What the hell is wrong with Maye?

It's easy to scrutinize any player when you witness a game like we just saw against a team they should have beaten.  The OL was so bad - it just seemed like on every play the pocket collapsed so fast - the bad penalties - the poor run blocking.  I'd settle for an inconsistent Maye if they just fix the dam line.

safties in this system dont necessarily pop on film, especially since greg routinely plays his safties at 18-22 yds off the ball.  It helps them in coverage, being able to drive on the ball in the air, but for the average fan to see what is going on and how he's playing without watching the ALL 22 film and understanding the defense its easy to assume he just isnt involved or not playing well. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Have you seen a guy recently who is in position to make plays and never makes any of them? He is killing us .

He's been bad most of the year.  

I know some like to claim he's better than Adams but he isn't anywhere near as good as Adams and has been a liability all too often

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, section314 said:

He looks absolutely lost out there. He has gone from being a play maker to being a liability.

35 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Overreaction 

Overrated. 

Maye has been okay.  People decided that somehow makes him part of "the best safety tandem in the NFL!"  I don't remember him ever being a "playmaker."  He's been in the league for 3 years and has 3 INTs and a 1/2 sack. 

42 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The entire D looked lost and not ready to play yesterday, even Gregg Williams on the sidelines looked clueless. 

Something is up. 

Well hate to say it but I see one pattern that may have some merit. The main leader of the D regardless of who calls the defenses makes the D very solid. It started with for a short period Mosley and then cut over later in the season to Adams and until it got up to a high point with Adams it was average to bad. Once Adams hurt his ankle yesterday and was no longer a force the whole D was dropped again from solid to below average. If he doesn't get healthy quick the same thing will occur again with bad play from the D, and with this team's Oline the O cannot carry the team.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tough job when you have to cover for the other safety who is at the line and running forward 9 snaps out of 10.

Wow, how you were able to turn this into a bash Jamal Adams post is beyond me and quite absurd. You are one of the worst kind of fans. 

35 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

safties in this system dont necessarily pop on film, especially since greg routinely plays his safties at 18-22 yds off the ball.  It helps them in coverage, being able to drive on the ball in the air, but for the average fan to see what is going on and how he's playing without watching the ALL 22 film and understanding the defense its easy to assume he just isnt involved or not playing well. 

This is 100% true. Free safeties that roam get a ton of credit when they get INTs which are typically forced by good CB coverage and Pressure on the QB by the front 7. On the flip side, they are the last line of defense and if they miss an assignment that usually means a TD so its on them. Typically its hard to tell just by watching the game on tv how well a Free Safety like Maye is playing unless he happens to get a lot of action his way. 

43 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The entire D looked lost and not ready to play yesterday, even Gregg Williams on the sidelines looked clueless. 

Something is up. 

-The entire D did not look lost and clueless. The Jets COULD NOT PRESSURE DALTON. That is one of the biggest reasons they lost the game. 

-The Jets O-line COULD NOT PROTECT DARNOLD. That is the other biggest reason they lost game. 

VERY SIMPLE. 

And to be honest, the Bengals are better than their record. They were due for a win and the Jets had to be ready to play. Dalton being back made a huge difference. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tough job when you have to cover for the other safety who is at the line and running forward 9 snaps out of 10.

Yeah that's what has been going on.

You spend too much time and effort trying to bash Adams, when he's pretty much a player who's play shouldn't ne bashed.  Its obsessive and pointless

17 minutes ago, PepPep said:

The entire D did not look lost and clueless. The Jets COULD NOT PRESSURE DALTON. That is one of the biggest reasons they lost the game. 

-The Jets O-line COULD NOT PROTECT DARNOLD. That is the other biggest reason they lost game. 

VERY SIMPLE. 

And to be honest, the Bengals are better than their record. They were due for a win and the Jets had to be ready to play. Dalton being back made a huge difference.

ZERO adjustments were made all game even after halftime. 

The D was terrible and the offense could only manage 6 points off 2 field goals against an 0-11 team. 

All the no name LB's there isn't 1 leader or hard nose badass player to take command of the D. 

Jamal Adams hurt doomed the D. 

32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Overrated. 

Maye has been okay.  People decided that somehow makes him part of "the best safety tandem in the NFL!"  I don't remember him ever being a "playmaker."  He's been in the league for 3 years and has 3 INTs and a 1/2 sack. 

Maye is pretty good as far as Safeties go, as far as his play, considering the defense has no pass rushers and is full of UDFAs, I don’t have any expectations from a solid NFL FS. Nobody clear minded would think otherwise unless you thought this guy was gonna be some kind of elite HOF caliber dude....Williams as a DC and Adams have been really good. Everyone else is either over achieving to being solid considering the talent/skill sets. my take at least 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He's been bad most of the year.  

I know some like to claim he's better than Adams but he isn't anywhere near as good as Adams and has been a liability all too often

I was pounding the table for Dalvin Cook when the Maye card was turned in, because the Jets needed a RB since they had none.  

I also recall that same draft I was pounding the table for Patrick Mahomes at 6 since the Jets had no QBs either.  The Adams pick was a pure lie by Maccagnan that suggested the Jets had a QB in Hackenberg.

Maybe things would have been slightly better for this team today?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Something is up. 

