Rob123

New Draft Strategy

I'm on record and honestly, watching the Rams the other night only just solidified this new draft strategy for me.  Draft offense, the entire way!  OL, WR's, and RB.  Screw D.  The Rams are absolutely loaded on D and just got absolutely schlacked on MNF for the world to see.  They spent 2 1st rounders on an overrated hot head CB who has been atrocious since joining the Rams meanwhile, the guy they casted off, has 2 pick 6's for his new team.  For as much as people want to argue how much more valuable a CB is to a team than a safety, just look at that debacle for the Rams.  Ramsey is trash, does not produce turnovers and can only stop 1 player at a time while the offense can pick on the other CB's.  They spent 2 1st rounders on him and they havent even paid him yet!  

The entire Jets strategy moving forward should be let's build an all world offense  around Darnold with the intent to be the highest scoring team in the NFL.   The Jets have zero talent on D outside of Jamal Adams and they're a top 10 unit.  I legit wouldnt spend a single resource on D next season until your entire offense is built out and I mean completely built out.  I want teams calling about our 3rd string RB or our 3 string Tackle.  Let's go offense, let's go deep and let's score a sh*t ton of points. 

• Upvote 1

The best thing I've heard from Joe Douglas was when he made a comment regarding pass rushers he said "we're always going to be looking to address the edge" That's very refreshing to hear. 

Throw in the fact that he's an ex-lineman who knows how important the offensive line is, and i'm really excited to see how he approaches the offseason. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Fix the oline first and then go for WRs and ED. Sam isn’t going to be able to beat a good team when he’s on his ass even with Thomas as the number one. They have to fix the oline. He seems to do well with Harrison at OC so concentrate on OT and OG. If you put a stud OG near Harrison he’ll be fine.  

Exactly.  OL and more OL right at this time.

Darnold, and it will get even better when he gains more experience and his game rounds even more into form, appears to be able to elevate virtually ANY receiver’s game, and will be as comfortable throwing to a #1 as he is to an UDFA who they pulled out of a bar, just like Brady.

Would be awesome to hit on a #1 type WR to pair with Darnold, but right now that’s “cart before the horse”...build that OL.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

I'd prefer to pick up a veteran QB as the backup and not spend a draft pick.

We actually need to do both

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm on record and honestly, watching the Rams the other night only just solidified this new draft strategy for me.  Draft offense, the entire way!  OL, WR's, and RB.  Screw D.  The Rams are absolutely loaded on D and just got absolutely schlacked on MNF for the world to see.  They spent 2 1st rounders on an overrated hot head CB who has been atrocious since joining the Rams meanwhile, the guy they casted off, has 2 pick 6's for his new team.  For as much as people want to argue how much more valuable a CB is to a team than a safety, just look at that debacle for the Rams.  Ramsey is trash, does not produce turnovers and can only stop 1 player at a time while the offense can pick on the other CB's.  They spent 2 1st rounders on him and they havent even paid him yet!  

The entire Jets strategy moving forward should be let's build an all world offense  around Darnold with the intent to be the highest scoring team in the NFL.   The Jets have zero talent on D outside of Jamal Adams and they're a top 10 unit.  I legit wouldnt spend a single resource on D next season until your entire offense is built out and I mean completely built out.  I want teams calling about our 3rd string RB or our 3 string Tackle.  Let's go offense, let's go deep and let's score a sh*t ton of points. 

LOL - zero talent on D. Only Adams, Maye, Q. Williams (just a rookie), Mosely and Williamson, Austin looks great, a bunch of young, hungry guys. I agree though - go offense and build a juggernaut. Our D is plenty good enough. Sign a corner in FA.

Just now, Greensleeves said:

LOL - zero talent on D. Only Adams, Maye, Q. Williams (just a rookie), Mosely and Williamson, Austin looks great, a bunch of young, hungry guys. I agree though - go offense and build a juggernaut. Our D is plenty good enough. Sign a corner in FA.

Mosley and Williamson have been hurt all year long.  Q. Will is a ghost.  Maye is ok. Austin has played 2 weeks and yes, has looked very good.  I dont think any of the names mentioned (maybe Maye) are really contributing to what is now a top 10 unit.  So yes, Adams is the only real talent the rest are pretty much Jags but yes, hungry which is a good thing and all the more supports my new drafty strategy of go all in on offense and throw whatever at the D.  At the end of the day, if you're outscoring everyone, you win! 

