Big Game for Darnold

HawkeyeJet

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

My post says absolutely nothing about winning.  Good post though.  

Currently watching Iowa-Nebraska.   Wirfs looks like an enormous guy - do you think he is a LT in the NFL or will have to stay on the right side?  

Im guessing Alarick Jackson was good enough to stay on the left keeping Wirfs on the right, but in the pro's if Wirfs can move to the left side that would give another potential first round LT for us.

6 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think this week will be a huge glimpse into the growth of Darnold.

Now I understand the winless Bengals shouldn't present the same overall challenge as the Raiders, but I am very interested in how he plays this week, specifically in the ball security area.

Towards the end of last week when Sam was rolling, I'm talking the last few drives, I noticed he  tried fitting in a few throws he probably shouldn't have.  They ended up being incomplete, but in my mind it seemed like "let the b good times roll" types of throws.  It was only 2, so not a huge deal in the grand scheme of last week.

I'm curious as to how Sam's decision making will look this week.  He's playing as good as he ever had, and I imagine his confidence is at an all time high.  Pair that with an inferior opponent, and I could easily see how we could see a few mistakes where he tries to do too much.

If he doesn't fall into that mental trap however and he still values the ball like he has the past few weeks, that would speak volumes for his development in my mind.  At least as far as the decision making goes.

I tend to think about this a little differently. To me a true franchise QB has arrived, one that can rival the best QB's in the league, when they can routinely complete passes into double coverage. That's what today's greats like Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers among others routinely do. That's what separates a QB taking what the defense is giving them from the top echelon. Sam is currently doing a good job of taking what the defense is giving him. Those two passes you speak of are NECESSARY in the learning curve of a QB that wants to rise from better than average into the very best in the game. I love the idea that Sammy is being slightly more DARING on each and every play. The eventual end result could be a QB that's capable of winning it all.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I’m surprised after all these games that every game is a test.

Really?  That's amazing to me, you think there are no more tests, everything that needs proved has been proved?

He lit up the Raiders.

One game.  I'd love to have you as my fan, you'd be the easiest to please guy ever.  One good thing, and forever after I'm good?

Litmus test. Enough with every week is a test.

Every week IS a test, for every player, for their entire career.  That's what competition is, a string of tests.

Doesn’t mean anyone doesn’t want consistency.

Do you tho?  If the Bengals game isn;t a test, and you don;t think there are anymore tests, he's proven now because of the Raiders....what ARE you demanding/asking for then?  If it's not a test, and the play is poor, what then?  Ignore it, right?

I want to go into every game not worrying about the QB just like anyone should.  

Every and any QB can and usually will have a drop off game.  It’s part of tgg HC e game 

Sounds like your hedging your bets to me.  A pre-emptive "hey guys, this isn;t a test because I'm worried he may flunk it, and then bad stuff, so NO TESTS!".

So let me ask:  If Darnold goes 5 for 30 with 4 INT's vs the Bengals, and it "wasn't a test", what does that mean to you in your evealuation of Darnold?  Nothing, you just ignore it?  

This just strikes me as a classic SOJ game. Cold weather on the road, late in the season against a bad team after we’ve finally built up some momentum and hope. The SOJ lose this game and look pathetic. I hope Darnold powers through and dominates. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Currently watching Iowa-Nebraska.   Wirfs looks like an enormous guy - do you think he is a LT in the NFL or will have to stay on the right side?  

Im guessing Alarick Jackson was good enough to stay on the left keeping Wirfs on the right, but in the pro's if Wirfs can move to the left side that would give another potential first round LT for us.

I've included a link where I go into a longer version if you care to read my full thoughts.

Short version is yes, I think Wirfs COULD play LT in NFL.  I think he's the prototype modern RT though and I'd keep him there.  I don't get into this in other post, but I also think LT and RT are equal important in modern football.

Jackson is also a pro starter.  More your true long, pass blocking LT.  That's why he plays there for Iowa, IMO.  Not saying he's necessarily a better pass blocker, just the more traditional "build" 

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Really?  That's amazing to me, you think there are no more tests, everything that needs proved has been proved?

no, but I don’t think game is a test.  What’s the point of keep calling every game a test.  We know about consistency etc. 

