NYallDay

If it’s true...

Just now, GREENBEAN said:

I’d absolutely check on it but truth be told I’m really hoping the Jets shake this idea that the team can be built through FA.

A couple of well placed guys is fine but I would love to get to where comp picks matter.
If JD can actually nail some draft picks to create a young core we would be much better off.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think everyone would prefer to build the team through the draft but with needs at 3 OL, CB, WR and OLB it's no plausible to fill those holes only through one draft.  If Douglas can fill 1 OL, CB and WR at receiver, that would go a long way.  I'm not a big fan of making huge splashes (e.g., Sherff) as I think mid-tier, complementary guys would suffice.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I’d absolutely check on it but truth be told I’m really hoping the Jets shake this idea that the team can be built through FA.

A couple of well placed guys is fine but I would love to get to where comp picks matter.
If JD can actually nail some draft picks to create a young core we would be much better off.

That is going to take time but for now, a few FA’s that cost a bit more and fit the system are good. This roster doesn’t have enough talent to compensate for an offseason with barely any FA moves. We don’t have to sign every big name in the world but we do still need help before we can start walking again.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Desperately need a plug and play #1 WR you sign Cooper and you draft another. Sam Darnold will only get batter surrounded by other talented players on the offense. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Why do people think WRs matter so much.  Can you guys even name a WR on the 49ers, Ravens, Pats?  

This draft is LOADED with WRs and you will be able to get a player with first round talent in the second and 2nd round talent in the top of the 3rd.  Theres no reason to spend money on Amari Cooper.

Byron Jones is different.  He's an elite player at a difficult position to find, so if he has the character that Joe D wants, that would  a nice signing.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

We need two off seasons to fully build this team.  Use the draft to get young receivers.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets are going to be around $65 mil under the cap next year, and that's before adding any OL, CB, or re-signing Robby Anderson. That said, Cooper is going to want a Julio+ contract ($22 mil per, $63 gtd) and I'd probably give it to him. He's going to be 26 next season, which is odd because you'd think he was 29 or 30 considering how long he's been a star. You're cutting Enunwa, which can open up $6 mil in cap room, and if you don't re-sign Anderson (it's a huge WR draft this year) then it's good use of money,.  

I tend to agree. I don’t think Cooper is on Julio’s level, but how often can you get an elite WR in their prime for their entire contract? Allows us to go Oline early and not come out of the draft and go into the season with one or the other. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Why do people think WRs matter so much.  Can you guys even name a WR on the 49ers, Ravens, Pats?  

This draft is LOADED with WRs and you will be able to get a player with first round talent in the second and 2nd round talent in the top of the 3rd.  Theres no reason to spend money on Amari Cooper.

Byron Jones is different.  He's an elite player at a difficult position to find, so if he has the character that Joe D wants, that would  a nice signing.

OK, Macc

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Agreed.  Build through the draft, fill holes in FA.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

That is going to take time but for now, a few FA’s that cost a bit more and fit the system are good. This roster doesn’t have enough talent to compensate for an offseason with barely any FA moves. We don’t have to sign every big name in the world but we do still need help before we can start walking again.

I think Greenbean's got it right.  Have you seen our IR list?  Once these guys are back on the field we'll be walking just fine.  A strategic FA signing here and there plus any non Mac/Idzik draft will go a long way to making us an immediate post season contender.  Go Jets!

• Upvote 1

Any concerns about Cooper's recent (and extended) injury history?  The guy always seems to be banged up.

If the Jets DID sign Cooper in FA I'd let Robby Anderson walk, try to keep a couple role players like DT and Vyncint Smith, and of course draft a WR within the first 2-3 rounds.

Amari Cooper, Jamison Crowder, Demyrius Thomas, Vyncint Smith, Quality Rookie WR....that's an upgraded WR core.  Is Bellamy on a 1-year deal or is he back next season as WR5/6?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

If WR's don't matter why do you want to sign an elite corner?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Cooper is young. He'll be 26 next year. 

I like Cooper, but he'll want a huge contract.

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Cooper is young. He'll be 26 next year. 

Get him. Just not at all costs.

WR1: Amari Cooper 

WR2: Rookie Guy drafted on Day 2

WR3: Jamison Crowder

TE1: Herndon

TE2: Ryan Griffin

OLT: Andrew Thomas or Tristan Wirfs (Rd 1)

LG: ? or Alex Lewis

OC: Trade Jamal Adams and draft Tyler Biadasz

RG: Scherff at $16 mil per

RT: Rookie Guy from the other pick we get in the Jamal Adams trade

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets are going to be around $65 mil under the cap next year, and that's before adding any OL, CB, or re-signing Robby Anderson. That said, Cooper is going to want a Julio+ contract ($22 mil per, $63 gtd) and I'd probably give it to him. He's going to be 26 next season, which is odd because you'd think he was 29 or 30 considering how long he's been a star. You're cutting Enunwa, which can open up $6 mil in cap room, and if you don't re-sign Anderson (it's a huge WR draft this year) then it's good use of money,.  

Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker had better years then Cooper ever did so far.. And Marshall was a 4th rd pick and Decker a 3rd.. Cooper was the 4th player taken in the 1st rd so going by production according to some here he would be a semi bust compared to Marshall and Decker..B)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TJ said:

I like Cooper, but he'll want a huge contract.

He has earned a big pay day. He's not in the elite category of WR's, but right below it. I think about $16 million/year is about what he'll get. If you figure Robbie Anderson is somewhere in the $10-$12 per year range it's not too much more for a much better receiver.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He has earned a big pay day. He's not in the elite category of WR's, but right below it. I think about $16 million/year is about what he'll get. If you figure Robbie Anderson is somewhere in the $10-$12 per year range it's not too much more for a much better receiver.