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Mosley and Williamson have been hurt all year long.  Q. Will is a ghost.  Maye is ok. Austin has played 2 weeks and yes, has looked very good.  I dont think any of the names mentioned (maybe Maye) are really contributing to what is now a top 10 unit.  So yes, Adams is the only real talent the rest are pretty much Jags but yes, hungry which is a good thing and all the more supports my new drafty strategy of go all in on offense and throw whatever at the D.  At the end of the day, if you're outscoring everyone, you win! 

It would be awesome to have an offense that opposing fans look at & see the Jets coming up on their schedule in 2020 & go crap, we have the Jets in NY next week? Hope we can hold them to 27 points. 

You are right about defense but we still need edge & CBs to complete the ad at some point. 

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

This is a great thread - as we definitely will be picking outside the top 10.

The thing about the Oline in this draft is that its reasonably deep, along with WR being crazy deep.  If a player like Lamb is available I dont hate it, but ideally if we are in the 12-16 range Id like to see us move 10 or so spots and pick up a second rounder.  We can then take a WR in the first, and hit center (I love Creed Humphrey) and take an OT like Trey Adams and keep building the Oline with players like that. We can then look at guard and CB in the 3rd and get a good start at rebuilding those positions.

Now, the other thing is that there could be a franchise LT available at 12 depending on how Austin Jackson grades out and if he enters the draft and also if Tristan Wirfs is a LT or not.  Personally I love Jackson as he has a mean streak and elite traits and dont know much about Wirfs - but id also be ok with either of the picks to solidify LT for years and still use our 2nd on Hupmhrey.  

I don't think Jackson is there at 12- I think he is a guy teams may trade up for.  He is the type that if not taken at #10, we will hear about a trade at 11.

I think Humphrey may fall to the second- this is what made me think of a receiver in round 1.

11 hours ago, Rob123 said:

At this point it is safe to say the Jets will likely not be picking in the top 10 and will likely have a mid first round pick. As far as receivers CeeDee Lamb, Henry Ruggs, and Tee Higgens are likely to be the  best on the board when  the Jets  pick with Alex Leatherwood, Jedrick Wills the best for the OL.

Now what do the Jets do?  Should they grab a receiver with their first pick or go with the  OL.  Josh Jones and Creed Humphrey are OL projected to go late in the first round.  Should the Jets hope one of them drops or hope a receiver drops to the second round?  It seems there are more projected receivers in the first round than OL and at this point I am thinking go OL with first pick because the pickings are slimmer and then hope one of the projected first round receiver falls.

This is what I would really like- I see the Jets finishing at  7-9 and not having  a top ten pick.  I say outside of the top ten it is a crap shoot and the difference between a guy drafted in the late first as opposed to the late second is minimal and often decided by the personal preferences of coaches and not talent.  It is not a given a receiver taken at 17 will be better than a guy taken at 40.  If you can't get one of the top 2 guys at a position, you are working with  a very similar talent pool after that.   

In this draft  I would rather see the Jets trade out of the first round and pick up an additional second and third rounder.  I use this scenario because unless someone falls I don't see a team looking to give up picks this year to swap with the Jets if they are at #18. Maybe a team would give a second rounder next year to move up from 24 but the Jets need picks this year.  I don't know they will get a receiver or OL in the middle of the first that would be much better than what is available in the second and third.  That would give the Jets 2 second rounders and 3 third rounders.  I think two additional picks would lead two two players just as good as who they could get with a mid first rounder.  Rather than getting the 4th best OL prospect at pick 18 I would rather get the 5th and 6th best prospects in the second, and the 8th in the third.  Darnold, Adams, Bell, Maye some would say Q Williams are star or going to be star players.  The Jets have their superstar core and now need to surround them with as much talent and depth as possible.  Both Maye and Bell were second round picks- you can find superstars there.  The potential of a mid first rounder vs a second rounder and the depth an extra third rounder would provide would have me making a trade like this.