One more time it’s not one game. He’s put together a bunch of good games after the two bad.  He ended with 4-5 good games.  Im feeling pretty good about what I’ve seen.  Play enough good games should prove he can do it.  And I just don’t get what playing a great game against Cincinnati does to his great game in his “litmus test” we heard about a week ago.  Or how he had to play great in Wash and thh HC e 4 TDS there.  Or where he had to play well vs the Giants.  

Do you tho?  If the Bengals game isn;t a test, and you don;t think there are anymore tests, he's proven now because of the Raiders....what ARE you demanding/asking for then?  If it's not a test, and the play is poor, what then?  Ignore it, right?

Again, no I don’t think every game is a test.  I’m not someone who doesn’t believe my eyes of what his talent is.  

Sounds like your hedging your bets to me.  A pre-emptive "hey guys, this isn;t a test because I'm worried he may flunk it, and then bad stuff, so NO TESTS!".

LOL, I’m saying I see the talent.  I’m not the one who needs an unlimited number of tests before I maybe come around.  You keep posting that you like what you see, you see talent but won’t commit to his play yet but I’m hedging my bets?  Pretty funny

So let me ask:  If Darnold goes 5 for 30 with 4 INT's vs the Bengals, and it "wasn't a test", what does that mean to you in your evealuation of Darnold?  Nothing, you just ignore it?  

if you think 5-30, 5 picks is a possibility, I have a bridge I have for sale. 
not going to argue that every game is a test. Ravens will be a test.  For the team.  The entire team is playing well and needs to continue their good play.

btw, my man Pete formerly of Jets Chat..   rates Darnold as the #10 for fantasy players this week..

http://rotobahn.com/articles/qb-rankings-week-13-2/

10 Sam Darnold NYJ 6.100 NYJ@CIN 12/01/2019 01:00PM ET He should light them up. The Jets are not that good but they are light years ahead of the Bengals and Darnold is now hot.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This week is going to give me an ulcer. The Bengals suck, but they're not terrible. They lost by 1 point to the Seahawks, by 4 to the Bills, by a measly six in their first meeting with the Ravens, and they just held the Raiders and Steelers under 17 points in back to back weeks. They're primed to get their first win, and with Dalton coming back, this could be a rough game for us. That said, it'd be huge for the stigma around this team if they could get through the next two weeks with wins, and with Darnold looking non-sh*tty. After that, they go to Baltimore on Thursday night where they'll get absolutely walloped, so getting to that game winning two in a row will be crucial from a general aesthetic perspective, 

This.

The Bengals have been competitive with almost every team this side of the Ravens. 

This is a dangerous game and the Jets handling them will show me a lot 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Darnold needs to come out and dominate the no-account Bengals.  That would be a statement.

If Sam flounders or plays poorly, that too would be a statement.

As a Jets Fan, I am programmed to be fearful of this game, meaninglee to 2019 as it is, because SOJ.

But I think Sam can and will beat the Bengals handily.

Sorry, but no. NO.

The same way you chide others (correctly so) for making positive pronouncements of a short range view, it should be true here.

Regardless the outcome and how Sam performs, it will only be 1 piece of a puzzle that needs to be a tapestry for full view. 

These one game "statements" are ridiculous.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Sorry, but no. NO.

The same way you chide others (correctly so) for making positive pronouncements of a short range view, it should be true here.

Regardless the outcome and how Sam performs, it will only be 1 piece of a puzzle that needs to be a tapestry for full view. 

These one game "statements" are ridiculous.

Pre-emptive covering/excusing Sam because you fear a loss?

If our franchise QB cannot come out and play well against the worst team in the NFL, that says more than a good game vs. the middling Raiders.  Neither game is definitive on Sam, but both will say something about Sam.  There is a trend of folks only using "good games" to evaluate and simply dismissing any bad games completely.  That's silly.

