Renfrow suffers broken rib / punctured lung

jetsons

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11/25/report-raiders-hunter-renfrow-has-broken-rib-punctured-lung/

Raiders’ Hunter Renfrow out indefinitely with rib injury

Coach Jon Gruden fears an extended absence for Hunter Renfrow, who reportedly broke rib, punctured lung vs. Jets

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
BNG-L-RAIDERS-8.jpg?w=498
Getty Images
 Raiders wide receiver Hunter Renfrow (13) was injured during Sunday’s 34-3 loss to the New York Jets.
By JERRY MCDONALD | jmcdonald@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: November 25, 2019 at 12:47 pm | UPDATED: November 25, 2019 at 9:27 pm
ALAMEDA — Hunter Renfrow, the rookie who has become one of Derek Carr’s most trusted receivers, faces an extended absence with a rib injury sustained against the New York Jets.

Renfrow returned home on the team charter following the 34-3 loss, and coach Jon Gruden delivered the bad news Monday at his weekly press conference

“Hunter Renfrow hurt his rib,” Gruden said. “He’s going to be out for awhile. Big loss for our team.”

According to the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, Renfrow had a broken rib and punctured lung. Gruden did not get get into specifics.

“I’m not going to get into the severity because I really don’t know,” Gruden said. “We’re looking at his ribs. As soon as I get the official, exact determination I’ll let you know.”

Posting on his Twitter account, Renfrow indicated his absence would be “a few weeks.”

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. I hate more than anything I can’t help this team for the next few weeks but God dosent make mistakes! He will use this injury for his glory no matter what! I’ll be back better #RaiderNation

— Hunter Renfrow (@renfrowhunter) November 26, 2019

Renfrow went down on a third-and-2 play, an incomplete pass from Carr in which he was hit by Jets’ cornerback Bless Austin. He spent time gathering himself on his hands and knees while being attended to by the Raiders’ training staff.

The sixth-round draft pick out of Clemson returned to the game, finished with two receptions for 31 yards and took a second hit from the Jets’ Henry Anderson. Renfrow was slow to rise and in some discomfort, but told reporters afterward he had merely had the wind knocked out of him.

Jets rookie CB Bless Austin broke Hunter Renfrow’s rib & punctured his lung on this play. Clean, hard hit. https://t.co/fJ786ktLyg pic.twitter.com/VAO0CZjR7D

— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) November 25, 2019

Renfrow is the Raiders second-leading receiver behind tight end Darren Waller with 36 receptions, and his 396 yards receiving trails only Waller (707) and Tyrell Williams (32 receptions, 480 yards). With 53 targets, Renfrow has been the second-most popular receiver for Carr behind Waller.

Wide receiver has been a game of musical chairs for Gruden, offensive coordinator Greg Olson and receivers coach Edgar Bennett since the start of the regular season starting with the release of Antonio Brown heading in to the opener. Three receivers who began in the season with the Raiders are no longer on the 53-man roster. Veterans Ryan Grant and J.J. Nelson were released and Dwayne Harris is on injured reserve.

With superior route running skills and a feel for working inside, Renfrow will be difficult to replace in the slot. Candidates to replace Renfrow include Keelan Doss, the undrafted rookie free agent out of Alameda High and U.C. Davis, and Zay Jones, an in-season acquisition from Buffalo. Gruden said tight ends Waller and Derek Carrier are also in the mix.

Clarification on Hunter Renfrow breaking a rib & puncturing his lung. My understanding is it wasn’t just a result of Bless Austin’s hit. This tackle by Henry Anderson later also contributed.

Regardless, Renfrow is one tough SOB pic.twitter.com/2pKKw3LoJK

— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) November 25, 2019

In-season arrivals Jones and Trevor Davis, who came from Green Bay, have yet to gain traction in terms of being a trusted target for Carr on game day. Despite playing 226 snaps in the past five games, Jones has been targeted only 14 times and has 11 receptions for 88 yards.

Davis, who returns kickoffs and punts, had played only one snap in the three games before getting 17 snaps against the Jets. Two balls were thrown to him but neither was complete.

Gruden conceded there was a possibility Renfrow could be lost for the last five games of the season.

“We’ll see the severity of it. We’ll never put anybody at risk,” Gruden said. “There is a possibility. We just need to make sure he sees the people he needs to see and we make the decision based on medical exams. We’re concerned, disappointed. We’ll miss him.”

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I've never broken a rib, punctured a lung then told my coach "I just got the wind knocked out of me. Send me back in coach".

