Sam Darnold is a “special” QB

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

And I will say it over and over again, my opinion, if you're up 16-0 into the 4th or the 20-0 we should have scored, you should win.  To lose, even if you don't score another point is squarely on the D.

NOPE!!

3 scores in a quarter is nothing in TODAY'S NFL.

And you have to take into account that it was the first game of the year. So, conditioning is nowhere because guys do not play in games for any substantial time in the preseason. And then there's that the defense had played some absurd number of snaps while the offense did nothing in that first half.

I would have to say that if you lead 16-0 and 8 of those points were scored by the defense and you lose 17-16, it's not on the defense. It's on the offense for not giving the defense any kind of break to be able to be fresh in 4th quarter.

You can't rightly say over and over that the defense lost that game. This wasn't the Bills vs. Oilers. That said, I'm really happy that the OL is playing better, like a real OL. They way they were playing, the team was unwatchable.

• Upvote 1

On 11/27/2019 at 8:12 AM, JiF said:

This post reminds me of when you're battling a "friend" for a job or a promotion or maybe even something as simple as you both have tickets in for a prize you really want at a raffle and you lose and you're pissed off as hell but you play it cool and are all like, I'm not upset, I'm just really happy for you!  But deep down inside, you really dont mean it at all.  You're pissed you lost. 

This is you and Sam Darnold and the day that you're going to want to love him, Sam and all of us will reject your feeble attempts at love. 

good idea yes GIF by Robert E Blackmon

20 minutes ago, Eyes Of Adam said:

image.png.ea9273b067dad4db7364cef971226ef9.png

Prescott threw for twice as many yards, first downs, and touchdowns as Darnold did against the same defense while the offensive line that's ostensibly carrying Prescott allowed the same number of sacks as the one that's supposedly holding Darnold back. How's that for normalizing variables?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Prescott threw for twice as many yards, first downs, and touchdowns as Darnold did against the same defense while the offensive line that's ostensibly carrying Prescott allowed the same number of sacks as the one that's supposedly holding Darnold back. How's that for normalizing variables?

Is having a mono a variable? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

That’s quite the side step from proclaiming Dak Prescott as being an MVP candidate. He wasn’t ever getting a single MVP vote. And his sooper awesum bestest DYAR is completely fraudulent. He’s an average quarterback. 

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

You're trying too hard

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Considering that the case against Darnold basically consists of pointing and saying scoreboard?

Yeah, probably.

You have taken your hatred of Darnold to a level where if the Jets somehow get it together and put a decent team around Darnold, and the Jets succeed, you will be rooting against them.

Strange stance to take if you actually are a Jets fan......

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Dak is 0-3 vs the AFC East.

Yeah, Im not saying Dak is bad, at all. I think hes a decent QB. But its ludicrous to say how bad Darnold is, while touting Dak as some great QB. Look at Dak last year before they got Cooper, he was mediocre at best. The bigger point is, the players surrounding a QB have a big say on their success. Dak has a stacked offense, far, far greater than anything Darnold is working with. If Darnold put up that performance last night against the Bills, with that line, that RB and those WR's, Dak would be in Sanchez territory for most Jets fans, and Im not even saying wrongfully so. It really just goes to show you the few posters who for some odd reason are rooting for Darnold to fail have some weird agenda.

If youre a Jets fan, its far and away the best scenario for Sam to be legit. Not saying he is, but its what any Jets fan should be hoping for.

• Upvote 1

Change thread title to "Sam Darnold could be a Special QB in 2020" and I don't think you'll get more than maybe one or two dissenters.

He is not a special QB today.  He has shown flashes of being a special QB this season, flashes of that kind of elite potential.  He is not a special QB yet, he is not elite yet, and hyperbolic comparisons that have him better, today, than some of the league's elite, MVP-level QB's is simply pre-emptive.

Give the kid time.  He's what, 22? He may well show us he is truly special in time.  There is literally no need to artificially prop him on a pedestal and proclaim him this or that today.  

And let's be very clear:  Every single Jets fan wants Sam Darnold to be special, to be elite, to be great, to be OUR Brady, OUR Manning, OUR whomever you like.  No one, NO ONE, is rooting against it or against him.  Disagreement over how "special" Sam is today is not rooting against Sam.  Again, no one is rooting against Sam Darnold in Jets Fan Nation.    

