PFF on Quinnen Williams

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Blew it by not trading him, they will never get an offer like the one they supposidley got.

Sunk cost now.  He will end up being another leo, okay player always 'almost' good.

Awful draft pick but then again moron chris johnson gave mac one last off season to screw the team.

The early returns are frighteningly LW-like but let’s give Quinnen one more year. 

• Upvote 1

DI Quinnen WilliamsNew York Jets

This may be the most surprising rookie performance of the 2019 season. After recording the highest single-season grade of any defensive player we have graded in the PFF College era at 96.0, Quinnen Williams was getting a lot of attention and was even being considered by some to be a better prospect than the second overall pick Nick Bosa. Williams ended up going third overall to the New York Jets and everyone thought they got the safest pick in the Draft. Thus far in 2019, that’s not even remotely close to being the case.

Williams has produced an overall grade of 67.4, ranking 46th among 76 interior defensive linemen. He has made a few plays in run defense and made his way to the 37th best run-defense grade at 70.5. However, Williams’ run-defense isn’t the issue – it’s his pass-rushing. Williams drops all the way down to 60th in PFF pass-rush grade at 57.2, has produced pressure at an astronomically low rate of 4.7% and has won on just 7.3% of his reps. 

Injury had gotten to Williams early on, but he’s been healthy as of late and has still made little to no impact plays. There’s more optimism with Williams than any other rookie in PFF’s stock down report, but his play thus far is certainly cause for concern.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-stock-up-stock-down-nfl-rookies-week-13-2019

9 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

The pick was mind-numbingly stupid from the moment it was made.  There's nowhere near the positional value to justify #3 overall, and worse yet was the fifth repetition of the same idiotic failure.  I've been rooting for Quinnen to be great, because he's here now no matter what I thought initially, but it was excessively unlikely he would ever be able to justify the pick.  Now, at this point, he just needs to prove himself to be any more than a complete JAG.  Giving Maccagnan another draft cemented CJ as the unquestionably dumber of the Johnsons, which is no easy task.

i guess we all have to step back a little and realize he's still a rookie.  but at the same time he's an example of how macc drafted.  he either picked the safe choice or took these flyers on the shoulda been first rounders.  we should all be very glad he's gone.

5 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

You guys are all stuck in 1st gear thinking the Jets should have drafted another player at 3. What they should have done was trade down. The reason why they didn't is because Mac had very dumb, unreasonable expectations in regards to compensation. He had no business being a GM period.

I think many on here wanted to trade down but it wasn't a QB heavy draft so it sounded like there was no great opportunity to do so.  At least that was the impression that I was under at the time.  Recently I read something about how a team tried to blow the Jets away with an offer for the #3 pick.  I would've been all for trading down.  I wanted OL at the time and obviously I still do today.  That said, I did like the QW pick at the time.  

The Jets seem to always get high draft grades the day after a draft. Then the players they picked play and it is revealed just how clueless everyone - and especially the Jets FO - has been in selecting players.  

I'm officially over it. Wake me when the 2020 season starts.

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Biggest thing working against San is that Macc missed on 100% of his other picks... so it’s hard to fathom he got it right at QB. Don’t get me wrong. I want Sam to be great... I just cannot ignore this data.

Just be thankful he didn't pick Rosen. 

8 hours ago, jetsons said:
DI Quinnen WilliamsNew York Jets

This may be the most surprising rookie performance of the 2019 season. After recording the highest single-season grade of any defensive player we have graded in the PFF College era at 96.0, Quinnen Williams was getting a lot of attention and was even being considered by some to be a better prospect than the second overall pick Nick Bosa.

I personally think he is young enough that a lot of these judgements are being made early. However, one would hope that at least on the merits, this should cull a lot of the discussion that Williams' success at Alabama was overdone - you have PFF (the basis of way too much banter on this forum anyway) saying he had the best season they ever graded at his position. This wasn't a work out warrior, or combine freak that you can real question evaluation on - there is definitely talent. He hasnt done it consistently yet, but you see the force with which the kid plays, he needs reps and coaching, but I think can be solid for his position.