I don't think it's a horrible move.  I would prefer to get receiver(s) in this year's draft.

2 minutes ago, TJ said:

I don't think it's a horrible move.  I would prefer to get receiver(s) in this year's draft.

Here's my 2020 Jets mock draft:

Rd 1) Best available OL

Rd 2) Best available OL

Rd 3.1) Best available OL

Rd 3.2) Best available OL

Rd 4) Best available OL

Rd 5) Best available OL

Rd 6) OK - WR

Seriously though - I wouldn't mind both Cooper & draft WR assuming we address OL heavily.

• Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed, we will also cut Winters and a few other dead legs. Hitting on a true 1# reviver in FA, and perhaps addressing the edge would mean we can spend most of the draft resource on Oline and Corner.

I'm feeling the same way with O'line.  I'd like to get three in the draft.  I think we should draft two and get a few UDFAs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Here's my 2020 Jets mock draft:

Rd 1) Best available OL

Rd 2) Best available OL

Rd 3.1) Best available OL

Rd 3.2) Best available OL

Rd 4) Best available OL

Rd 5) Best available OL

Rd 6) OK - WR

Seriously though - I wouldn't mind both Cooper & draft WR assuming we address OL heavily.

I'm feeling the same way with O'line.  I'd like to get three in the draft.  I think we should draft two and get a few UDFAs.

Even though the asking $ and contracts won’t be the same...I’d much rather spend a big contract on Cooper (a true #1) than a heft #2 WR contract on Robbie

Then we re-sign Demarius for cheap, and draft another WR.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BCJet said:

He also doesn't produce turnovers.  He is not worth elite money. 

14 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

my thoughts exactly

I think everyone would prefer to build the team through the draft but with needs at 3 OL, CB, WR and OLB it's no plausible to fill those holes only through one draft.  If Douglas can fill 1 OL, CB and WR at receiver, that would go a long way.  I'm not a big fan of making huge splashes (e.g., Sherff) as I think mid-tier, complementary guys would suffice.

Good point. It can’t all be done this year through the draft but I think I’d like to at least see the beginnings of that mindset take root sooner than later. Almost Every year we seem to be associated with many of the big naked FA’s and I’d like to see that lessen.
If we were to sign a big ticket guy like Cooper I’d hope that we wouldn’t be going for another FA of that caliber at the same time.

43 minutes ago, NYallDay said:

That amari cooper and Byron jones want to test FA per NFL traderumors, I think they would both be HUGE compliments to what we have. I’m sure this has been stated already but just count me in on wanting this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since the Boys spent a number 1 pick on Cooper I assume if they can afford it they would franchise tag him. Why lose a number 1 pick for only 2 years of service. Just because Cooper wants to test FA doesn't mean what I stated would not happen.

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Plus you structure his contract based on TJ being off the books in 2021. I've been championing Cooper for Sam for a while now. I think if the Jets can afford 3 free agents they should be Scherff (prob. too expensive?), Cooper & Yannick. You add those pcs to a tremendous draft from JD, what looks like it might be one of that idiot Maccagnans best drafts if Bless turns out to be a bad mofo, and 2020 could be special.

Cooper is 26, that is a WRs prime baby! These next 3 years we need to be thinking division to get to the playoffs & Super Bowl. I think the Jets are keeping Avery if healthy, and with just the injured guys coming back, the defense will be top 10. Not a lot of good defenses left in this league. I want our offense to be scary next year! I'd like to see another young stud RB signed too, to spell Bell. 

• Upvote 1

I agree we don't need Cooper, but seriously, the 49ers have built a very good, deep WR unit- guys like Deebo Samuel, Pettis, Bourne, of course Sanders - those guys can all play, and the sum is greater than the parts. Plus they get a ton of production from TE and RB too in the pass game.

The Ravens - well we're not the Ravens, nobody is on offense, but Hollywood Brown, Willie Snead, Miles Boykin is a good unit, and again great production at TE.

The Patriots offense right now isn't anything I'd model - they're average, and without Brady they're probably terrible.

19 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Good point. It can’t all be done this year through the draft but I think I’d like to at least see the beginnings of that mindset take root sooner than later. Almost Every year we seem to be associated with many of the big naked FA’s and I’d like to see that lessen.
If we were to sign a big ticket guy like Cooper I’d hope that we wouldn’t be going for another FA of that caliber at the same time.

JD has hit on 8 of 10 shown below which is not bad so far:

1) LG Lewis (Starter now and if upgraded will be a good backup) - good

2) TE Griffin (Starter now and if upgraded will be a good backup) - good

3) WR Thomas (3rd WR and has helped a lot in the resurgence of the offense) - good

4) WR/PR Burrios (Starter at PR and 4th WR) - good

5) WR Smith (Starter at KR and 5th WR with decent potential at both with size and speed) - good

6) DL Phillips (In DL rotation and has shown very good stuff) - good

7) CB Maulet (Starter at CB with some good potential) - good

8) CB Hairston (Bad starter but still provides depth at a position still of need for backups) - average/bad

9) C Kalil (Bad starter and caused a negative impact that would not have occurred with Harrison) - bad

10) K Fickins (Serviceable but can be better and the 1st game kicker cost us that game when he missed 4 pts) - average

So, seems that for just a gap where the offseason was over he has done good overall to help fill some areas that will leave less holes for next offseason at WR, TE, some Oline at G, CB and at DL. We may have fallen on a little fortune with CB that a month ago looked like we needed a full overhaul and now looks like another potential starter from even the draft and some more good depth will do the trick.

• Upvote 1