Sam Darnold is a “special” QB

Sunday  was the first time I watched Sam, sat near that goal line about 15 rows in. His arm talent jumps out the stadium. That pass he threw to Robby on the flea flicker was an absolute bullet that never got more than 20 feet off the ground. The TD pass to Robby was absolutely ridiculous as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

sam actually has developed a quicker release this year, that throw right there was a rodgers esque all arm torque throw. 

Rodgers has one of the quickest releases in the game, mostly because of how tight and compact his windup is.  Sam can develop this as well with work, his actual release is really good, he just dips the ball a little more on his windup than rodgers which is what makes it slower.  Tighten everything up and forget it, this kids gonna be whipping the ball around out there. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I do really like Baldinger's analysis.

Sometimes showing good, sometimes showing a huge lack of effort, like when he called out Mo.   But he uses the tape, not an opinion to make his point.

He is fair in his takes on stuff

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Sam told his HC he wants to be blitzed up the middle and chuck the ball while being wrapped up by a Raider?

This smells like a "Sam's great, Gase sucks" kinda take.

Well, yeah... Gase's Payton Manning portable offense in a shoe-box was killing Sam and killing the season.  What they are running now is what fits Sam and what will work with a questionable offensive line.  It took Darnold leveling with Gase to move forward.  Want more proof ??? Watch any of the USC games from Darnold's last year there and then watch one of the last three Jet games.  Darnold gave Gase his old USC play book and it has been working.

9 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I think I remember seeing somewhere on this forum that the coaches changed up the blocking scheme for the OL a few games ago. Can anyone confirm or debunk that? I wondering how much of the improved blocking may be due to scheme change, or if it's all simply just the change of personnel.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Sam Darnold is a "special QB"

6 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Actually I think he can play “street” ball with anyone on the planet, and playing, unfortunately his first 2 years, with a garbage roster has necessitated going to his “bag of tricks” and “street” ball, way more often than he’d like.

2 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Yeah...there’s that “Average” Arm again...Hahaha

The "Official" Scare Quotes Thread

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Well, yeah... Gase's Payton Manning portable offense in a shoe-box was killing Sam and killing the season.  What they are running now is what fits Sam and what will work with a questionable offensive line.  It took Darnold leveling with Gase to move forward.  Want more proof ??? Watch any of the USC games from Darnold's last year there and then watch one of the last three Jet games.  Darnold gave Gase his old USC play book and it has been working.

No one changed Gases plays, they eliminated the ones that Sam doesn't like.  An OC has 400 or so plays, Sam picked those that he was comfortable with.  I know it's fun to claim Gases plays sucked and Sam rewrote the playbook

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

And just wait until he gets the time to make all his Reads...

This play was eye popping for sure.  One of those, whoa, this kid is something else moments.  There other when you knew he was in the zone was when he had the easy 1st with his legs but instead dropped that dime to Anderson over the middle.  My gawd.  So good. 

Kid's got some special to him.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

sam actually has developed a quicker release this year, that throw right there was a rodgers esque all arm torque throw. 

Rodgers has one of the quickest releases in the game, mostly because of how tight and compact his windup is.  Sam can develop this as well with work, his actual release is really good, he just dips the ball a little more on his windup than rodgers which is what makes it slower.  Tighten everything up and forget it, this kids gonna be whipping the ball around out there. 

For anyone who forgot, Darnold was getting dinged quite a bit from Scouts pre-Draft, and actually rightly so (I saw many of his college games), for his “elongated” release, and how that would be a definite problem playing at the highest level (see Leftwich,Byron)....., you saw it last year, the Kid was able to TOTALLY change his throwing mechanics, basically Overnight.....Amazing!!  Not many people can do that..Ever (because of muscle memory).

Kid went from an “elongated” release to one maybe quicker than Dan Marino (per Brian Baldinger) hahaha...unbelievable.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

No one changed Gases plays, they eliminated the ones that Sam doesn't like.  An OC has 400 or so plays, Sam picked those that he was comfortable with.  I know it's fun to claim Gases plays sucked and Sam rewrote the playbook

Right.  And Gase had to be prompted to do what should have been a matter of course for a legit HC/OC.  They also started doing a lot more man blocking up front as well.  That would suggest more measures were taken rather than Gase picking a few play cards out of his shoe-box and throwing them away

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Sams not flashy but he’s got all the throws in his  repertoire. The NFL likes to talk about Jackson and Mahomes. Let them. 

9-2, 66.9% Completions, 220.6 YPG/2,427 Yards, 24 TD's, 5 INT's, 111.4 QB Rating, 876 Yards Rushing and 6 Rushing TD's. 

6-3, 65.6% Completions, 312.0 YPG/2,808 Yards, 19 TD's, 2 INT's, 110.0 QB Rating, #1 in NFL in YPA. 141 Yards Rushing.

And of course....

4-4, 63.9% Completions, 239.4 YPG/1,915 Yards, 13 TD's, 10 INT's, 86.3 QB Rating.  38 Yards Rushing and 2 Rushing TD's.

Also:  Had Mono.  Also, his team started 1-7.

Why on earth, do you think, would anyone talk more about those first two than that third one? :-k

I get that Jets Fans are encased in a permanent bitter inferiority complex combined with the world worst case of angry little-man syndrome, but come on man. 

Of course they're going to talk about two MVP & Super Bowl candidates more than a guy who had Mono and whose team was out of contention by week 8.

Maybe, when Sam starts to really produce i.e. lives up to all the hype and praise and love he gets here, they'll start talking more about him, too.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1