However, I think the real frustration is that we didnt need another DL at the time (for example, as much as folks spend time comparing him with Ed Oliver - another very talented DL who I have no issue with - we didn't need Oliver either), and we should have traded back to either draft an OL or an OLB (like Allen or Burns if we had to drop back further). That frustration is not on Williams and the hate he gets here is way over the top, imho. 

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Makes sense why his snaps counts have gone down.  He played 48% vs. Oak.  47% vs. Cinci.  He's a ghost out there.  

It's almost like this was predictable and was talked about ad nauseam on this very board. 

I don’t even care that Ed Oliver is playing better because he would have been the wrong pick as well. YOU DON’T DRAFT RUN STUFFING DTs WITH PREMIUM DRAFT CAPITAL IN A 3-4. This is especially true after weakening and neglecting other areas of the roster over the last decade.

This is also after wasting 4 1st rd picks on DL in the last 8 years prior. I mean, how could he draft a DT at 3?????? They all failed!!!! I can’t take the incompetence anymore. It’s Joe Douglas or bust.

• Sympathy 1

Pass rush from an interior lineman? That's what everyone's panties are in a bunch about?!

This is the stupidest notion in the world.

And then there's the lies "I never saw him double teamed..." oh please!! every 3-4 interior lineman is double-teamed frequently. Four or three against five, it's simple math.

Finally, there's the notion that there is a No. 1 draft pick market for Quinnen Williams. Who? Name ONE team that would now or would have in the past given the Jets a No. 1 pick for Quinnen Williams. You can't. Not because of PFF, but because people aren't spending No. 1 draft picks on other team's [presumably bust] No. 1 rookie draft picks. What sense does that even make? Another team is supposed to be open to over spending on a proven (by your measure) bust? It's pure lunacy, no matter often it's repeated.

Pro QW Rant over...

21 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Pass rush from an interior lineman? That's what everyone's panties are in a bunch about?!

This is the stupidest notion in the world.

And then there's the lies "I never saw him double teamed..." oh please!! every 3-4 interior lineman is double-teamed frequently. Four or three against five, it's simple math.

Finally, there's the notion that there is a No. 1 draft pick market for Quinnen Williams. Who? Name ONE team that would now or would have in the past given the Jets a No. 1 pick for Quinnen Williams. You can't. Not because of PFF, but because people aren't spending No. 1 draft picks on other team's [presumably bust] No. 1 rookie draft picks. What sense does that even make? Another team is supposed to be open to over spending on a proven (by your measure) bust? It's pure lunacy, no matter often it's repeated.

Pro QW Rant over...

He has made one note worthy play this year one, (and Jamal hogged the glory on that play with his antics).

He looks for all the world like Leo version 2 and the excuses we are seeing are the exact some ones for Leo 4 years of meh play.

Douglas has one huge strike against him already for not trading him when he was massively overvalued by another team.

• Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He has made one note worthy play this year one, (and Jamal hogged the glory on that play with his antics).

He looks for all the world like Leo version 2 and the excuses we are seeing are the exact some ones for Leo 4 years of meh play.

Douglas has one huge strike against him already for not trading him when he was massively overvalued by another team.

Again, who is this team? Can you point to any such transaction recently?

"...he looks to all the world..."

Not to me. He looks like a rookie DT in a 3-4. But, you know, I'm willing to give a guy more than 12 games to prove his worth.

It takes more than one guy on any DL to make an impact. Have you ever thought that Leo was undermined by not playing at one position during his formative years and by the flux in systems and roles? Geez, the guy fetched a nice load for such a "bum" as you refer to him. And who knows how good either Williams would be on, say Jacksonville, or the Ravens.

The problem with Williams was more player development than lack of talent, something MOST Jets players suffer from.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I apologize. Allow me to make the point in a less inflammatory manner.

ahem

ok

Quinnen Williams over the last four games: 148 snaps, 4 tackles, 0 sacks, 2 QB hits, 1 TFL.

In other news the Jets are 4-8.  Haven't sniffed the playoffs in a decade and doubtful to return any time soon.  Thanks for the info.  JN is lost without you.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1