2020 draft possibilities- Jets a movin and a shaken

Rob123

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

"At least one organization made multiple offers for New York’s 2019 first-round pick, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. An unnamed team “refusing to take no for an answer” offered a “blockbuster package of picks” for Williams, but the Jets ultimately said no. "

If this is true Mac should be fired

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

"At least one organization made multiple offers for New York’s 2019 first-round pick, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. An unnamed team “refusing to take no for an answer” offered a “blockbuster package of picks” for Williams, but the Jets ultimately said no. "

With all due respect, unless Schefter had JD's phone tapped he's only repeating what someone else told him and it's entirely possible that someone might have had an agenda or outright lied.

4 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

With all due respect, unless Schefter had JD's phone tapped he's only repeating what someone else told him and it's entirely possible that someone might have had an agenda or outright lied.

There are a few guys out there that have more cred than others and make their living from these things schefter is one of them.

8 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I wonder what they offered him. It couldn’t of been too much or he’s an idiot or he see something we don’t. 

'Blockbuster package of picks' and the team kept coming back to the jets indicted they offered a lot.

As others have pointed out it would have a big cap implication for the jets but to me it would be worth it to reset.

5 hours ago, Rob123 said:

People liked the other thread so hopefully they will enjoy this one  as well.

It seems everyone agrees the Jets will likely have a mid first rounder which makes the draft strategy different this year.  What is interesting about mid second rounders is they are incredibly hard to predict because of a number of factors.

One factor happens every year- one team will see something in a player and overvalue him.  One of the nice things about a mid first rounder is that it is less likely that a team with one will do this.  I am certain one team will over draft a player early and that will impact many things including potential trade options.  Last year it was the Giants over valuing Jones that led to a number dominos to fall.  The Bills wanted to trade up for Ed Oliver and discussed it with the Jets, but they wound up with him at 9 because the Giants overvalued Jones.  The Giants took a DT in Lawrence in the first round after Jones so it was a position of need they that was deemed not as large a priority as Jones.  The Bills knew the Giants were taking Jones before the draft and didn't trade up as a result.  The Giants could have likely had Ed Oliver at 6 and Jones at 17 but they overvalued Jones.  This led to the Steelers trading up to 10 to get a guy they really liked but did not think would be available at 10.

There are many good OL prospects in this draft.  I am truly confident the Jets can build a monster line this year in the second and third round based on the players they already have.  I think Harrison, Lewis and Edoga will continue to get better and will be above average players.  Based on Jet needs and this draft it is the year to stockpile as many picks as possible.  This is why the price the Giants paid for Leonard was deemed so high- third rounders this year would be second rounders other years.

Realistically I see the Jets highest pick at number 13 and for some reason my gut says they get the 16th pick.  When a team inevitably overdrafts a guy boards will change.  Haskins fell to 15 last year and if it  happens with one of the QBs this year, I think you would have a team like the Saints, Patriots, Steelers or others seeing an opportunity to get their QB of the future while giving him time to learn.  Look at the Dolphins- if they have to take a D player and then Tua or someone else is their at 16, with their stockpile of picks they might be willing to give up a haul.  This happened last year- QB is a number 1 pick, another at 6 and all of a sudden a projected top 5 pick was there at 15.  Under those circumstances the Jets could conceivably trade down while getting a real haul.  The Steelers were not trading up for a QB and they paid.  If a QB falls it is possible the Jets could trade down in the first and receive a second and third rounder or second and fourth rounder in return.

If you look at this draft you can see this is a very realistic possibility.  If there was ever a team in the position to trade down because a player another team wants has fallen it is the 2020 NYJ.

It sounds great but is is a double edged sword and there is some risk. If they made no trades and kept all the picks they have now they can address all their needs and contend for the playoffs next year.  I truly believe they are not that far away.  There is the concern this won't happen until the draft and it would require the Jets to switch gears rather quickly.  This will be Douglas's first draft and every single gm makes a rookie mistake.  Many NFL executives will say that for a GM's first draft they should just have a plan and stick to it.  The Jets are not known to do this well as an organization.  I don't want a solid draft plan thrown into disarray, especially when I have faith that Douglas and Gase will come up with a good game plan.  The way the roster is constructed now I believe they will be a very good team next year if their needs are addressed with the picks they have. 

