If it’s true...

NYallDay

42 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Any concerns about Cooper's recent (and extended) injury history?  The guy always seems to be banged up.

If the Jets DID sign Cooper in FA I'd let Robby Anderson walk, try to keep a couple role players like DT and Vyncint Smith, and of course draft a WR within the first 2-3 rounds.

Amari Cooper, Jamison Crowder, Demyrius Thomas, Vyncint Smith, Quality Rookie WR....that's an upgraded WR core.  Is Bellamy on a 1-year deal or is he back next season as WR5/6?

Julio Jones never misses games

55 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets are going to be around $65 mil under the cap next year, and that's before adding any OL, CB, or re-signing Robby Anderson. That said, Cooper is going to want a Julio+ contract ($22 mil per, $63 gtd) and I'd probably give it to him. He's going to be 26 next season, which is odd because you'd think he was 29 or 30 considering how long he's been a star. You're cutting Enunwa, which can open up $6 mil in cap room, and if you don't re-sign Anderson (it's a huge WR draft this year) then it's good use of money,.  

Fight me @Gastineau Lives

52 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I think everyone would prefer to build the team through the draft but with needs at 3 OL, CB, WR and OLB it's no plausible to fill those holes only through one draft.  If Douglas can fill 1 OL, CB and WR at receiver, that would go a long way.  I'm not a big fan of making huge splashes (e.g., Sherff) as I think mid-tier, complementary guys would suffice.

Jesus f'in Christmas. THANK YOU.

After round three, the draft is a crapshoot. And I'm being generous. 

40 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He has earned a big pay day. He's not in the elite category of WR's, but right below it. I think about $16 million/year is about what he'll get. If you figure Robbie Anderson is somewhere in the $10-$12 per year range it's not too much more for a much better receiver.

I can already see all of the threads battling about if he was worth the 16 mill we gave him without being elite haha 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Desperately need a plug and play #1 WR you sign Cooper and you draft another. Sam Darnold will only get batter surrounded by other talented players on the offense. 

Cooper plus drafting Jauan Jennings, and resigning Robby would be great.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Why do people think WRs matter so much.  Can you guys even name a WR on the 49ers, Ravens, Pats? 

Sure, Deebo Samuel, Marquise Brown (having an excellent rookie year) Julian Edelman and Mohammed Sanu and in addition the 49ers have a great receiving tight end George Kittle and Mark Andrews

But I don’t think we are getting Cooper he ain’t coming here unless you blow him away with money and even then I still doubt it

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker had better years then Cooper ever did so far.. And Marshall was a 4th rd pick and Decker a 3rd.. Cooper was the 4th player taken in the 1st rd so going by production according to some here he would be a semi bust compared to Marshall and Decker..B)

Yeah, but he’s got a 70% catch rate which is up there with Diggs and Nuke Hopkins, so **** it. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  Build through the draft, fill holes in FA.

There are too many holes to fill justvwoth the draft.  

You have a chance to get a 26 year old wr, you get him.   Look at Dak's numbers immediately before amd after they traded for cooper.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Cooper is good but perhaps a tad bit overrated and he will probably be looking for top 5 WR money 

also, the upcoming WR draft class is thought to be loaded 

Do you trade down in multiple rounds?  They have so many needs to fill, some will have to be done with FA

Just now, chirorob said:

There are too many holes to fill justvwoth the draft.  

You have a chance to get a 26 year old wr, you get him.   Look at Dak's numbers immediately before amd after they traded for cooper.

Cooper is a good player but not great

This is why I want to trade Q and Adams if we have 3x first round picks we can resign  Robby and draft a young wr

That is going to take time but for now, a few FA’s that cost a bit more and fit the system are good. This roster doesn’t have enough talent to compensate for an offseason with barely any FA moves. We don’t have to sign every big name in the world but we do still need help before we can start walking again.

Right. You guys are raising good points. I suppose my pendulum is swinging to the other extreme in my mind.
The thing I’m really thinking is that I would like to see the gradual movement toward the other philosophy. At least not going for all of the big names. Amari Cooper would be a good one but at the expense of a Sherff I’d say.
Anyhoo I would love it if we could end up more like the Pats and less like the Jets and Browns in this regard.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, isired said:

I agree we don't need Cooper, but seriously, the 49ers have built a very good, deep WR unit- guys like Deebo Samuel, Pettis, Bourne, of course Sanders - those guys can all play, and the sum is greater than the parts. Plus they get a ton of production from TE and RB too in the pass game.

The Ravens - well we're not the Ravens, nobody is on offense, but Hollywood Brown, Willie Snead, Miles Boykin is a good unit, and again great production at TE.

The Patriots offense right now isn't anything I'd model - they're average, and without Brady they're probably terrible.

I didn’t say that we shouldn’t draft or sign WRs - I said I didn’t want to pay elite money to one WR like Cooper. 

SF has done a good job of drafting mid tier players which is a good way to stock the position. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If WR's don't matter why do you want to sign an elite corner?

