So My Wife Gave Birth to Twins...

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Iowa never wins jack squat, but some of my absolute favorite memories in life are watching Iowa games with my dad, my brother, my grandparents, my cousins etc.

I couldn't be happier they decided to share their love of a team with me.

good for you...you're a better man than I and I am willing to own that...I want my children to have options...I can't possibly give this to them...I can't.

21 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

we have (over the past few weeks) made a family decision to NOT pass down the family Jet fandom to our children...we can't do it...we won't do it..

I won't pass this onto my children...

Congrats on the kids. You can hand in your Jets fan card on your way out when you ask to have your account deleted here as well. Bye.

9 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Respect that.

That was my dad.

But now we live 3000 miles away...I have a buffer and a cushion to give the kid(s) an out...

You will regret not having the bond with them.

When the Jets built the new stadium my son was in high school. I was set to give up my tickets. A guy who had kids a few years older said to me, don't do it. He is picking a school soon. If you keep the tickets you will keep him close, you will always have that bond. We got the tickets and he picked the school right across from the Jets facility lol.

The other guy said his kid never came home during college, they had no bond. He has moved out and we go to the home games, but still watch most away games together.

The bond man, it is greater than anything else.

So if they pick another team, just make sure you have a bond somehow \ some way. Football, ping pong, anything. Spending time together doing fun things is the key when they get older.

When they are young they have no choice but to like you and hang out!

13 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I hope so AND hope they don't, at the same time...that's painful to think about...all these wishy washy morons running around here who don't know sh*t about pro sports (outside of the Dodgers and when the Lakers make a run)...that's tough to come to terms with.

But I can't PROACTIVELY AND CONSCIOUSLY put this team on another generation in my family...I just can't do it...

It's one thing to force it on them, it's quite another just to be yourself and route for your teams and let them make their own decisions.  And you can tell them that.  They don't have to be Jets fans like you.  But you can still be a fan southtown.  It almost sounds like you are surrendering your fandom for the sake of the twins.  If that's the case, come on man...  less drama.

19 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

thanks man. 8 weeks deep (I am off for 10 weeks) and I am rushing to get back to work...and I can't believe it...things are HECTIC! 

Lol, crazy hard to get used to the two babies but as hard as it is to imagine getting used to it you’ll get great at it and then enjoy every minute of it.  

Just now, Maxman said:

You will regret not having the bond with them.

When the Jets built the new stadium my son was in high school. I was set to give up my tickets. A guy who had kids a few years older said to me, don't do it. He is picking a school soon. If you keep the tickets you will keep him close, you will always have that bond. We got the tickets and he picked the school right across from the Jets facility lol.

The other guy said his kid never came home during college, they had no bond. He has moved out and we go to the home games, but still watch most away games together.

The bond man, it is greater than anything else.

So if they pick another team, just make sure you have a bond somehow \ some way. Football, ping pong, anything. Spending time together doing fun things is the key when they get older.

When they are young they have no choice but to like you and hang out!

I didn't say I was not going to look at them...I just said I was going to avoid INTENTIONALLY MAKING THEM INTO JETS FANS...the good will outweigh the bad, I am confident.

With all due respect, I disagree...we live 3000 miles away...most kids in LA don't sit in front of the TV all day on Sundays eating chips and wings anyway...like I said, they surf, hike, ride dirt bikes, go outside, play in bands, make art, interpretive dancing (joke), etc....there are just so many other options for kids/people/humans here.  

Again, with all due respect, If there's an affinity, fine, but I am not going to proactively and consciously pass this on to another generation...it stops here...sorry.  We don't live near MetLife Stadium.  We don't have season tickets.  Different ballgame.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It's one thing to force it on them, it's quite another just to be yourself and route for your teams and let them make their own decisions.  And you can tell them that.  They don't have to be Jets fans like you.  But you can still be a fan southtown.  It almost sounds like you are surrendering your fandom for the sake of the twins.  If that's the case, come on man...  less drama.

huh?

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Lol, crazy hard to get used to the two babies but as hard as it is to imagine getting used to it you’ll get great at it and then enjoy every minute of it.  

awesome! Looking forward to it.  Not to get too sappy over here but, we feel super blessed and fortunate to be in this situation...we are done having kids.  We have our family.  It's been a wild 8 weeks but, I wouldn't trade it for a single baby any day of the week...thanks again! 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Is that how you think twins work?