My prediction is Douglas's plan will involve stockpiling as many picks as possible. I don't know if people get how good a time it is to be a Jets fan- they have Sam Darnold and an upcoming draft over flowing with players to compliment him. I think Douglas will do his homework on a large group of players and is going to look to obtain as many picks in the second and third round as possible.  It will be interesting to see how he does this because if everything falls right he can trade down, still get the  player he wants in the first while picking up more picks.

never saw or understood the logic in trading away proven players for lottery tickets

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There are a few guys out there that have more cred than others and make their living from these things schefter is one of them.

I agree. Schefter is one of the best but he still has to rely on what GM's and team personnel tell him. Unless he gives a direct quote from Douglas we can not be sure what was offered.

• Upvote 2

Too many just want to see the churn I guess. 
Let's become the team that only lives to draft.  Draft BPA then trade said player eight games in. 
Then hold another fire sale.  This way we can attain as many draft picks as possible.  Break our record from 2000 when we had four first rounders.  
Wouldn't change the W-L record but the draftniks would love the churn.  I mean, we love to analyze draft position and play Jimmy Johnson after the Herschel trade.
Probably make print media relevant again.
Right Manish?

We’d be trading away Macc’s sh*tty picks. It would be awfully difficult to criticize Douglas for moving on from players he didn’t draft. But I guess that’s a silly thought on JN.
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jets723 said:

To be honest we don't know what kind of offers they actually got.  For example The jets wanted 2 first or a first and tw seconds/Martin from the Cowboys and they were only offering a 1st and maybe 3rd.  adams obviously is a better player than Williams at this point so I don't think we were getting huge offers.  Smart thing to do is keep adams and Williams.  We have all our picks and a high 3rd rounder from the giants.  we can plug in holes on the OL and in the secondary the draft along with FA.  Im pretty confident right now!

Agreed and I would add the one area where I think we're over invested is MLB.  Next year Williamson and Mosley come back.  They are both excellent players, but do we need both of them?  We've done really well without them.  

15 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

Too many just want to see the churn I guess. 

Let's become the team that only lives to draft.  Draft BPA then trade said player eight games in. 

Then hold another fire sale.  This way we can attain as many draft picks as possible.  Break our record from 2000 when we had four first rounders.  

Wouldn't change the W-L record but the draftniks would love the churn.  I mean, we love to analyze draft position and play Jimmy Johnson after the Herschel trade.

Probably make print media relevant again.

Right Manish?

And if you disagree they get indignant.  Maybe it's because the Jets have been so bad that the more interesting event is not the season, but the draft.  Personally I want a perennial winner and to get there I feel you need to allow the team grow together not churn their best up and coming players.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

'Blockbuster package of picks' and the team kept coming back to the jets indicted they offered a lot.

The Jets had their draft pick for sale before taking Williams because they didn’t feel the offers gave appropriate value.   No one was buying.

so 8 games later where Quinnen has played some in 5, been injured and performed less than expected, and Schefter says the Jets turned down “ a blockbuster package from a team that wouldn’t take no”?  Doesn’t make sense - I’m smelling bullsh*t especially since Douglas didn’t make the pick and could easily distance himself and justify a trade without admitting a mistake.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

The Jets had their draft pick for sale before taking Williams because they didn’t feel the offers gave appropriate value.   No one was buying.

so 8 games later where Quinnen has played some in 5, been injured and performed less than expected, and Schefter says the Jets turned down “ a blockbuster package from a team that wouldn’t take no”?  Doesn’t make sense - I’m smelling bullsh*t especially since Douglas didn’t make the pick and could easily distance himself and justify a trade without admitting a mistake.

Hey we will never know most likely but a couple of things.  #1 You are talking about mccagnan in your 1st part and we know he was a total dumbass.  #2 a team making the offer may not have had the resources at the time to make an offer.

Schefter is usually pretty credible so I see no reason why anyone would just make something like this up for no reason.

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hey we will never know most likely but a couple of things.  #1 You are talking about mccagnan in your 1st part and we know he was a total dumbass.  #2 a team making the offer may not have had the resources at the time to make an offer.