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Eyes Of Adam said:

It really just goes to show you the few posters who for some odd reason are rooting for Darnold to fail have some weird agenda

Those posters would rather be able to say "see I told you Sam would stink, Ive been saying it all along"

Then to see the jets win.

Same with Gase. People want him to fail for the "I told you so" moment but they hedge their bets with the old "I hope I'm wrong, but I'm probably not" routine.

Textbook lol

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Change thread title to "Sam Darnold could be a Special QB in 2020" and I don't think you'll get more than maybe one or two dissenters.

He is not a special QB today.  He has shown flashes of being a special QB this season, flashes of that kind of elite potential.  He is not a special QB yet, he is not elite yet, and hyperbolic comparisons that have him better, today, than some of the league's elite, MVP-level QB's is simply pre-emptive.

Give the kid time.  He's what, 22? He may well show us he is truly special in time.  There is literally no need to artificially prop him on a pedestal and proclaim him this or that today.  

And let's be very clear:  Every single Jets fan wants Sam Darnold to be special, to be elite, to be great, to be OUR Brady, OUR Manning, OUR whomever you like.  No one, NO ONE, is rooting against it or against him.  Disagreement over how "special" Sam is today is not rooting against Sam.  Again, no one is rooting against Sam Darnold in Jets Fan Nation.    

He has his Joe Montana days and his Geno Smith days, really. So far, he gets an incomplete. The week 1 switch up of the o-line has been disastrous and makes me worry about Gase's decision making process. Next year is Sam's third. As long as the o-line has been shored up, there's no reason he shouldn't make that leap. If he's the guy. 

15 minutes ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

Those posters would rather be able to say "see I told you Sam would stink, Ive been saying it all along"

Then to see the jets win.

Same with Gase. People want him to fail for the "I told you so" moment but they hedge their bets with the old "I hope I'm wrong, but I'm probably not" routine.

Textbook lol

Darnold is not as bad as he played the first two months of the season. He's not as good as he's played the last three weeks against terrible teams with nothing at stake. There is an awful lot of middle ground there. The thing is that every time the team goes a couple of weeks without some kind of major travesty you guys are so over the top ridiculous with the swooning that the contrary view is always going to seem a lot more reasonable by comparison.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Eyes Of Adam said:

I think the first few paragraphs are totally fair. I think any realistic Jets fan has to understand the difference between potential, projecting, and being there now. I do believe that if you give him a decent line, not even great but decent, get him a few more weapons, you can win with Darnold. I'll hold off on the special category for when I see it. NFL QB is one of the hardest jobs on the planet, there are 5 on the planet that are maybe elite at any one point in time, 15 or so that are really good at any one point in time, and 60 or so who can even do it at any one point in time. Based on the number of people on the planet, that is pretty telling.

As for your last paragraph, there are at least a handful of "Jets fans" who are clearly rooting against him. The reason is likely because they have gotten so far out on the he sucks, or never will be good bandwaggon, that they don't want the egg on their face for being wrong. I think most people who put the Jets above their personal feelings and interwebz street cred, are rooting for Sam to be that guy, but there are also some quite vocal posters who are clearly rooting against Sam.

It looks to you like we're rooting against the team. It looks to us like you're bidding up game-used jockstraps on ebay.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Darnold is not as bad as he played the first two months of the season. He's not as good as he's played the last three weeks against terrible teams with nothing at stake. There is an awful lot of middle ground there. The thing is that every time the team goes a couple of weeks without some kind of major travesty you guys are so over the top ridiculous with the swooning that the contrary view is always going to seem a lot more reasonable by comparison.

I agree, no one is as bad as their worst game or as good as their best game. That's why I personally am still in the undecided group. With only 7 real football games with a new coach and new offense it's hard to judge either way. 

I also agree that some posters are over the deep end in both camps. He sucks vs hes the savior.

funny how a fan base can say a black QBs obvious current success is NOT SUSTAINABLE

yet bend over backwards to ignore a cool half dozen absolutley awful games over 2 yrs and claim that

Darnold's style of play is better/preferable/sustainable...

playing horribly in the front end of a season so that your playoff hopes are severely damaged by half season...

(please dont bother reminding me that Sam was LESS avaialable due to injury and our b/u Qbs lost a buncha games)

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4