DLJ

Lamar Jackson: MERGED

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I’m not into bringing race into it, but i have no other explanation for the Lamar detractors.

Race for some no question. Also though, hes been highly successful and become a talking head darling. People hated on Baker after his rookie year. People have always hated on Brady. Theres still cretins around today who call him a system QB.

Some people like to tear down those that are getting raved about. Just how it works. Particularly when theres a rational to do so.

With Lamar, he has been phenomenal but I think most reasonable people can agree that his play style has a history of not being very sustainable. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

This was happening to Lamar coming out of high school. Only one school recruited him to be a QB, and even there he was asked to try running routes. Way before he became a talking head darling. 

I imagine back then whomever was quoted in the OP wasnt so upset about it. I 100% agree race plays a role but its not the only factor is my point. You dont really hear this stuff about Mahommes, Watson or Dak. Atleast I havent, and if so, not nearly at the volume you do with Lamar.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get the comparisons to the treatment of Josh Allen, but Josh Allen has a cannon.  It's not like he is an RB playing QB.  Jackson also has an arm, but his motion is/was nowhere near as pretty.

Josh Allen gets the same critiscm but is generally regarded as a bad QB who will always be bad. And he is just that.

16 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Fair, but I also think it’s because they are more proven picket passers than LJ. 

I mean that's kind of my point. It's legitimate to wonder whether or not Lamar @ 6'2 and 215 will hold up to getting hit as often as he does. I sure hope he does, at long as he doesn't kick us out of th playoffs one of these years :)

29 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I've seen at least three of the four compared to JaMarcus Russell. Here. Guess what the fourth one's mom looks like.

Ok, so some people are stupid and use skin color to define familial resemblence at QB because it's a historic outlier. People do it with white receivers too. Russel has nothing to do with any of these guys near as I can tell. Not exactly a Jamarcus expert but I seem to remember him being more like Ryan Leaf than Deshaun Watson

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

Two years ago after Peyton was gone and Luck always injured and we were left with an aging Brady, Brees, Ben and Rodgers, the NFL looked dead to me. However, between LJ, Deshaun, Mahomes and Russell as well as potentially Sam, Baker & Kyler, the league is set up to get ratings and be fun for a long time going forward. If Minshew can pick it up, I'd throw him in there as well purely from an excitement standpoint. Tua and Lawrence should be fun for two more teams as well. As always, health will be the primary concern from corporate's perspective.  

100% The amount of talented young QB's is exciting. I also have always liked attacking offense so I'm all for the rule changes to make it easier as well.

7 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

because if you call a guy who's built like a running back a quarterback it has an effect on his ability to take hits. 

Lamar has 2 inches and -10 lbs on most RB's, no? He doesn't look like a RB to me, built more like a WR than a RB imo. Even still, RB's don't last very long to begin with and don't have to worry as much about a busted shoulder/elbow ruining thier career.

In any event, I'm out as this is getting stupid. I don't know that he'll get hurt and I hope he stays healthy as he's fun to watch but I do think it's reasonable to assume that in aggregate the more you run the ball and get tackled by 225lb+ players, the more likely it is you'll get hurt and/or weardown

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company