The truth about stepping away from this team...

WowOhWow

7 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

I've got enough confidence in my history of being a Jet fan to share my thoughts on this, which I'm sure will come with ridicule and snarky responses from the usual thread killers.  But here goes:

Since the Miami debacle I completely changed the way I follow, watch and consume information on this team.  I'll admit it, I actually de-prioritized the Jets.  Stopped listening to Jet podcasts while driving to and from work.  Stopped following all their beat writers on Twitter.  Stopped reading news articles.  Visited this fan site (which I love) much, much less.  Haven't bought a ticket or any merchandise since then either.

I stopped organizing my Sundays around watching the game (I have DirecTV, GamePass) and would watch the game on and off, without focusing on every play, etc.  I stopped getting into long discussions at work about them.  The time, energy, emotion put into this team was reduced by 95%.  My family can't believe it.  My wife, kids are amazed I did it.  I was a nut for 40+years.

And I can't believe how much better I feel.  I'm not exaggerating.  I actually feel better. and are much, much happier.

Watching this team, following this team takes a toll, and when everything they do is a kick in the balls its amazing how much relief and how much better it feels to step away.

When this team starts losing guys like me there are problems...because I used to spend.  Not anymore...and I actually feel great.

I guess I'm a p@ssy, huh.

Your health, the well being of your family & your overall happiness ARE PRIORITIES... being a fan of this team IS NOT. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

I've got enough confidence in my history of being a Jet fan to share my thoughts on this, which I'm sure will come with ridicule and snarky responses from the usual thread killers.  But here goes:

Since the Miami debacle I completely changed the way I follow, watch and consume information on this team.  I'll admit it, I actually de-prioritized the Jets.  Stopped listening to Jet podcasts while driving to and from work.  Stopped following all their beat writers on Twitter.  Stopped reading news articles.  Visited this fan site (which I love) much, much less.  Haven't bought a ticket or any merchandise since then either.

I stopped organizing my Sundays around watching the game (I have DirecTV, GamePass) and would watch the game on and off, without focusing on every play, etc.  I stopped getting into long discussions at work about them.  The time, energy, emotion put into this team was reduced by 95%.  My family can't believe it.  My wife, kids are amazed I did it.  I was a nut for 40+years.

And I can't believe how much better I feel.  I'm not exaggerating.  I actually feel better. and are much, much happier.

Watching this team, following this team takes a toll, and when everything they do is a kick in the balls its amazing how much relief and how much better it feels to step away.

When this team starts losing guys like me there are problems...because I used to spend.  Not anymore...and I actually feel great.

facts and facts.

going through the same process myself.  and that's why I won't be proactively and intentionally introducing my children to this terrible franchise.  just like you, I am confident enough in who I am and the time I've spent with this team to make these decisions for my family and myself.

• Upvote 3

For me it was the double tap of 1998 AFC champ game debacle and Vinny tearing his Achilles game one the next season.

My conversion to the dark side was complete. Now I expect nothing and am never disappointed. If they’re ever good again it will be a nice surprise. This approach immediately reverses Jets fandom from all downside to all upside. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

Didn't you say you were leaving the board 3 weeks ago?  And then come back 2 days later?  You're stuck in this misery.  Don't fight it man.  I'm stuck too. 

• Haha 1

Enjoy the Jets for what they should be to a fan.  Entertainment. Even if they lose, it is a good day.  You aren't at work :-)  Also good to remember.  If the Jets CS and players don't do their jobs well, you can still give yourself a big pat on the back knowing that your putting in a winning performance at your own job.  The Jets may be losers, but we are getting it right.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

I'm also a 40+ years fan and did the exact same thing you did, but I did it after the second New England game. Nothing's going to change until the ownership changes and that's not happening anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

This team needs sold badly.