Really  how great is this- the Jets have a FQB and are set at the position.  They are not going to have a premium pick to worry about screwing up for the first time in a while and Todd Bowles is not the Coach.  This is actually progress but brings with it something different- no guarantee of an impact draft pick or an ability to trade down and still keep a first rounder.  The mid first round picks are harder to hit on than a top 10 pick and they don't carry as much promise.

they may not get the best olineman but should get the second or third best guy.  and he should be able to take over lt from beachum.  imo the larger conundrum is if they did finish with a top 5 draft pick and there should still be some top flight edge rushers and or skill position players available.  if they can't trade down then they could over draft a guy.  that's the worst thing in the world as long as the guy is an impact player at his position.

the bottom line is they need to be thinking oline first no matter where they finish in the draft order.

11 hours ago, Nixhead said:

So your saying we have a FQB. Then protect his ass!  OL, OL, OL, OL, OL! Our first 5 picks!

Any Qb, franchise or not, needs protection. It's won and lost in the pits.

I’m sticking with my old draft strategy: shore up everything you can in free agency so that you can be in position to draft the BAP early. And, as always, BAP is weighted by positional value, moving TE, G, & S down and WR, LT, CB & EDGE up. Darrelle Revis was selected at #14 overall, think this team couldn’t use a Darrelle Revis? 

Also always in favor of moving down for more picks, especially if the BAP is a terrible match for need. But the thing is that when it comes to the Jets, they need help at every critical position on the field except (hopefully) QB. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m sticking with my old draft strategy: shore up everything you can in free agency so that you can be in position to draft the BAP early. And, as always, BAP is weighted by positional value, moving TE, G, & S down and WR, LT, CB & EDGE up. Darrelle Revis was selected at #14 overall, think this team couldn’t use a Darrelle Revis? 

Also always in favor of moving down for more picks, especially if the BAP is a terrible match for need. But the thing is that when it comes to the Jets, they need help at every critical position on the field except (hopefully) QB. 

They just have so many needs.

1st round, either someone who hits the QB (not stops the run), someone who protects the QB, or someone who catches from the QB.

2nd and 3rd, trade down if possible, and more of the same.

IMO it will be one of Sams old boys.    Austin Jackson LT USC  (Don't think he actually played with Sam)

11 hours ago, Rob123 said:

I say outside of the top ten it is a crap shoot and the difference between a guy drafted in the late first as opposed to the late second is minimal and often decided by the personal preferences of coaches and not talent.  It is not a given a receiver taken at 17 will be better than a guy taken at 40.  If you can't get one of the top 2 guys at a position, you are working with  a very similar talent pool after that.

I don't think you are wrong, but I think this sh*t gets minimized way too much.  It is how you get coachable guys that fit your system and not a bunch of pieces that don't fit together.  That is the real reason that the guy at 40 might end up better than the guy at 17. 

I think Mangini was a douchebag control freak.  I think he gets way too much credit for the drafts when he was here, but I think he was pretty good about that stuff.  That is why I believe that team had the nice run. 

Sometimes we wonder.  A guy like Emanuel Hall was an UDFA and probably had as much talent as guys taken in the 1st.  He is on the Tuesday try-out circuit now.  Some of that is probably injury related, but it is a thing.  Going to the past, Hugh Douglas was obviously a talented and successful NFL player.  Parcells came in and immediately felt he didn't fit and moved him.  I complain about it all the time, but for Parcells system, guys like Rick Lyles and Anthony Pleasant were preferable. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

A lot of this depends on FA.  If we get a stud OL in FA or somehow squeeze in two then OL doesnt need to be taken in every round.  Grab one in the 1st if theres someone who deserves the slot, not force one into where we're picking over a WR who does.

I don't think they'll be taking OL in every round anyway. But even two good FA OL pickups will do little more than to be swaps (see all the current starters due to become UFAs after this season as it is). They legitimately need to sign, extend/re-sign, and/or draft a minimum of 4 starter-worthy offensive linemen this offseason. That's a pretty tall order. There's little choice but to sign/re-sign/extend at least 3 veteran FAs because of the hole we've been painted into. 

Since nobody wants to bet our success on Edoga's light turning on, and Winters being unreliable both in terms of health and performance, really the only quasi-reliable OL returning next year is friggin' Harrison since I think those three are the only ones under contract in 2020. 

• Upvote 1

O-Line, O-Line, O-Line.

