Peter King tours new Los Angeles stadium for Rams & Chargers

How cool does this stadium look?  It will have a roof but there will still be an open area so the team will experience the weather of that day.  There will also be an "oculus scoreboard" that will be the first 2-sided video scoreboard that has ever been constructed (110 yards long, 60 yards wide, 4 stories on the East and West and 2 1/2 stories on the North and South).

Meanwhile, we spent $1.5B on an air conditioner.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How cool does this stadium look?  It will have a roof but there will still be an open area so the team will experience the weather of that day.  There will also be an "oculus scoreboard" that will be the first 2-sided video scoreboard that has ever been constructed (110 yards long, 60 yards wide, 4 stories on the East and West and 2 1/2 stories on the North and South).

but but we share a monolith with the jints & it cost over a billion dollars to build. 

5 minutes ago, jetsons said:

but but we share a monolith with the jints & it cost over a billion dollars to build. 

The funny thing it is in NJ.  I can understand getting riped off in NYC like the simple and dull new Yankee Stadium with all the regulation and quid pro quo politicians but getting rip off in a swamp in the middle of nowhere in Jersey, that is crazy.  The irony, the west side Stadium that was planned for the Jets endorsed by Rudy and Bloomberg and opposed by the crooks city council, sheldon Silver was going to be special.    

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Yeah I will be going there twice next year to see the Jets play as they will play both the Chargers and Rams there. Pretty excited about it. I always go to the games when Jets come, though I think it has been 7 years since the last time they were out this way. I am sure it will be a better experience than Qualcomm stadium has been. I still cant believe the Jets just settled for half of the New Meadowlands stadium., maybe before I die the Jets can get their own stadium.

I will say that based on the attendance for the Chargers in LA right now, it might be like a home game for the Jets/Chargers game in LA.

Saw an article last week saying that while the original price tag for the LA stadium was supposed to be just under 2 billion but in the end could wind up costing as much as $6 Billion!

Found it

Most projects end up costing more than originally expected. The new stadium in L.A. will cost dramatically more than originally expected.

A lengthy new item from Seth Wickersham and Don Van Natta Jr. of ESPN.com explores the dysfunction arising from the return of the Rams and Chargers to Los Angeles, where they will share a stadium built by Rams owner Stan Kroenke. The relationship features plenty of tension and acrimony, with the potentially shattered partnership fueled by one basic reality: The price for constructing the stadium keeps going up, up, up, up, up.

Fewer than five years ago, the Rams believed the stadium would cost $1.86 billion. By late 2015, the number moved to $2.4 billion. Since then, the project has “gone off the rails,” thanks to vendor competition driven by a $14 billion renovation at LAX airport and an unexpectedly expensive infrastructure association with a field that will sit 100 feet below ground level. Heavy rain in 2017 delayed the opening of the stadium by a full year.

By March 2018, the price had moved to $5 billion. Officials with the company building the venue now reportedly refer to it as “our $6 billion stadium.”

Complicating the expense problem is a revenue problem. The Chargers have struggled to sell PSLs, the proceeds of which go directly to defray the costs incurred by Kroenke. The Rams expected $400 million to come from those PSL sales; the actual number will be much lower than that, especially after the Chargers dropped the price for upper-deck PSLs to $100.

So the stadium is costing much more than expected, and the stadium will be bringing in much less money than expected. And the Raiders — the preferred team in L.A., despite any efforts of the Rams and Chargers to change that — will be playing their home games only four hours away, starting next year

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, DRJETS said:

The funny thing it is in NJ.  I can understand getting riped off in NYC like the simple and dull new Yankee Stadium with all the regulation and quid pro quo politicians but getting rip off in a swamp in the middle of nowhere in Jersey, that is crazy

While the actual real estate in Jersey might be a little cheaper, the union issues, regulatory issues, taxes and corruption issues are all just as bad in Jersey as in New York

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, 20andOut said:

While the actual real estate in Jersey might be a little cheaper, the union issues, regulatory issues, taxes and corruption issues are all just as bad in Jersey as in New York

Nothing can be compare to NYC when it comes to corruption.  Even the rats n NYC are different.  The guy in charge of city council, Sheldon Silver who maneuvered to bring down the west side stadium, a few years later was sent packing to prison for corruption and that is rare for a politician to go to prison in NY.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

:rl:

9 hours ago, DRJETS said:

The funny thing it is in NJ.  I can understand getting riped off in NYC like the simple and dull new Yankee Stadium with all the regulation and quid pro quo politicians but getting rip off in a swamp in the middle of nowhere in Jersey, that is crazy.  The irony, the west side Stadium that was planned for the Jets endorsed by Rudy and Bloomberg and opposed by the crooks city council, sheldon Silver was going to be special.    

That West Side Stadium would have been gorgeous. It's unfortunate it got kiboshed. Maybe someday the Jets will go back to Queens and have their own Stadium next to Citi Field.

4 hours ago, 20andOut said:

Saw an article last week saying that while the original price tag for the LA stadium was supposed to be just under 2 billion but in the end could wind up costing as much as $6 Billion!

Found it

Wonder how much money goes into earthquake-proofing this thing...  Figure that must be a huge expense  

4 hours ago, 20andOut said:

Found it

Most projects end up costing more than originally expected. The new stadium in L.A. will cost dramatically more than originally expected.

A lengthy new item from Seth Wickersham and Don Van Natta Jr. of ESPN.com explores the dysfunction arising from the return of the Rams and Chargers to Los Angeles, where they will share a stadium built by Rams owner Stan Kroenke. The relationship features plenty of tension and acrimony, with the potentially shattered partnership fueled by one basic reality: The price for constructing the stadium keeps going up, up, up, up, up.

Fewer than five years ago, the Rams believed the stadium would cost $1.86 billion. By late 2015, the number moved to $2.4 billion. Since then, the project has “gone off the rails,” thanks to vendor competition driven by a $14 billion renovation at LAX airport and an unexpectedly expensive infrastructure association with a field that will sit 100 feet below ground level. Heavy rain in 2017 delayed the opening of the stadium by a full year.

By March 2018, the price had moved to $5 billion. Officials with the company building the venue now reportedly refer to it as “our $6 billion stadium.”

Complicating the expense problem is a revenue problem. The Chargers have struggled to sell PSLs, the proceeds of which go directly to defray the costs incurred by Kroenke. The Rams expected $400 million to come from those PSL sales; the actual number will be much lower than that, especially after the Chargers dropped the price for upper-deck PSLs to $100.

So the stadium is costing much more than expected, and the stadium will be bringing in much less money than expected. And the Raiders — the preferred team in L.A., despite any efforts of the Rams and Chargers to change that — will be playing their home games only four hours away, starting next year

All for a city that couldn’t give two sh*ts about football.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

What a concept to build a stadium that isn't just an aluminum slab in a swamp

True but it just seems to fit the very corporate profile of the Maras and Johnsons. No real vision from either. New Meadowlands is what you get from design by committee, LA Stadium is what you get when a singular vision is at work.

I am not surprised by the overruns some of the features like the Canyons and having the stadium below ground level are pretty challenging  when you think about building it to withstand a significant earthquake.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, jetsons said:

And meanwhile this stadium is $6 Billion And counting to build.  

The outside and all the nonsense that has nothing to do with watching football might look cooler.
Who cares.  Inside the stadium, sitting in your seats, hopefully it’s as nice in LA as it is in NJ

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And meanwhile this stadium is $6 Billion to build.  The outside and all the nonsense that has nothing to do with watching football might look cooler.
Who cares.  Inside the stadium, sitting in your seats, hopefully it’s as nice in LA as it is in NJ

