Monday Night Football: the once great NFL show is now the worst on television

Apache 51

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

“America, listen to me now: stop allowing tight ends to block premier pass-rushers one-on-one.” - Booger is right on this one

Yes but of course the way he delivered even a GOOD point was in the most bizarre manner imaginable.  As if America needed to do something about this.  

Captain America's Booger.  

• Upvote 1

MNF use to be unique - it was the only game in primetime which used that to showcase the NFL to a large audience - now you have Sunday/Thursday as well so the market is saturated.  Also given the fact that NFL popularity is starting to dwindle this is what you get

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

To be fair, didn't MNF always try to make the announcing team part of the story?  Cosell basically invented that.  Three guys in the booth!  If two are good, three must be better!  Dennis Miller?  I mean he is snarky doing the news on SNL.  He'll be perfect! 

At least some of those guys could tell a story.  This duo cannot.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Rex Ryan and Rob Gronkowski in the booth Monday Night Football. 

C’mon man. Rex would have his wife in the booth with Gronk snorting lines of coke off her toes and sucking on them. But it would be more entertaining than Booger and Mike in a strange way, I guess.  
Is Gronk just a goof ball or is he always packing an 8 ball? He definitely has coke eyes.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I wouldn’t even know where to get a 40oz.  I do make a pretty solid margarita from scratch though.

I think we used to get them at Hy Tulip.  If you bought a hot dog they wouldn't card you.  I can't drink margaritas because my friend made such good ones at the club.  Later I found out it was because he was using 100$ sipping tequila, some fancy French salt and squeezing fresh limes, Oh well, we weren't paying.

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

To you, 56 is old. To me, it is a fresh start.

How do you make your margaritas in this brave new world? 

4 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

And then there’s the graphics department, which was subject to a John Oliver scolding a little over a year ago. Things haven’t improved. The network had to update its graphics bar mid-game during its debut broadcast of the season because the new down-and-distance box was bright yellow, causing viewers to think a penalty was being called on every play. Think about that: meetings took place over that decision. People had coffee and sandwiches and showed PowerPoints and shook hands and high-fived.

All the meetings happened in South Dakota though

• WTF? 1

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

To be fair, didn't MNF always try to make the announcing team part of the story?  Cosell basically invented that.  Three guys in the booth!  If two are good, three must be better!  Dennis Miller?  I mean he is snarky doing the news on SNL.  He'll be perfect! 

I think that hanging on to it being an event is part of what is killing it.  Just show the game.  It's nationally televised, enough wacky sh*t happens that it is still often an event.  Like the Garrett - Rudolph thing last week.  

True, although I think the hosts back then added some value; insightful commentary (not just off the cuff goofy stuff ) trying to explain the rules and play formations (ex-coaches) also they knew when to talk and when to just shut up and let the game be the show

takes skill but it can be done, heck the announcer on Gold Rush make those clowns seem interesting LOL

Good points regarding the commentary.  I don't think it is all that bad, but there have been better crews calling the games in the past. 

For me, the thing that sort of messes up Monday Night Football is Thursday Night Football.  A football game on Monday night was a special event.  With the Thursday night game, it takes the "special" out of the Monday Night Games for me...

The players don't like the Thursday night games and they detract from the "special" that Monday Night should be.  They should sh*t-can those Thursday night games.  If the league wants more money and more football, they should add expansion teams, not more weekday games or an 18 game season.  

Add four AFC teams and four NFC teams.  All in markets that have the audience and $$$ for a team. 

I think it is time for New Jersey to have a team.  Hmm... What would be a good name for a NJ team ???  One that reflects the culture and attitude of the Garden State.

How about the "New Jersey Meat Heads".

49 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

True, although I think the hosts back then added some value; insightful commentary (not just off the cuff goofy stuff ) trying to explain the rules and play formations (ex-coaches) also they knew when to talk and when to just shut up and let the game be the show

takes skill but it can be done, heck the announcer on Gold Rush make those clowns seem interesting LOL

Yeah.  Part of the problem is that we are so much more knowledgeable now.  In the past we needed the ex-coach to explain what was going on, or read it in the paper the next day.  Now we have so much information available, people understand way more about the game. Hell, some of you guys are seeing sh*t online about the plays before the announcers can spit out what happened.  In an effort to add something they go overboard and let the clown show commence.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, JetPotato said:

This is totally unfair, IMO.

The NFL sucks on Sunday and Thursday too.

It's only going to get worse if that's possible. For a young kid it's all he will know. I went to my nephews HS football practices. OMG what a shock. Lotta Hanging, no banging. The days of playing on dirt and glass are long long gone. The days of staying in bounds and taking a hit have been long gone. It's shake the hand of the opponent and cash your check.

23 hours ago, Losmeister said:

fwiw, i often watch games w/o sound....  HAD TO when I was a kid watching the tail end of MNF in my bedroom.

And when the sound is on I only sorta half listen...   unless its some detail about an injury, something that happened

on one of the different camera angles... I DGAF whatthe hell these dudes are saying.

I cant imagine that Collinsworth is better than anybody....  

If you have a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup on your TV try setting the center speaker to the lowest setting and maxing out the front/rear/sub. You get the in game sounds - crowd and field mics - and can barley hear the moronic announcers. I've gone so far as to physically disconnect the center speaker.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Dennis Miller was trying to be too funny in the beginning but he started to work himself into the flow toward the end. I was surprised that didn’t stay with that group another season as it was getting better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot about him. He is a funny guy. He disappeared.

On 11/26/2019 at 10:36 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Off the top of my head, people that sucked doing MNF included, but were not limited to:  Meredith, Cosell, Gruden, Dennis Miller, Dierdorf, McFarland. 

This is nothing new.  The issue is that there are games on 4 time periods on Sunday, Thursday night, some will be on Saturday down the stretch.  We used to just get our local game and MNF.  We are oversaturated and all the complaints about the product - weird rules, bad officiating, etc. remain

You're crazy.  

Cosell made the show a must listen.  Made the show,like him or not.  Agree with the rest.

There were others who sucked.  OJ, Theisman, Kornheiser & Fouts come to mind

I don't see the issues with Booger the article points out to be anything but a unique trait that MNF is trying to implement as was the case with Cosell or Madden. , etc.  He's a 'color' analyst which was the term used used way back to place a label on fanatic among his co-workers in the booth that blurted out unplanned  hyperbole.

I can think of worse: Dennis Miller.

22 hours ago, peebag said:

MNF use to be unique - it was the only game in primetime which used that to showcase the NFL to a large audience - now you have Sunday/Thursday as well so the market is saturated.  Also given the fact that NFL popularity is starting to dwindle this is what you get

Sunday has replaced Monday as the big game.  Viewership on MNF has dwindled while the viewers have gone to other games and nights.  Fact is NFL popularity hasn’t really dwindled