A top notch O-line can make an average QB, WR, RB look good.

A good QB, WR, RB with a bad O-Line is wasted manpower and high hospital bills...

However, that does not mean you take ANY O-Line prospect because you need O-Line talent.  Ask the Giants about Flowers. 

With respect to the draft, a top tier LT, CB, and EDGE can be REALLY hard to find.  Sure, their are prospects, but those positions see a lot of disappointments.  IMHO, those are positions that you can and should pay big FA money to if a relatively young, healthy and proven player is available. 

In the first round of the draft, you should never reach for a LT.  If there isn't a REALLY good prospect available, don't waste the pick on wishful thinking.  

Offensive guards...  Unless there is a prospect like Quenton Nelson or DeCastro, don't get a guard in round one or two.  If there is one there for the taking, NEVER pass up on it.  That aside, you can get very good, versatile interior lineman in the later rounds providing your scouting is good.

So, yeah... O-Line, O-Line, O-Line, but do it SMARTLY 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No. The other poster had it right, getting a good, not a 'can get by' oline should be priority #1, 2 and 3.

Our 1st and 2nd rounder should be oline unless we get remarkably unlucky.

The car finally has a powerful engine (QB) but we have no tires (oline), people are wanting to get the sun roof before we get tires.

Trade up if we must to get a top LT prospect. Or they better sign one in  free agency. Our OL is bad. Yea we’ve scored some points the last few but it’s vs. lousy competition. The better teams in the league will be tough to beat with this crappy OL.

Tankathon has us taking an edge. Honestly is they get an impact player that’s all that matter regardless of position 

A71CB1B9-225D-4F17-873F-62F3256A3B45.png

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Tankathon has us taking an edge. Honestly is they get an impact player that’s all that matter regardless of position 

A71CB1B9-225D-4F17-873F-62F3256A3B45.png

Take the strong edge prospect if the obvious Left Tackle or Right Tackle is not there.  I want O-Line, but you should never "reach" for an outside offensive lineman no matter how badly it is needed.  The result will be a wasted pick

1 hour ago, slats said:

The farther down their pick is the less I’d want them to trade down unless it’s with a crappy team that will have a high pick next year. 

There’s a chance they’re going to be drafting around 15 which is a good spot to pick any position outside of K/P. They don’t need a QB, TE, S, DL or ILB so that pretty much leaves Oline mostly then WR and ED plus depth. 

They’re in a better spot then I thought. 

Knowing Douglas background I’m 99 percent positive we draft OL with our first two picks.  We do have a very high 3rd rounder from the Williams trade and this draft is pretty deep in WR so a couple are gonna slip most likely into that spot

The priority in the 2020 draft needs to be the OL for the Jets.  The first round pick needs to be the best OL on the board and then either the 2nd or 3rd round pick needs to be another OL.  If Sam is truly the man, he needs to be protected. Look what he can do when he has time.  Imagine having that time on every single play.  

41 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Take the strong edge prospect if the obvious Left Tackle or Right Tackle is not there.  I want O-Line, but you should never "reach" for an outside offensive lineman no matter how badly it is needed.  The result will be a wasted pick

I do agree with that.  I mean I do want the OL to be addressed in the draft BUT I would never reach for a OL over a superior player

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Rob123 said:

Have to get him a receiver.  You have to give him a quality number 1 option because if you don't he won't reach his full potential.  I don't want him to be  Drew Bledsoe.

If Sam has a stout beefcake OL the receivers we have will be fine. I don't disagree that we should get a shiny new WR, but we can grab a Mclaurin in the 3rd. OL OL OL WR.       

DT. ;) 

3 hours ago, slats said:

Let me say this- I think this team would be better off with a Nick Mangold.  Austin is a legit guy and protection and tools for Sam Darnold- IMO- make them a better team then if they draft a Revis type- which also IMO- they are unlikely to find in this draft.

1 hour ago, Rob123 said:

Let me say this- I think this team would be better off with a Nick Mangold.  Austin is a legit guy and protection and tools for Sam Darnold- IMO- make them a better team then if they draft a Revis type- which also IMO- they are unlikely to find in this draft.

