Okay Joe Douglas..

Okay so now that our beloved Jets set us straight back to reality my focus is now shifted to the offseason and improving this team.  So what does Joe Douglas do?  What does Joe Douglas' history tell us?  To be honest I don't know much about his team building philosophy other than I know he likes to build from within with building up the OL.  Does he make a move with Bell?  Bell has impressed me with his composure despite knowing he's not being utilized properly and has been nothing but a team player.  He's been cool, calm and collect for this team but if they can get something for him and put that saved money towards the OL then I'm all for it.

Does he retain Robby Anderson?  If Gase is staying I don't see them resigning Robby and I see them trying to find a way to get rid of Bell.  With this draft being deep in WR and RB I can see a scenario where they don't resign Robby and find a way to trade Bell.  While impossible, I'd love to get an idea on who he intends on keeping around.  Does he pay Jordan Jenkins?  I would.  This may sound crazy but my offseason looks like this for some of the bigger players...

-Robby Anderson;  It would solely depend on his asking price.  Anything more than $10-12 per and I'm letting him go.  Something tells me he'll ask for more so I'm assuming he's gone.

-Le'Veon Bell;  I love the kid and what he's all about when it comes to football but if they can trade him for a decent return (2nd round maaaaybe 3rd) I'm letting him go because I can get another really good RB in this draft at a much cheaper price.  The money that is saved can be put towards improving the OL.

-Brian Poole;  I'm giving him an extension as soon as possible.

-Jordan Jenkins;  Really like the improvement he's been showing.  With a healthy Mosley and Williamson and with Q in his second year I think he puts together a dominant season next year.

-Powell;  With the deep RB class unfortunately he's gone

-Beachum;  Played well when healthy.  I would keep him around at the right price in the case where we strike out at Tackle.

I only pray that they release Winters, save the 8 million, and go hard at Scherff and land him to start the offseason.  Then they can focus on C and T and really upgrade this line.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

26 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

Okay so now that our beloved Jets set us straight back to reality my focus is now shifted to the offseason and improving this team.  So what does Joe Douglas do?  What does Joe Douglas' history tell us?  To be honest I don't know much about his team building philosophy other than I know he likes to build from within with building up the OL.  Does he make a move with Bell?  Bell has impressed me with his composure despite knowing he's not being utilized properly and has been nothing but a team player.  He's been cool, calm and collect for this team but if they can get something for him and put that saved money towards the OL then I'm all for it.

Does he retain Robby Anderson?  If Gase is staying I don't see them resigning Robby and I see them trying to find a way to get rid of Bell.  With this draft being deep in WR and RB I can see a scenario where they don't resign Robby and find a way to trade Bell.  While impossible, I'd love to get an idea on who he intends on keeping around.  Does he pay Jordan Jenkins?  I would.  This may sound crazy but my offseason looks like this for some of the bigger players...

-Robby Anderson;  It would solely depend on his asking price.  Anything more than $10-12 per and I'm letting him go.  Something tells me he'll ask for more so I'm assuming he's gone.

-Le'Veon Bell;  I love the kid and what he's all about when it comes to football but if they can trade him for a decent return (2nd round maaaaybe 3rd) I'm letting him go because I can get another really good RB in this draft at a much cheaper price.  The money that is saved can be put towards improving the OL.

-Brian Poole;  I'm giving him an extension as soon as possible.

-Jordan Jenkins;  Really like the improvement he's been showing.  With a healthy Mosley and Williamson and with Q in his second year I think he puts together a dominant season next year.

-Powell;  With the deep RB class unfortunately he's gone

-Beachum;  Played well when healthy.  I would keep him around at the right price in the case where we strike out at Tackle.

I only pray that they release Winters, save the 8 million, and go hard at Scherff and land him to start the offseason.  Then they can focus on C and T and really upgrade this line.

Has beachem been hurt every game this season? Getting rid of bell is not a very good plan

• Post of the Week 1

Bell is completely untradeable unless you think $15 million or so of dead money and no Bell is an upgrade. 

I just hope he stays away from big ticket free agents and builds through value free agency (guys like Poole) the draft and gets more aggressive in acquiring priority FAs.

