Name one Jets offensive lineman that you definitely want back next year as a starter. You can't.

Maxman

7 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Agreed. There NO slam dunk keepers, but plenty of slam dunk cuts.

I can't remember a line like this before. Ever.

Shell should be a keeper, he is terrible now so he isn't. Edoga can't be in the plans for next year either.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, ryu79 said:

I don't think we can pull off getting rid of all of them?

No one is slam dunk keeper for me, but of those there I'd say Beachem and Harrison are serviceable .... Though Beachem was a mess today...

That was the thought recently but those two had awful games today. Run blocking isn't a thing.

Pollack has to be fired as well.

• Upvote 2

Needs a complete overhaul. Its disgusting really, Macc's inability to see the weaknesses on this team and adequately address them. At bare minimum we need 3 new starters. A tackle and two guards. Not that any of them are any good, but if Douglas doesn't get AT LEAST 3 new starters on o-line then I'm going to start wondering about him too. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Today was maybe the worst of the season.

Even the Pats debacle, at least they're a talented D.

Today it wasn't just the hits and sacks, the drive killing useless penalties that just shut the O down all game was inexcusable.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Assuming you can overhaul the other 4 positions, I would keep Alex Lewis as a starter. See how he gels with talent on either side of him? People seem to forget the Jets once upon a time had a left side that read D'Brichashaw Ferguson, ADRIAN CLARKE, and Nick Mangold. So the saying isn't necessarily true. They say you can get any guy off the street to play Guard. Adrian Clarke is PROOF that doesn't always work. Then, for very obvious reasons everything was rosy when Alan Faneca came along. 

Eventually, for money reasons Faneca was cut and Matt Slauson took over. I never thought he was all that bad? So I think Matt Slauson might be the "any guy off the street" that the saying refers to.

Point being if you have enough talent at LT, C, and RT, the Guards no longer become a position you must have Alan Faneca at. You can still have a very good OL with guys like Matt Slauson and Brandon Moore at the Guard spots. Analogy is the same here. MAYBE a guy like Alex Lewis looks much better when he has talent surrounding him.

There are none I want back as starters, but we need to root hard that Edoga can improve enough to start next year at RT.  Let's see how he looks with a full offseason of NFL conditioning, etc. Everyone else are vet backups at best that are exposed when they have to play too much.  

I keep saying, LT in round 1, C in round 2 or 3, and another OL in 4 or 5 as young depth and maybe a future starter. Draft OL who love football, not just guys who look good in drills. 

Sign a quality vet guard, if possible. Not a Mac style vet castoff; someone actually good.  Then, see what's what after next season. 

Rebuilding the OL will take at least 2 full seasons if they hit on all the draft picks.  More if they don't...

• Upvote 2

No team wants all of its OL back as starters.   The hope is that you can want 3+ of them back, and hopefully those 3 make the others look decent.

This is a terrible OL, but it is definitely playing collectively worse then some of the individuals.  I do think that some of these players can be salvaged.  I also think that the Bengals style of physical DL play was not a good thing for the Jets.  This Jets team will do very poorly in the AFC North.  I predict 0-4.  

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I can't remember a line like this before. Ever.

Shell should be a keeper, he is terrible now so he isn't. Edoga can't be in the plans for next year either.

It's really mind boggling, as last year, Shell and Harrison were not terrible.  Certainly not all pro but reasonably productive. 

Is it scheme?

Coaching?

Loss of motivation? 

Did they just have a good year last year and are now what they've always been?

Something seems lost in translation between the staff and the player in this unit.

2 hours ago, ryu79 said:

I don't think we can pull off getting rid of all of them?

No one is slam dunk keeper for me, but of those there I'd say Beachem and Harrison are serviceable .... Though Beachem was a mess today...

Has that ever been done? Replacing an entire OL the following year? If not, be the first. JD needs to take drastic measures. He needs picks, early picks to grab quality prospects in the draft. Macc’s BPA has caused this mess. JD should be heartless and get rid of 2 of Macc’s picks that were luxury picks - Adams and QW. Trade them both, you now have 3# 1 picks. You grab LT Thomas and that center from Wisconsin. And you still have a #1 and the rest of your picks + a boatload of money to spend in FA. It’s not impossible to turn this around 180 degrees.

The OL had played pretty well in recent weeks.  They were terrible yesterday but it's not fair to throw all of them out because of that.  Remember how bad Mangold and brick looked in 2007? Then they added Woody and Faneca and all of a sudden they started playing like all pros.  OL is a unit that needs all 5 on the same page.  When they aren't they all look bad.