Both brothers might be dumber than a box of Rocks but they hold an Asset, because they were born with a certain last name (and that’s the ONLY reason) that appreciates around $2Mill per WEEK...WIN OR LOSE doesn’t matter....Newsflash...They are NEVER selling....they ain’t that dumb.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

As I've gotten older, I have much less tolerance for BS and negativity of any kind and I definitely put less time and energy into things around me that don't give me some kind of positive utility.  I still love my teams, but I don't agonize over losses, bad calls, wasted seasons, etc... My son, who is 18, sees this and doesn't understand how I've become a more casual fan of my teams because he is in the throes of the youthful "all in" fandom for all of the teams I've sadly indoctrinated him into rooting for - Jets, Mets, Knicks, Rangers and yes, I apologize to him on a daily basis for this!

• Upvote 1

My approach is, recognize that the Jets are purely entertainment, and have no bearing on my actual life, at all. If they win the SB for the next 10 years straight, I don't make any more money, I don't have any more sex, I don't have to work less, my life will be exactly the same.

If they win, I enjoy it, I like to follow them, and be able to talk to my family and friends who are Jets fans. I like to post on message boards about the Jets and converse with other fans.

I used to let the Jets impact my moods, my weeks, no more. Those days are long gone.

If someone asks me what my team is, I gladly tell them the Jets, and if they chuckle, or try to make me feel bad, I actually think to myself, what kind of loser derives self worth from their sports teams, as if they have something to do with success or failure of a sports team, or did something grand to acquire their fandom. Like Yankees fans who act like they climbed Mt. Everest and were bestowed Yankee fandom as a reward.....

• Haha 1

I was in Mexico house hunting and missed the last two wins of the three game winning streak down there. Was really looking forward to sitting in front of the TV yesterday to watch them and... yeah. Good news is that I found a place and I'll be moving down next month. Also good news is that I know there's a way to get the Sunday Ticket down there but I haven't looked into it, yet. I'm interested to see what happens to my fandom, which dates back to when I was six or seven years old, when I'm just not in NY for most of the football season anymore (I'll probably be here late May thru most of October for a couple years, at least). 

I've been following Jets message boards since I first stuck an AOL floppy disc into a Dell. Don't see that habit getting dropped any time soon. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, slats said:

I was in Mexico house hunting and missed the last two wins of the three game winning streak down there. Was really looking forward to sitting in front of the TV yesterday to watch them and... yeah. Good news is that I found a place and I'll be moving down next month. Also good news is that I know there's a way to get the Sunday Ticket down there but I haven't looked into it, yet. I'm interested to see what happens to my fandom, which dates back to when I was six or seven years old, when I'm just not in NY for most of the football season anymore (I'll probably be here late May thru most of October for a couple years, at least). 

I've been following Jets message boards since I first stuck an AOL floppy disc into a Dell. Don't see that habit getting dropped any time soon. 

It's YOUR fault then. Can you go back to Mexico?

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

As I've gotten older, I have much less tolerance for BS and negativity of any kind and I definitely put less time and energy into things around me that don't give me some kind of positive utility.  I still love my teams, but I don't agonize over losses, bad calls, wasted seasons, etc... My son, who is 18, sees this and doesn't understand how I've become a more casual fan of my teams because he is in the throes of the youthful "all in" fandom for all of the teams I've sadly indoctrinated him into rooting for - Jets, Mets, Knicks, Rangers and yes, I apologize to him on a daily basis for this!

I was like your son. I was 17 when the Jets lost to Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship. I was all in emotionally. My entire existence revolved around the Jets during that football season. And that Steelers loss shattered me.

Haven’t remotely cared as much since then. I barely watched half the games in the last two years of Rex. 

Happy when they win, expect them to lose, life goes on on Monday.

Obsessing and emotional attachment can be extremely unhealthy, regardless of the fixation. I’ve been in a pretty zen state with all things for a few years... most specifically the Jets. 

I can still chat about them. I went to the Oakland game and had fun. However, they are not part of me. It’s just entertainment.

If you have to continually make threads like these, then evidently it weighs on your mind and still bothers you very much.

I think any normal person over the age of 12 is probably pissed off for maybe a couple of hours after their favorite team loses and then they move on.

The Jets were never making the playoffs anyway. My hope for that went down the tubes as soon as Darnold got the cooties. 

Now it’s all about draft position. Hopefully Darnold looks awesome the rest of the year, the Jets lose 4 close games in a row and we end up picking in the Top 4.