No Jets prediction: Starting QB for Detroit in 2020 is Kyle Sloter.

Poor  guy had to come on “after” offseason, following a all time horrible gm who poisoned this team for yrs. He was smart to demand a long deal, because it will take a while to clean up macs mess. Mac was by far the most anti OL gm in nfl history.. It shows. However I think Douglas is going to fully commit to OL as number 1 and 2 priority for next 2-3 years. Unfortunately it will take a few yrs to build up a good OL after macs deflect for years..

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

The money that is saved can be put towards improving the OL.

8 hours ago, CurtMart said:

Bell isn’t the issue. OL is. Do we not watch NFL?  Or are we strictly going by the stats?

Where in that post did I say Bell is the issue?  Do we not read the actual post?  What I actually said was that the money that they can potential recoup from Bell can go towards improving the OL.  And yes I actually watch tons of NFL games.  Take a seat.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Bell is completely untradeable unless you think $15 million or so of dead money and no Bell is an upgrade. 

I just hope he stays away from big ticket free agents and builds through value free agency (guys like Poole) the draft and gets more aggressive in acquiring priority FAs.

No Jets prediction: Starting QB for Detroit in 2020 is Kyle Sloter.

This is true I don't see anyone actually trading for Bell and his contract.  It's unfortunate because there are tons of impact RBs in this upcoming draft.

8 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

An important part for him is picking who goes and who stays in the offseason.  Joe D probably will have his draft strategy down pat.  It's building the roster back up from within that he's got to nail.

I agree.  I think it starts with drafting a stud LT.  There are a few names being thrown around as potential first round LTs so hopefully they can land one of them.  Either Andre Thomas, Tristan Wirfs or Jedrick Wills who's draft stock is rising.

• Upvote 1

The O-line is the easy scapegoat, but there needs to be an infusion of talent at WR and RB.  If you think you can wins games consistently with a WR group featuring Robby, Crowder and DT then you are sorely mistaken.  O-line needs help yes, but the rest of the offense is far from competent.  

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The O-line is the easy scapegoat, but there needs to be an infusion of talent at WR and RB.  If you think you can wins games consistently with a WR group featuring Robby, Crowder and DT then you are sorely mistaken.  O-line needs help yes, but the rest of the offense is far from competent.  

Yes, the O-line can be an easy scapegoat but if you have watched the Jets play this season (and I'm sure you have), whenever they get competent play from their o-line they are able to put together scoring drives and (with Darnold starting) they actually win most of those games. So in this case I believe the O-line deserves to be scapegoated. Sure, the Jets could use more talent at WR and RB and TE. But Bell, Robby, Crowder, while not elite talents, are good NFL players and we've seen this offense utilize Thomas and Griffin effectively as well. So while the Jets need more weapons (Herndon being healthy would really help), it's the games where Darnold has no time to scan the field b/c the o-line collapses and there are absolutely no running lanes for Bell (pretty much all season) that have made this offense so inconsistent and look miserable so often. 

I really think there are only 2 guys you definitely keep and that is Edoga and Harrison. Edoga being a young guy still developing with some promise (despite his struggles) and Harrison being a very solid backup with starter potential still on a cheap contract. I think you offer Lewis a low end starter deal b/c he's been one of the the lone bright spots on that o-line. Maybe you offer Compton a backup level deal. Winters is def. a goner due to the cap savings. You can offer Shell a contract but I think he will want way more than he is worth. To me he is not starter caliber and he will want starter money. Kalil can go back to his couch. Beachem is an interesting option if he is willing to come back at a decent price. However, I think the need around the league for decent OTs is so dire that he will not be coming back at a bargain. I think he would rather test the FA waters and he will also be a goner. 

So, the Jets offer Lewis a deal, maybe Compton as a backup. They cut Winters to free up 8 mil with no cap hit. They hold on to Harrison and Edoga who cost them near nothing. And they pretty much start from scratch going after 1-2 rookies early in the draft (Rounds 1-3) and signing 1-2 starting caliber, maybe even big name FAs. 

That would be a start. That would give the Jets 2 rookies, at least one of which you would hope can start. It would give them 2 FAs you would EXPECT to start. It would give them enough depth where you can get a final 5th starter from one of the veterans or a rookie. I mean, that is the best case scenario and that would just be a good start.   

