Maxman

Name one Jets offensive lineman that you definitely want back next year as a starter. You can't.

13 hours ago, ryu79 said:

I don't think we can pull off getting rid of all of them?

No one is slam dunk keeper for me, but of those there I'd say Beachem and Harrison are serviceable .... Though Beachem was a mess today...

Have to use the approach taken in 2006, targeting the two most important OLine positions in the Draft with a LT and Center.  This is a reasonably good year to do that.  The Line isn't a 1-year rebuild.  Our best hope is to draft LT, Center, and then sign a couple hold-the-fort guys at OG, and probably compete Shell against a second-year Edoga at RT.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Agreed, but we may do it in the reverse order. C first.

No problem with that.  I really like Tyler Biadasz and Creed Humphrey.  At least one should be on the Board even if the Jets end up picking later than 15 some how.  I'd even consider trading back.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

Probably two returnees will start next year, assuming the Jets can acquire three new starters. If the Jets do not get at least three new starters, then the offseason has probably been a failure.

New starters: LT and C in draft (somewhere in first three rounds), one more either in FA (will have to overpay to sign someone, though), or a third in the draft.  You want a good OL? Then DRAFT for it.

Possible returners : Harrison (backup C/G), Edoga ( backup T/G let's see what he looks like after a full offseason), and Lewis (backup G/T). Maybe one of the current OT like Beachum can be brought back. But probably two of those guys just listed will be starters next year.

Agree.

Replacing an entire 5-man starting OLine is simply impossible in one offseason.  We'll need to keep the best of this bad group and try to replace some key spots like LT and C.  I think Lewis could be a decent hold-the-fort starter at LG.  I'd have Shell and Edoga compete for RT.  I'd have Jonotthan Harrison penciled in at Center and hope to draft a Center.  We'll need to sign at least 2-3 FAs, hopefully a Tier 1 guy like Scherff and another starting caliber (if only average) OG.

Valuable draft capital (first 3-4 rounds) should be used on the most impactful OLine spots...finding that longterm LT and Center, just like we did back in 2006 in finding Mangold and D'Brick to anchor the line for a decade+.

Sign 2-3 guys, draft a LT (Round 1), Center (Round 2-3), developmental OG (Round 5 or later) should be the plan.  Sprinkle in a WR, CB and Edge rusher in the gaps between those picks.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company