• Sympathy 1

I love coming to the board because I think there are a lot of funny posters here that don't take any of this too seriously. Hey, we're Jet fans, they suck, we know they suck. Every decision this franchise makes is the wrong one & even when things go right (Parcells), we still get kicked in the nutsack by the same hero we thought he was (We literally would have had Payton Manning if Parcells agreed to draft him), We would have had Belichick if Parcells just walked off into the sunset instead of saying he was moving into a management position. 

This is a franchise that hasn't had a franchise QB since Namath & they passed on Marino, Wilson, Watson, Mahomes. They wanted Favre, missed by 1 pick, then the GM that wanted him went to Green Bay & traded for him! We could have traded for him! 

Ive followed this team since 1968. If something can go wrong, it will. Mud Bowl, a roughing the passer on 3rd & long, a kickoff that gets blown back by a gust of wind & recovered by the opposing team, can we really call yesterday's game a TRAP GAME? All 3 Bengal fans were looking at that game on the schedule to get off the snide. Browns haven't won in forever...here come the Washington Generals..er NY Jets, Miami is winless...bring on the Jets, Bengals 0-11....here come the NY Jets, the team we cheer for is looked at as a complete & utter JOKE by other NFL fans. Including fans of OTHER BAD TEAMS! 

Other bad teams after losing to the Jets are DEVASTATED, they're like, how could this happen? We lost to the Jets? 

Games are literally officiated against us like we're the Washington Generals of the league. Parcells brought back a sense of respectability for all of us, Rex was fun but we knew he was like a Super Nova & explode eventually. This Joe Douglas guy better have balls the size of small planets because bold moves are in order to fix this team. Macc was a milktoast idiot whose boldest move was to trade away important assets for a chance at 4 QBs that he had no idea which one he would end up with. Everything he did, every draft he ran, every pick was the wrong pick! A 5th grader with a few draft magazines could have gotten luckier. 

Life of a Jet fan. Don't let it ruin your life though, because none of it is your fault, lol.

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

I don’t get to watch them much anymore since moving to DC almost 2 years ago. But they played in Washington and play i Baltimore and they don’t move the stick for me one iota. I used to be wayyyy more into the team and following. But they’re bad and keep making decisions that will keep them bad. Can’t be a “fair weather” fan if it keeps pissing rain. 

I've said it a few times this year, if my local team was any good at all, I would probably have abandoned ship on the Jets this year.  I was that close.

My ties to the Jets are two things:

1. Grew up for a while on Long Island, ~11 years.

2. Liked Green (my favorite color) as a kid.

So I was a Jets Fan.  Spent 40 years (so far) following them.  Sunk cost.

But here is the thing, I'm NOT a New Yorker.  I wasn't born in NY, and I've lived down here near DC for over 30 years.  Went to High School and College down here.  Met my wife down here.  My entire adult life is down here, I am a Virginian/DC'ite.  

And as the years have gone by, my ties to NY have diminished.  Family up there I never see and barely know, my favorite Pizza joint, White Castle, and the Jets.  That's about it now.

That's why it was so easy, after years of not following Baseball, to buy into the Nationals when they arrived here.  They're my home team.

But the Redskins......I just can't. 

Hate the Owner (worse than ours).

Hate the colors (Maroon and gold, ugh yuk).

Hate the (IMO) racist Logo and Team name.

And they are materially worse than even we are.  Amazingly bad franchise.

There is nothing I like about this team here.....except I could watch them without Sunday Ticket, and hear about them on local radio, and be surrounded by fellow local fans.  THAT is the temptation.

But no.  Not happening.  Not yet, at least.  If they fix the things I hate....who knows.  Lord knows, the Jets have no earned the love I've given them for four+ decades.

tickets in the family since day one when the team formed-own numberous pls have attended about about 300 games since I was a kid-I may attend here and there but my days of an annual commitment are over for a number of reasons-I am walking away from my psls-they have no value either to be sold-when you factor in the bad team and having to pay for preseason stub hub or NFL ticket exchange is the way to go-pay for the games and seats you want to go to while the owners get stuck paying for preseason etc... and since jets have been bad for years and no hope with Gase tickets are available well below market price on most games

• Upvote 1