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

There were many plays yesterday when Sam had time and nobody could get open. Our Wr's are atrocious.

• Upvote 1

the oline didn't cause berrios, thomas, robbie from catching passes.  there were at least 4 drops in this game and most of those drops were uncontested.  this is not to say the oline is okay.  it isn't.  but there are some other issues with this team that also need to be addressed.

12 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

When can we get out of the CJ Measly contract?

Not until 2022 if we were to cut him.  It would be a terrible financial hit any sooner than that.  If we were to cut him after the 2020 season, we'd suffer a $25.5M dead cap hit.  Trading him would be the only option, and even then, if we traded him after the season, we'd suffer a $6M dead cap hit, and likely wouldn't get a whole lot back for him.  

Might as well hold onto him next season and see what happens.  

• Upvote 1

Douglas needs to rebuild the OL from scratch.  It needs to be priority 1,2,3 in FA and in the draft.  Getting Darnold a legit #1 WR is next on my list.  The best (and even the not so best) of game plans cannot work if the right personnel isn't there to execute.  A strong OL automatically elevates every single other player on offense.  It ain't rocket science.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

-Robby Anderson:  Only bring back at WR3 or low-end WR2 money.  Otherwise let him walk.  

-Le'Veon Bell:  No reason to trade him, as we wouldn't get much back.  Keep him in 2020 then look to trade/cut him after June 1, 2021.

-Brian Poole:  Extension would be fine.  

-Jordan Jenkins;  Extension would be fine.  

-Powell:  Bring him back on the cheap.  Because why not?  He's not blocking anyone's progress.  Even if we add a RB in the draft I'd be happy to let Ty Montgomery walk and go to war with Bell, Powell, and a rookie as the top 3 backs.  

-Beachum:  Let him walk in free agency.  We can and should be able to upgrade in the draft.  

Additional moves:

• Trade:  Jamal Adams
  • Cut:  Brian Winters
  • Re-Sign:  Demaryius Thomas, Rontez Miles, Alex Lewis, Lac Edwards, Neville Hewitt, Brandon Copeland
  • Allow to walk:   Brandon Shell, Ryan Kalil, Ty Montgomery, Tom Compton

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Bell is averaging 3.2 YPC and has like a $15M cap hit next year. Getting a 2 or 3 for him is laughable; MAYBE a conditional 5th.

Yeah the 3.2 is on Bell not the OLs inability to open a hole for him.

Also, don't get the reasoning here.  Trade Bell and then waste a pick replacing him instead of getting help where we need it? 

• Sympathy 1

I don’t see what winning accomplishes for this team now when for either talent or coaching reasons Darnold does not look functional.  In the wins, Darnold looked great.  For whatever reason, including the OL not being able to block the Bengals DL, Darnold was not good yesterday.  Take the loss, because that is what it is.  

The best thing that can happen to the Jets now is for them to draft four new starters in the first three rounds next year.  At least 2 should be OL.   Gase gets a fresh start.  If the problem is more clearly coaching in 2020, the Jets get a new coach in 2021.  

To meld the other threads, and admitting I am a conspiracy theorist, I do think the Johnsons had a bad influence here.  Common sense tells me that unloading players this season for draft picks was the better long term strategy.  Maybe someone thought it more important to get useless wins.  

I do think Jamal Adams and the Cowboys could be destiny.  Their defense could use him, and Jerry could be desperate.  His window is closing.  I do like how he kept Garrett coaching in the last year of his contract.   The Jets thought they should extend Bowles.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah the 3.2 is on Bell not the OLs inability to open a hole for him.

Also, don't get the reasoning here.  Trade Bell and then waste a pick replacing him instead of getting help where we need it? 

The OL sucks, this is true but you have to be blind to see how slow Bell looks now. Doesn't look like the same guy from PIT. Footwork is there but the year off seems to have taken a toll.

The Jets aren't trading Bell, he'll be here next year and be cut after 2020

the key to a good offense, other than a decent OL, is a receiver that can go up and get it. I saw Fitzpatrick just throw stuff up there, and Parker was just coming down with it. That's what Eli always did. Because, lots of times, guys aren't open, so you just wing it and hope for a penalty, or that your big athletic receiver will come down with it... We need that for Sam. Everyone in the league does it, at least in the youtube highights. So you can't always have these smurf receivers. 

