Name one Jets offensive lineman that you definitely want back next year as a starter. You can't.

Maxman

15 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I’m old enough to remember that people were defending this clown until the day he got fired and said it was fine he got to spend money and draft this offseason. 

To be fair, the healthy team we see on the field is nothing like we expected to see.  A fully healthy team is a playoff contender this year, they have been ravaged by injury and illness.  

Even with all the adversity we already have as many wins as we had a year ago.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, naturalscience said:

It's really mind boggling, as last year, Shell and Harrison were not terrible.  Certainly not all pro but reasonably productive. 

Is it scheme?

Coaching?

Loss of motivation? 

Did they just have a good year last year and are now what they've always been?

Something seems lost in translation between the staff and the player in this unit.

Going back to my post a LOT of this is chemistry along the line. The Jets just don't have any talent on the line right now. Adding a bonafide young talent at LT and C would instantly make someone like Alex Lewis a better player. I agree with you that some of the OL could be salvaged as a starting Guard or as a backup. I would try Lewis, Edoga, and maybe even Shell as starting Guards.

• Upvote 1

it's not right to make excuses but the officials did a real bad job.  i'm going to try and not be too jet biased but the compton non hold cost a 23 yard pass play and then there was another questionable call that brought back a nice run by bell.  and then there was the phony call in the end zone on beachum.  why a penalty in the end zone should result in such a stiff penalty (points plus change of possession) is beyond me.  and i suspect the db was interfering with anderson missed td pass.  granted robbie needs to catch that ball but the db was all over him.

10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Sad part is, we’re not going to have 5 new starters next year.

A day like today makes you remember who this team is, and how changing that isn’t going to be easy or done quickly.

The really sad part is a large and growing number Jets fans have been saying the OL needs attention since Mangold was cut in 2017 - some since Brick retired, Clady days and before...

Shocking it had to get this bad for the "professionals" to take notice and hopefully do something about it   

• Upvote 1

As others have said, you aren’t replacing all 5 starters in one offseason.

I don’t have a major issue with Beachum and maybe Harrison returning as starters next season. But the overhaul needs to be initiated ASAP.

LT Kelvin Beachum 

LG Joe Thuney 

C Jonotthan Harrison 

RG Brandon Scherff 

RT Trey Adams (2nd round)

I don’t give two sh*ts about throwing big money at some corner or mediocre receiver in FA. There WILL however most likely be a couple of good OL that hit the market. Spend the money there.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

To be fair, the healthy team we see on the field is nothing like we expected to see.  A fully healthy team is a playoff contender this year, they have been ravaged by injury and illness.  

Even with all the adversity we already have as many wins as we had a year ago.

Quit this. It’s not even remotely true. The offensive line sucked out loud even healthy. This was always a 4-6 win team. Please. 

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t have a major issue with Beachum and maybe Harrison returning as starters next season. But the overhaul needs to be initiated ASAP.

LT Kelvin Beachum 

LG Joe Thuney 

C Jonotthan Harrison 

RG Brandon Scherff 

I don’t give two sh*ts about throwing big money at some corner or mediocre receiver in FA. There WILL however most likely be a couple of good OL that hit the market. Spend the money there.

i'm hopeful that a couple of the current OL could be better with improved players around them.

1 minute ago, cbudiarjo said:

i'm hopeful that a couple of the current OL could be better with improved players around them.

I agree

Namely Beachum and Harrison.

Let Robby walk and seek his $11-12 million a year elsewhere, invest heavy in the OL in FA, draft CeeDee Lamb in Round 1 then grab the best available OT at the top of Round 2.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

LT Kelvin Beachum 

LG Joe Thuney 

C Jonotthan Harrison 

RG Brandon Scherff 

Nice plan. Beachum and Harrison would be fine with quality players beside them. Getting Adams in the 2nd round to play RT for a year, then hopefully moved to LT in year 2, would be a very smart move.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Quit this. It’s not even remotely true. The offensive line sucked out loud even healthy. This was always a 4-6 win team. Please. 

If healthy this is a playoff caliber team.  Before yesterday people were talking playoffs.  If Sam never gets mono we have 2-3 more wins alone.  If relatively healthy this team was capable of competing, unfortunately they were destroyed by injuries, illness and suspensions. 

With all the injuries, illness and suspensions we've won 4 so to say 4-6 when healthy is beyond laughable.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

If healthy this is a playoff caliber team.  Before yesterday people were talking playoffs.  If Sam never gets mono we have 2-3 more wins alone.  If relatively healthy this team was capable of competing, unfortunately they were destroyed by injuries, illness and suspensions. 

With all the injuries, illness and suspensions we've won 4 so to say 4-6 when healthy is beyond laughable.

They lost to the Dolphins and the Bengals. You’re insane. Stop. 

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They lost to the Dolphins and the Bengals. You’re insane. Stop. 

The dolphins now have 3 wins, the Bengals lost close games to Seattle, Pitt, Baltimore among others.

With everything going wrong we already have 4 wins.  

Remember when Douglas got killed for trying to band-aid the Center position with Kalil?  What a loser.  Everyone knows it's easy to find starting O-Linemen in August.  

Everyone also knows every #PlayoffRoster starts with a bottom 3 Offensive Line.  

Macc should be arrested for criminal negligence.  

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

Not as a starter though. There are none.

Harrison might have received some consideration. Then today happened.

he got absolutely abused today.. Like regularly just manhandled.  Him and tom compton were absolutely terrible.  

Theres no way were going to replace all 5 starters this year so good chance alex lewis and either edoga or shell are starting again next year.  I would imagine they'd resign beachum too. 

