Anyone ever work selling cars?

Tennessee_Jet

The good thing about this type of sales is that most of the people looking at cars on your lot are solid, qualified leads; i.e. they need a car.

The bad thing is the rather unattractive label (warranted or not) that comes along with being a car salesman.

My advice: Stick with a new car dealer, stay away from used car lots.

The good thing about this type of sales is that most of the people looking at cars on your lot are solid, qualified leads; i.e. they need a car.

The bad thing is the rather unattractive label (warranted or not) that comes along with being a car salesman.

My advice: Stick with a new car dealer, stay away from used car lots.

It amazing how deluded people are regarding their credit. And no, you can't have a $200 dollar a month payment on a $40k car. With nothing down, and a 480 beacon.

Your best bet is to work at a place that has both new and used. New cars are great, but the big money is in 'pre-owned'.

Your best bet is to work at a place that has both new and used. New cars are great, but the big money is in 'pre-owned'.

Very true. That's what I meant to say, just forgot to say it. Give 'em the ol' bait-n-switch!

No offense to anyone here, but based on my experience most car salesmen are blood sucking thieving scum. Any time that I go to lease or buy a car I come well prepared because I know that I have 2 or 3 hours of haggling and arguing ahead of me. :box:

No offense to anyone here, but based on my experience most car salesmen are blood sucking thieving scum. Any time that I go to lease or buy a car I come well prepared because I know that I have 2 or 3 hours of haggling and arguing ahead of me. :box:

There's no need to haggle. Go towards the end of the month, test drive whichever car you would like. Don't even ask about price. When you go inside to sit down and commence haggling, ask one question. "May I see the invoice, please?" Offer 1,000 less then the invoice. 9 times out of 10, they'll take it.

There's no need to haggle. Go towards the end of the month, test drive whichever car you would like. Don't even ask about price. When you go inside to sit down and commence haggling, ask one question. "May I see the invoice, please?" Offer 1,000 less then the invoice. 9 times out of 10, they'll take it.

Thor, what about a lease? Are they negotiable as well? You see these ads all the time...sometimes they require a deposit and some don't. Bottom line, if a car is being advertised at say $400.00 per month, is there any wiggle room or is that it?

Thor, what about a lease? Are they negotiable as well? You see these ads all the time...sometimes they require a deposit and some don't. Bottom line, if a car is being advertised at say $400.00 per month, is there any wiggle room or is that it?

There is wiggle room in a lease. The concept of a lease is that you pay for the 'amount' of car you use. There is something called a 'residual' price of your car. There is a set price for what your car should be worth after your lease is up, be it a 2,3, or 4 year lease.

In round numbers, let's say the car you're leasing costs $30k. For a three year lease, the residual is based on normal wear and tear plus milage on that vehicle. Let's just say the residual on that vehicle would be $15k. So over those 3 years you are only responsible for paying 15k, assuming you don't go over miles or wreck it, etc. Where people get shafted in a lease is that they see a low monthly payment and figure that's it. The dealer or salesperson doesn't want you to know about the residual worth.

When considering a lease, always ask what the residual is, and ask to see it on paper. Bring a calculator and figure it out, it's pretty easy.

There is huge money in leasing. For the salesman. Just before I quit selling Nissans, I leased a Murano to a nice young couple. I think their payments were $330, and they loved the payments and the car. I probably could have gotten their payments down to $275, had they asked. I ended making over a grand on that deal.

Just before I quit selling Nissans, I leased a Murano to a nice young couple. I think their payments were $330, and they loved the payments and the car. I probably could have gotten their payments down to $275, had they asked. I ended making over a grand on that deal.

That was you??? Bastard

There is wiggle room in a lease. The concept of a lease is that you pay for the 'amount' of car you use. There is something called a 'residual' price of your car. There is a set price for what your car should be worth after your lease is up, be it a 2,3, or 4 year lease.

In round numbers, let's say the car you're leasing costs $30k. For a three year lease, the residual is based on normal wear and tear plus milage on that vehicle. Let's just say the residual on that vehicle would be $15k. So over those 3 years you are only responsible for paying 15k, assuming you don't go over miles or wreck it, etc. Where people get shafted in a lease is that they see a low monthly payment and figure that's it. The dealer or salesperson doesn't want you to know about the residual worth.