I heard if you drink a lot of V8 and do it twice within a 36 hour period there's around a 40% chance for the twins.  Trick is you have to try and coordinate it with a waning gibbous moon.

• Haha 1

Just now, southtown24th said:

huh?

Sounds like you are surrendering your own Jets fandom for the sake of the twins.  I was saying that you can still actively root for the Jets on Sundays without making them Jets fans.  They will make their own decisions.  Sounds like you are making it for them.

4 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

awesome! Looking forward to it.  Not to get too sappy over here but, we feel super blessed and fortunate to be in this situation...we are done having kids.  We have our family.  It's been a wild 8 weeks but, I wouldn't trade it for a single baby any day of the week...thanks again! 

Exactly how I took it.  Instant family, doubled up, both healthy, I got to be the proud father with super sperm!  Screw all the amateurs with single births

16 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Iowa never wins jack squat, but some of my absolute favorite memories in life are watching Iowa games with my dad, my brother, my grandparents, my cousins etc.

I couldn't be happier they decided to share their love of a team with me.

They had a phenomal game against the ESU Timberwolves. I still remember that hit that guard Morgan put on All American Alvin Mack. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

On 10/2/19...one boy and one girl.

I will accept your congratulations in advance.  Thank you.

I am 34 years old, my wife is 35 years old.  We lived in the NJ/NY/PA area (both originally hailing from Northern NJ--spent our final years prior to relocating in the Hoboken greater area) until the summer of 2013.  In the summer of 2013, we moved west to Los Angeles to join some family and friends who had moved out here years back + live a more "well rounded" lifestyle--in our rose colored little eyes...

I digress.  My dad had season Jets tickets from 1988-2017.  I have told you all, he put in for Giants and Jets tickets and (naturally so), Jets tickets were first available. Of course.  Thus,  I was essentially born  a Jets fan.  Born into a "Jets family".  I had no choice.  My dad passed this on to me.  We went to games through the 90s, 00s, 10s and saw all of the pain and suffering first hand...a few good years in the early to mid 2000s with the suspects you all know so well...many a Sunday my dad would SCREAM at the TV or SCREAM at the radio on the way home from the stadium when we went to games...he definitely showed us what real anger and being emotionally unhinged looks like thanks to the NY Jets...

Fast forward to 10/2/19...for the past 10+ years my wife (girlfriend at the time) have been together, she could NEVER understand why I was a Jets fan...why my family was Jets fans (she inherited no team from her family being from a family of girls with a "not interested in sports" dad...but she always dated Giants fans--they had it a "lot easier", according to what she tells me)...she would always and still does say, "I don't get it, can't you just PICK another team? Let's find another team!...any team, let's pick another one" and she would go on and on and on about this...and I would explain that one does not "PICK ANOTHER TEAM"...that's not how this works...this will NEVER be how it works...I never did it and I will NEVER do that...

So, now with my two 8 week old children sitting here, we have (over the past few weeks) made a family decision to NOT pass down the family Jet fandom to our children...we can't do it...we won't do it...it would be a form of emotional/psychological abuse and negligence and we are unable to pass this terrible, terrible situation on to our children.  We made a decision and I am at peace with it..

I was torn about it at first but, it makes sense...I have a choice to make...they will have a choice...we live in Southern CA, they will have options, they will have colleges to root for, or other NFL teams or, they can do like most Angelenos, and surf/hike/make art/do an interpretive dance etc. on Sundays while the rest of the world is glued to the TV...

I won't pass this onto my children...

Congrats also on the wedding?  

My son is 2.5 years old.  Fortunately he’s too young to realize the Jets stink but today he was very excited to go to my parents house to watch the Jets with me.  He runs around a lot but when we yell for a touchdown and he claps and gets excited.  He also told me he wants to go to a Jets game.  Maybe he will see a preseason game next year.  

The Jets have been painful to watch but the friendships made from being a fan are priceless. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don’t even have the excuse of having my Jet fandom passed on. My Dad was a Brooklyn Dodger fan who only had a passing interest in the NFL. I simply chose the Jets over the Giants.

The f*** is wrong with me.

Animated GIF

• Haha 1