I think Sam will play very well.  I'm not afraid to say so.  I'm also not afraid to say that if he sh*ts the bed, thats a bad look for him, given the exceedingly low level of opposition.  Not fatal by a long shot, but definitely a failed test.

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Had a long reply, but forum fubar'ed it.  I think when you interior quote in my own post it meses it up when I try to reply.  :(

In any event, I think we both like what we've seen the past few weeks, and we disagree on if Darnold is proven/established enough to not have games like the Bengals be called a test.  Fair enough.  Happily what we call it makes no difference, it's purely our own individual evaluation criteria. 

I think it's more the ramifications of a "failed test" that matters, and in this case I presume we agree that absolutely nothing will happen if Sam fails this Bengals test.  He will still start (as he should), still go into 2020 as the uncontested starter (as he should), and only a portion of the fanbase may evaluate him slightly worse because of it (meaningless, really).

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Pre-emptive covering/excusing Sam because you fear a loss?

If our franchise QB cannot come out and play well against the worst team in the NFL, that says more than a good game vs. the middling Raiders.  Neither game is definitive on Sam, but both will say something about Sam.  There is a trend of folks only using "good games" to evaluate and simply dismissing any bad games completely.  That's silly.

I think Sam will play very well.  I'm not afraid to say so.  I'm also not afraid to say that if he sh*ts the bed, thats a bad look for him, given the exceedingly low level of opposition.  Not fatal by a long shot, but definitely a failed test.

Why must you do this? I have consistently stated on this site that Sam needs to be judged in a totality, and that it is too soon to make that judgment.

So please answer these questions, as this is the hill you seem to want to fight on:

-What will be the "statement" that we make if Sam has a great game? What will that mean?

-What will be the "statement" that we make if Sam has a bad game?

Who knew that a December 1 game for a 2nd year qb carried so much weight. 

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've included a link where I go into a longer version if you care to read my full thoughts.

Short version is yes, I think Wirfs COULD play LT in NFL.  I think he's the prototype modern RT though and I'd keep him there.  I don't get into this in other post, but I also think LT and RT are equal important in modern football.

Jackson is also a pro starter.  More your true long, pass blocking LT.  That's why he plays there for Iowa, IMO.  Not saying he's necessarily a better pass blocker, just the more traditional "build" 

Thanks - I did read your other post. 

I agree with your thinking on Wirfs and do agree that RT and LT are closer in value then they used to be, but I dont think the Jets can afford to spend a high pick on a RT given that it appears Edoga is better at RT and Im hoping we can get value out of starting him there.  

Id like to trade down in this draft as I think there are LT "starters" that can be had in the late first early second which can allow us to pick a center early and then someone like Trey Adams in the early second round. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This week is going to give me an ulcer. The Bengals suck, but they're not terrible. They lost by 1 point to the Seahawks, by 4 to the Bills, by a measly six in their first meeting with the Ravens, and they just held the Raiders and Steelers under 17 points in back to back weeks. They're primed to get their first win, and with Dalton coming back, this could be a rough game for us. That said, it'd be huge for the stigma around this team if they could get through the next two weeks with wins, and with Darnold looking non-sh*tty. After that, they go to Baltimore on Thursday night where they'll get absolutely walloped, so getting to that game winning two in a row will be crucial from a general aesthetic perspective, 

Every thing in this post makes perfect sense but I long for the days when we are secure enough with the Jets that we’re not worried about 0-11 teams causing ulcers. 

10 hours ago, usanyj said:

I hear you, but he’s gonna make mistakes, all qbs do. He’s going to throw an interception at some point, all of them do. He has played incredibly well the last month or so. He needs to continue to be aggressive and trust his ability, that ability has pulled out of the depths after the ghost game. He posesses everything you want in a qb. He just needs to out it all together. 

Highest Rated QB in the NFL for November....Sam Darnold

Sunday is Dec 1st....time to start another streak.  He was the Highest Rated QB in the NFL the last quarter of last year.

You could say those time periods are way more than "Flashes" over his currently very short career.

If he is able to ever put that together from an Opening Day throughout an entire season, hey, that would translate into being the #1 QB in all of football.....like Tony Romo thinks he will be.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1