Yet they held 20.... O scores 14 rather than 6 you got 14 to 20, O keeps opposing  O of field while scoring maybe Bengals only score 14. You got a game.

5 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I was pounding the table for Dalvin Cook when the Maye card was turned in, because the Jets needed a RB since they had none.  

I also recall that same draft I was pounding the table for Patrick Mahomes at 6 since the Jets had no QBs either.  The Adams pick was a pure lie by Maccagnan that suggested the Jets had a QB in Hackenberg.

Maybe things would have been slightly better for this team today?

Funny how drafts were so much better in our memories.  We always hear about all the HOF players we pounded the table for 3 year down the road.  I wanted Watson.  I argued that his 17 INTs didn't worry me.  His accuracy issues weren't a worry.  His weak arm would was enough ad would work in the NFL.  He was a winner.  But mI didn't pound the table for him in reality

5 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Forget Maye how bout Anderson ? The Jets give this guy a contract extension and has done squat this year

The Jets are filled with Anderson type guys who are always great to have on the roster but they’re missing the two studs every great team has on the front 7....a la one really great DT and edge. And a CB lol. The Anderson’s are nice complimentary players who people are expecting too much from. It’s a bad roster. They’re only really good players imo are the safeties and the two injured ILBs

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The D was terrible and the offense could only manage 6 points off 2 field goals against an 0-11 team. 

Agree that the D couldn't get enough pressure to play respectable D.  

The Bengals have been involved in low scoring, close losses all season. 

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

The Jets are filled with Anderson type guys who are always great to have on the roster but they’re missing the two studs every great team has on the front 7....a la one really great DT and edge. And a CB lol. The Anderson’s are nice complimentary players who people are expecting too much from. It’s a bad roster. They’re only really good players imo are the safeties and the two injured ILBs

Agree.  Anderson would be that perfect addition to a squad with a real #1 and especially with a real #2

17 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Forget Maye how bout Anderson ? The Jets give this guy a contract extension and has done squat this year

Robby Anderson is at best a mediocre WR with an occasional long ball flash, there are far more better WR's in the NFL outplaying him weekly including rookies and journeyman. 

Maye is a very average starter at safety, just as he always has been.  Nothing wrong with that on its own, but was still a stupid draft pick, particularly after having just gone Adams at 6, while continually ignoring far greater needs year after year.

In regards to some of the excuse-making about the embarrassing loss to the Bengals, the Jets scored less than any other team against CIN all year (the next lowest being more than double their output, with 16 from the Steelers).  They also came 1 point short of allowing the most points CIN has scored all season.  Bottom line, it was a complete disaster on both sides of the ball, and there are no excuses for it.

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Funny how drafts were so much better in our memories.  We always hear about all the HOF players we pounded the table for 3 year down the road.  I wanted Watson.  I argued that his 17 INTs didn't worry me.  His accuracy issues weren't a worry.  His weak arm would was enough ad would work in the NFL.  He was a winner.  But mI didn't pound the table for him in reality

Mahomes, Cook, Watson...not only would they have been great picks, but they made pure common sense at the time.

Maccagnan’s MO every year was to take the most conservative BPA and consensus pick in the 1st Rd...that’s a job protector.  I swear he would have taken 5 punters in the 1st Rd if they were consensus picks, and then throw sh*t against the wall in every Round after the 1st...the reason being that he could look like a genius if he hits.  The Hackenberg picks comes to mind first and foremost.

When analyzing every move Maccagnan made I don’t think there is a person on earth who could explain how Maccagnan had any kind of coherent strategy or plan to ever build a roster like a GM is supposed to. Nothing he did had an iota of common sense.

As stupid as that mofo Maccagnan is he actually has some Maccevellian traits haha.  Guy is almost straight up Evil.  Everything he did was for himself..not the Jet franchise or fans.

I’ll bet those f*ckin coke bottle glasses on his face are nothing more than a prop too, like the 99 coffee cups on his desk, to make him appear intelligent, similar to a Legal Aid lawyer telling a murder defendant to wear glasses. 

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

Maye is pretty good as far as Safeties go, as far as his play, considering the defense has no pass rushers and is full of UDFAs, I don’t have any expectations from a solid NFL FS. Nobody clear minded would think otherwise unless you thought this guy was gonna be some kind of elite HOF caliber dude....Williams as a DC and Adams have been really good. Everyone else is either over achieving to being solid considering the talent/skill sets. my take at least 

I can kind of go along with this, though I probably value him more than I do.  He is not a disaster to have starting, but he isn't someone that should be handed a job every year either.  He also does not seem particularly well suited to centerfield. 

40 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I think Anderson is fine.  He is a guy showing why Leonard (and probably Quinnen) Williams was a mistake.  He is a mid-rounder with a fair contract that is covering the spot without a drop-off from our #6 overall, best player in the draft.  This post really shows that you're valuing Maye way higher than me.  I think at least Jenkins, Austin, and McClendon are better at their positions.  Probably Maulet too. 

I wish the Jets were filled with Anderson type guys.  When you have a team with guys like that, you might lose, but add a serious piece and you start rolling.  I think our team is filled with too many guys that do not belong in the league or true fringe players.

42 minutes ago, HessStation said:

This team is filled with depth/complimentary players. But we can't count on them to take over games or produce on a consistent basis. I like to think all this team needs to do is pile on elite guys, and we have a complete team! Easy peasy!