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Remember when Douglas got killed for trying to band-aid the Center position with Kalil?  What a loser.  Everyone knows it's easy to find starting O-Linemen in August.  

Everyone also knows every #PlayoffRoster starts with a bottom 3 Offensive Line.  

Macc should be arrested for criminal negligence.  

What I can't figure out is that this has been an ongoing issue for years.  Was Mac the only one responsible for player evaluation?  Was the coaching staff not given any say into personnel decisions?

Oh and people saying that we can plug up some of the OL holes with free agency, guess again.  It's a league wide issue and we're not the only ones bidding.

Check out what the Eagles paid Lane Johnson.

Just now, peebag said:

What I can't figure out is that this has been an ongoing issue for years.  Was Mac the only one responsible for player evaluation?  Was the coaching staff not given any say into personnel decisions?

Macc came from a personnel background, and he was the GM.  So, yeah, he was the primary reason the OL sucks right now.  

The coaches certainly had input, but only the GM puts his name on draft picks.  We didn't once use a pick higher than a 3rd rounder on OL, and that 3rd rounder (Edoga) blows.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ryu79 said:

I don't think we can pull off getting rid of all of them?

No one is slam dunk keeper for me, but of those there I'd say Beachem and Harrison are serviceable .... Though Beachem was a mess today...

Have to use the approach taken in 2006, targeting the two most important OLine positions in the Draft with a LT and Center.  This is a reasonably good year to do that.  The Line isn't a 1-year rebuild.  Our best hope is to draft LT, Center, and then sign a couple hold-the-fort guys at OG, and probably compete Shell against a second-year Edoga at RT.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I’m old enough to remember that people were defending this clown until the day he got fired and said it was fine he got to spend money and draft this offseason. 

What’s that old saying about a wet dream?

Well Maccagnan could even f*ck up a Le’veon Bell signing hahaha ($50Mill for 2 point something a carry, yes I know lots of it has to do with having NO professionals on the OLine Maccagnan neglected for 5 YEARS). AND a CJ Moseley signing, guy who had never been hurt...bet he tears something first day of training camp next year.

There goes about $100Mill circling the drain...thanks Maccagnan.

Yeah but let him handle Free Agency AND the Draft.

PS I also have no hope for Q Williams.  The ONLY bust sandwiched in between multiple D Pro Bowlers selected around him in last year’s draft.  Everything Maccagnan ever touched turns to sh*t.

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Have to use the approach taken in 2006, targeting the two most important OLine positions in the Draft with a LT and Center.  This is a reasonably good year to do that.  The Line isn't a 1-year rebuild.  Our best hope is to draft LT, Center, and then sign a couple hold-the-fort guys at OG, and probably compete Shell against a second-year Edoga at RT.

Agreed, but we may do it in the reverse order. C first.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If we can get the next Brick and Mangold in this upcoming draft, it won't require more than a 1-year rebuild.  That's how important upgrading LT and one other spot on the line can be for an offense.  

What I fail to understand is why there are some posters out there who would flat out refuse to trade Jamal Adams to make this so. 

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

“Everything going wrong”. You mean letting Macc do FA and the draft? Or the hiring of Adam Gase?

No I mean QB playing with mono week 1 then missing 3 weeks.

Backup QB not lasting a half and having to lay 3 games with a practice squad QB.

OL never playing together in preseason then dropping like flies once season begins

Big weapon at TE suspended to start the season then plays 1 game and is out for the year

Top WR out for the year

Best defensive player  and big FA signing didn't last through game 1 after losing another starting LB in preseason.

Losing all our corners

I can go on and on.  If you don't think we've had issues we couldn't control I can't help you.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Backup QB not lasting a half and having to lay 3 games with a practice squad QB.

OL never playing together in preseason then dropping like flies once season begins

Big weapon at TE suspended to start the season then plays 1 game and is out for the year

Top WR out for the year

Best defensive player  and big FA signing didn't last through game 1 after losing another starting LB in preseason.

Losing all our corners

I can go on and on.  If you don't think we've had issues we couldn't control I can't help you.

The Steelers have been without Big Ben for weeks and they’re in the playoff hunt with an UDFA at the most important position and winning games. Don’t act like it can’t be done. Gase mailed in it for weeks and no one here cared to call him out on it. 

Injuries happen to every team. Coaching matters. The Jets have a bottom tier roster and a bottom tier head coach. Celebrating having 4 wins with one of the easiest schedules in the league is depressing. 

• WTF? 1

30 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Top WR out for the year

Losing all our corners

There is truth to some of this, but man do you overstate it.  OL never playing together?  That couldn't have been foreseen?  That Osemele was hurt and didn't fit the system?  This should not have come as a shock.  That Kalil was done?  He was retired, right?  Has Winters or Lewis ever gone through a season healthy? 

Best WR out for the year? He has been in the league since 2014.  This is the 3rd time that he hasn't played more than a single game.  He missed all of 2017, then 5 games in 2018 including the last 3.  His 2nd best year he had under 40/500 and he never had over 56% catch rate. 

We knew that our Big Weapon at TE was suspended to start the season for an awful long time.  He was arrested on June 2, 2018.  He also missed his senior year hurt.  It is not a surprise when injury prone players are injured.  Are we going to whine if Bless Austin doesn't play 16?  Who could have expected such a thing?

Losing all our corners?  What corners?  Trumaine Johnson was benched.  For sucking.  Long before he got hurt.  Who else missed time?  I guess Roberts missed a bit and Maulet went down yesterday, but why would they be counting on him in the first place? 

One thing I know is that you can go on and on.  So can I, but c'mon.