A bunch of Giants articles about Leonard Williams buyer’s remorse suspiciously published concurrently

T0mShane

Just now, Warfish said:

The trade seemed odd to every Giants fan I know at the time.  Seemed odd to me too.

Good on Douglas for it, looks like it's working out well for us.

It will work out well if the yield from the pick(s) produce.

Regardless, the Jets apparently were not going to re-sign him, I don't believe we may have gotten a comp pick at all, so the ammunition in re-stocking the roster makes it smart.

And, the defense has not seemed to miss him.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

https://nypost.com/2019/11/30/leonard-williams-task-prove-giants-were-right-and-jets-were-wrong/

https://nypost.com/2019/11/30/inside-leonard-williams-debate-whats-his-worth-to-giants/

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/59985/keeping-leonard-williams-with-giants-not-all-about-the-money?platform=amp

The Post has two, Schwartz has another one, and it was a topic on SNY last night. Theme of all three is the same: why would the Giants trade a high two for a guy like this during a rebuild season, and how can they justify paying him? If you’re of a conspiratorial mind, they’re going to clean house at the end of the season—starting with Gettleman—and they’re going to use the absurd Williams trade as the hook. The Maras hate firing anyone and John Mara is super-sensitive to public criticism, so having all these stories hit the papers at the same time feels like someone is greasing the skids and lessening the PR fallout. 

Bottom line: big win for Joe Douglas.

Let’s hope you’re wrong.

Better draft pick if they keep him.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There is much to like about Leonard Williams: good guy, good teammate, good player. Except being the sixth-overall pick of the NFL draft can be a curse, because the sixth-overall pick is supposed to make the impact that Jamal Adams is making now for the Jets

I’d bet a shiny nickel that Jamal Adams is not a Jet next year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 4

20 minutes ago, slats said:

Douglas will be willing to discuss trading anyone on the roster not named Darnold next year, but Adams' price has gone way up in recent weeks. He's not a guy that JD will be looking to just get off the roster, he's a guy he'll be looking to potentially get a haul for. 

I agree, but I don’t think Douglas’s price will be two first or anything close to that. Looking at the early mock drafts, they have two Adams-like players going in the top 20, and you’d figure that teams who are disposed to draft those kinds of players might also be inclined to send that top 20 pick and an additional third (plus?) to the Jets for Adams, upon which I think Douglas would bite. The free agents classes for OL and CB are barren, but there are plenty of decent safeties, so—assuming Douglas burns his top ten pick on a left tackle, he can convert Jamal Adams into:

a starting center or CB (later Rd 1 pick), plus an RT, LB, or SS with the additional three and then just sign someone like Vonn Bell to fill in at strong safety. 

Hypothetically, you can leave the draft with Tristan Wirfs and Jamal Adams, or you can get Tristan Wirfs, Tyler Biadasz, an athletic OLB prospect, and a relatively minimal investment in a free agent to play SS. And that’s not including what Douglas could reap with the existing picks. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I agree, but I don’t think Douglas’s price will be two first or anything close to that. Looking at the early mock drafts, they have two Adams-like players going in the top 20, and you’d figure that teams who are disposed to draft those kinds of players might also be inclined to send that top 20 pick and an additional third (plus?) to the Jets for Adams, upon which I think Douglas would bite. The free agents classes for OL and CB are barren, but there are plenty of decent safeties, so—assuming Douglas burns his top ten pick on a left tackle, he can convert Jamal Adams into:

a starting center or CB (later Rd 1 pick), plus an RT, LB, or SS with the additional three and then just sign someone like Vonn Bell to fill in at strong safety. 

Hypothetically, you can leave the draft with Tristan Wirfs and Jamal Adams, or you can get Tristan Wirfs, Tyler Biadasz, an athletic OLB prospect, and a relatively minimal investment in a free agent to play SS. And that’s not including what Douglas could reap with the existing picks. 

I will be very interesting to watch how Douglas sets up his draft board and how he values certain positions:

-Does he feel the extreme need is to get Darnold "weapons"?

-Does he trust his expertise in evaluating offensive lineman, thus he can find value for those positions later in the draft?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will be very interesting to watch how Douglas sets up his draft board and how he values certain positions:

-Does he feel the extreme need is to get Darnold "weapons"?