Schefter is usually pretty credible so I see no reason why anyone would just make something like this up for no reason.

Not saying he made it up but what is a blockbuster package of picks is in the eye of the beholder.  Might have been a 2, 3 and 5 for all we know.   There are salary cap ramifications of trading Quinnen and I doubt we want to give up on a recently drafted player and deal with that without adequate and appropriate compensation.  They’d have to at least get two number 1 picks in the coming draft to consider it based on his draft slot and cap acceleration in my opinion.  A fire sale isn’t happening

Mac made it clear he wanted to trade down so I d doubt he blew off a fair trade

what team has more draft resources now and would spend them on a DT?

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We’d be trading away Macc’s sh*tty picks. It would be awfully difficult to criticize Douglas for moving on from players he didn’t draft. But I guess that’s a silly thought on JN.

Your words suggest your more interested in selling this to the media than building a winning football program.  More silliness on JN I suppose.

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What are you even talking about? Go back to bed.

Your silliness at its best.  Your post is more focused on how Douglas would not get criticized for trading a "Macc sh*tty pick".  Just stop trying to push a narrative that promotes obtaining lottery tickets over player development/production.   Good coaching/leadership can help young players to thrive and I like what GW brings to our team.  8 games into an NFL career is just a little too soon to judge the future of a 21-year old lineman.  Seriously, stop embarrassing yourself.

23 hours ago, Jets723 said:

To be honest we don't know what kind of offers they actually got.  For example The jets wanted 2 first or a first and tw seconds/Martin from the Cowboys and they were only offering a 1st and maybe 3rd.  adams obviously is a better player than Williams at this point so I don't think we were getting huge offers.  Smart thing to do is keep adams and Williams.  We have all our picks and a high 3rd rounder from the giants.  we can plug in holes on the OL and in the secondary the draft along with FA.  Im pretty confident right now!

I don't know about that bro. I'm with you on Adams, he's become the player we hoped when we drafted him. Whether he was worth #6 is moot/irrevelant now.

QW has done nothing, at a position we're getting production out of. You really don't have any laurels to rest your argument on with him other than "potential"... at a position we already have tanglible production. 

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don't know about that bro. I'm with you on Adams, he's become the player we hoped when we drafted him. Whether he was worth #6 is moot/irrevelant now.

QW has done nothing, at a position we're getting production out of. You really don't have any laurels to rest your argument on with him other than "potential"... at a position we already have tanglible. 

Disagree

Your silliness at its best.  Your post is more focused on how Douglas would not get criticized for trading a "Macc sh*tty pick".  Just stop trying to push a narrative that promotes obtaining lottery tickets over player development/production.   Good coaching/leadership can help young players to thrive and I like what GW brings to our team.  8 games into an NFL career is just a little too soon to judge the future of a 21-year old lineman.  Seriously, stop embarrassing yourself.

I wasn’t advocating trading QW. I was explaining that trading players he didn’t draft would make sense if you can get a great deal. Same with Adams. Any player can and should be traded at the right price.

Now go tell me to get off your lawn again.
  • Haha 1

On 11/27/2019 at 3:16 PM, Beerfish said:

Another trade we will seriously regret passing on. 

Im sorry, I understand the argument for not judging a player after half a season but, in my mind, if QW really was the player he was touted to be and expected to be, he would at least he flashing. Look at Josh Allen, who we should have taken. I believed prior to the draft QW would be LW(mistake)2.0 and he has thus far done nothing but prove that theory correct. Actually, I think Leo actually showed more potential his rookie year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

On 11/28/2019 at 7:14 AM, long suffering jets fan said:

Agreed and I would add the one area where I think we're over invested is MLB.  Next year Williamson and Mosley come back.  They are both excellent players, but do we need both of them?  We've done really well without them.  

Jets are cutting Williamson 

Mosely I absolutely want back 

On 11/28/2019 at 4:26 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I wasn’t advocating trading QW. I was explaining that trading players he didn’t draft would make sense if you can get a great deal. Same with Adams. Any player can and should be traded at the right price.

Now go tell me to get off your lawn again.

Jets need to trade both QW and Adams for first round picks