Because there are still good WRs in the league and we don’t have a great CB currently on our team. 

As for Jones not generating turnovers - Do you realize that teams stay away from him thereby limiting his ability to get picks?  He was an All-pro player last year. I’m guessing the ints aren’t a big deal 

I didn’t say that we shouldn’t draft or sign WRs - I said I didn’t want to pay elite money to one WR like Cooper. 
SF has done a good job of drafting mid tier players which is a good way to stock the position. 
You said they didnt matter, then pointed to 2 teams with very good young WR units, and another with good potential in some young WRs paired with some solid vets.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Why do people think WRs matter so much.  Can you guys even name a WR on the 49ers, Ravens, Pats?  

This draft is LOADED with WRs and you will be able to get a player with first round talent in the second and 2nd round talent in the top of the 3rd.  Theres no reason to spend money on Amari Cooper.

Byron Jones is different.  He's an elite player at a difficult position to find, so if he has the character that Joe D wants, that would  a nice signing.

one of the worst takes i've seen on this board.

11 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Because there are still good WRs in the league and we don’t have a great CB currently on our team. 

As for Jones not generating turnovers - Do you realize that teams stay away from him thereby limiting his ability to get picks?  He was an All-pro player last year. I’m guessing the ints aren’t a big deal 

So good WRs matter?

I would pass on Cooper for this simple reason that he isn’t the only missing piece that will get The Jets into the playoffs and beyond next year. Give DOUGLAS this draft , offseason and then play the 2020 season and see what is needed to make them perennial contenders. Now if the scenario plays out where Cooper or a comparable receiver is available after next season is completed and there is evidence that they are only a player or two away then go get him and whoever else is necessary 

41 minutes ago, isired said:
48 minutes ago, BCJet said:

You said they didnt matter, then pointed to 2 teams with very good young WR units, and another with good potential in some young WRs paired with some solid vets.

You’re right. I meant more that spending money on WRs like Amari isn’t smart as those guys don’t matter as much. 

That amari cooper and Byron jones want to test FA per NFL traderumors, I think they would both be HUGE compliments to what we have. I’m sure this has been stated already but just count me in on wanting this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re right. But this draft class has one of the deepest receiver corps in a long time.

43 minutes ago, heymangold said:

one of the worst takes i've seen on this board.

Sure. So which elite WRs are contributing to their teams winning exactly?

How is Julio Jones’ team doing?  You think the Rams are happy with Brandon Cooks’ contract?  How about the Browns and OBJ?

JD has hit on 8 of 10 shown below which is not bad so far:
1) LG Lewis (Starter now and if upgraded will be a good backup) - good
2) TE Griffin (Starter now and if upgraded will be a good backup) - good
3) WR Thomas (3rd WR and has helped a lot in the resurgence of the offense) - good
4) WR/PR Burrios (Starter at PR and 4th WR) - good
5) WR Smith (Starter at KR and 5th WR with decent potential at both with size and speed) - good
6) DL Phillips (In DL rotation and has shown very good stuff) - good
7) CB Maulet (Starter at CB with some good potential) - good
8) CB Hairston (Bad starter but still provides depth at a position still of need for backups) - average/bad
9) C Kalil (Bad starter and caused a negative impact that would not have occurred with Harrison) - bad
10) K Fickins (Serviceable but can be better and the 1st game kicker cost us that game when he missed 4 pts) - average
So, seems that for just a gap where the offseason was over he has done good overall to help fill some areas that will leave less holes for next offseason at WR, TE, some Oline at G, CB and at DL. We may have fallen on a little fortune with CB that a month ago looked like we needed a full overhaul and now looks like another potential starter from even the draft and some more good depth will do the trick.

Not bad. Good post.
Let’s not forget that the kicker situation was very poorly managed by JD. So much so that everyone and their mother was confused as to what he was doing. Ficken is ok and is a nice place to land after a terrible offseason/ preseason/ first game in that dept.

That said, I agree with you on JD looking better than not. Griffin, Lewis and Thomas being the cream of his crop. I have faith. I do. He is the first GM we’ve had who was actually supposed to be a GM since Steinberg. His pedigree is stout and I think we’re in pretty good hands.

Now the HC???? I’m not so sure.

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

This draft is LOADED with WRs and you will be able to get a player with first round talent in the second and 2nd round talent in the top of the 3rd.  Theres no reason to spend money on Amari Cooper.

Byron Jones is different.  He's an elite player at a difficult position to find, so if he has the character that Joe D wants, that would  a nice signing.

Agree with this. It's a very deep WR draft and you don't need elite talent at the position to be successful. Offensive line should still be our first, second and third priority on offense.

Sure. So which elite WRs are contributing to their teams winning exactly?
How is Julio Jones’ team doing?  You think the Rams are happy with Brandon Cooks’ contract?  How about the Browns and OBJ?

Yeah, but Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill and DeAndre Hopkins all have their teams in first place.