Sam Darnold is a “special” QB

20 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

funny how a fan base can say a black QBs obvious current success is NOT SUSTAINABLE

yet bend over backwards to ignore a cool half dozen absolutley awful games over 2 yrs and claim that

Darnold's style of play is better/preferable/sustainable...

playing horribly in the front end of a season so that your playoff hopes are severely damaged by half season...

(please dont bother reminding me that Sam was LESS avaialable due to injury and our b/u Qbs lost a buncha games)

If you're implying racism here, I'd like to offer a perfectly reasonable explanation.

It's not racism, it's just the expectation that defensive coordinators eventually catch up to what a QB is doing. They eventually come up with a good game plan designed to neutralize at least somewhat what a player is doing. Not saying completely neutralizing said player, just forcing him to be slightly more predictable.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

If you're implying racism here, I'd like to offer a perfectly reasonable explanation.

It's not racism, it's just the expectation that defensive coordinators eventually catch up to what a QB is doing. ..

Not implying, stating.

Also, I agree..   a good D with a good game plan can often limit and even STIFLE a great player. It happens and has happened.

LJ is playing great...   he may continue to do so and be an NFL great, or not, he may just have a GOOD or very good career... or , I suppose, get injured and never be the same again.

I think a good example of what you are saying would be how Bill B schemed to defeat Peyton Manning.

• Thumb Down 2

43 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

funny how a fan base can say a black QBs obvious current success is NOT SUSTAINABLE

yet bend over backwards to ignore a cool half dozen absolutley awful games over 2 yrs and claim that

Darnold's style of play is better/preferable/sustainable...

playing horribly in the front end of a season so that your playoff hopes are severely damaged by half season...

(please dont bother reminding me that Sam was LESS avaialable due to injury and our b/u Qbs lost a buncha games)

Yeah, its a black thing.  It racism.  

Not that the QB in question is playing a style of QB that has never been sustainable.  By QBs with more talent that this one. And as been proven by his breaking down in last years playoffs.

Keep telling yourself that.  

I'll take a QB, like Darnold, who plays the game the way that trends towards long term success, not wins because of a much better team and by playing a game that right now is foreign to most opponents.  Even if you think that thinking make me a racist

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Not implying, stating.

Also, I agree..   a good D with a good game plan can often limit and even STIFLE a great player. It happens and has happened.

LJ is playing great...   he may continue to do so and be an NFL great, or not, he may just have a GOOD or very good career... or , I suppose, get injured and never be the same again.

I think a good example of what you are saying would be how Bill B schemed to defeat Peyton Manning.

Agreed. And it is a perfectly reasonable explanation as opposed to thinking that someone is doubting a players abilities based on the color of their skin.

2 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Agreed. And it is a perfectly reasonable explanation as opposed to thinking that someone is doubting a players abilities based on the color of their skin.

I guess Josh Allen runs it the PERFECT amount , to reduce his risk....  and no one should worry that he'll get hurt

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Yes, we'll take they ----- guy with the losing record, who throws bunches of INTs and misses 4 games on average... way more sustainable 

so your gambling that the Heisman winners NFL success is a fluke.

How bout we bet on who makes more pro bowls over the next 5 yrs? 

That really depends on what we discussed and how durable Lamar Jackson ultimately turns out to be? He does in FACT take a lot more hits to his body based on his playing style as opposed to a pure pocket QB, Jets atrocious OL notwithstanding.

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

I guess Josh Allen runs it the PERFECT amount , to reduce his risk....  and no one should worry that he'll get hurt

I never said that. Why are you ASSUMING the worst in people? I presented a reasonable explanation, that you agreed with, and now you're trying to make this into something it isn't. I'm not your enemy. I don't even know you. I'm just presenting an alternate theory as to why people think LJ's AND JA's current success will not stand the test of time.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Why are you ASSUMING .

I'm not your enemy. I don't even know you.

I'm just presenting an alternate theory as to why people think LJ's AND JA's current success will not stand the test of time.

the Harvard study is not an ASSUMPTION. The point is how pervasive it is. And we been hearing the same sorta garbage for DECADES.

No, you are not my enemy, nor do I wish to make any while discussing football. We haven't insulted on another so...that doesn;t seem like a possibility. Also, I am not one to go find all your posts and assign them neg reps. 

Anyway...     dont go shopping. Only crazy people do that today. PEACE to you and yours.

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

the Harvard study is not an ASSUMPTION. The point is how pervasive it is. And we been hearing the same sorta garbage for DECADES.