The fact that no one cares about football there is why they're making it a destination.  But, yeah, I don't get the complaints from Jets fans.  Go in, find your seat, watch football.  I just did FedEx field, and it's probably the most boring of the 14 or so stadiums I've been to.  Still, I sat, looked forward, and football was played in front of me.  My only compliant was how close the seats were to one another.  Hard for bigger people.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Their new stadium is OVER BUDGET by over 2 billion, at least.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6281869-report-rams-new-stadium-is-over-budget-by-2-billion

Meanwhile, the Chargers can't sell a ticket, and the Rams needed to win now to sell PSLs, which they aren't doing.   Also, if you are into conspiracy theory at all, that is why the Saints got screwed, and the Rams were in the SB last year.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The fact that no one cares about football there is why they're making it a destination.  But, yeah, I don't get the complaints from Jets fans.  Go in, find your seat, watch football.  I just did FedEx field, and it's probably the most boring of the 14 or so stadiums I've been to.  Still, I sat, looked forward, and football was played in front of me.  My only compliant was how close the seats were to one another.  Hard for bigger people.

Totally agree.  I’ve been to quite a few other stadiums, you sit and watch.  LA fans get bored easily, they’ll appreciate all the nonsense to occupy the down time they have while watching games

12 hours ago, jetsons said:

Yeah but Metlife is a bargain cost wise to what this is paying. I don't need a 5 billion dollar stadium here, the ticket prices would be crazy. Pass.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, DRJETS said:

Nothing can be compare to NYC when it comes to corruption.  Even the rats n NYC are different.  The guy in charge of city council, Sheldon Silver who maneuvered to bring down the west side stadium, a few years later was sent packing to prison for corruption and that is rare for a politician to go to prison in NY.  

The House That Sheldon Silver Blocked

09jets-big.jpg

WestSideStadium.jpg

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah but Metlife is a bargain cost wise to what this is paying. I don't need a 5 billion dollar stadium here, the ticket prices would be crazy. Pass.

This has been my argument, always, as to why people would have hated the WSS.

PSLs and ticket costs would have been meaningfully higher.

Concessions would have been meaningfully higher.

Traffic would have been meaningfully worse.

Parking would have been meaningfully more expensive.

No tailgating.

These all sound like things that would make Jets fans happy.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Doesn't attend games.  Cares what the stadium looks like.

13 hours ago, jetsons said:

Doesn't attend games.  Cares what the stadium looks like.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

8 hours ago, 20andOut said:

Found it

Ha ha ha ha ha!  MetLife's $1.5B is a bargain compared to that thing be it $5B or $6B.

Similar seats to mine in that stadium are $5,000 for PSL (25% more expensive) and $125 per game (16% more expensive).

I love all these Jets fans "WAAAAAA!  I want a stadium in Manhattan!" who then won't spend $45 to see the Jets on a sunny September day via Stubhub.  "I want a PRETTY facade!" and haven't been to MetLife more than twice in a decade.  "I want a dome!" despite seeing what November elements did to the comfy Raiders.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 20andOut said:

+1

It's 7 miles from Times Square and they act like it's in a wheat field in Kansas.

SAR I

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

When you think of joint ventures you think of money. MetLife stadium could have and should have the best in the NFL. 

News Flash:

It is.  Because it's #1 in the AFC #2 in the entire NFL in attendance.  And the fans there are the best.  After all we've been put through since 1970, we have great season ticket holders.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

That West Side Stadium would have been gorgeous. It's unfortunate it got kiboshed. Maybe someday the Jets will go back to Queens and have their own Stadium next to Citi Field.

LOL, they're all coming out of the woodwork now.

West Side Stadium was only going to hold 60,000 people and with all those Japanese and European tourists in town all you part-time Stubhub cheapskates would never have gotten tickets below face value.

And.....no parking and no tailgating.

And....parking in tiny garages like the Broadway district taking an hour to get out of.

And....traffic like you wouldn't believe through Midtown and up the West Side Highway.

And....ticket prices and PSL prices that would have made MetLife's look like bargain shopping.

But, yeah, let's cry for a stadium in the worst place for a stadium in a metropolis of 20 million people.

SAR I