-Does he trust his expertise in evaluating offensive lineman, thus he can find value for those positions later in the draft?

It’ll be interesting, too, to see how much time he thinks he has to get the team playoff-competitive, and if he’s conscious at all of how the roster building dynamic changes once you have to pay Darnold. He went through this last offseason with the Eagles getting choked out by the Wentz deal, and it stands to reason he has a sense of urgency toward building quickly and on the cheap, while knowing that locking yourself into expensive players are non-essential positions is rough sledding 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If we wanna believe the Cowboys-Adams rumors, then JD was looking for an All Pro level OL and more for Adams, which is a lot. 

I agree with you that the idea of two firsts for a safety is crazy, but I don't know about him taking a 1st & 3rd for him. I think if he trades Adams, he'll want -at a minimum- a proven, pro bowl level starter for him plus a first or second rounder. Will a team pony that up? I don't know. I wouldn't. But I also don't think that I'd give up Adams for two lottery tickets. Your opinion on him is clear, but it's also clear that he's establishing himself as a difference maker on the field and backing up his talk with his play. Which is saying something, because the man can certainly talk. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was amused by the repeated usage of “he does things that don’t show up on the stat sheet” until I remembered that Quinnen Williams supposedly “does a lot of things that don’t show up on the stat sheet.”

Ed Oliver had 2 sacks and a FF on Thanksgiving.  Not to mention a sack each week prior.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Ed Oliver had 2 sacks and a FF on Thanksgiving.  Not to mention a sack each week prior.

A lot of us were on that bandwagon. I've read that JD is another guy (like Mac) who puts tape ahead of measurables. Would he have taken QW, too? Oliver? Or passed on the DL all together? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Will a team pony that up? I don't know. I wouldn't. But I also don't think that I'd give up Adams for two lottery tickets.

That’s what makes this interesting: Jamal is probably worth more to the Jets than he’s worth on the open market, but Douglas didn’t draft him, so he has some freedom to do whatever he wants with the player, imo. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

https://nypost.com/2019/11/30/leonard-williams-task-prove-giants-were-right-and-jets-were-wrong/

https://nypost.com/2019/11/30/inside-leonard-williams-debate-whats-his-worth-to-giants/

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/59985/keeping-leonard-williams-with-giants-not-all-about-the-money?platform=amp

The Post has two, Schwartz has another one, and it was a topic on SNY last night. Theme of all three is the same: why would the Giants trade a high two for a guy like this during a rebuild season, and how can they justify paying him? If you’re of a conspiratorial mind, they’re going to clean house at the end of the season—starting with Gettleman—and they’re going to use the absurd Williams trade as the hook. The Maras hate firing anyone and John Mara is super-sensitive to public criticism, so having all these stories hit the papers at the same time feels like someone is greasing the skids and lessening the PR fallout. 

Bottom line: big win for Joe Douglas.

The Jets aren't winning much this year.  But they won two important things so far...

1. The PR war regarding the rebuild and Williams trade

2. The actual game vs. the Giants

1 minute ago, slats said:

A lot of us were on that bandwagon. I've read that JD is another guy (like Mac) who puts tape ahead of measurables. Would he have taken QW, too? Oliver? Or passed on the DL all together? 

Was QW’s tape really better than Oliver’s?  I’m not a big CFB guy, but I can’t help but feel if QW plays for a team outside the top 10, everything is different.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’ll be interesting, too, to see how much time he thinks he has to get the team playoff-competitive, and if he’s conscious at all of how the roster building dynamic changes once you have to pay Darnold. He went through this last offseason with the Eagles getting choked out by the Wentz deal, and it stands to reason he has a sense of urgency toward building quickly and on the cheap, while knowing that locking yourself into expensive players are non-essential positions is rough sledding 

If we can glean anything from how the Eagles have operated their drafts and personnel, there will be moving both up and down in the draft, there will be trades and not being afraid to make moves to make the team better in a short term. How much that is a reflection of Douglas is unclear.

One thing the Philadelphia organization realized was that with Wentz there was a window of opportunity and that they needed to size that opportunity quickly.

Eagles also placed a large emphasis on building the o-line.

Most interesting off-season in some time, because, well it's not Macc.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1