4 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

The OL sucks, this is true but you have to be blind to see how slow Bell looks now. Doesn't look like the same guy from PIT. Footwork is there but the year off seems to have taken a toll.

The Jets aren't trading Bell, he'll be here next year and be cut after 2020

No, doesn't make you blind to see that Bell looks like Bell but his game is waiting for a hole to jump through and there are none there with this OL.  

1 hour ago, section314 said:

There were many plays yesterday when Sam had time and nobody could get open. Our Wr's are atrocious.

Yes they are been saying this forever besides Crowder they all run bad routes and get zero separation. 

Robby Anderson f you don't hit him right in the hands he does not catch the ball and he barely lays out or goes up for a jump ball. 

• Upvote 1

Robby can eat a dick

No way you give this guy the $10+ million a year that he’ll be looking for and some dipsh*t team will fool themselves into giving him.

Especially since the Jets are probably going to be in prime position to land one of the Top 2 wideouts in what is shaping up to be the greatest WR draft class in history.

Say the Jets land Brandon Scherff on the first day of FA. What would you guys rather do?

Spend $11-12 million a year on Robby...or put that money towards bringing in another quality OL like Joe Thuney or Jack Conklin and draft CeeDee Lamb in the 1st?

I’ll go with option B every day of the week.

If Bell was getting 20+ carries and 5+ touches a game was putting out these numbers I would say something is wrong here.

Gase has no use for Running Backs on this team. You saw in Miami when traded Adjai and you are seeing it here withe Bell. The pass run ratio yesterday was nothing short of disgraceful

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Yes, the O-line can be an easy scapegoat but if you have watched the Jets play this season (and I'm sure you have), whenever they get competent play from their o-line they are able to put together scoring drives and (with Darnold starting) they actually win most of those games. So in this case I believe the O-line deserves to be scapegoated. Sure, the Jets could use more talent at WR and RB and TE. But Bell, Robby, Crowder, while not elite talents, are good NFL players and we've seen this offense utilize Thomas and Griffin effectively as well. So while the Jets need more weapons (Herndon being healthy would really help), it's the games where Darnold has no time to scan the field b/c the o-line collapses and there are absolutely no running lanes for Bell (pretty much all season) that have made this offense so inconsistent and look miserable so often. 

I really think there are only 2 guys you definitely keep and that is Edoga and Harrison. Edoga being a young guy still developing with some promise (despite his struggles) and Harrison being a very solid backup with starter potential still on a cheap contract. I think you offer Lewis a low end starter deal b/c he's been one of the the lone bright spots on that o-line. Maybe you offer Compton a backup level deal. Winters is def. a goner due to the cap savings. You can offer Shell a contract but I think he will want way more than he is worth. To me he is not starter caliber and he will want starter money. Kalil can go back to his couch. Beachem is an interesting option if he is willing to come back at a decent price. However, I think the need around the league for decent OTs is so dire that he will not be coming back at a bargain. I think he would rather test the FA waters and he will also be a goner. 

So, the Jets offer Lewis a deal, maybe Compton as a backup. They cut Winters to free up 8 mil with no cap hit. They hold on to Harrison and Edoga who cost them near nothing. And they pretty much start from scratch going after 1-2 rookies early in the draft (Rounds 1-3) and signing 1-2 starting caliber, maybe even big name FAs. 

That would be a start. That would give the Jets 2 rookies, at least one of which you would hope can start. It would give them 2 FAs you would EXPECT to start. It would give them enough depth where you can get a final 5th starter from one of the veterans or a rookie. I mean, that is the best case scenario and that would just be a good start.   

Again, don’t kid yourself into thinking this WR group is good enough to beat the better teams in the NFL.  They are not.  They’ve beaten some bad teams, with bad secondaries.  

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Agreed.  We’ve been so starved for talent on the offensive side of the ball that we try to convince ourselves that this group of mediocre receivers is competent enough.  They are not.  Once we finally get some legit talent in here people will realize just how poor this group was.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1