Mike Devlin- New Offensive Line Coach

MiamiJet

Mangini does it again. Another young hire....Looks like the reports on Tony Wise coming in were wrong.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/transactions/today.html

FOOTBALL TRANSACTIONS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New York Jets - Named Mike Devlin offensive line coach.

Here is his bio....

http://utrockets.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020806aaa.html

Devlin coached two seasons as the offensive line coach. He had been the assistant offensive line coach for the NFL's Arizona Cardinals before joining the Rocket staff in 2004. Devlin was an All-America offensive lineman the University of Iowa, then played seven seasons in the NFL for the Buffalo Bills and the Cardinals before moving into the coaching ranks.

Mike Devlin is in his second season at Toledo following an impressive debut as the offensive line coach in 2004.

In his first college coaching assignment, Devlin coached an offensive line that powered the No. 11 offense in the country (459.2 yards per game). One of his offensive linemen, Nick Kaczur, was taken in third round of the 2005 NFL Draft by New England.

Devlin, who played seven seasons in the NFL for the Buffalo Bills and Arizona Cardinals, had been the assistant offensive line coach for the Cardinals before joining the Rocket staff last year.

Devlin was born in Blacksburg, VA and graduated from Cherokee High School in Marlton, NJ. His father, the late John Devlin, was a football coach in both the college and professional ranks for nearly 40 years.

Devlin attended the University of Iowa, where he was a four-year letterwinner under Head Coach Hayden Fry. At Iowa, Devlin earned All-America honors and was a semifinalist for the Outland Trophy as the nation's top interior lineman in 1992. He also was named the Big Ten's Offensive Lineman of the Year and was named the Big Ten MVP by the Chicago Tribune.

Devlin was drafted in the fifth round of the 1993 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills, where he played for three seasons, including the 1993 season when the Bills played in Super Bowl XXVIII. Devlin then played for the Cardinals for four seasons before moving into the coaching ranks.

Devlin and his wife Julie have three children, Zachary (10), Hallie (7) and Carlie (5).

Mike Devlin

Hometown: Blacksburg, VA

Alma Mater: Iowa (`92)

Coaching Experience:

2004- Offensive Line, Toledo

2001-03 Asst. Offensive Line/Offensive Quality Control, Arizona-NFL

2000 Asst. Offensive Line, Arizona-NFL

Playing Experience: Iowa (1989-92); Buffalo-NFL (1993-95), Arizona-NFL (1996-99)

Recruiting Areas: Mid-Michigan, Detroit suburbs, New York, New Jersey, eastern Pennsylvania

Wow these hirings are just strange now... good luck dealing with the veterans

I think the veterans are the ones needing luck....

Mangini knows whom he wants and if he is in the BB mold, will be running a tight ship.

Don't expect any of the barbecues, sitting in first class stuff. I would hope that he runs a no nonsense, fear for your job, type of ship.

Wow these hirings are just strange now... good luck dealing with the veterans

haha, u r not serious are you????????

thats the attitude that caused all our problems,,,

the vets who are turds and have a ME attititude are GONE,,,

its all about team now, the Abes of the world are toast, unless they get religion quick,,

the coaches are back in control, the way its supposed to be

I love it. This whole organization is going to be young, hungry and enthusiastic. There may be some growing pains and I am willing to live with that if we can enjoy long term success. If anybody on the team has a problem with that they can get the f_ck out and good riddance.

I love it. This whole organization is going to be young, hungry and enthusiastic. There may be some growing pains and I am willing to live with that if we can enjoy long term success. If anybody on the team has a problem with that they can get the f_ck out and good riddance.

amen

I thought they hired Wise as the OL coach last week. Is he still here or was it a false report by the press?

i said the same thing. Appears to be false, or maybe things fell apart and Mangini settled on Devlin.

We just don't know. It is consistent with his other hires, though.

i said the same thing. Appears to be false, or maybe things fell apart and Mangini settled on Devlin.

We just don't know. It is consistent with his other hires, though.

from day one wise was flipfloppin on whetehr to get back in the game.

he left l;ast yeaq rto spend 'family ' time,,my guess he was itchin but changed mind. better know then after a year on job.

NFL players are grown men,not machines. They don't just do whatever they are told. The need to be coached.

Inexperience will be the key word for 2006 . Looks like once again...The coaching staff will be learing on the job...this time it's not just the HC...but the whole god damn staff.

At what point should this excite me?

This staff will either be Hall Of Fame caliber or a complete bust. Really don't think there is much room in between.

I am all for it though! Should be fun to watch.

I guarantee you it won't be fun to watch if they are a (to borrow your term) "complete bust".:Cuss:

Archived