No wonder why the black hole are such rabid fans, just look at their players. F'ing Insane. 

That's just hardcore. 

Those NFL players are so jazzed up on painkillers that they can’t feel a thing.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Why would he be on painkillers before getting injured?

Anyway, damn

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Exactly. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-abuse-of-painkillers-and-other-drugs-described-in-court-filings/2017/03/09/be1a71d8-035a-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html

One drug in particular is highlighted throughout the lawsuit as a staple for NFL teams. Toradol is available only with a prescription. Though not addictive, it is powerful enough that many countries only administer it in hospitals and only after surgery. The lawsuit claims teams would freely offer it each Sunday to numb existing injuries but also in anticipation of the inevitable aches and pains accrued each Sunday.

Though Matava’s task force recommended that Toradol not be used in anticipation of pain, it cited “unique clinical challenges of the NFL” and stated that each physician should practice medicine “as he or she feels is in the best interest of the patient.”

Toradol continued to be used heavily in the wake of the recommendation. The sealed court filing also cites a 2014 survey that included responses from 27 teams. On average, 26.7 players — more than half the active roster — took at least one dose of Toradol on game day.

According to the sealed court filing, months after the task force issued its recommendations, Matava emailed Yates, the Steelers’ doctor, questioning the team physicians who failed to respond to surveys regarding Toradol usage. “If these guys want to give Toradol because they think it is needed or acceptable, then they should . . . say so. What are they afraid of?” Matava, who did not respond to a request for comment, wrote in the same email that “[c]ontinued use of Toradol in the present climate is not rational.”

But apparently it is still in practice. According to the sealed filing, Yates testified in his deposition that “that even last season, he witnessed players lining up for the ‘T Train’ — Toradol injections before a game.”

------------------------------------------------------------

The NFL teams hand out that sh*t like candy. 

6 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-abuse-of-painkillers-and-other-drugs-described-in-court-filings/2017/03/09/be1a71d8-035a-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html

One drug in particular is highlighted throughout the lawsuit as a staple for NFL teams. Toradol is available only with a prescription. Though not addictive, it is powerful enough that many countries only administer it in hospitals and only after surgery. The lawsuit claims teams would freely offer it each Sunday to numb existing injuries but also in anticipation of the inevitable aches and pains accrued each Sunday.

Though Matava’s task force recommended that Toradol not be used in anticipation of pain, it cited “unique clinical challenges of the NFL” and stated that each physician should practice medicine “as he or she feels is in the best interest of the patient.”

Toradol continued to be used heavily in the wake of the recommendation. The sealed court filing also cites a 2014 survey that included responses from 27 teams. On average, 26.7 players — more than half the active roster — took at least one dose of Toradol on game day.

According to the sealed court filing, months after the task force issued its recommendations, Matava emailed Yates, the Steelers’ doctor, questioning the team physicians who failed to respond to surveys regarding Toradol usage. “If these guys want to give Toradol because they think it is needed or acceptable, then they should . . . say so. What are they afraid of?” Matava, who did not respond to a request for comment, wrote in the same email that “[c]ontinued use of Toradol in the present climate is not rational.”

But apparently it is still in practice. According to the sealed filing, Yates testified in his deposition that “that even last season, he witnessed players lining up for the ‘T Train’ — Toradol injections before a game.”

To be fair, what you just quoted was from a lawsuit, which states abuse of painkillers by the same organization that allowed their star LT to go undiagnosed for 6 years with a cancerous tumor in his head. 

I would like to think that teams may have taken this lawsuit from 2017 into consideration when it comes to recklessly administering painkillers to players. 

Could you have a point? Sure. This is a billion dollar industry, all types of craziness in order to get an edge could be happening. Generally speaking however, this shouldn't be happening, as teams in the past have gotten in trouble for it and the league's commish is barely allowing tackling as part of football today.

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I've never broken a rib, punctured a lung then told my coach "I just got the wind knocked out of me. Send me back in coach".

No wonder why the black hole are such rabid fans, just look at their players. F'ing Insane. 

That's just hardcore. 

I've bruised my ribs and that freaking hurts.  Broken AND punctured lung?  Sheesh!

7 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Ehh, it's a pretty flimsy lawsuit. Toradol is just a high-strength NSAID, it's not some wonder drug that doesn't allow you to feel pain. It's great for musculoskeletal stuff, but I think these guys are overblowing it. I'd be more concerned with their kidneys than them running through a brick wall because of it.