DLJ

Lamar Jackson: MERGED

7 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The anti lamar confederacy needs to make up their minds. Is Lamar a WR instead of a QB, or is he a RB instead of a QB?

The same crew that said Lamar should be a WR because of his athleticism, told us that WR Tanehill should be a QB because of his athleticism and moved Josh Allen up their draft boards because of his athleticism (because it certainly wasn’t due to his QB skills).

Why is athleticism a big plus for a white QB and a negative for a black QB? Rumor has it that Dak prescott is reluctant to run when the opportunity presents itself because of this tired old notion.

Personally, I think people don't articulate their pros and cons properly when it comes to athletic QB's, and I personally think it has less to do with race, but that may be wishful thinking.

To me, the fundamental question is, can a QB be a good QB when they can't run the football as a major part of their game, either because of injury, or opposing defenses shutting it down.

Athleticism is always really good, the ability to run is really good, but IMO if a QB can't throw the ball consistently to beat a decent team when the running game is not there, they are not a good QB for the long term.

Allen is a terribly inaccurate QB. I think if he can't run the ball consistently, he will struggle. Lamar is a more accurate passer than Allen, but I don't know if he will be able to beat a team if he can't run the ball. I feel pretty confident that Allen can't.

With Jackson right now, not only can he run the ball really effectively, so do his backs. They have a nasty run blocking line that is getting huge push off the line. Opposing defenses have to pick their poison, and its making for a fantastic, fun to watch offense.

His style of play has never lend itself to longetivity. It would be fantastic for the league if he can, and it would open up a new style of offense.

When a QB runs the ball, they are one hit away from a big injury, that is not ideal for your QB.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Awesumtenor said:

A Harvard study of every draft eligible QB for the last 25 years shows implicit bias is baked in where white QBs are spoken of in terms of intangibles....leadership, intellect etc and rarely about their athleticism...and black QBs are spoken of almost exclusively in terms of their athleticism and deemed lacking in those intangible qualities white QBs...even god awful ones...are assumed to have. I was listening to Nick Wright's show tuesday night on the way home from work and he was discussing this very thing with Mina Kimes from ESPN.

They said it is so baked in that you can tell whether the scouting report is on a black QB or a white one just by the things complimented and criticized without ever seeing the school or the QB's name...for instance while most college teams play some form of a spread offense you hear constantly as a criticism or concern of black QBs whether they can get the verbiage of calling a play in a huddle right  or take snaps under center and almost never hear the same criticisms or concerns regarding white QBs coming out of the same system. 

That's the thing that gets Paxton Lynch and Christian Hackenberg selected long before Jacoby Brissett or Dak Prescott...

This seems like its political, and Im trying to be a good poster and not engage in political discussion on the forums.....

15 minutes ago, Awesumtenor said:

how is it political? The NFL is not a government agency...

any conversation revolving around race is deemed to be political on this site, and is to be avoided. If I am wrong on that, someone feel free to correct me.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

He was pointing out evidence of bias on the part of the league and the media. If you feel attacked by that it's a you problem.

I feel bad for you, it must suck to go through life so angry at everyone and everything all the time. I hope you at least had a good thanksgiving and some good food with friends and family.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

He was pointing out evidence of bias on the part of the league and the media. If you feel attacked by that it's a you problem.

who said I felt attacked by it? I am always happy to engage in intelligent discussion and learn from other peoples perspectives. I am simply trying to follow the site rules, and I am quite sure that the owner of the site would not want back and forth on race issues or perspectives on race. If the owner wants to give the go ahead, I am happy to have some intelligent convo.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

A little off-topic, but someone on TV (I forget who) pointed out that Lamar Jackson only represents a movement at the QB position if other teams can find more players like Lamar Jackson, and those kinds of players simply don't exist right now. Maybe in ten years if Junior High football coaches stop automatically making their fastest players running backs and WR's, but nobody is going to do that, especially with declining participation rates in youth sports. 

No doubt, there are not a lot of people with Jacksons combo of traits. The other thing that will help is if a player like Jackson has sustained success in the NFL and doesn't get hurt with his style of play. A huge part of his effectiveness right now is his running threat, if he is not as much of a threat to run the ball, his game changes quite a bit. If he can have a long term career and keep doing what he is doing, he can change the QB position for the better for future players.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Again, if you can't tell the difference between airing one's personal views on the subject of race as opposed to discussing the tendency for black quarterbacks to be undervalued in the draft, it's a you problem.

Yeah, its not. Its me following the site rules. If you want to get the owner to chime in, and tell us its ok to have this discussion, I am all for it. Until then, I will continue to follow the rules, and you will continue to be a very hostile person. Good day.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company