Maxman

Name one Jets offensive lineman that you definitely want back next year as a starter. You can't.

Assuming you can overhaul the other 4 positions, I would keep Alex Lewis as a starter. See how he gels with talent on either side of him? People seem to forget the Jets once upon a time had a left side that read D'Brichashaw Ferguson, ADRIAN CLARKE, and Nick Mangold. So the saying isn't necessarily true. They say you can get any guy off the street to play Guard. Adrian Clarke is PROOF that doesn't always work. Then, for very obvious reasons everything was rosy when Alan Faneca came along. 

Eventually, for money reasons Faneca was cut and Matt Slauson took over. I never thought he was all that bad? So I think Matt Slauson might be the "any guy off the street" that the saying refers to.

Point being if you have enough talent at LT, C, and RT, the Guards no longer become a position you must have Alan Faneca at. You can still have a very good OL with guys like Matt Slauson and Brandon Moore at the Guard spots. Analogy is the same here. MAYBE a guy like Alex Lewis looks much better when he has talent surrounding him.

7 hours ago, naturalscience said:

It's really mind boggling, as last year, Shell and Harrison were not terrible.  Certainly not all pro but reasonably productive. 

Is it scheme?

Coaching?

Loss of motivation? 

Did they just have a good year last year and are now what they've always been?

Something seems lost in translation between the staff and the player in this unit.

Going back to my post a LOT of this is chemistry along the line. The Jets just don't have any talent on the line right now. Adding a bonafide young talent at LT and C would instantly make someone like Alex Lewis a better player. I agree with you that some of the OL could be salvaged as a starting Guard or as a backup. I would try Lewis, Edoga, and maybe even Shell as starting Guards.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

The really sad part is a large and growing number Jets fans have been saying the OL needs attention since Mangold was cut in 2017 - some since Brick retired, Clady days and before...

Shocking it had to get this bad for the "professionals" to take notice and hopefully do something about it   

No professional, just MAC

14 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Adam Gase is the head coach.

Adam Gase hired Gregg Williams.

People hate everything about Gase and won't even give him credit for setting up a model that worked well on defense last season.

He's EARNED the right to coach this team for another season. Gase is not perfect, not even close. But this season is his best as a HC.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company