No, you are not my enemy, nor do I wish to make any while discussing football. We haven't insulted on another so...that doesn;t seem like a possibility. Also, I am not one to go find all your posts and assign them neg reps. 

Anyway...     dont go shopping. Only crazy people do that today. PEACE to you and yours.

No. I'm not going shopping, but I still completely disagree with a study from Harvard. Harvard's studies have turned out to be completely wrong time and again, like the students responsible for the study had an agenda. It's also a college. A very TRADITIONAL place to be taught very LEFT WING thinking. I presented FACTS to you that in no way implied racism. Accept it for what it's worth.

• Post of the Week 2

6 hours ago, Losmeister said:

ffs...   

Please explain to me how my theory of defensive coordinators eventually inevitably designing a game plan that had a huge adverse effect on the statistics of said player is not a FACT? It ALWAYS happens. To everyone. Including the very best QB'S THE NFL has ever seen. Don't resort to tiny, snide remarks as a way to deflect my reasonable, and just as much possible, conclusions to your racism theories.

So, in other words, you've completely lost the argument. That's why you're ignoring my post. I always knew your argument was not only illogical, but easily proven WRONG.

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Yes, we'll take they ----- guy with the losing record, who throws bunches of INTs and misses 4 games on average... way more sustainable

1) I agree with you that at least some of the hate LJ gets is due to subconscious (or even conscious) racism. This will get better and better with time. 
2) You keep writing that Darnold missed 4 games. He didn’t. He missed 3. Both this year and last year. The average is 3. Also, it is very likely that he could have played last year. He was probably, at least partially, benched. And this year, his injury was a once in a lifetime viral infection. I’m not sure why anyone would be particularly worried about his durability going forward. 

Meanwhile, JA likes to run and already has suffered a concussion, so worrying about his long term durability makes some sense.

3) I’m a huge Darnold guy, but anyone taking him over LJ right now just isn’t being fair or reasonable. 

• Haha 1

Darnold has 'special' talent - it's up to us now to get the most out of him. 

His draft class, as advertised, had several qbs with a ton of talent. I understand the temptation to rank them each week and assess their progress, but IMHO all need more time for a real assessment - with the exception of LJ, all of these guys (sans Rosen) have flashed and if coached well and complimented with right game plan (as lj and to some extent Allen have been), I think can be franchise qbs - it's about consistency and none of these guys have a sample big enough (one hopes LJ can keep this up as his form recently is remarkable).

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

And let's be very clear:  Every single Jets fan wants Sam Darnold to be special, to be elite, to be great, to be OUR Brady, OUR Manning, OUR whomever you like.  No one, NO ONE, is rooting against it or against him.  Disagreement over how "special" Sam is today is not rooting against Sam.  Again, no one is rooting against Sam Darnold in Jets Fan Nation.    

The fact that so many people here have to be told this over and over is incredibly sad.

What isn’t sad, but is in fact incredibly funny, is when those same people tell us that we “won’t be allowed to root for Sam when he becomes elite.” I actually had someone tell me the other day, they AND Sam wouldn’t allow it.

You can’t make this stuff up.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Y3k said:

Sam Darnold absolutely IS a special QB based on his age/experience/situation. No one is claiming he is a finished product... 

No. Absolutely not.

Finished product or not, nothing he has accomplished yet in the NFL so far proves he is special.

Not a single thing, sorry.

7 hours ago, Y3k said:

Sam Darnold absolutely IS a special QB based on his age/experience/situation. No one is claiming he is a finished product... 

That's true, but some here claim to know for a fact he'll be bad and that mediocre .500 QBs like Dak Prescott who are surrounded by All Pro offensive lines, Amari Cooper, Ezekiel Elliott, etc. are far better. lol

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Prescott threw for twice as many yards, first downs, and touchdowns as Darnold did against the same defense while the offensive line that's ostensibly carrying Prescott allowed the same number of sacks as the one that's supposedly holding Darnold back. How's that for normalizing variables?

Are actually saying that the Jets OL is as good as the OL that Dak gets to play behind?

Or that Dak, who hasn't won a single game this season against a winning team and choked on a nationally televised turkey day game, is a better QB than Sam?

Please remember that Dak lost to the Jets even with the help of multiple phantom penalties. Normalize that.

8 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Race has nothing to do with LJ's long term success. Historically it's his style of play that that will cause him to get injured and not the fact that he's black. People who view the world through a racist prism usually are racist themselves - not accusing you - just a general statement.

And, yes there are some fans that are racist and will blame a players success or failure on their race, both white and black fans are guilty. White men can't jump or black men are mentally handicapped are old stereotypes that are quickly fading away.