Monday Night Football: the once great NFL show is now the worst on television

Apache 51

fwiw, i often watch games w/o sound....  HAD TO when I was a kid watching the tail end of MNF in my bedroom.

And when the sound is on I only sorta half listen...   unless its some detail about an injury, something that happened

on one of the different camera angles... I DGAF whatthe hell these dudes are saying.

I cant imagine that Collinsworth is better than anybody....  

I can remember when MNF was something to look forward to no matter who was playing. The commentators are terrible, have been for years, it used to be entertaining at the very least. Keep it simple stupid. Less is more. I guess todays audience can't figure things out for themselves or need to be fed bs to keep their attention?

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

“America, listen to me now: stop allowing tight ends to block premier pass-rushers one-on-one.” - Booger is right on this one

I think the point was that the "America, listen to me now" was kind of stupid, we all know this to be true

• Upvote 2

Off the top of my head, people that sucked doing MNF included, but were not limited to:  Meredith, Cosell, Gruden, Dennis Miller, Dierdorf, McFarland. 

This is nothing new.  The issue is that there are games on 4 time periods on Sunday, Thursday night, some will be on Saturday down the stretch.  We used to just get our local game and MNF.  We are oversaturated and all the complaints about the product - weird rules, bad officiating, etc. remain

59 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Call me crazy but I like Booger.

You're crazy.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

The problem with Booger and most NFL commentators and "analysts" for that matter is that they have become so hyperbolic that every single play, penalty, touchdown, etc... is "the greatest thing ever."  Just give me straight up play-by-play and some good in-game insight when appropriate and I'm good.  All of these clowns nowadays want to become the story instead of just reporting the story.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

MNF was an event when I was growing up. It was a treat if the Jets were on. Always curious to see and hear what Cosell might say. We would get together with friends and order pizza at halftime. What you see now is glorified trash.

One of the first things that I looked when schedules were published is if the Jets got a Monday night date. Now I dread it if they do.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Thursday, Sunday night and Saturday night games later in season scrubbed the shine off of MNF

it used to be an event, now it's just another night - bad hosts/commentator are everywhere (NFL network is terrible)

ex-players and game show hosts are not the answer

To be fair, didn't MNF always try to make the announcing team part of the story?  Cosell basically invented that.  Three guys in the booth!  If two are good, three must be better!  Dennis Miller?  I mean he is snarky doing the news on SNL.  He'll be perfect! 

I think that hanging on to it being an event is part of what is killing it.  Just show the game.  It's nationally televised, enough wacky sh*t happens that it is still often an event.  Like the Garrett - Rudolph thing last week.  

I think overall the announcers on all the networks have gone tremendously downhill not just MNF ( with some exceptions ala Romo) They talk incessant gibberish without giving real insight to what is going on down on the field. Bring back the likes of Curt Gowdy Don Criqui Marty Glickman and we wouldn’t be having this discussion cause these guys were true professionals 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, I attribute this to the fact that 15-years-ago, I watched Monday Night Football with two 40z duct-taped to our hands, and could roll out of bed at 11am.  Now I have a two kids, a career, and want to be asleep by 11pm.  But, yeah, lets say it was the announcers that changed.

Now your kids bring you the 40's so you don't need the duct tape?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, I attribute this to the fact that 15-years-ago, I watched Monday Night Football with two 40z duct-taped to our hands, and could roll out of bed at 11am.  Now I have a two kids, a career, and want to be asleep by 11pm.  But, yeah, lets say it was the announcers that changed.

I am retired, have my 2 kids in college and I still cant make it through the games.

• Upvote 1