NFL tells Cowboys two tripping penalties were bad calls

Jet Nut

No shlt they were blatantly wrong and contributed big time to the Pats winning the game.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/25/report-nfl-tells-cowboys-two-tripping-penalties-were-bad-calls/

Officials called only seven tripping penalties across the NFL entering Sunday, according to ESPN Statistics and Information. The Cowboys were called for two Sunday.

Only twice previously over the past 10 years had officials penalized a team for tripping twice in the same game, according to ESPN Statistics and Information.

It almost seemed as if someone had alerted officials to watch the Cowboys for tripping.

Troy Aikman disagreed with both calls during the Fox broadcast, and ESPN rules official John Parry tweeted, “Twice in this game the leg came up as part of an off-balanced block. Some tangled legs but no intentional, overt act (leg action) to trip defender.”

The NFL apparently agreed.

The two plays were among those the Cowboys sent to the league for clarification Monday, and the NFL said officials should not have called either, Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.

Coach Jason Garrett would not comment in his press conference Monday.

The calls by referee Scott Novak’s crew proved huge.

The first came in the first quarter when Tyron Smith was penalized for tripping. The 10-yard penalty put the Cowboys in a second-and-23 hole, and three plays later the Patriots blocked a Chris Jones punt. That led to the game’s only touchdown.

The second came just after the two-minute warning in the fourth quarter. On third-and-one, Dak Prescott‘s 3-yard completion to the Dallas 38 was wiped out by a tripping call on center Travis Frederick.

Two incompletions later, the Cowboys turned the ball over on downs, and the Patriots held on for a 13-9 win.

• Upvote 1

https://www.patspulpit.com/2019/11/26/20983088/nfl-week-12-tripping-calls-patriots-cowboys-wrong

The NFL doubles down on it’s own stupidity so often that it’s almost like a different galaxy when the NBA regularly comes out with those Last Two Minutes reports after a game like “ok, this foul call was wrong, we missed one here, and oh, Marcus Smart definitely was flopping.” It’s kind of a Hawaiian pizza combination of satisfying and infuriating, like “well well well, looks like I was right, that call was BS, not like it helps us now though”.

And if you were one of the record number of football fans that tuned in to Sunday’s main-card fight between the New England Patriots and the Dallas Cowboys, there were a couple calls that you almost never see that both boned the Cowboys on two different drives - both for tripping on the ‘Boys offensive line. Left tackle Tyron Smith and center Travis Frederick, who, it should be noted, are both All-Pros, got flagged by the zebras in the first and second half, respectively.

For some context on how bizarre this is, on the Ringer NFL show Monday, Kevin Clark made the point that prior to Sunday, there had only been 7 tripping penalties all season so far. It’s currently week 12. You do the math.

If you’re a Cowboys player, it’s extremely understandable that this would grind your gears!

Defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence, who you might know as “one of the many guys the Cowboys decided to give $100 million to besides Dak Prescott”, had plenty to say about it after the game, too:

“I get tripped up every time, but it’s cool. I ain’t gonna sit here and cry about it. If the refs want to call bulls- - -, let them call bulls- - -,” Lawrence said. “It’s all about what we do. Everybody knows it was no such thing that a foot was thrown out or anybody was tripped.”

So, this is where it gets a bit awkward: barely 24 hours later, the NFL turns around and goes, “Yeah, our bad, those were wrong”. As in, BOTH of these tripping calls shouldn’t have happened. Eeeeeeeeeek.

If we’re being honest, I’d bet that a solid 80% of Patriots fans would admit that both instances were ticky-tack penalties at best and flat-out crazy talk at worst, but it’s hard to overemphasize how extremely rare it is that the NFL actually owns up and admits when something was wrong. And if ESPN, The Athletic’s Jon Machota, and the local Cowboys beat writers are all hearing this, it’s a pretty safe bet that the NFL was fine putting the mea culpa out there for everyone to see. Whether that was the league’s idea or they’re just trying to keep Jerrah happy, who knows.

On the other hand, if the Cowboys are (understandably) mad at the NFL over this, does that mean we’re on the same team now, you know, cause “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” and all that? 

I kid, I kid, but let’s hope the league can get this tripping situation figured out sooner rather than later, otherwise it has serious potential to be this year’s version of pass interference, “making a football move”, leading with the helmet, or the granddaddy of them all, holding. Please, for football’s sake, figure this out. We wait all year for these 17 weeks (or, in New England, 20 weeks). Just get the rules right. That’s all we want.

this is the problem i have with the jets losing a touchdown b/c of reviewed PI that wasn't called on the field.  how does this help the cowboys?  there are no moral victories here.  if one penalty is reviewable or challengable then all of them should be.  an apology won't save anyone's job.  i don't see what the good is of apologizing after the game is over.  everyone knew it was a bs penalty whether the nfl ever admitted it or not.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Six straight penalties against the Jets in crunch time of the Cowboys game.  A mystery PI call that nullified a 3rd and 27.  