When considering a lease, always ask what the residual is, and ask to see it on paper. Bring a calculator and figure it out, it's pretty easy.

There is huge money in leasing. For the salesman. Just before I quit selling Nissans, I leased a Murano to a nice young couple. I think their payments were $330, and they loved the payments and the car. I probably could have gotten their payments down to $275, had they asked. I ended making over a grand on that deal.

Thanks, it's good to know that I've been hosed in my past leases. I'll give it a shot come August when my lease is up.

Thanks, it's good to know that I've been hosed in my past leases. I'll give it a shot come August when my lease is up.

Tell me about it. I was so mad when I started working there. Just thinking of all the money I threw away.

I always used to laugh when they said that the dealer invoice cost (not msrp) was a certain amt (say $20,000.00) and I negotiated down to $20,400.00 trying to get even lower & they give me some nonsense about how they're "only making $400 on the sale as it is." The dealership, the salesman, everyone there split up $400 of profit. What a load of garbage some people believe. Like anyone would run a small business that could stay afloat on a 2% profit margin.

But the best thing I learned from leasing cars is to get a car that comes with everything & stay away from the options as much as you can. Thor99 can probably go into more detail, but the end result is that you essentially lease the car (based on the residual value when you turn it in) but you outright PURCHASE the options, as though they had a 0% residual value at the end of the lease. That's how you end up with a $25,000 car for, say $300/month & adding $2000 in options brings it to $360/month. And you scratch your head that the sticker price went up 8% but your payments just went up 20%. THAT is the biggest scam going. It's why many say "buy American, lease Japanese" b/c those cars come with everything. If you're into a lot of non-essential options, just buy the f*cker & turn/trade it in when you damn well feel like it.

Thor do I have this right?

Thor do I have this right?

I understand what you're saying, but I look at it a little differently. Those extras do add to the residual at the end of the term. However, the difference in loss of value is greater in all those extras.

It's like everything else in life, for the most part. You get what you pay for.

I love all these new cars with the nav systems. It adds 2-3k onto the price of the car, and is pretty cool... for about 2 weeks. Unless you're a travelling salesman the nav systems do you no good. You mean to tell me you don't know how to get to your favorite Piggly Wiggly?

That said, I will never buy another car as long as I live. The great thing about a lease, as long as you know the residual, is that you have lower payments, a newer car, and if you stay under the miles, no negative equity. If you buy a car, in order to really get your money's worth, you have to hold on to it for about 10 years. Most people, after 3-4 years are ready for a new one. The problem here is that your car is probably worth 4-5k and you still owe 10k, now you're stuck. When leasing, you don't have this problem, you just have a new car every 3 years. With lower payments.

Ask any business person what a folly it is to purchase such an expensive item that loses value so quickly. Buying a car is quite possibly the dumbest thing you can do with your money.

I might rephrase that to say "buying a new car might be the dumbest thing ever". I think if you break it down the best thing to look for is a 3 year old car right after the new models come out. That makes it 4 years old to the industry and you can ussually find one with low miles. I just got a deal on an explorer like this about 4 months ago. Eddie Bauer, V8, totally loaded with 22k and I picked it up for 15k. I think it was a good deal. Not a scratch on it and it was previously owned by Ford Corp and was driven by one of the Execs. So it was not beaten up by som kid and probably got its proper servicing. Anyway this car was for my wife and she loves it. It runs great and I have not complaints so far.

I might rephrase that to say "buying a new car might be the dumbest thing ever". I think if you break it down the best thing to look for is a 3 year old car right after the new models come out. That makes it 4 years old to the industry and you can ussually find one with low miles. I just got a deal on an explorer like this about 4 months ago. Eddie Bauer, V8, totally loaded with 22k and I picked it up for 15k. I think it was a good deal. Not a scratch on it and it was previously owned by Ford Corp and was driven by one of the Execs. So it was not beaten up by som kid and probably got its proper servicing. Anyway this car was for my wife and she loves it. It runs great and I have not complaints so far.

Hey, if you like the car, it's worth every penny.

You can get V-8's fairly inexpensively right now because of gas prices. Good luck with your Bronco.

doesn't that go for salesman in general?

Archived