure of the "best player" in the 2015 draft?

The Jets offensive line has improved markedly after the departures of Kalil, Osemele, and Winters?

I think the results are partially this, and partially, playing bad opponents, this good play MUST continue or it is just fools gold. One thing of note, the team could have quit at 1-7 and gone home for the winter. They did not. That speaks a lot about Gase and the CS, as well as the players themselves.

In other news LOL, it looks to me like Sam Darnold is saving Adam Gases fanny. Darnold has played nearly perfect football over the last 3 weeks, and yesterday, may have played his best game as a pro thus far against a pretty good defense. His improvement is tied to improved OL play of course, but I see a marked improvement in his decision making and lack of mistakes, especially after the meeting with Gase. 

Here's to hoping this continues for the rest of the way

I personally don't think that the improvement is just a coincidence. The Jets D got instantly better when Bless was inserted in that game. Same to a lesser sense with Maulet. The OL instantly was better when Winters and Kalil were removed from the equation. Plus, the offense now plays to Darnolds strengths.  Sam is so willing to take coaching that I really believe Gase wanted to turn Sam into Peyton. He was forcing the offense into a Peyton structure and it did not work.  Now Gase is coaching Sam to be a better Sam Darnold and the results are clear. When Sam came out he had terrible ball security in terms of fumbling  he us now among the best in NFL at that. He learned in the last couple weeks to throw I away. Some QBs NEVER learn that.

All that said the emergence of all the young players Bless Phillips Maulet Futakasi Berrios Shepherd Jenkins has shown that our core is much stronger than we imagined.  It was just in all the young players which is a best case scenaruo

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

They have to win the next two weeks and keep this good feeling going. 

Losing to the Bengals or getting swept by the Dolphins will be devastating. 

Imagine the good feeling going into the Baltimore game on a five game winning streak?

It'll be a lot of fun....

The next two games will be another "LITMUS" test for the Jets.  On paper, the Jets should win convincingly over the Bengals and the Dolphins.  Good coaching will keep them focused, working hard and playing as motivated professionals.  Bad coaching will see them float into the clouds and becoming delusional resulting in an ass kicking by an inferior team and the entire fan base crashing to earth before the anticipated Ravens game...

Are these the "Same Old Jets"

We shall see... 

I think it's promising. The media onslaught towards Gase never caught any serious steam as the team has obviously not quit. Getting Trumaine Johnson out of the locker room was a huge positive. Kalil also should have never been signed. Darnold looks like he's seriously improving and gaining confidence. The team is well coached compared to the Bowles years. More aggressive, better awareness, better tackling and are tough. If Douglas is any good I think this whole thing has the chance to work.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

It's not likely but not completely unreasonable.if we win out we will have tiebreakers against Oakland and Pittsburgh. Not sure if you looked but Buffalo's schedule is brutal the last 5 games. If Dallas gets their head out of their added, they could easily lose out. I could see a scenario where one of the North teams gets a wildcard and the Jets and Bills play for the 2nd. Remember 2009? We were almost mathematically eliminated but that year like most years the wildcard teams all tend to gravitate towards 8-8 because scheduling is unbalanced. Also the NFC us killing the AFC this year which removes tons of wins from the AFC. An 8 and 8 team might even make it this year

Jets have played some not so great teams but without actually working for the Jets it looks like game planning has been much better....calls have been more tailored to the QBs strengths....good production from 3rd and 4th stringers on D......Most important OL doesn’t look like a complete trainwreck anymore....getting Beachum back is huge. Losing Kalil and Winters is addition by subtraction 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I plugged into the playoff machine default to win for highest win percentage, broke all ties, then set jets to win out. We were out. I changed the Raiders to lose to the Chargers and we were in.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine/_/factor/wins/results/401128058~2~401128063~2~401127997~2~401128020~2~401127933~1~401127946~2~401127973~2~401127896~1

It's unlikely we beat the Ravens but I think we're a bad a matchup for them given our run defense.

note: one of the ties I broke was Titans over Colts. If I go the other way on that we're out again.

Yeah, it’s not impossible, we would just need a ton of breaks, and to beat one of the hottest teams in football.  It ain’t happening.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Adam Gase is 4-1 in games where he has his starting QB and OLT. The one loss was to the Bills where they had a 16 point lead in the fourth quarter. 

The lost because they couldn't keep scoring like good offenses do. Sure D could have done better and Sam was sick but I think the D scored half the points if memory serves.