That’s fine. I haven’t studied the draft for this year, yet, and it’s gonna change a lot between now and the end of April as far as who should go where and so on, anyway. For me, it’s do what you can in free agency to set yourself up for the BAP at your slot. I agree with the general feeling of, “offense, offense, offense,” but the reality is that the team has needs on both sides of the ball. Someone who can sack the QB or intercept his passes on a regular basis also helps the offense. 

7 hours ago, JiF said:

Disagree with the premise of drafting just offense. While scoring a ton of points is fun I believe that winning football games and championships on a consistent basis a good to very good defense is needed as well. The Chargers “ Air Coryell” teams had a ton of offense as did The Houston Oilers coached by Jack Pardee and Quarterbacked by Warren Moon. Also the Buffalo Bills come to mind as well. Scoring points is great but you need to be able to stop the opponents from scoring as well. Good defense can win games when weather conditions are less than favorable to teams with an juggernaut offensive arsenal. Balance is key 

47 minutes ago, slats said:

That’s fine. I haven’t studied the draft for this year, yet, and it’s gonna change a lot between now and the end of April as far as who should go where and so on, anyway. For me, it’s do what you can in free agency to set yourself up for the BAP at your slot. I agree with the general feeling of, “offense, offense, offense,” but the reality is that the team has needs on both sides of the ball. Someone who can sack the QB or intercept his passes on a regular basis also helps the offense. 

Won't they be very limited as a result of cap issues?  I am not  a cap expert but thought I read certain cuts like Trumaine Johnson will yield cap hits and the guaranteed money given out last year will limit them in the FA market.

They will need a backup QB and I like Joe Flacco if he is available.  I think a veteran QB will help Sam Darnold and provide insurance the Jets didn't have this year.

I will agree on Edge but not on corner.  I think Austin is a major talent and they are stronger than people think.  Too weak on O to address an area where they may be in better shape than most teams.  Yes Revis was great- but  you also had Ray Mickens and Dee Miliner.  I would rather then sign a FA corner or take my chances with with potential cuts like Baker from the NYG.

What if the BPA is a QB- do you really want to use a first round choice on a backup for Darnold or to start an unneeded QB competition.  Q Williams was supposedly the BPA last year and look how that worked out.  The pick should have been traded and if not Josh Allen should have been selected and Leonard Williams resigned.  Considering he and Quinnen Williams are the exact same player and he is 25 years old this would have made the Jets better on defense.  The BPA philosophy is why the Jets  have drafted so badly.

• Thumb Down 1

25 minutes ago, Rob123 said:

Won't they be very limited as a result of cap issues?  I am not  a cap expert but thought I read certain cuts like Trumaine Johnson will yield cap hits and the guaranteed money given out last year will limit them in the FA market.

They will need a backup QB and I like Joe Flacco if he is available.  I think a veteran QB will help Sam Darnold and provide insurance the Jets didn't have this year.

I will agree on Edge but not on corner.  I think Austin is a major talent and they are stronger than people think.  Too weak on O to address an area where they may be in better shape than most teams.  Yes Revis was great- but  you also had Ray Mickens and Dee Miliner.  I would rather then sign a FA corner or take my chances with with potential cuts like Baker from the NYG.

What if the BPA is a QB- do you really want to use a first round choice on a backup for Darnold or to start an unneeded QB competition.  Q Williams was supposedly the BPA last year and look how that worked out.  The pick should have been traded and if not Josh Allen should have been selected and Leonard Williams resigned.  Considering he and Quinnen Williams are the exact same player and he is 25 years old this would have made the Jets better on defense.  The BPA philosophy is why the Jets  have drafted so badly.

As I originally said, I’d weigh BAP by positional value, and I think (hope) that the Jets are good at the QB position. I think where the Jets have screwed up is by not adjusting accordingly. I think Jamal Adams is a fine player, but there exists no universe where he’s a better BAP for the Jets in that moment than Mahommes. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

As I originally said, I’d weigh BAP by positional value, and I think (hope) that the Jets are good at the QB position. I think where the Jets have screwed up is by not adjusting accordingly. I think Jamal Adams is a fine player, but there exists no universe where he’s a better BAP for the Jets in that moment than Mahommes. 

I agree with you but remember- there were some questions on Mahomes.  I remember that draft with all the experts saying "project" as it related to Mahomes. If any football exec tells me they want to pass on a guy because he is a project to develop I will accept that.