Sam Darnold is a “special” QB

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yeah, I was honestly having a laugh because, as a stat guy, I like to think I know stats and what they mean, but I've never known what the NFL means when they say it.  Because it really can be seen to mean two distinctly different things, and you take credit away no matter which way to go, but it can't really mean both things at the same time, lol.

I too tend to lean towards the end of the season record, but it's fair to note that that definition would "diminish" a great win by Sam and the team vs. the Raiders if they collapse.  

I think it can be interpreted fairly either way because people use it both ways all the time. 

More important than the current records, those are both very talented football teams we beat. Those are wins we should feel good about.

14 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

I think it can be interpreted fairly either way because people use it both ways all the time. 

More important than the current records, those are both very talented football teams we beat. Those are wins we should feel good about.

Yeah, I agree, especially with the bolded bit.  The Cowboys may finish sub-.500, as may the Raiders, I would say both are "good wins" we should feel good about.  If the Giants (lol) were to suddenly be great and finish 9-7 or something, that should also feel good.

It was more my own uncertainty as to what people mean, because I hear in other debates (Cousins is a good one) about "beating winning teams" and in those cases it's often one very strict definition (final season record).  So yeah, more just a funny aside/curiosity for me on that one. :) 

6 hours ago, Maxman said:
9 hours ago, Losmeister said:

you basically said you cannot be too homer but you can be too critical... in which case you can be banned

ffs, max

Except that isn't what I said. At all.

Good post though. Except it wasn't lol.

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

We don't need this to be a homer site, that was never our goal. But people have become so critical of certain things. Years ago PatsFanTx was banned for less than what some Jets fans write about the team.

No you did't say it at all??  That is EXACTLY what you said.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'm not putting out an opinion, I'm asking a question.

When you say "beat a winning team", what do you do you (or anyone else) mean?  Does everyone else mean that too?  I'm not taking a position, I'm asking a question, because application of the "beat a winning team" seems to vary depending on the writer.

Let's use an example:  Say the JEts beat Buffalo week 1.  Buffalo was 0-0, not a "winning team" at that moment, but they go on to finish 10-6, clearly a winning team, right?

Now, Sam beat the Raiders too, who at the time were what, 6-4?  A winning team, clearly.  But they go on to finish 7-9, not a winning team.

When discussing "beating winning teams" in the offseason, how many winning teams did Sam beat above?  One?  Two? 

Like I said, I think people aren't consistent on this, and I wonder how the NFL (when they report on it) are using that phrase to mean.  This has nothing to do with Sam, and everything to do with "what does this stat actually mean".  So save the lame old Fitz pics, please.

E348F74C-47B2-49B5-B63B-865F19549AF4.jpeg.af8bdf42dceebdea2739c11207e54469.jpeg

• Thumb Down 1

Prescott threw for twice as many yards, first downs, and touchdowns as Darnold did against the same defense while the offensive line that's ostensibly carrying Prescott allowed the same number of sacks as the one that's supposedly holding Darnold back. How's that for normalizing variables?

Darnold was clearly sick week 1. He said he wasn’t himself, and he’s a pretty honest kid.

I would sink into deeep depression, if the Jets Sam for Dak. Dak is wak

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

17 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Using the logic you used to say Sam is better then Dak because the Jets beat the Cowboys, I guess you think Fitz, Allen, and Minshew are all better QBs then Darnold. Normalized enough for you?

The logic is when looking at that game Darnold was clearly the better QB in every way.  

54 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hi @funaz stop the over the top nonsense.

Thank you @Big_Slick @Jet_Engine1 @Bruce Harper @Jet Nut for not going over the top in your responses......

It too easy.

Tommy will go away and he's going top have to deal with Sam, Josh and whoever the fish are tanking for.  

Pats? No Tom.  

No Bill

No fans

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'll be smiling from ear to ear when @funazand the rest of the Pats fans go back to their roots and cheer for Danny Jones and the Giants

Watching the Bills on Sunday, it’s easy to believe those fans believe they are the next team in the division.  We need a good draft and FA.  but yes, can’t wait til Brady is done. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Watching the Bills on Sunday, it’s easy to believe those fans believe they are the next team in the division.  We need a good draft and FA.  but yes, can’t wait til Brady is done. 

This is true and frustrating that they reached competence and a strategy about a year and half before we hired JD (hoping he brings that and more). 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Will be great when that day comes.  

On 11/29/2019 at 8:53 AM, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Darnold is not as bad as he played the first two months of the season. He's not as good as he's played the last three weeks against terrible teams with nothing at stake. There is an awful lot of middle ground there. The thing is that every time the team goes a couple of weeks without some kind of major travesty you guys are so over the top ridiculous with the swooning that the contrary view is always going to seem a lot more reasonable by comparison.

Why isn’t he as good as he’s played the last three weeks this season and the last four weeks of last season? Who is to say the mono didn’t affect him this season, and he’s now coming up to full health and picking up where he left off? I think there’s enough evidence to suggest he’s had longer stretches of really good to great play than not. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ryu79 said:

This is true and frustrating that they reached competence and a strategy about a year and half before we hired JD (hoping he brings that and more). 

I’ve said it a few times so please bear with me, but the GM of the Bills worked for me 24 years ago as an intern.   I hired his sister first ... went to her wedding so I got to know him and his family. Smart guy. Mom is a CPA father a brick salesman. Salt of the earth people.   His road through the Panthers was NOT easy. George Siefert did not like him and treated him like crap. After hearing the stories, I imagined 95 percent of men would have quit.  I’m happy for his success. I hope our success Trumps his however. ?

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

saying Sam has already proved he is “special” is at the very least open to debate.

Exactly, which is why I found it necessary to respond to your earlier post (below) completely shutting that down, especially given your previous posts about other “proven” QBs. At the end of the day, Sam is incomplete because he’s shown both special ability as well as special inability. Discussing either or both is valid right now.

On 11/29/2019 at 7:49 PM, 14 in Green said:

No. Absolutely not.

Finished product or not, nothing he has accomplished yet in the NFL so far proves he is special.

Not a single thing, sorry.

One of these QB's is "Special", a legit Franchise QB, a first round pick who has suffered under a horrible O-line with no time and limited O weapons.

One of these QB's is a known draft bust, a first round pick, and suffered under a horrible O-line with no time and limited O weapons.

QB #1

23 Starts to begin career, 9 wins, 14 losses, 465 for 836 (55.6%) for 5,370 Yards (6.4 YPA), 33 TD's, 28 INT's, Sacked 71 times.

QB #2

22 Starts to begin career, 8 wins, 14 losses, 435 for 725 (60.0%) for 5,019 Yards (6.9 YPA), 30 TD's, 25 INT's, Sacked 57 times.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

One of these QB's is "Special", a legit Franchise QB, a first round pick who has suffered under a horrible O-line with no time and limited O weapons.

One of these QB's is a known draft bust, a first round pick, and suffered under a horrible O-line with no time and limited O weapons.

QB #1

23 Starts to begin career, 9 wins, 14 losses, 465 for 836 (55.6%) for 5,370 Yards (6.4 YPA), 33 TD's, 28 INT's, Sacked 71 times.

QB #2

22 Starts to begin career, 8 wins, 14 losses, 435 for 725 (60.0%) for 5,019 Yards (6.9 YPA), 30 TD's, 25 INT's, Sacked 57 times.

Zzzz

• Post of the Week 1