I dont feel bad for the Cowboys, F them.  But I hate that the F'n Pats benefit, once again, from blown calls that help their cause and help decide a close game

Dallas Sucks, Patriots Swallow.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

The announcers in one of the games this weekend (maybe last night’s game, I don’t remember) said the Patriots sent in video of them “tripping” and complained or warned the refs prior to the game. I am not sure if it is true or just a rumor but if it is true, I wouldn’t be surprised. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

52 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

"Dear Dallas, we're sorry that you're used to games being rigged in your favor, but not in this instance. Remember, Kraft is above Jones in the pecking order. Things will be back to how you're used to next week"

Exactly, they weren't complaining about 5 straight penalties against the Jets & that 3rd & 27 holding call giving them a 1st down. 

So called chosen ones shouldn't be complaining. 

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Drums said:

The announcers in one of the games this weekend (maybe last night’s game, I don’t remember) said the Patriots sent in video of them “tripping” and complained or warned the refs prior to the game. I am not sure if it is true or just a rumor but if it is true, I wouldn’t be surprised. 

Actually all teams do this at league request before each game. I think it is a dumb policy that leads to corruption.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Drums said:

Every team does this, finds something that they feel the opponent is getting away with and send it off to the league.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

This bush league is so f****** corrupt.

They can apologize all the want, but it doesn't mean sh*t until it stops happening... which it won't.

The blatant bad calls in key game changing situations is why I feel the Jets will never win another SB. The NFL and ref's will not allow it. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Every team does this, finds something that they feel the opponent is getting away with and send it off to the league.  

If this is true, there must be a warehouse somewhere filled with videos sent to the league about the Pats getting away with illegal picks. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

On 11/26/2019 at 9:25 AM, Augustiniak said:

this is the problem i have with the jets losing a touchdown b/c of reviewed PI that wasn't called on the field.  how does this help the cowboys?  there are no moral victories here.  if one penalty is reviewable or challengable then all of them should be.  an apology won't save anyone's job.  i don't see what the good is of apologizing after the game is over.  everyone knew it was a bs penalty whether the nfl ever admitted it or not.

It might have cost Garrett his job... & how many other assistant coaches may have lost their jobs when the HC gets fired?... the NFL NEEDS to FIX This Crap... STAT!!!

• Upvote 1

Blah blah blah

The Pats absolutely have an exorbitant amount of calls go their way, but I’m beyond tired of this drivel.

Bill Belichick is the greatest HC in NFL history. Fact.

Tom Brady, if not the greatest QB in history, is only 2nd to Joe Montana. Fact.

I hate their f*cking guts. But chalking everything up to cheating and/or lucky breaks is just goofy.

They’ve consistently been the most prepared, most fundamentally sound team I’ve ever seen. Not just in the NFL, but in organized team sports period.

Yes, it sucks that the Jets have been dealt the hand of them existing in the same division as them...but it is what it is.

As much as everyone is sucking off teams like the Ravens and the 49ers at this point...would it really surprise you in the least if Belichick and the supposedly “over the hill” Tom Brady once again walk off the field with their hands held high come February?

Really?

Wish it out of existence all you want. I’d still put my money on them at the end of the day.

• Thumb Down 1

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

If we’re being honest, I’d bet that a solid 80% of Patriots fans would admit that both instances were ticky-tack penalties at best and flat-out crazy talk at worst, but it’s hard to overemphasize how extremely rare it is that the NFL actually owns up and admits when something was wrong.

Pats fans will never admit anything to that nature! They will deny till the day they die. I was watching the game and I guess the second one late in the game really cost the Cowboys big time. It wasn't even close to tripping. I didn't even see a leg extended. These refs should be looked at. Check their bank accounts - nah Patriots are too smart for that. They pay cash.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Blah blah blah
The Pats absolutely have an exorbitant amount of calls go their way, but I’m beyond tired of this drivel.
Bill Belichick is the greatest HC in NFL history. Fact.
Tom Brady, if not the greatest QB in history, is only 2nd to Joe Montana. Fact.
I hate their f*cking guts. But chalking everything up to cheating and/or lucky breaks is just goofy.
They’ve consistently been the most prepared, most fundamentally sound team I’ve ever seen. Not just in the NFL, but in organized team sports period.
Yes, it sucks that the Jets have been dealt the hand of them existing in the same division as them...but it is what it is.
As much as everyone is sucking off teams like the Ravens and the 49ers at this point...would it really surprise you in the least if Belichick and the supposedly “over the hill” Tom Brady once again walk off the field with their hands held high come February?
Really?
Wish it out of existence all you want. I’d still put my money on them at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1